Note to Knicks leadership

NewYork

Benchwarmer
An Address to Knicks' Management.

The leadership has to make everyone on the team feel like they are an important piece to the puzzle. If the Knicks learn to function as a team, trust each other to put in the work, then there should be no problems in team work between the people we have. The Knicks are going to have to learn how to make their offensive system work because it seems like we are stuck with the players we have. Woody should allow Stat be a starter and finally let Melo, Felton, Tyson, Stat, and Shump to mesh together. Once the offense becomes free flowing they will be naturally cohesive on defense as well. For some people its hard to be motivated to play defense when you feel that you're not trusted on the offensive scheme of things. Players are motivated to play on both ends of the court when they are rewarded with trust on the offense. Some players take it for granted and other players lose morale because its like, "why should I break my back on D when the other dude gets to chuck up 18 shots and miss 85% of the time without worrying about losing their offensive role on the team and also when they don't put much into defense themselves". A lot of players will obviously get offended and will lose motivation. The whole team's morale will go down. Melo wants JR back but I don't think JR should come back because he doesn't seem serious about winning a chip. Stat and Tyson along with everyone else will play better D in my opinion when the leadership knows how to be fair to all the players and get everyone involved in the offensive scheme of things. When there are players who are only depended on offense, and others who are only depended on defense, the team morale will be skewed. If you look at the winning teams everyone is depended on playing offense AND defense. It ain't fair for someone like JR to have free reign on offense and have others out there only for defense. First of all, whoever isn't getting a chance to contribute offensively will lose morale. Secondly, the offense will be too predictable and will make players like Melo and JR resort to making those impossible shots. Even though they might be good at making those kind of shots, the Knicks will never be taken seriously that way. If Melo don't learn quick that it takes more than trusting in his own or JR's abilities to win a championship we're in for some more depressing seasons to come. I don't question Stat's ability to contribute on both ends of the floor, although I do question his durability. He will be more inclined to contribute on defense if Woody learns how to incorporate everyone on offense. I mean EVERYONE. Tyson needs to be getting his looks, Felton needs to score, Melo needs his lions share but needs to know how to trust others and pass when its obviously the better choice. Stat needs to get his too. He needs a lions share too. Him and Melo need to find a way to trust each other and pass the ball out to make the offense flow better. These past few years they haven't had much of a chance to gel much but the leadership needs to step up and allow them to get things to flow whether any particular player likes it or not. We have our pieces and now we need to trust them. The organization is throwing down too much money to not trust the pieces we have. We need to let JR go. Him going out and getting drunk late during the playoffs should piss every knick fan off. He has the talent to be a superstar but doesn't have the discipline. Stat gets paid much more and deserves the role that JR received.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
*Added Rant* Although the Knicks' offense isn't a problem, the offense has to be spread out in order to pull everyone into the game defensively. If everyone is involved on offense rather than giving the ball to one guy and just watching him, we'll never get past as far as we got this year. The offensive is too predictable. Look at Lebron's and Wade's assist numbers. They're at 7 and 6 per game respectively. Melo needs to make the offense less predictable and average about 5 assists per game. That would round out the Knicks offense significantly. Melo has the ability to be top scorer every year but the Knicks will never go anywhere if he keeps that mentality. He needs to sacrifice that for the whole of the team. Lebron has become a true leader and involves everyone in the game. Will Melo ever learn that aspect of the game? I hope so. If Stat would become involved offensively I'm sure he would also be up to play defense. I agree Stat needs to learn the defensive schematics as well. He would have to learn to pass the ball out when he is double teamed down low because he won't be able to last too long with his rough inside play even if he is able to get those extra points through free throw shooting. Felton just needs to improve his shots because he is a decent PG, has the speed, can drive into the lane and kick out and has good court vision. It seem like when Tyson was struggling in those playoff games the team wasn't able to boost his morale by passing the ball to him more and letting him have a go against Hibbert. It was almost like letting Hibbert just gain in confidence and letting Tyson just shrivel away and not giving him any trust or opportunity to get one on Hibbert. It can be frustrating for a player.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
*P.S.* Look at the top scorers of this season. Melo is the lowest at 2.6 assists per game. 1.6 assist in the post season. Durant is at 4.6 assists in the reg season and 6.3 at the post season. Lebron is more consistent at 7.3 and 7.6 assists. The only way I see the Knicks becoming a legitimate threat in the post season is if Melo learns to become more efficient as a basketball player and knows how to utilize his teammates. If Melo can bring his assist average up to about 5 Assists per game the Knicks offense will become more well rounded and less predictable. Melo will have to let go of his Scoring but the team will become much better as everyone will be more involved in the game and more willing to move around and put effort into defense. We have such a good team on paper, Melo, Stat, Shump, Felton, Tyson. If these guys can come together and trust each other on offense and make that extra pass, I truly believe things will come together on the defensive end. Not that things should be predicated on offense or that things should be started by our offense but I mean at least in training camp, if they learn to play off each other rather than having the "gotta get my own" mentality, the whole team will be willing to buy into the defensive scheme and be willing to put that extra effort into it. Amare can score too and can demand double team attention but Carmelo has that extra level within him to be better. To get to that extra level is not by scoring more, he already maxed out in that area. It's by passing. That's the only way his name will even be considered next to the names of Lebron or Kobe. Kobe averaged 6 assists per game this season. These are the types of players that make their team better. Carmelo needs to take a page of their books.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
*P.P.S.* Carmelo is an awesome player and he demands that kind of respect by his skills but he needs to have a hunger to win. He shouldn't be satisfied by being top scorer. If he wants to win an MVP he needs to step his game up and learn to pass more often. The Knicks will never win a championship the way Melo plays. Look at Lebrons and Wade's assist numbers. Lebron averages 7.5 and Wade averages about 6. They allow their team's offense to be unpredictable and more well rounded which also motivates EVERYONE to go hard on defense. Melo playing the way he does, MAN, I'm not surprised why Stat is being considered to be on the bench next year. It's ridiculous. Melo knows how to play ball, if he would only get his mind to consider playing alongside Stat, I'm sure he would learn how to make the team run better. I don't see Stat averaging more than 2.5 assists per game but I can see Melo being able to average about 5.5 with the ability that he has. He just needs to change his "eyes on me" play style. When he learns to involve other people and change his "spotlight" play style, he will give himself the chance to win an MVP title, and MORE IMPORTANTLY A CHAMPIONSHIP.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
Drop JR Smith and pick up OJ Mayo please. HA. We don't need someone who's going to go do his selfish thing and lose it for the rest of the Knicks and the fans when it matters most. He's just destroying the Knicks morale and cohesiveness. What about the rest of the team that wants to win it? What about the people working hard and trying to do their best while injured? Flu? Yeah right. Hunger over. If his knees are banged up then its even more of a reason to not sign him. JR go watch Lenny Cooke documentary and learn up.

