Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Tim Hardaway Jr.

The kid just got drafted and some of you are already saying he sucks.Thank about what you are saying? the kid has yet to step on the court in a knicks jersey so give him a chance. I personally think he is still a year or two away from showing what he can really do on the court.When he does get to the level that he can play I see him becoming a good player that will help the knicks for a very long time.

ok so what are the positives...

well he played solid ball in a well respected system!

Jalen Rose raved about his work ethic

I just don't get this pick frankly!

I'm not bashing him, but I just don't get how this helps, now they say take best available rather than what you need so it appears we were at least doing that

Well, lets just wait and see.

i'm confused with this pick. I guess, i'll sit and wait wtf is up.

Right before Stern announced the pick, I quickly reviewed who the "best available top 10 options' for the Knicks were, and I mumbled to myself: "if I were GM what direction would I go in?" I waivered for the briefest of moments before I muttered the name "Hardaway."

The answer was obvious to me... Sure, we probably took the safest route and passed on some higher ceiling players... But the Knicks are built to win NOW.

Let's face it, the pool we were picking from were these players: Bullock, Crabbe, Franklin, Ledo and Hardaway. I think we passed on Franklin because we preferred a player who does at least 1 thing really well, as opposed to a guy who does a lot of things pretty well. We needed a shooter. Somebody to bang down outside shots. Compliment Melo and run in Woody's offense. We employed the 3 guard sets... So a combo guard who can shoot the 3 was what the draft presented when our number was up... So, based on our needs and the BPA...Hardaway was our choice.

I think we crossed Ledo off the list because he is still, in essence, a high schooler. He might be the better player in 4 years... But Hardaway will help more next May. Then, it was six in one hand and a half dozen in the other We probably felt Crabbe didn't face as much "pressure" in his situation as did Bullock and Hardawy playing at UNC and Michigan.

Since Franklin, Ledo and Crabbe went later on... I think a lot of teams felt what Grunwald felt... And so we were justified... The question then boils down to Hardaway or Bullock, who went next. Both are shooters from big time programs who will contribute their rookie years. Did we chose wisely?

I THINK THE REASONING WAS SOUND THOUGH. We grabbed the tougher player. Bullock is more finesse. Hardaway has the pedigree, and thus possesses a better understanding of what he needs to succeed at this level... He is a better defender and is more athletic. Better at creating his own shot. I watched a lot of both players last few seasons.

Tim Jr entered college with the weight of expectations, was a starter all 3 years in school... Performed well in the tourney, hit big shots...

I think this pick is akin to the Charlie Ward pick. Another first rounder from the mid 20s. He will be more than just a rotation piece. He may not be great but he will have his moments. He was the best option.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by WVKnickfan
    The kid just got drafted and some of you are already saying he sucks.Thank about what you are saying? the kid has yet to step on the court in a knicks jersey so give him a chance. I personally think he is still a year or two away from showing what he can really do on the court.When he does get to the level that he can play I see him becoming a good player that will help the knicks for a very long time.
    He sucks because he wasn't anything special in college. He barely improved as a player from his Freshman year...he doesn't address any of our weaknesses.

It was a weak pick.

Why must we be optimistic about everything?

Originally Posted by WVKnickfan
    your right i will fall back and give him a chance .... I was hoping for more but at #24 honestly we didn't do that bad.....

Also that built to win now stuff is BS when we can't even get out the second round...
    Last edited by Wargames; Jun 28, 2013 at 00:21.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by mafra
    We grabbed the tougher player. Bullock is more finesse. Hardaway has the pedigree, and thus possesses a better understanding of what he needs to succeed at this level... He is a better defender and is more athletic. Better at creating his own shot. I watched a lot of both players last few seasons.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Bullock is about 3 levels above Hardway in shooting and toughness. Bullock averages almost 7 rebounds a game at UNC. Hardway was averaging 3-4 rebounds per game. Even though Bullock is a corner 3pt shooter, he moves around the floor and especially around the rim.

Hardaway only takes 14% of his shots at the rim and he doesn't take it hard to the basket, he averages 3 FTA per game, lowest amongst all SG prospects in the draft.

Bullock easily attacks the glass more than Hardaway does, has super intangibles.

