JKidd interested in Nets coaching job

Kiyaman

Legend
Pete Carrill's "Princeton Offense". Mike Brown hired Eddie Jordan to implement it in LA and Mike D'Antoni fired Eddie Jordan because he had no use for it.

Thanx .. funny how the SSOL is the same exact system as the "Princeton Offense" lol
Refusing a great assistant like Jordan sounds just like Dantoni, he didnt want coach Thibs on his coaching staff in Phoenix too.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
There u go again thinking its all about scoring ..
Game-6 was a must-win at HOME for the Nets.
Losing game-6 meant the Nets loss the series .. any top-10 coach knew this.
Coach Larry Brown and Billups had the Pistons pumped-up to the next level after beating the Nets in game-6 in NJ.
In Game-7 at Detroit Ben Wallace was so pump-up grab 20 rebounds (9 offensive-rebounds).
And the Nets had Mutombo & Mourning under contract that season lol :smokin:

Kidd did not become a HOF from his career poor scoring .. assist-leader, triple-double-leader, team-leader, improving teammates performance are all the tangibles that made Jason Kidd a Hall of Famer...

Yea but he also didn't became a hall of famer by going scoreless in all his games. He dominated games without scoring alot but not scoring alot is different then having an outright bad game at the worst possible time. He averaged15 and 9 and didn't achieve either of those that game. Now I'm not tryna sound like a kidd hater because he's my fave player since he was drafted. Its not all about scoring and i know what kidds intangibles mean more then u, I've seen him play hundreds of games. I'm just proving a point that all your blame is always misplaced. Lawrence frank didn't choke kidd did and he was the leader so it starts with him. Granted hes the reason they were even there in the first place. After they traded for wallace and ended up down 2-1 it should have been over. And 0 for 8 won't cut it and he would admit that. Funny how u place the stars blame on the coach to add to your point to bigup kidd but u do the opposite in melos case and put all the blame on him. By the same logic if melo is to blame for our failures shouldn't kidd have been to blame for the nets losing to the pistons. it can't be both ways. Its always the stars fault even when its not because when things go right the stars get the praise...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

tiger0330

Legend
Now I'm reading that JKidd is now the leading candidate for the HC job of the Nets. WTF, with guys like Lionel Hollins, Nate McMillan, Karl, Shaw, Larry Brown and even Lawrence Frank looking for a HC job he becomes the Nets top candidate . After dumping AJ and PJ to hire a guy that stopped being an active player just last week is unbelievable.

bluechox2

Benchwarmer
in other news, ewing is an assistant coach for the bobcats...i think one thing that brings ewing down is that he cant speak for ****, watched him on the post game a couple times, and each time the convo stalled like a truck hitting a brick wall, he needs alot of time to speak whats on his mind

New New York

Quiet Storm
Now I'm reading that JKidd is now the leading candidate for the HC job of the Nets. WTF, with guys like Lionel Hollins, Nate McMillan, Karl, Shaw, Larry Brown and even Lawrence Frank looking for a HC job he becomes the Nets top candidate . After dumping AJ and PJ to hire a guy that stopped being an active player just last week is unbelievable.

My feelings exactly!

I was just on a Nets website getting a gauge for how they are feeling about this possible move (trolling) and they all keep using the example of Larry Bird doing so well as a great player who took over as a coach and did not have any coaching experience.

Yet what is not mentioned is legends like Magic -and this pains me to say- Isiah Thomas who went into coaching and did not do well.

Isiah was simply an average NBA coach

Magic failed so bad in a half season not even The Lakers wanted him back and they were not in the running for anything but ping pong balls back then!

This is a gimmick move, it will sell some tickets but they will be no better than they were under PJ Carlisimo (however you spell it)

I mean they fire Avery Johnson 2 weeks after winning NBA Coach of The Month, they do not interview George Karl (NBA coach of the year) but hire a guy who was playing basketball just 3 weeks ago and has never coached!

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
in other news, ewing is an assistant coach for the bobcats...i think one thing that brings ewing down is that he cant speak for ****, watched him on the post game a couple times, and each time the convo stalled like a truck hitting a brick wall, he needs alot of time to speak whats on his mind
That just showed broadcasting isn't as easy as it might look.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Mark Jackson is successful so far with Golden State...so you post is really meaningless.

Meaningless because you have such a crush on Kidd that you saw what you thought was a negative post about him and replied without thought

what I was saying was that Nets fans are considering this a great move because Kidd is an NBA legend (he is 1 of the top 3 PG's ever in my opinion) yet an NBA Legend does not equate to a great coach, Bird and Mark Jackson are two examples of it working but I brought up two examples of failures (and there are more failure than successes if I were to list)

Kidd may make a great coach but with a team with that much invested in cap and that high of expectations hiring a guy who never coached before is dumb especially when the coaches crop is as strong as I've ever seen entering an Off season

Also Mark Jackson did not have a great rookie season coaching he had to learn the ropes and he did indeed learn them and is now an up and coming coach but he had the luxury of having a year to learn, will The Nets give Kidd that?

tiger0330

Legend
Not that it matters but Mark Jackson and Larry Bird were both retired for 5 years or more before their head coaching opportunity came knocking. Larry got the opportunity because he was an Indiana legend and Mark interviewed for quite a few jobs before landing the GS job.

Word is the Nets are offering him a 3 year deal so unless Brian Shaw pulls a rabbit out of his hat with his interview with Billy King I think you can expect JKidd to be the new Nets coach next week.

tiger0330

Legend
It's done. Brian Shaw whiffed, good luck Jason Kidd the new head coach of the Brooklyn Nets.

