Optimism: Should we or should we not have it?

New New York

Quiet Storm
Have Shumpert as our starting SG. He's our future. Dude has emerged as one of the best young SG's that we know in the NBA.

I think we need to replace Chandler. Age and his NBA mileage has come to a limit. If we don't unload him now, we will regret it in the future. It'll be a waste of contract and value.

If Tyson being wahed up truly is the case (a seriously debatable issue) Chandler has just 2 years left on his deal thus only truly burning us for 1 since the last year of his deal he'll have as much value for his contract as he does his game...again assuming you buy the notion he's washed up (I don't remotely)

Plus the best way to devalue a player is to dangle them in the trade market, if the right deal came Along I'd listen but we are hardly at a point where we need to pursue deals for him

OKC
Miami
SA
Boston
Philly
Dallas

Are just a few teams who would dramatically better with Tyson! Not to mention we would be dramatically worst without him

Tyson's game can not be gauged but statistics; he's a leader he is why Dallas won in 2011 and why they have not won since he left

Too much is made of what Hibbert did in the series. We had the players to gaurd Indy straight up but we went Zone! Hibbert grabed offensive boards because it is nearly impossible to box out effectively in a Zone

In that 6 game series I got Hibbert truly outplaying Tyson on 9 total plays on offense and more than double that many when Tyson forces Hibbert to either miss or make a difficult shot when they were squared up 1 on 1

Tyson is a keeper

petescud

Starter
your right, if he's gone what do you have to replace him with. Yes, the zone didn't help and i thought was to keep him out of foul trouble. If we had other defenders (aside from Shump) he'd look much better. He def needs to work on some offense though so he can get the other centers in foul trouble to balance his game

Wargames

Starter
What's all this talk about a starting PG? I watched a ton of games and the real reason the knicks lost is the pacers had the mismatch of youth and size on them.

Knicks need to get bigger and maybe figure out if Amare is going to start (when healthy) at the 4 or not. The Knicks need rebounding help and swing men who play defense, and yeah a backup PG would be good.... But do the Knicks have the patience to train one from scratch? Hell can they even train one from scratch?

Anyhow getting a pg in this draft makes about much sense as getting Hill a few years ago in a draft heavy in good to great PG prospects..... This is a center heavy draft if the Knicks FO come out of it without a decent big prospect there idiots.

smokes

Huge Member
What's all this talk about a starting PG? I watched a ton of games and the real reason the knicks lost is the pacers had the mismatch of youth and size on them.

Knicks need to get bigger and maybe figure out if Amare is going to start (when healthy) at the 4 or not. The Knicks need rebounding help and swing men who play defense, and yeah a backup PG would be good.... But do the Knicks have the patience to train one from scratch? Hell can they even train one from scratch?

Anyhow getting a pg in this draft makes about much sense as getting Hill a few years ago in a draft heavy in good to great PG prospects..... This is a center heavy draft if the Knicks FO come out of it without a decent big prospect there idiots.

Actually a PG makes a lot of sense. Problem is with only 1 pick and also a drastic need for a young big man to develop the Knicks are hamstrung.

As many people have stated, Felton is a good PG but he doesn't mesh with Melo at all. Felton is one of the quickest PG's in the NBA his game is suited to running and transition basketball (see Felton 2010). Felton's game is not at all suited to slow half court basketball and it diminishes his skillset greatly.

Knicks need a Rondo type PG who can be great in the half court setting or at least a PG with deadly 3 point range. If we start Shumpert at SG (yes please) we will need someone with a bit more reliable shooting stroke to share the back court with him.

As far as optimism goes as said before it really depends what your goals are. Should we be optimistic the Knicks can win a chip with this group? No. It's pretty much a lock that won't happen unless by some miracle Melo adjusts his game into being a more complete player on both ends and/or STAT comes back strong, neither of which are likely scenarios. We can at least be optimistic the Knicks will compete in the East for the next couple of years.

The main thing I'd be optimistic about is the hope we can maintain/add to our young core so that two years down the line when we can shed these horrible contracts we will be in a position to truly build a competitor.

metrocard

Legend

The patience? For what? What the hell are you talking about?

We just get a damn young PG just because we need it for now and the future. Theres no patience in it.

Do you want to stay an old ass fragile team?
Your way of thinking is lethargic.
Theres no change.
We have a weak guard rotation.
Melo, Martin, Stoudimire Chandler aren't going anywhere and they are holding down the front court in major minutes.
What good is drafting a big man going to do? The big men in this draft are overrated, theres only 2-3 worthy big men...the rest are being ballooned on hype and their college programs. Theres 3 PG's in this draft worth looking at...Burke, Schroeder and Larkin. Do you research on them and understand how a PG can totally transform this team.

Having the ball in Felton's indecisive ways, Smith's chuck coke sniffing hungover fashion and Melo's freestyle thanks to Woodson is unhealthy for the offense.

We need a new coach and a new PG.

SG - Shumpert is GREAT
SF - Anthony is EXCELLENT, top 3 SF
PF - Martin - A level defender, Stoudimire A level offensive player...wish we could combine the two
C - Chandler - former defensive player of the year, but had a terrible season in 13...will he make a comeback? either way, it'll be hard to move his contract so he stays at C.

Schroeder, Larkin or Burke will easily take Feltons spot, especially since a rookie like Prigioni was growing into the starting PG role for the Knicks coming off a reserve role (where most of us expected him to play less than 10 mins a game).

Let's upgrade...stop being a lethargic franchise.

If Felton was so great, Bobcats, Blazers and Nuggets would of stuck with him and let other teams draft Walker, Lillard and Lawson.
Ask Charlotte, Portland and Denver if they'll trade Walker, Lilliard or Lawson/Miller for Felton.

Felton holds little value...I don't know why fools worship this dude as a "New York tough" "right fit" PG. That's all media non-sense...theres nothing New York about Felton's game.

smokes

Huge Member
I agree with metro. Knicks are stagnant and scared when it comes to the draft. Always picking the safe options.

What worries me most is the performance of the Knicks in the regular season could easily lead us to believe things are all fine and good just like this year. Number 2 seed, some great winstreaks, wins over some of the best teams in the league even away from home. As we saw the number 2 seed did nothing for us this year. The Knicks need to find some kind of spark in the backcourt.

Knicks should forget about JR Smith. He's forever going to be one of those players that never lives up to his potential. A couple of lucky game winners shouldn't have fans forgetting about the 1-10 he went for prior in the same game, but it usually does. Shed his salary and use it to pick up a solid big who can contribute 25 minutes per game of defense. We have Shump who health allowing should be giving us 35 minutes per game.

Go for a home run in the draft with a PG and relegate Felton to the 6th man role. Keep him seperate from Melo as often as possible. Let Felton and STAT combine off the bench for 20 minutes a night of pick and roll and transition offense with Shumpert, Kenyon and Copeland.

???
Shumpert
Melo
???
Chandler

Felton
Shumpert
Copeland
KMart
STAT