Knicks need to be aggressive and buy Dallas' 13 pick

metrocard

Legend
One source put the chances of the Mavericks having the 13th overall draft pick on their opening-day roster next season at 0 percent. There is an 80-percent chance that the pick is traded before or, more likely, during the draft, the source said. There is at least a 15-percent chance that the pick is a foreign player who is under contract and can be left overseas for a year and not count against the Mavericks? salary cap. There is less than a 5 percent chance that one of the top five or six players in the draft slips to No. 13 and the Mavericks take him, knowing fully that they can jettison that valuable chip easily for future considerations. Dallas Morning News

We get the #13 and #24

Draft Schroeder, Giannis, Larkin, Grobert or Noguiera at 13

Draft Dieng/Ledo/Mitchell/Wolters at #24

Oldtimer

Rotation player
I believe that Dallas will want something more than the limited amount the CBA permits a team to pay for a draft pick. We do not have a lot to give that Dallas would want. I am sure that you, Metro, would be willing to give them Felton -- and I probably would too -- but I do not think Dallas wants Felton.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I believe that Dallas will want something more than the limited amount the CBA permits a team to pay for a draft pick. We do not have a lot to give that Dallas would want. I am sure that you, Metro, would be willing to give them Felton -- and I probably would too -- but I do not think Dallas wants Felton.

Here's the thing Dallas is looking to preserve cap space they do not want to pay the guaranteed money -1.655 million- for a guy who may not truly bring anything to the table....their logic is that they would rather spend it on a FA this summer because they are in win now mode because of where Dirk is at in his career.

They have about 42 in committed deals and the cap is projected to be at 58 or so...leaving them w 16...just enough for a max, being that Dwight has many potential suitors coming to the table with less than max money is crippling! And no way anyone takes Carter's contract (3.5 million) or Marion (9 million) from them.

That said Felton is out of the question unless they can do a salary dump in the deal...but the only one that would work would be Felton for Collison and Jared Cunningham which would only save Dallas close to a million along with the 1.655 million they would save in not using the pick...but doubt they would do it...yet Felton,Carter,Marion,Dirk,Dwight is pretty formidable

But Felton is not absolutely necessary for this deal to happen for the pick

the likely scenario is they would just sell us the pick and ask for a future #1 (kinda risky) or they may ask us to draft the French kid with our 24th so they can just stash him in Europe without taking a cap hit.

I do not think they'll sell the pick to any Western Conference team....No way they sell the pick to Mia because they are trying to build a champion themselves, Brooklyn is out because Cuban and The Russian don't get along;

so I can see Dolan being convinced to drop the millions....remember a team can send up to 3 million in a trade a year and being that Dolan dropped 2 million on Toney Douglas 3 million for a lottery pick is not out of the realm....especially since we have it to spend and will have 3 more million to spend July 1st when trades and signings for 2013-14 begin, so use it before you use it. MSG Stock is thriving so 3 million is a drop in the bucket (that's our support for our team paying off!!!!)

This is not considered a strong draft, read a report that Cleveland can't even effectively shop the #1 pick because teams are not holding much value in it! So if a #1 pick is being passed on then getting the 13th pick from a team motivated to move it should be easy

Does Grunny want it is the question? Cuz again I think it really is obtainable.

New New York

Quiet Storm
If we get to 13 we have to use it on a PG, being froze out in 2009 with that great flock of PG's still haunts me. Youth and Talent at the PG position is critical to us staying relevant beyond Melo's prime!

Schrooder, Larkin, Mccollum are 3 possible at 13

Schrooder has Rondo type potential

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Mavericks are looking for 2014 1st round or someone to take on Shawn Marion's contract ($9 Million) to make room so they can go after Dwight Howard...

If rumors are true, Knicks could be working on a deal with the Timberwolves... This deal would include the (26th) pick in the 1st round...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Mavericks are looking for 2014 1st round or someone to take on Shawn Marion's contract ($9 Million) to make room so they can go after Dwight Howard...

If rumors are true, Knicks could be working on a deal with the Timberwolves... This deal would include the (26th) pick in the 1st round...

Here is the only way I see us accommodating Dallas

3 team trade w Charlotte

we get 13th pick

Charlotte gets Marion, 24th pick from us and Copeland

Dallas sheds itself of Marion's contract giving them about 25 million in cap space

Dallas signs Dwight and then does a sign

they then can trade w LAC swapping Collison and Beabois and a future first rounder for CP3

CP3
Carter
Crowder
Dirk
Howard

or trade Beabois and Cunningham for Josh Smith

Collinson
Carter
Smith
Dirk
Howard

or Beabois and Cunningham for Ellis

Collison
Ellis
Carter
Dirk Dwight

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Dallas isn't looking for CP3, just D12 via free agency that is why they are trying to shed cap space... They were rumors last year and a few years ago about Monta Ellis and Howard... All speculations, until it happens nothing eminent...

New New York

Quiet Storm
Dallas isn't looking for CP3, just D12 via free agency that is why they are trying to shed cap space... They were rumors last year and a few years ago about Monta Ellis and Howard... All speculations, until it happens nothing eminent...

Cuban wants to make a splash because he broke up his championship team for this particular Summer he needs to convince his fans it was worth it, so while they may not have mentioned CP3 (yet) no way he's not a consideration especially of they land Dwight and especially if they could dump Marion

think about it....they already have enough cap to land Dwight the reason to dump The Matrix would be to add another Max and again why wouldn't they want Paul

Kiyaman

Legend
WOW! The CBA new super-duper Luxury-Tax is hurting every NBA team (Low-market more than Big-market teams), plus making the league teams weaker each season.

Dallas did not make the 2012-13 playoffs .. although their veteran leadership players Dirk & Matrix kept the Mavs as a .500 performance team. Both players are to valuable to the Dallas Mavs organization to trade any time soon.
Rick Carlisle, Dirk, and Matrix are the Mavs Fans building back-bone.

Cuban will dish out the money in the offseason for a FA and the Mavs 2013 draft pick to be in the 2014 playoffs.
GS is looking to buy an early first-round draft pick, and Cuban is looking to see how much they are willing to spend in players & cash.