Thread: Sources: Bucks want Smith and Copeland

Default Sources: Bucks want Smith and Copeland

The Milwaukee Bucks have "strong" interest in the New York Knicks' J.R. Smith and also want to make an offer to his teammate Chris Copeland, two league sources confirmed to ESPN.com.

The Bucks will be entering free agency with their starting backcourt, Brandon Jennings and Monta Ellis, testing free agency. But they also have leverage because they are under the cap, unlike the Knicks, and they can outbid for the services of Smith and Copeland.

The most Smith can make in New York is $5.58 million with early Bird rights. He declined his player option of $2.9 million earlier this month, making him an unrestricted free agent. For Copeland, who is now a restricted free agent because the Knicks extended an qualifying offer to him on Tuesday, the highest amount he could receive is $3.18 million -- the Knicks' mini mid-level exception.

According to one league source, several other suitors will make pitches for Smith and Copeland. Smith has received early interest from the Detroit Pistons and Phoenix Suns, and Copeland's list includes the Dallas Mavericks, Indiana Pacers, Los Angeles Lakers, New Orleans Pelicans, Oklahoma City Thunder, Toronto Raptors, Utah Jazz and Washington Wizards.

Both Smith and Copeland have expressed a burning desire to stay in New York. After the season, Smith said, "I want to retire a Knick. I don't want to go anywhere else." And Copeland said, "I can't think of anywhere else I'd rather be."
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

They would be great for the Bucks since they need scoring at the SG/SF position.

I believe JR Smith leaving New York would be better for Shumpert's development and confidence. The more responsibility for Shump, the better he gets.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    They would be great for the Bucks since they need scoring at the SG/SF position.

I believe JR Smith leaving New York would be better for Shumpert's development and confidence. The more responsibility for Shump, the better he gets.
    any deal of course has either Stat or T.C. being traded... since only T.C. has value, maybe we can trade him for a draft pick open the door to a sign and trade...

since Knicks will open up some room sign Copeland then re-sign J.R. and trade both to the Bucks maybe even throw in Novak...

Bucks sign and trade Monta Ellis and throw in Drew Gooden...

Could be eventful for both sides...

Fu*k the bullsh*t I hope JR stays the east is looking like its going to get tough as hell next year and the knicks could use his scoring off the bench. The last thing the knicks need is too lose another roleplayer for nothing let alone two to conference jokes like the bucks that will only make the knicks weaker. Yeah he sh*t the bed in the playoffs but Tyson sh*t the bed even more and we can't move him either.... so fu*k it.

gimme brandon jennings and a pick for smith cope and novak

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

Nobody is going to make a significant offer to Smith remember.........

Superstar

Get Redick and a 1st and they can have both

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Rob Low
    Get Redick and a 1st and they can have both
    This would be great.

Redick would thrive playing with Melo. He's basically JR Smith mixed with Steve Novak...minus the athleticism.

No1 is talkin bout N8 Robinson wana leave da bulls.

Originally Posted by bigapple
    No1 is talkin bout N8 Robinson wana leave da bulls.
    only reason is he is going to command at least $6 per maybe a little more and how are we going to contend with just a MLE of $3.18 M... really a mood point to be talking about someone we can't afford...

Originally Posted by gmf1369
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    If we can do a sign and trade with Smith, then I will do it. But I want to keep Cope because he is a big man that can stretch the floor which is rare these days.

Sign and trade Smith, Cope, and Chandler for Jennings? lol