Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Optimism: Should we or should we not have it?

Hybrid View

Default Optimism: Should we or should we not have it?

In years past we have always ended the season with a lot of hope and promise and saying "wait til next year" but Im sensing that's not the vibe with the season ending. The sense is that our best opportunity as slipped by.

I get this feeling certainly, I mean after all there has been countless articles about our age and every key old player (Sheed, Kidd, Camby) gave us nothing in the playoffs for various reasons.

But, I'm optimistic! Here's why.

1. There are a couple of role players we are gonna bring back that I think will be huge!: Copeland will be back and will be playing for a contract, look for his D to improve this off season too. Kmart will be back and with a full training camp I like what he will bring. Priggs would be great and do not sleep on Q Rich

2. Shump: remember that playoff experience we all cried about him missing last year because of his knee? Well he got it! Shump was huge in our last game against Boston and Indy, those are huge confidence boosters! He has regained form on D too! He is over that huge psychological hump (I know from doing the same thing) that comes with this injury, it takes about 6 months after being cleared to be comfortable again and Shump is there...again all he needs to do now is just continue to rehab it to get it back to full strength

3. 3 million dollar exception: our core is locked up with Melo,Stat,Tyson,Felton,Shump, this may or may not be our starting 5 opening night, yet it represents a nice foundation to build around. Now players like Kmart and Q Rich get the vet minimum, Copeland and Pablo get Qualifying offer, then 3 million is a nice chunk of change to add a role player. This is not superstar money but its steady contributor money. Backup Center?

4.Continuity: This is huge! Felton is not out to outplay Lin anymore, that battle has been either won by him or is simply done being discussed, either way its a plus for us. Raymond is 1 more season removed from Portland too so no trying to put that to rest. We do not have to cap for major moves and that is good, the past 3 seasons it has been about making pieces come together and coach adapting to players, Players know each other and Woody!

Shumpert's going to be amazing next season.

i'd like to see what GG is going to do.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Felton is overrated and plays too many minutes. He isn't the answer at PG, not even the best fit for Melo. We need a future PG badly.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Felton is overrated and plays too many minutes. He isn't the answer at PG, not even the best fit for Melo. We need a future PG badly.
    I cant say enough how I would welcome an upgrade at this position if it presented itself, but it is not as necessary as many people think.

Felton was our most consistent player throughout the playoffs

more than a PG we need a 2 way PF! We need a PF who can grab boards and/or block shots and are not a liability on the offensive end.

affordable options

1.Lamar Odom
    2.Elton Brand
    3.Jermaine Oneal

Long shots

1.JJ Hickson
    2 Paul Milsap
    3. Earl Clark

For PG's I would love simply to add Billups to fill in for Kidd

12th man

Originally Posted by New New York
    I cant say enough how I would welcome an upgrade at this position if it presented itself, but it is not as necessary as many people think.

Felton was our most consistent player throughout the playoffs

more than a PG we need a 2 way PF! We need a PF who can grab boards and/or block shots and are not a liability on the offensive end.

affordable options

1.Lamar Odom
    2.Elton Brand
    3.Jermaine Oneal

Long shots

1.JJ Hickson
    2 Paul Milsap
    3. Earl Clark

For PG's I would love simply to add Billups to fill in for Kidd
    Billups is damaged goods.

Why do we have to continue this trend of washed up veterans?

We need a damn answer at PG and C looks like a weak position for us right now with how Chandler preformed in 2013.

Billups is damaged goods.

Why do we have to continue this trend of washed up veterans?

We need a damn answer at PG and C looks like a weak position for us right now with how Chandler preformed in 2013.
    The best backup and role players are former ALL stars in the league. They accept their role and they no what it takes to win, they are selfless and are not looking to do more than just win either their first or one more title.

Billups would be an upgrade over what Kidd gave us this year.

If we could get 19 solid minutes out him making the vet min than he would be perfect.

Tyson has been our most consistent player the past 2 seasons and he had a bad playoff run but he's still a top 5 Center in this league. Not to mention his struggles on D were a result of that stupid Zone we ran and bad calls, when we went man to man in game 5 he held Hibbert down!

Again not saying I would not welcome an upgrade at PG (or any position) but we did not underachieve this year because of PG play...in fact things went South when Ray got hurt in December. Kidd,Priggs and Felton all penetrated the lane but only Raymond was a threat to finish!

Give me a backup PG of Raymond caliber along with Raymond and we're good!

And Frankly unless we find a steal in the draft we are not going to get an upgrade at the point without parting with Shump and even then it may not happen! PGs are at a premium more now than ever so no way our 3 million exception nabs one so we gotta accept Raymond for better or worst and like I said we just gotta add a solid backup to remain steady at that position because being exceptional at the point is not an option!

Veteran

Yes .. we need a starting PG .. who? mystery?
    Felton is a decent upgrade backup PG .. that starts do to a injury in the starting-lineup.

Yes .. we need a veteran BIG to backup or start for Amare .. who?
    Yes .. we need a young-center to backup Tyson .. who?
    Yes .. we need a starting SG .. or we sign JR as our starting SG.

JR elbow to Terry will delay contract talks .. so if we do sign JR? JR must start with Melo.

Shump is our new combo-guard (6th-Man) next season.

Prig & Copeland put in work to earn a 2 yr contract from Knicks or 1 yr with the next team.
    Kenyon Martin TUFFness belong on the Knicks next season.

Kidd & Camby are our best frontcourt/backcourt coaches on the bench.

12th man

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Yes .. we need a starting PG .. who? mystery?
    Felton is a decent upgrade backup PG .. that starts do to a injury in the starting-lineup.

Yes .. we need a veteran BIG to backup or start for Amare .. who?
    Yes .. we need a young-center to backup Tyson .. who?
    Yes .. we need a starting SG .. or we sign JR as our starting SG.

