Ruh Roh - Melo Concerned Knicks Won't Add Another Scorer?

Seems like maybe Boeheim stirred up some trouble for us with his recent comments. Here's the link:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/source_carmelo_wants_knicks_to_add_CEAwADLl30fp4fM90J9oJI?

Take this with a grain of salt since it is coming from the NY Post, but we may start seeing soon that we are at risk of being held ransom by our star player in much the same way Lebron and Dwight Howard manipulated their front offices prior to hitting the door for "greener" pastures.

If this is true, not sure what can be expected from Grunwald. We do have a high paid second scorer, Amare, he just never plays. We're not about to go out and just get someone else. Heck, the fact we even have had JR Smith as a second scorer is more than you would expect given our roster and salary cap situation. If Melo's "private" conversations do help us get better and force the front office to make some magic happen, that's great, but I'm not sure this is even possible. On top of that, if our front office decides that the only way to make Melo happy is to go out and take on another crushing contract for a player past their prime (e.g. Joe Johnson with Brooklyn) or even worse, trade Shump in the process, I'd be very disappointed.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
Who said during the playoffs give Amare and Melo a chance to play together, was that Amare or Melo? Melo's stating the obvious now everyone knows there is no 2nd scorer on this team and it is killing their chances of advancing to June. The big question is how is Grunwald going to get it done, with just the MLE to work with? If he can add a 2nd scorer this summer he will deserve GM of the year, hands down. Given the assets, I just don't see how he's going to get it done, best trade chip is Felton? Ugly, ugly assets, Kidd and Camby have 2 years to run, same with Amare.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Melo should ask Grunwald to sign Allen Iverson, who's his friend.
I thought we've had enough of a) veteran players; b) ball hoggers; c) low IQ players and d) players with a known addiction.
:shrug:

edit: obviously, with uncertainty concerning Amare's health we need another reliable scoring option. There are some UFA that would cover our offensive needs, however all of them are way beyond our financial reach e.g. Ellis.

Last edited:

New New York

Quiet Storm
Wasn't Berman who claimed Shump wanted a trade and Knicks management did not like Shump's attitude?

I doubt Melo said this because he knows JR can score plus he knows Stat can be an option when healthy not to mention the scoring lift Cope gave us

These are not hypotheticals but things Anthony has witnessed, plus he paired with AI and they scored 50+ collectively an lost in 1st

Doubt Melo said verbatim what is being reported look for twitter report to rebuke!!!

skisloper

Starter
Wasn't Berman who claimed Shump wanted a trade and Knicks management did not like Shump's attitude?

I doubt Melo said this because he knows JR can score plus he knows Stat can be an option when healthy not to mention the scoring lift Cope gave us

These are not hypotheticals but things Anthony has witnessed, plus he paired with AI and they scored 50+ collectively an lost in 1st

Doubt Melo said verbatim what is being reported look for twitter report to rebuke!!!

Melo cannot be happy with JR;s effort in the post-season....He looks disgusted in game 6 when JR lost Lance two times in a row with 2 seconds left on the shot clock for a lay-up.............Maybe Melo does not want JR back.....

If Knicks offer Melo a max extension in February he will 100% sign it.....He is not leaving NY.........He also knows that Amare's contract will be a trade asset for the 2014-2015 season......so Yes melo may have to wait a year to have pieces around him but the Knicks will have alot of expiring contracts for the 2014-2015 season and will be able to get Melo the help he needs.....

whoever mentioned Tyrek evans or Brandon Jennings is insane....we need guys that make those around them a better player...............

tiger0330

Legend
Ron Artest, though he'e struggled with his shot recently but still not a bad defender. Only way we get a shooter is if someone is amnestied and he signs with us for the vets min like Rashard Lewis and Blatche. I know Artest would love to play for his hometown Knicks if LA amnesties him.

petescud

Starter
i agree Jennings would serve a double purpose (Can handle either PG/SG positions) though i don't see where we'd get the coin to get him unless we trade

Kiyaman

Legend
Melo cannot be happy with JR;s effort in the post-season....He looks disgusted in game 6 when JR lost Lance two times in a row with 2 seconds left on the shot clock for a lay-up.............Maybe Melo does not want JR back.....

If Knicks offer Melo a max extension in February he will 100% sign it.....He is not leaving NY.........He also knows that Amare's contract will be a trade asset for the 2014-2015 season......so Yes melo may have to wait a year to have pieces around him but the Knicks will have alot of expiring contracts for the 2014-2015 season and will be able to get Melo the help he needs.....

whoever mentioned Tyrek evans or Brandon Jennings is insane....we need guys that make those around them a better player...............

