Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JR Likely to Re-sign for 4 Years?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by johnk812
    source? it's all hearsay at this point and time.
    true.

this is the source

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Veteran

Metro - It's the same link as in the original post.

The CBA says it's illegal to do a side deal to increase the value of a contract so if the Knicks do sign JR's brother say to a 2 year deal with the first year guaranteed I would bet the NBA would look into that. Signing him to a training camp contract and letting him win a spot is the most JR can hope for.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

Can't wait until we sign him for 4 years so I can log in for 4 years to see grown men cry talking about basketball #teamswishersweet

12th man

Guy has a drug problem, apparently his dealer lives in Harlem
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    New York Knicks player and NBA 's 6th man of the year may have bigger problems than his recent struggles on the court. And the New York Knicks season came to an early end in Indiana. Failing to reach the Conference Finals or even coming close to winning the Title, the Knicks will have a tough offseason. A lot of things went wrong during the playoffs, some players played poorly, the coaching was far from perfect and, at the end of the day, Melo couldn't win it all by himself. And as the offseason is now ahead, a lot of questions are asked ... but Gotham will also have to deal with a controversy. During the playoffs, it has already been reported that New York Knicks guard J.R. Smith was spotted in night clubs before game days, he even drew public criticism of worldwide music star Rihanna (more about Rihanna later in the article), making everyone wonder about Smith's motivation concerning the NBA Playoffs.

Some big answers are now surfacing as sources claimed to IBN Sports Wrap that J.R. Smith has developed a huge cocaine habit. Sources also indicated that Smith was heavily using drugs during the Playoffs and at one point became quite ill thanks to his brand new "friend". Another source confirmed to IBN Sports Wrap that Smith's dealer currently lives in Harlem. That source also told us that JR Smith purchases approximately $1,500 worth of cocaine every 2/3 days when he is in town as well as $1,500 worth of marijuana every week. Despite not being legal, marijuana isn't the biggest concern in this situation as a coke habit may lead to bigger problems in the future for this seasons 6th man of the year. After being contacted by IBN Sports Wrap last night, the New York Knicks front office didn't want to comment about the situation. IBN Sports Wrap also asked Rihanna's camp for a response to the claims indicating that JR Smith was on drugs during the playoffs, here is their statement : "Rihanna thought JR seemed to be on something not just drunk, he was slurring his words and acting real slow.. that was turn-off especially having dealt with those mood changes in a prior relationship"

After being one of the biggest bust of the Knicks post-season, JR Smith's performance on the court may only be the tip of the iceberg ? Might also be why he wants his contract situation wrapped up quickly.

Originally Posted by skisloper
    We should use the 20 million over 4 years to start and build depth for 2015. We will still be good the next 2 years but in order to be a champion you need to have a game plan now......I do not think any NBA executive looking for a long term plan would include JR in that conversation....
    I agree JR is a bandaid right now but where can we get better for 9 million over 3 years? We can't offer 20 for 4 to anyone else but JR and in the interview today Grunwald was hinting that they were planning to give the MMLE to cope and/or prig which means the knicks can't make any moves.... That not for nothing is the situation the knicks are in. There is no quick fix way to dig themselves out of it. All they can do is gather assets and go forward until 2015 where they can Add a major piece (likely 2) and then make a real run for it.

I am not saying JR didn't **** the bed, I am not saying he will improve in the playoffs. What I am saying is the knicks are stuck and in situations like this you need to gather assets... Even if its to trade down the road for something. It was my main issue on not letting Lin walk (who not for nothing **** the bed throughout the season and the playoffs as well). JR is on a smaller contract than him for way less years as well. Just from a cap perspective he isn't a bad deal.

IMO if there was even a slight trace of suspicion he has a drug problem we wouldn't offer him a $20M/4 contract. No way Grunwald would sign an addict. And we're not talking about weed, which is something acceptable, cocaine is a serious problem.

edit: $1,500 of pot in a week? Dunno what are the market prices in the US, but over here you can get a joint that will knock you out for around $20.

Veteran

Grunwald was quoted as saying their player evaluations are not done yet and it was too early to say they would definitely bring back JR. Grunwald said not to read it one way or the other but that it would not be fair to say "Yeah, we really want JR back".

Maybe those drug rumors about JR made Grunwald change his mind.

All that is wrong with the organization summed up in bringing back JR Smith.