Jason Kidd has reached an agreement in principle to become the coach of the Brooklyn Nets, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
201306031208437033027-p2.jpg
Jason Kidd is returning to the Nets after playing for them from 2001-08. (AP)A formal announcement is expected soon and a news conference to introduce Kidd in Brooklyn will likely happen before the end of the week. Kidd's contract is expected to be guaranteed for three seasons with a possible fourth-year team option, league sources said.
Kidd, 40, will make the leap out of a Hall Fame playing career and onto the bench this season. It's a daring move for the Nets that promises to energize their fan base. Kidd is a revered figure in the franchise's wayward history, and the revelation of his candidacy has inspired the public's enthusiasm.
Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov and general manager Billy King have been strong advocates of Kidd's candidacy, pursuing the kind of high-profile – if risky and unorthodox – hiring that they had sought throughout the search process. The success of Golden State Warriors coach Mark Jackson has served as a blueprint for how the Nets think Kidd can grow into the job.
The Nets missed on traditional coaching stars Phil Jackson and Doc Rivers and ultimately landed on a superstar player whom they project will evolve into a good coach.
King met with another finalist, Indiana Pacers associate head coach Brian Shaw, for 4? hours on Wednesday in New York. Once that meeting had ended, the Nets moved to finalize the agreement with Kidd.
Kidd is working to secure the services of two key assist coaches – Lawrence Frank and Tim Grgurich – to join his staff. With no coaching experience, Kidd will need to lean heavily on the coaches he hires to surround him.

Rob Low

Rotation player
This is the best thing that could've happened to us. I'd rather they hire Kidd than Hollins,Karl,Shaw, or either of the Van Gundy's

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Kinda happy for J. Kidd. Wish him the best of luck. Maybe that's why his ball game was done. His mind was on that Nets coaching job....

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
It wouldn't surprise me if Kidd's there only for PR reasons (kinda like Jay-Z and his "ownership"), a Nets legend willing to coach a team with huge identification struggles. Besides, Kidd just lost $6M, so any option to even up his accounts was a blessing. Still, I wish him all the best, he did some good job for the Knicks and it was fun watching him in a Knicks uniform.

Kiyaman

Legend
Yea but he also didn't became a hall of famer by going scoreless in all his games. He dominated games without scoring alot but not scoring alot is different then having an outright bad game at the worst possible time. He averaged15 and 9 and didn't achieve either of those that game. Now I'm not tryna sound like a kidd hater because he's my fave player since he was drafted. Its not all about scoring and i know what kidds intangibles mean more then u, I've seen him play hundreds of games. I'm just proving a point that all your blame is always misplaced. Lawrence frank didn't choke kidd did and he was the leader so it starts with him. Granted hes the reason they were even there in the first place. After they traded for wallace and ended up down 2-1 it should have been over. And 0 for 8 won't cut it and he would admit that. Funny how u place the stars blame on the coach to add to your point to bigup kidd but u do the opposite in melos case and put all the blame on him. By the same logic if melo is to blame for our failures shouldn't kidd have been to blame for the nets losing to the pistons. it can't be both ways. Its always the stars fault even when its not because when things go right the stars get the praise...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I Blame Melo b/c Melo has never been a "TEAM-PLAYER" in Syracuse or the NBA.
I Blame Kidd & Martin for the Nets destruction in the 2003-4 season .. The Nets started the 2003-4 season with a championship-roster to win it all .. Mourning, Mutombo, Collins, K-Mart, Jefferson, Kittles, Kidd, Armstrong, and Harris.
In the 2003 offseason the Nets sign Alonzo Mourning who only signed to play again with his ole Georgetown teammate Mutombo, plus Jason Kidd received a 6 yr Max contract from the Nets in the 2003 offseason, with a verbal agreement in negotiation that the Nets were going to resign Kenyon Martin in the 2004 offseason.
Kidd & Martin's power in the Nets organization got rid of Mutombo, Mourning, and HC Byron Scott before the 2003-4 midseason.
Coach Lawrence Frank were clueless of being a HC then, and still is clueless of being a HC in the 2012-13 season with the Detroit Pistons. Lawrence Frank equal Dantoni the third coach on the staff.

Hiring Jason Kidd 3 weeks before the 2013 Draft night ....
This gives Jason Kidd the chance to select his own coaching-staff (Rasheed & Kurt Thomas for bigmen, plus a coach for the guards ???).
Kidd will get the Nets organization to select a top SF & top combo-guard in the 2013 draft, plus sign one or two old-head FA (Marion & K-Mart).
Dont sleep on Jason Kidd tutoring PG-Deron Williams on how to work the Nets bigmen "Lopez, resign-Blatch, and Evans" into winning the Atlantic Division Title in the 2013-14 season.
The Nets did not lack team-chemistry on defense like we did this season.
The Nets lack team-chemistry, and ball-movement on offense like we did.
Easy coaching job for Kidd...

knicksin60

Starter
I just have one of those feelings that Jason Kidd is going to surprise everyone and be as good as Tom Thibodeau and Doc Rivers.

tiger0330

Legend
Important part of being a coach is the ability to communicate and have presence, I said that about Woody and Patrick. Woody has a presence that Pat doesn't, that's hurt him being the quiet type. Never thought of JKidd having the same kind of presence that say a Pops or JVG have, seems like a nice guy so I wonder if he has that toughness that Pop and JVG have to get into a players face.

skisloper

Starter
Important part of being a coach is the ability to communicate and have presence, I said that about Woody and Patrick. Woody has a presence that Pat doesn't, that's hurt him being the quiet type. Never thought of JKidd having the same kind of presence that say a Pops or JVG have, seems like a nice guy so I wonder if he has that toughness that Pop and JVG have to get into a players face.

Considering it was less then a year ago when Kidd got his DUI its a great lesson for kids.........