tiger0330

Legend
I can see you're a die hard Knicks fan and thanks for putting all the work in on this thread.

Grunny will make the right decision on JR. His coming back to the Knicks is not a lock and I am sure JR's character issues will be looked at.

I would hate to see the guy go without a capable replacement and OJ Mayo is not realistic given our salary cap restrictions.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
I can see you're a die hard Knicks fan and thanks for putting all the work in on this thread.

Grunny will make the right decision on JR. His coming back to the Knicks is not a lock and I am sure JR's character issues will be looked at.

I would hate to see the guy go without a capable replacement and OJ Mayo is not realistic given our salary cap restrictions.
No doubt tiger. Hopefully though, Grunny will be able to pull something off. What do you think the market price for OJ Mayo would be?

Kiyaman

Legend
Leader what???

RED FLAG Thread ....
What LEADERSHIP?

We had NO-LEADERSHIP in 2011-12 and 2012-13

We signed one of the Top-5 best Leadership Players in the NBA in HOF Jason Kidd,
butt Melo's power from Dolan override Kidd & headcoach Woodson player/coach leadership.
The sameway Melo override the Denver Nuggets headcoach Karl for several seasons.

Do u recall how Chuancey Billups Leadership took the Denver Nuggets to the WCF in 2008-9 ..
And the next season coach Karl was out with a season injury, and Melo went back into his old-ways of ISO, ISO, ISO, to get SWEPT in the first round in 2009-10 by Utah Jazz .. making Deron Williams think he got the best over Billups to say, "Im the best PG in the NBA" .. fools-hype!
Its not hard to visualize the outcome of the Knicks 2013-14 regular-season, and the first round series...

NewYork

Benchwarmer
RED FLAG Thread ....
What LEADERSHIP?

We signed one of the Top-5 best Leadership Players in the NBA in HOF Jason Kidd,
butt Melo's power from Dolan override Kidd & headcoach Woodson player/coach leadership.
The sameway Melo override the Denver Nuggets headcoach Karl for several seasons.

