Knicks Biggest Trade Chip During 2013 Offseason?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
WOW! the next four seasons.
rofl_emoticon.gif

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
There are many moves this team could be making this off-season including retaining via multiple team trades players ie:

Thomas Robinson
Malcolm Lee
Tyreke Evans

are the top 3 that this team should be targeting...

Other notables would be:

Patrick Mills
Luke Ridnour
Deandre Jordan
Eric Bledsoe

Can we get younger, while having accrued trade stock with the players we acquire this off-season... Anything is possible but the main focus is the Championship... So can we build out or team with moving certain players -- the answer is Yes!!! Good Coaching and complimentary players can help us take the next step... Having Chandler helped this organization turn it around but if we can bolster our entire team by moving him it has to be considered...

By chance if Stat doesn't complete yet another season, he has to have it in his mind to retire... Or at worst the team will do everything to try and buy him out after this season... That will open the door for one big splash or a continued movement of growing this roster... As of right now their concern is how to take this nucleus around Melo and make it better...

metrocard

Legend
There are many moves this team could be making this off-season including retaining via multiple team trades players ie:

Thomas Robinson
Malcolm Lee
Tyreke Evans

are the top 3 that this team should be targeting...

Other notables would be:

Patrick Mills
Luke Ridnour
Deandre Jordan
Eric Bledsoe

Can we get younger, while having accrued trade stock with the players we acquire this off-season... Anything is possible but the main focus is the Championship... So can we build out or team with moving certain players -- the answer is Yes!!! Good Coaching and complimentary players can help us take the next step... Having Chandler helped this organization turn it around but if we can bolster our entire team by moving him it has to be considered...

By chance if Stat doesn't complete yet another season, he has to have it in his mind to retire... Or at worst the team will do everything to try and buy him out after this season... That will open the door for one big splash or a continued movement of growing this roster... As of right now their concern is how to take this nucleus around Melo and make it better...

Malcolm Lee isn't that good.

Evans and Robinson are talented, but not much possibly of the Knicks acquiring these guys. We only have a shot at landing draft picks and undiscovered talent through the draft. A lot depends on New York's #24 pick.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Malcolm Lee isn't that good.

Evans and Robinson are talented, but not much possibly of the Knicks acquiring these guys. We only have a shot at landing draft picks and undiscovered talent through the draft. A lot depends on New York's #24 pick.

Lee is a defensive player who could become a valuable rotation player behind Shumpert... Extremely undervalued, has enough potential to become a solid rotational player... Basically another body like Shump, where our rotation for that position will stay constant... Now I am not saying right now he is equal to Iman, but a season or two he could be...

Not really into Robinson, even tho his athleticism impresses... If Melo stays at the 4, I don't see the reason to bring him in... Yes he has good size but not for the center position... He is way to big for the 3, so unless he is coming in as the 6th man it would be a waste of a move... Of course, if Melo moves back to the 3 then going after Robinson would be ideal, specially his game is rebounding first, something we lack as a team...

Evans is slasher, driving wing player that has very good ball skills and has good IQ... Might be troublesome, but new scenery might be good for him... If Sacramento is truly done with him, then rather letting him walk they would want to get something in return... Might not be glamorous -- Novak, Camby & OKC 2nd Rounder, but it gives them something to work with... Camby would be more of a mentor to Cousins, and Novak is that pure shooter they don't have... Every team can always use another draft selection, basically a freebie...

All what ifs... If we are to get younger while improving our team... The Rockets are trying to make a play for Howard and are likely to field offers for Robinson, and Kings done with Evans... If trading is the key to acquire these players, then why not... Will any or all of these players improve our current roster... Can we get Lee, for the trade exception on Brewer, depends on or if all parties are willing...

If Grunny does trade T.C., and is willing to part with Novak & Camby to acquire these players then who knows... I'm not saying the Knicks will do this, just saying its a possibility...

metrocard

Legend
Lee is a defensive player, but he's horrible at everything else. He's barely half the player Ronnie Brewer is and Ronnie lost his playing time on this team. Everything Lee does, Shumpert does 10X better.

Lee averages
9 ppg
4 rpg
3 asp
on 39% FG
on 29% 3PT
on 70% FT

He's better than James White, I give you that. He's still young, only 22. Has time to grow and improve his game. But he isn't a guy who we should make a priority. He's a summer league invite at best.

metrocard

Legend
Thomas Robinson's strength is rebounding and wacky defense. He hacks a lot. Offensively, he's a mess. Shoots 43% on 3 turnovers per 36 minutes, he's also foul prone. I would say to bring him over, but Knicks normally stink at developing big men not named David Lee.

metrocard

Legend
I don't think Evans or Cousins would make the Knicks a better team, just a more talented roster.