JR elbow to Terry will delay contract talks .. so if we do sign JR? JR must start with Melo.

Shump is our new combo-guard (6th-Man) next season.

Prig & Copeland put in work to earn a 2 yr contract from Knicks or 1 yr with the next team.
    Kenyon Martin TUFFness belong on the Knicks next season.

Kidd & Camby are our best frontcourt/backcourt coaches on the bench.
    Have Shumpert as our starting SG. He's our future. Dude has emerged as one of the best young SG's that we know in the NBA.

I think we need to replace Chandler. Age and his NBA mileage has come to a limit. If we don't unload him now, we will regret it in the future. It'll be a waste of contract and value.

Have Shumpert as our starting SG. He's our future. Dude has emerged as one of the best young SG's that we know in the NBA.

I think we need to replace Chandler. Age and his NBA mileage has come to a limit. If we don't unload him now, we will regret it in the future. It'll be a waste of contract and value.
    If Tyson being wahed up truly is the case (a seriously debatable issue) Chandler has just 2 years left on his deal thus only truly burning us for 1 since the last year of his deal he'll have as much value for his contract as he does his game...again assuming you buy the notion he's washed up (I don't remotely)

Plus the best way to devalue a player is to dangle them in the trade market, if the right deal came Along I'd listen but we are hardly at a point where we need to pursue deals for him

OKC
    Miami
    SA
    Boston
    Philly
    Dallas

Are just a few teams who would dramatically better with Tyson! Not to mention we would be dramatically worst without him

Tyson's game can not be gauged but statistics; he's a leader he is why Dallas won in 2011 and why they have not won since he left

Too much is made of what Hibbert did in the series. We had the players to gaurd Indy straight up but we went Zone! Hibbert grabed offensive boards because it is nearly impossible to box out effectively in a Zone

In that 6 game series I got Hibbert truly outplaying Tyson on 9 total plays on offense and more than double that many when Tyson forces Hibbert to either miss or make a difficult shot when they were squared up 1 on 1

Tyson is a keeper

shumpert is the key to our future. it'll be interesting to see if next year he can get his numbers up and maybe be a 15 pts, 7 reb, and 5 ast guy.

1. There are a couple of role players we are gonna bring back that I think will be huge!: Copeland will be back and will be playing for a contract, look for his D to improve this off season too.
    How sure is this? I think it would be huge for us to have him back for another season.

Felton is slowest PG in entire NBA he is waisting time & overdribbling

In years past we have always ended the season with a lot of hope and promise and saying "wait til next year" but Im sensing that's not the vibe with the season ending. The sense is that our best opportunity as slipped by.

I get this feeling certainly, I mean after all there has been countless articles about our age and every key old player (Sheed, Kidd, Camby) gave us nothing in the playoffs for various reasons.

But, I'm optimistic! Here's why.

1. There are a couple of role players we are gonna bring back that I think will be huge!: Copeland will be back and will be playing for a contract, look for his D to improve this off season too. Kmart will be back and with a full training camp I like what he will bring. Priggs would be great and do not sleep on Q Rich

2. Shump: remember that playoff experience we all cried about him missing last year because of his knee? Well he got it! Shump was huge in our last game against Boston and Indy, those are huge confidence boosters! He has regained form on D too! He is over that huge psychological hump (I know from doing the same thing) that comes with this injury, it takes about 6 months after being cleared to be comfortable again and Shump is there...again all he needs to do now is just continue to rehab it to get it back to full strength

3. 3 million dollar exception: our core is locked up with Melo,Stat,Tyson,Felton,Shump, this may or may not be our starting 5 opening night, yet it represents a nice foundation to build around. Now players like Kmart and Q Rich get the vet minimum, Copeland and Pablo get Qualifying offer, then 3 million is a nice chunk of change to add a role player. This is not superstar money but its steady contributor money. Backup Center?

4.Continuity: This is huge! Felton is not out to outplay Lin anymore, that battle has been either won by him or is simply done being discussed, either way its a plus for us. Raymond is 1 more season removed from Portland too so no trying to put that to rest. We do not have to cap for major moves and that is good, the past 3 seasons it has been about making pieces come together and coach adapting to players, Players know each other and Woody!
    Depends on your goals...IF it's win the East FINALS ..I doubt it. If the KNICKS get through ROUND 1 it will be great. In the BIG PICTURE. The BULLS with DENG , and ROSE playing in the play offs they would be a better challenge to Miami than Indiana is and Indiana was better than the Knicks with a healthy Chandler and a healed MELO. This year with all the stars lined up we won the Division , had 2ND seed and got past the first round. I don't see better than that for next year...Chandler healthy brought NO OFFENSE, thinking about our back court against Miami or Indiana is laughable. We all love Prigioni's effort if only he could drive for any points in the paint and there he's a ZERO...there are 10 PG's in the NBA better than Felton and then KIDD should as Camby should RETIRE but they won't. That's pathetic. Copeland will improve and be another TREVA ARIZA..no more no less. He will be 30. So I am not optimistic about improving on this year at all. Q Rich BTW would be in his 12 year. You my friend must study up and what takes to the ECF and WIN....the retirement of LEBRON...for one thing. Notice I won't comment on STAT until his health issue is resolved. Woodson does what Melo tells him as he saw how CHRIS PAUL got rid of Vinny DELNEGRO and the Nets back court star got rid of Avery Johnson.

Knicks just to shore up their depth and make another run for it. Right now it really is about continuity and depth going forward. Idk if we can be contenders but the Knicks can build an identity and winning culture and come 2015 (I called this back in 2010) we can make moves to really compete. That year we might be able to get a max and a full MLE player to add to a knick roster that should be playoff worthy and have better overall chemistry.