The best response for this thread, "were we the team to beat the Miami Heat in a series in 2012-13?".
HELL YEAH!!!
With a 9 Man rotation giving all 12 players playingtime in the series:
Tyson / Camby
K-Mart / Amare
Melo / Copeland / Novak
JR / Shump / Kidd
Felton / Pablo

What stopped us?
Melo Melo Melo stop us by demanding 40 minutes per game from an assistant coach getting his first full season as the Knicks headcoach.
Melo plays absolutely NO-Defense averaging zero blocks per game as our PF, plus taking over 30 shots per game with a low IQ on court vision on offense/defense, averaging 5 rbd, 1 ast, 1 stl, 0 blk, 3 to, and 3 fouls per 40 minute game. Melo's ego blinds him from when to take a shot, and when not to take a shot.

Did the Knicks have offensive-players on the roster that score in double-digits per game other than a 39% Melo, and 33% JR.Smith?
HELL YEAH!!!

Guards:
Felton
Shump
White

Fowards:
Copeland
Novak
Amare (the cure for Amare's injuries are Melo & JR sharing the ball)
K-Mart (the cure for K-Mart 4 year injuries in Denver were adding Billups to the team)

Centers:
Camby

All of the above name players given 5 to 8 shots per game will score 8 or more points if given the greenlight to shoot 5 to 8 shots per game.
The 4th quarter shots belong to Melo, Amare, Felton, and whoever they choose with the hot hand ....
Note: Novak & JR are perimeter shooters, that u dont depend on for tight-defense in the 4th quarter.

The Knicks biggest problem lies in our Franchise Player taking/calling all the shots for 40 minutes per game, but being quiet as a mouse on the defensive-end of the court.

The Melo vs Iverson story of who could score more each game, Iverson won hands down by averaging 10 assist, and 3 steals, but their teammates beat them both with a NO-SHOW in the postseason...

Kiyaman

Legend
I see Kiya is making up facts again. What world do u live in bro?

It had nothing to do with facts .. and a lot to do with my confidence in getting other teammates to score in a moving halfcourt offense, rather than the stand-still halfcourt offense we used all season, and in the postseason games.
I wrote my rotation of players for the postseason games against Boston/Indiana
I wrote 3 players (Melo/Amare/Felton) I would have taking the majority of shots in the 4th qtr.

Thats my opinion .. not facts

Kiyaman

Legend
I think you guys underrate Kiyaman, he's trying to scratch the surface and dig and grab the roots.

Thanx Metro .. but u know how it goes bashing Marbury flaws made members upset, bashing Dantoni's flaws made members upset, bashing Donnie Walsh stupidity for letting everyone know his two year plan, or who the Knicks are picking in the draft made members angry. So bashing Dolan stupidity for gettin involve in the Melo-trade when we were starting a 2nd round draft pick at SG made members angry.
Bashing Melo for making us the worst fastbreak team in the NBA, because Melo want to walk the ball for a slow-ball offense for 48 minutes a game to show ISO-Melo could score on double & tripple teams to get roars from the crowd, but it stops our ball movement and a team-ballin concept.

Some people want FACTS from the media or sports announcer about the Knicks when the best information on the Knicks performance is right in our GAME-THREADS...

Rob Low

Rotation player
I think you guys underrate Kiyaman, he's trying to scratch the surface and dig and grab the roots.

No he's not, he's trying to push his anti-Melo agenda at all cost. No matter what happens you can count on Kiya to somehow blame Melo and make Kidd and Fields sound like Michael Jordan.

Kiyaman

Legend
No he's not, he's trying to push his anti-Melo agenda at all cost. No matter what happens you can count on Kiya to somehow blame Melo and make Kidd and Fields sound like Michael Jordan.

u make it sound like this is ur first season watchin a 18 year veteran Jason Kidd .. the only time in Kidds NBA career where his team did not play "TEAM-BALL" were when Carter was his teammate on the Nets, and Melo was his teammate on the Knicks.

Jason Kidd became a HOF from years of leading his team to play TEAM-BALL .. ok u can throw in several seasons of leading the league in tripple-doubles too.

Certain players perform at their best when playing "TEAM-BALL" ....
Young Landry Fields is that raw SF/SG who does all the small things in a team-ball rotation.
Young Shump is that raw combo-guard 6th-Man who does the simple things to win in a team-ball rotation.
Young Copeland is a raw talent u fit into a team-ball rotation to throw on opponents SF.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
u make it sound like this is ur first season watchin a 18 year veteran Jason Kidd .. the only time in Kidds NBA career where his team did not play "TEAM-BALL" were when Carter was his teammate on the Nets, and Melo was his teammate on the Knicks.

Jason Kidd became a HOF from years of leading his team to play TEAM-BALL .. ok u can throw in several seasons of leading the league in tripple-doubles too.

Certain players perform at their best when playing "TEAM-BALL" ....
Young Landry Fields is that raw SF/SG who does all the small things in a team-ball rotation.
Young Shump is that raw combo-guard 6th-Man who does the simple things to win in a team-ball rotation.
Young Copeland is a raw talent u fit into a team-ball rotation to throw on opponents SF.

Rob I'm responding to his ignorance anymore... Do u notice every time he says kidd(who i love more then any player ever) he always says HOF like he's still even 30 percent of that version. What HOF thing has he done for the knicks? I can't anymore. It's pointless

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2