Bullock defended the opposing team's best scorers...superior defender to Tim Hardaway who's far way from being a better defender than anyone in this draft. If you think Hardaway is a better defender then please show me 4 games where Hardaway had his defensive presence felt on the perimeter because perimeter defense is one of his major weaknesses.

Hardaway's shot selection is trash and he's very inconsistent.

Hardaway isn't even good at creating his own shot, you're making this stuff up.
    Tim can create a shot, but most of the time it isn't a good one.
    Contested and whacky floaters are most of his shot creations.
    He's athletic but not explosive or quick enough with his moves to beat the average NBA defender.
    His moves are average in ISO/PR...thus making him predictable than unstoppable.

I give Hardaway respect for being athletic and scoring off the dribble.

But this isn't anything close to Charlie Ward, A level defensive PG who can distribute and nail the 3. Charlie Ward went on to be an important role player/starter for the Knicks 22-28 minute per game player.

We have Shumpert.

What's the need for Hardaway? especially considering Hardaway is average as it gets. He possesses no real strength.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    What's the need for Hardaway? especially considering Hardaway is average as it gets. He possesses no real strength.
    they might of reached but the potential is there, he has the pedigree and they believe his athleticism will make-up for his decent shooting ability...

now he won't splash next season might be a two or three seasons before he shows up as a consistent piece in our rotation...

this pick was an investment into the future, can't complain but hope it works out...

I heard ALOT of moaning and groaning when Shumpert was picked. And look how well he turned out. I think Tim will help in a big way. All he has to do is not disappear like Kidd, Steve and JR did. He will find himself open very often. Make teams pay and this pick is justified.

I think its a good pick @ 24....i didn't expect even him honestly...this kid has huge upside imo with his work ethic. One of the guys on Facebook says he played with him in HS and he's got game and def upside. His dad is tough on him, he has very good work ethic...i see him 2 years away from being a really good player from what i've seen

I'm not familiar with the college game so can't really get mad or excited about this selection. I do wonder if this pick shows us the direction Coach wants us to take. I.E. Having Hardaway as cover at SG while moving Shump to SF to accommodate Melo at PF ? Or if this means J.R. is not reckoned into our plans? Apparently this Kid is a knockdown shooter and scoring was an area we struggled with in the Indy series I guess

I Had time to think about it and I think I was so hard on this pick cause his father was one of my least favorite players. Dude could maybe develop into an Arron afflalo type player and really help out off the bench.

I do not see this being a JR replacement move though but who knows the bucks might go full stupid and offer JR 10 million a year or something.....

Veteran

Originally Posted by metrocard
    He sucks because he wasn't anything special in college. He barely improved as a player from his Freshman year...he doesn't address any of our weaknesses.

It was a weak pick.

Why must we be optimistic about everything?
    Tim Jr was a main cog in a VERY good Michigan team...best in years...best available player on the board....can replace JR if he goes F/A...great size...younger, athletic...better shooter with NBA pedigree...we got a STEAL at 24 looking at some of the projects that went before Tim JR. Should be able to help us right away!!!

Veteran

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    Check the highlights just got a woodie no homo

Veteran

Originally Posted by Wargames
    Bruh I am mad cause we didn't take Jamaal franklin who is better than Tim in about every way possible....
    Very interesting .....

24th Pick .... by Spike Lee
    Jeff Eisenberg's Analysis: Spike Lee tells ESPN he thinks Tim Hardaway Jr. will "help right away." I'm not so sure. Hardaway improved as a shooter and all-around player in helping lead Michigan to the national title game as a junior, but his shot selection and 3-point shooting remain works in progress. Other wings may have been better values here, especially North Carolina's Reggie Bullock and San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin.

41st Pick .... by Minny
    Jeff Eisenberg's Analysis: Few college players filled up a stat sheet better last season than San Diego State's Jamaal Franklin, who finished in the top three in the Mountain West in scoring, rebounding and steals and the top seven in assists, blocked shots and field-goal percentage. The athletic 6-foot-5 wing took advantage of freedom to play through mistakes awarded to him, blossoming from an under-the-radar recruit into his team's unquestioned star. The lone knock on Franklin is his woeful 28 percent 3-point shooting, but remember this: Ex-Aztec Kawhi Leonard improved his shot once he got to the NBA, and Franklin has a reputation for being just as hard a worker.