Any player who spends his time clubbing and going on binges in the Midst the playoffs...To Quote Mike Singletary

"It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Canít do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.Ē

JR will probably opt out but actually he should opt in if he wants to cash in...

If he opts in, mid season around Decemeber he will be able to get a 5 year extension (under the current CBA), if he opts out this off-season will only be able to sign a 4 year deal which doesn't make sense for someone who is in the need of the payday...

2013-14 will be JR - 3rd season with the Knicks & in the midst of the season he can explore an extension with said team for max-value... Now will he do this, its anyone's guess right now but a person that is from here, wants to stay here -- should take the better of the two deals, in my opinion...

Veteran

Originally Posted by Wargames
    I agree JR is a bandaid right now but where can we get better for 9 million over 3 years? We can't offer 20 for 4 to anyone else but JR and in the interview today Grunwald was hinting that they were planning to give the MMLE to cope and/or prig which means the knicks can't make any moves.... That not for nothing is the situation the knicks are in. There is no quick fix way to dig themselves out of it. All they can do is gather assets and go forward until 2015 where they can Add a major piece (likely 2) and then make a real run for it.

I am not saying JR didn't **** the bed, I am not saying he will improve in the playoffs. What I am saying is the knicks are stuck and in situations like this you need to gather assets... Even if its to trade down the road for something. It was my main issue on not letting Lin walk (who not for nothing **** the bed throughout the season and the playoffs as well). JR is on a smaller contract than him for way less years as well. Just from a cap perspective he isn't a bad deal.

If we sign him for 4 years at 20 million and he is NOT an asset then what o u do then.....Do not be short sighted....JR is not going to make or break us a team to win the finals.......There is no reason to sign a guy who crapped on the Knicks with his partying ways in the playoffs...come 2015 we dont need his 10 million for the next 2 years.

Veteran

"Rihanna thought JR seemed to be on something not just drunk, he was slurring his words and acting real slow.. that was turn-off especially having dealt with those mood changes in a prior relationship" -

Lets sign JR right now.....

Originally Posted by T.O Knick
    All that is wrong with the organization summed up in bringing back JR Smith.

Any player who spends his time clubbing and going on binges in the Midst the playoffs...To Quote Mike Singletary

"It is more about them than it is about the team. Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach with them. Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.”
    You remember who he said that about right?
    And how HE got fired, while Vernon Davis stayed.
    And Vernon made big play after big play.
    And went to the NFC Championship.
    And then the Super Bowl.

Not saying JR is Vernon, but I personally don't doubt JR's desire to win. I can understand doubting his off the court decisions, but I really think this whole binging/clubbing this is being blown wayyyyy out of proportion.

$5 mil is a bargain in today's NBA. Remember, Novak costs $4 mil. JR is LIGHT YEARS better than Novak, might only cost $1 mil more.

Sign him. He doesn't have to be a savior, just a role player. Or 6th Man of the Year again.

12th man

Originally Posted by Lercher
    IMO if there was even a slight trace of suspicion he has a drug problem we wouldn't offer him a $20M/4 contract. No way Grunwald would sign an addict. And we're not talking about weed, which is something acceptable, cocaine is a serious problem.

edit: $1,500 of pot in a week? Dunno what are the market prices in the US, but over here you can get a joint that will knock you out for around $20.
    I heard Amsterdam is heaven for the ganja. In NYC, weed is very poor quality and comes in small quantities for expensive prices. Ounces can go for 300 dollars or more. I know my cousin in Texas who can get an 1/2 ounce for 20 bucks.

Veteran

And then the Super Bowl.

Not saying JR is Vernon, but I personally don't doubt JR's desire to win. I can understand doubting his off the court decisions, but I really think this whole binging/clubbing this is being blown wayyyyy out of proportion.

$5 mil is a bargain in today's NBA. Remember, Novak costs $4 mil. JR is LIGHT YEARS better than Novak, might only cost $1 mil more.

Sign him. He doesn't have to be a savior, just a role player. Or 6th Man of the Year again.

Nate Robinson made 850,000 dollars.......compared to that 5 million for JR Smith seems like a robbery.

And then the Super Bowl.

The quote is apt for JR.

He is all about him. Don't expect pro's to be boy scouts but come money time it's not to much too ask for JR to put the Crown Royal down and get ready to do what ever it takes to win.