Do u recall how Chuancey Billups Leadership took the Denver Nuggets to the WCF in 2008-9 ..
And the next season coach Karl was out with a season injury, and Melo went back into his old-ways of ISO, ISO, ISO, to get SWEPT in the first round in 2009-10 by Utah Jazz .. making Deron Williams think he got the best over Billups to say, "Im the best PG in the NBA" .. fools-hype!
Its not hard to visualize the outcome of the Knicks 2013-14 regular-season, and the first round series...
Lol. Yeah well our team just isn't the same without Melo either way. We just have to hope he can adjust his play style to accommodate everyone on the team. Melo definitely has the talent in him rise above his current level, and like you I question his character. But he has to choose whether he wants to be just another top tier NBA player that never won a championship or become the MVP type champion he has within himself. Lebron tried to do it alone but finally realized he needed a supporting cast he can trust. Wisdom, some people never get it and I hope Melo does. He has a capable supporting cast, he just needs to trust them. Well, another thing, they need time to adjust and create chemistry with one another. Woodson has to just let them be and encourage the team. If he keeps on favoring players, they will never build the chemistry. Part of gelling together as a team is to go through a few bad games together and learning from it and not having to worry about the coach pulling you out of the line up (during the regular season). It involves trust. Woody made a mistake in favoring basketball players in the playoffs. He never let some players play while keeping others in the game while they consistently sucked for a whole series at a time.

Last edited:

NewYork

Benchwarmer
RED FLAG Thread ....
What LEADERSHIP?

LOL. I'll change the "leadership" part to "management".

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
This started with Jordan, continued with Kobe, well known ball hogs for good reason, but they always for the first half or so, will move the ball, draw and move the ball, setting up teammates early and often for scores, all the attention they draw, teammates will be wide open. What this does is keeps teammates awake and into the flow of the game, rebounding defending, etc. Late 3rd, late 4th, then you go Iso Melo, as it gets later, each possession becomes more valuable and more valuable. You don't want to pass the ball around, you want to go with your money man in his sweet spots. So with well rested legs, a group of teammates in the flow, Melo will close it out. Dirk was awesome with this, he'd have 5 shots and 4 points at the half, but finish with 30 and the W.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
This started with Jordan, continued with Kobe, well known ball hogs for good reason, but they always for the first half or so, will move the ball, draw and move the ball, setting up teammates early and often for scores, all the attention they draw, teammates will be wide open. What this does is keeps teammates awake and into the flow of the game, rebounding defending, etc. Late 3rd, late 4th, then you go Iso Melo, as it gets later, each possession becomes more valuable and more valuable. You don't want to pass the ball around, you want to go with your money man in his sweet spots. So with well rested legs, a group of teammates in the flow, Melo will close it out. Dirk was awesome with this, he'd have 5 shots and 4 points at the half, but finish with 30 and the W.
Yeah definitely makes sense, especially the point about the legs getting rested for the last quarter due to involving other people in the game.

metrocard

Legend
I don't think Woodson will change anything new coming into the 13-14 season. He will settle for what we have now and give it another shot at the playoffs.

He did the same thing in ATL...and it's not like we can fire him, he "led" us to 54 wins and we finally got out of the first round...so we just have to wait and get s h i tted on like Atlanta did.

Kiyaman

Legend
I don't think Woodson will change anything new coming into the 13-14 season. He will settle for what we have now and give it another shot at the playoffs.

He did the same thing in ATL...and it's not like we can fire him, he "led" us to 54 wins and we finally got out of the first round...so we just have to wait and get s h i tted on like Atlanta did.

Say it right .. Woodson will do whatever Melo tell him to do ....
Woodson dont want to get FIRED after 1 or 2 full seasons, it wont look right for Woody career as a NBA headcoach

Kiyaman

Legend

I dont know about the compare of Melo to 4th quarter Super-Star KILLERS .. Melo's 4th quarter career has not reach the 7th level of Pierce or Dirk. And Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron are a level 10 at being a 4th quarter closer.

Ball-Hoggin and Team-ISO with screens/picks are strictly a 4th quarter crunch-time strategy for a team top scorers (Shaq & Kobe, or Duncan, Parker, Ginobli, or KG, Pierce, Ray, or Lebron & Wade).
Ball-Hoggin and individual-ISO is not for the first three-quarters of a game to win a damn regular-season award .. what it does is divide teammates from accomplishing their Top-Goal of visiting the FINALS.

It is ashame that Durant & Paul George has prove to be a much better teammate (Foward) in the postseason games the past 2 seasons than Carmelo Anthony has done in his NBA career.

NewYork

Benchwarmer
With Carmelo's '14-'15 season being a player option on his contract I'm only being a fool to think that the Knicks will let JR Smith walk. The Knicks will definitely have to give a contract deal to JR in order to make sure Melo doesn't opt out the '14-'15 season.

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
With Carmelo's '14-'15 season being a player option on his contract I'm only being a fool to think that the Knicks will let JR Smith walk. The Knicks will definitely have to give a contract deal to JR in order to make sure Melo doesn't opt out the '14-'15 season.

melo will get his last big pay day by opting out for an extra year, and with all the big contracts comming off that year, we can resign melo, and sign another max contract