It'll be the Steve Francis/Crawford/Marbury/Randolph/Curry saga again.

It's not a good blend of players.

Evans and Cousins are ball dominant players who don't play well with off the ball.

Melo is a league leading scoring and we need to surround him with guys who can score big time off the ball. Marc Gasol would be ideal.

Evans can work if he comes here looking to penetrate and pass which he's very strong at when he chooses to. The problem with Evans is that his jumper is broken and it cancels out his game.

Cousins is too turnover prone, shoots 45% from the FG which is bad for a center, he doesn't play defense and isn't the best teammate in the league.

Knicks only have a 3-4 year window in winning a championship. We need bigger moves than Evans/Cousins....two guys who don't even know what it takes to win in the NBA and have been playing lottery style of basketball all their careers.

metrocard

Legend
I think Knicks need to find some steals in the draft and hope they break out. (Danny Granger, David West type picks)

Kiyaman

Legend

u think that now .. the next four seasons we will have Melo & JR controling our offense with selfish ISO-plays.

We need a lot of veteran mature players on our roster to teach whatever young players added how to deal with the selfish-offense, plus putting up with Woody yanking them out of a game while screaming at them for committing one mistake that they see Melo & JR committing 5 to 6 times before halftime.
This offseason, I already see a raw Copeland signing with the first team that give him an offer.
Players Novak, Shump, and Felton are not happy playing in our ISO-offense, because it does not benefit their best skills as a NBA player.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
u think that now ..

I think this always... I think it is funny how people have no optimism, that the team could be better... There is so much negativity, when it reality they proved it can work...

Listen if Felton doesn't like what this team is doing then all he has to do is say "Trade Me" but he loves New York and doesn't want to go anywhere... Same goes with Novak and Shumpert...

Shumpert isn't complaining b/c his game was elevated to a new level this season, especially after his horrific injury... He was able to be more effective both offensively and defensively...

As for Novak, an one dimensional player that can only shoot if he is open b/c he has no ball skills to create his own shot...

Chandler, Sheed, Thomas, J.R. and Camby are all banged up and how do you want them to run any other particular style of offense... They had to run ISO plays for those who could do something with it... Just look how Kidd ran out of gas in the playoffs... So much for aged Veterans that need crutches to walk up and down the court...

Carmelo Anthony isn't the same player as he was in Denver, he might not be like most veteran players but he knows what he needs to help this team succeed... When he is the only player on the court scoring then during those moments it becomes all about him... He basically said without saying it that we need another scorer... Imo, he was talking someone other than J.R. and himself... Can't count on Felton or Shumpert consistently until they prove themselves... Then there is no production from T.C. when he is on the court... With Stat its like a switch sometimes its on but most of the time its off...

None of the players have to like Woodson, all they have to do is respect him as a coach... If he puts them in the right position to win, then he is doing his job... Like the players, Woodson is just another commodity owned/hired/paid by the Knicks organization... If he doesn't do his part then he will be out the door quickly... If those players you mentioned don't like him they can stand up and say something...

Just remember this team won 54 games this season, for them and how they got there must of not been as bad as you are making it out to be... Getting some younger, athletic players with good ideals and support will go along way to improving what this team did this season... Continue to sign aging veterans, will have the same ending next year as was this year... During the season all pop, in the playoffs all flat...

nyk_nyk

All Star
Knicks scouting team will be the most important group this offseason. They will have to get it 100% right in the draft because I'm not sure outside of trading Chandler that we can get an impactful rotation player with just the minimum salary and 3 million to offer. The problem is that we need a couple pieces to round out the team. Backup PF, C, SF, PG. This draft I believe has a few hidden gems and if we could get one of them it would make Grunwald's job that much easier. The guy we draft has to be able to contribute right away sort of how Shumpert did.

As of right now I don't see the team having another 50+ win season. The team is too bare and unpredictable. Will Amare contribute? Will Felton improve? Will Kmart return? Will Cope return? Will JR return? Will Novak improve? Will Tyson develop some offense?

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Knicks scouting team will be the most important group this offseason. They will have to get it 100% right in the draft because I'm not sure outside of trading Chandler that we can get an impactful rotation player with just the minimum salary and 3 million to offer. The problem is that we need a couple pieces to round out the team. Backup PF, C, SF, PG.

Will Amare contribute? Will Felton improve? Will Kmart return? Will Cope return? Will JR return? Will Novak improve? Will Tyson develop some offense?

I agree the scouting teams need to get it right...

There are a few gems that will fall to 24, one of them could be F Tony Mitchell...

Outside a possible move to trade Chandler could we acquire a few pieces for him... There are other trades that could be made, T.C. is not the only one...

One player who could can be a compliment to our current PG Raymond Felton is Patrick Mills whom exercised his player option for $1,133,950, a trade with the Spurs for this kid would be a smart move...

Will Pablo Prigioni get an offer from another team this season or will the Knicks qualifying offer bring him back, lets hope so...

Mills is only 24... He is a above average spot up shooter from both mid range and 3 Pter...

Behind Iman at 2G, Knicks could draft Tony Mitchell bring him along while re-signing J.R. and trading for Evans... This would strengthen our core...

It basically comes down on who or if we make that T.C. move to strengthen our front court...

Using MLE, could get a quality big man to compliment Melo at the 4... Which free agent center would compliment him the best, is someone that is a good rebounding and athletic center... Andray Blatche??? JJ Hickson???

Could see Amare contributing but for how long??? Felton is decent enough but his rotation behind him is one sided or it was... K-Mart looks like he wants to return... Doubt Copeland will stay or Knicks be able to match any offer he gets... J.R. states he wants to retire a Knick, but could be offered out of the Knicks range and could get starter money with his performance last season, so planning to be without him is must... Novak is a one trick pony... The only offense T.C. will learn is his one way ticket out of New York via trade...

Kiyaman

Legend
I think this always... I think it is funny how people have no optimism, that the team could be better... There is so much negativity, when it reality they proved it can work....

What decade old Knicks-Fan do u know dont have optimism in the Knicks? I havnt met any.

Every team have its negative-weakness as well as their positive-strength .. both need to be up in the air to be worked on.

The 2012-13 Knicks team success seem to always come down to the final minutes of each game, so the reality of the Knicks winning 54 games really came down to the Knicks 4th quarter line-up of each game PROVIDING STOPS (not points) .. our lowest scoring quarters in the 2012-13 season were our 4th quarter and first quarter of the game.
Tyson Chandler & Jason Kidd (Kenyon Martin too) performed as super-star defensive-role-players in our 4th quarters ... The three-some prove it could work with STOPS, not our low-scoring in the 4th quarter scorers Melo/JR. check our 4th quarter stats.
Do the math .. do u actually believe HOF Jason Kidd could have gotten a NBA Head-Coach job last off-season???

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
What decade old Knicks-Fan do u know dont have optimism in the Knicks? I havnt met any.

Every team have its negative-weakness as well as their positive-strength .. both need to be up in the air to be worked on.

The 2012-13 Knicks team success seem to always come down to the final minutes of each game, so the reality of the Knicks winning 54 games really came down to the Knicks 4th quarter line-up of each game PROVIDING STOPS (not points) .. our lowest scoring quarters in the 2012-13 season were our 4th quarter and first quarter of the game.
Tyson Chandler & Jason Kidd (Kenyon Martin too) performed as super-star defensive-role-players in our 4th quarters ... The three-some prove it could work with STOPS, not our low-scoring in the 4th quarter scorers Melo/JR. check our 4th quarter stats.
Do the math .. do u actually believe HOF Jason Kidd could have gotten a NBA Head-Coach job last off-season???

I always keep optimism for all my sports teams, I don't see the reason to get all worked up over things I can not control... As a fan we can bicker and yell about all the moves we don't understand the implications or reasoning on moves some teams make...

On Jason Kidd having the chance to be a NBA Head Coach last season, is irrelevant. His basketball IQ is off the charts and always has been... As a point guard he was always the extension of the coaches he played for on the court... Last season the Nets coaching job was not on the table, this year it was... If that team was looking for Head Coach last season he would of been their coach... One more season didn't elevate his abilities to earn that chance... That is doing the math...

On T.C., K-Mart & Kidd's defense in 2nd Half's were the reason of most of our wins if not all of them... But Melo was the only one that was counted on... If J.R. sparked any offense it was a boost... Since J.R. wasn't a steady performer it was nice to see how far Shumpert has come offensively...

The main question here is; how do we retool our team and will management make any splash moves before and during the draft???

Kiyaman

Legend
Listen if Felton doesn't like what this team is doing then all he has to do is say "Trade Me" but he loves New York and doesn't want to go anywhere...

Are u kidding, after Felton's 2011-12 season in Portland (coach quiting during season), Felton couldnt ask the water-boy for a 2nd helping lol.

During our 18-5 spurt early in the 2012-13 season, did u know Raymond Felton were averaging 19 pts, 8 ast, 2 turn-overs, on taking 17 shot attempts per game on 47% shooting? Did u also know it was our HC Woodson who was the first to mention that Felton had a sore pinky-finger during a post-game comment, after the Houston Rockets Lin-Sanity came to New York to whipped us like run away slaves for the 2nd time this season (131-103 in Houston, and 109-96 in NY), which gave us a 18-6 record.
Did u also know we put Felton on the injured-list for a fractured pinky finger for 3 and half weeks after that?
And when Felton return from the 3 week injury, Felton's shot attempts decrease to just 6 shot attempts per game for over 20 something games, plus his assist decrease to 5 to 6 ast per too. What happen?
During Felton injury we dropped down to a probable .500 team when Melo & JR started running the point, when Felton return they kept running the point keeping us a probable .500 team, untill we went on a Westcoast road trip where GS Steph Curry, Denver Ty Lawson, Portland rookie PG-D.Lillard, and Clippers CP3, embarrassed Melo & JR playing the point with 4 consecutive losses keeping us under 90 points, losing by 15 or more points. The No-Defense GS Warriors 92-63 win over us was our wake-up call.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Are u kidding, after Felton's 2011-12 season in Portland (coach quiting during season), Felton couldnt ask the water-boy for a 2nd helping lol.

I will quote myself yet again:

Listen if Felton doesn't like what this team is doing then all he has to do is say "Trade Me" but he loves New York and doesn't want to go anywhere...

thank you for proving my point... Felton had the Knicks where he wanted them... If he chose he didn't want to be here b/c of Woodson's playbook then for him asking for a trade would of stirred up bad publicity for the organization, yes... But could the Knicks get something for him, definitely b/c of what Felton did at the start and all of last season with us compared to what he did previously with Portland, and before that Denver...

Did you know that your arrogance is childish???

I know you didn't appreciate that question, so don't disrespect me with Did you know this, or that questions... You are not the only Knicks' fan here and yes I know all of it, my point what just...

Kiyaman

Legend
The main question here is; how do we retool our team and will management make any splash moves before and during the draft???

Great question .. How do we retool?

All 3 of our star players came to New York because we offered more money than their worth .. $58M in 2013-14.
Retooling without paying 1 or 2 decent role-players more than their worth in the offseason to get another 50 win season may become difficult. I'm waiting to see what our roster look like when the 2013-14 season start.

The rumor of super-stars and star role-players value $$$ going down-down after being teammates with Melo has become a heavy quiet rumor amongst NBA players in the league .. we dont have to mention any of Melo's ex-teammates...

Last edited:

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Great question .. How do we retool?

All 3 of our star players came to New York because we offered more money than their worth .. $58M in 2013-14.
Retooling without paying 1 or 2 decent role-players more than their worth in the offseason to get another 50 win season may become difficult. I'm waiting to see what our roster look like when the 2013-14 season start.

The rumor of super-stars and star role-players value $$$ going down-down after being teammates with Melo has become a heavy quiet rumor amongst NBA players in the league .. we dont have to mention any of Melo's ex-teammates...

there are many creative ways that this could be done...

this team showed age ran out of juice in the playoffs, getting more athletic in the front court should be the way to go... hustle points/second chance are a big thing for us to continue to succeed moving forward... another shooter that is not a streaky shooter like J.R. would be a huge plus... but all in all finding another key wing defender to compliment Shumpert to lock down the perimeter defense would be a huge boost moving forward...

but right now the best move we have would be trading T.C. - we could fill many needs...

we also can trade Novak and Camby in a package for a player that another team is "ready to move on from"

rumor - The Knicks have offered future second-round picks and future considerations (cash) to Portland in an attempt to regain the rights to small forward Kostas Papanikolaou

should we trade Brewer's exception for a player or use it on a free agent???

who will the Knicks target with the #24 pick ( I am hearing it is between Tony Mitchell & C.J. Leslie )

with the MLE can we acquire a big man - Andray Blatche???

couple of D-League players like Jeremy Tyler and Jerome Jordan had spectacular seasons and could be gotten for next to nothing...

come next season will we be able to buy out Stat's final year???

again it is varied on how things could be done this off-season, J.R., Cope, & Prigi - and what we do during the draft...