Tim Hardaway Jr.

metrocard

Legend
He can be very good if he improves his ball handling and shot selection but the dude can get to the rim as easily as anyone.
It prob means no more JR either.

sadly that isn't true.

14% of shots came at the rim
3.2 FTA per 40 min
last amongst top 100 SG prospects.

There isn't really anything that Tim does that is special...he has some nice crossovers and good athleticism but he has a lot of holes in his game.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
There's nothing wrong with this pick. Hardaway can shoot the ball. He's a good defender and he can get to the basket. I also consider him a high IQ player and he's a good guy.

We need to drop JR like a bad habit. Now that we drafted Hardaway the writing is on the wall. Lates Swish... Go stink it up when it matters for whomever is dumb enough to give you your next contract.

Now we have another Jr, one I can really be a fan of.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I told dad around pic 7 or something that I would love to see my knicks draft tim Hardaway Jr just to see how his father reacts.He wasn't there and even thow im sure he is proud of his son it is killing him that his son is now a KNICK LOL.

Wargames

Starter
There's nothing wrong with this pick. Hardaway can shoot the ball. He's a good defender and he can get to the basket. I also consider him a high IQ player and he's a good guy.

We need to drop JR like a bad habit. Now that we drafted Hardaway the writing is on the wall. Lates Swish... Go stink it up when it matters for whomever is dumb enough to give you your next contract.

Man he is a D leaguer at his core.... he might be smart but the knicks need players and everyone here talking trash about JR are just emotionally motivated. Knicks are going from a 54 win team back to a 47 win team.... I am a stat's guy. Iman was 10.6 RSB40 and 3.3 S40 in college and was rightfully underrated. Bum Hardaway Jr has never scored over 20 P40 or posted an RSB40 over 7.0. His S40 has been below 1.0. He is a significantly inferior player to Iman and the only draft pick the knicks will have until 2015. Bruh's Grunwald f*cked up and used the pick on a good character player.... He's not JR he will likely take the role Ronnie Brewer had (half decent defense and the 3 shot) on the team.

F*cking only good thing about this draft is the Nyets set themselves up to suck more than us in the upcoming years....

why? so when 2015 comes we get on the 2017 plan
At least that would imply the knicks had a plan at this point and some room to do it. Knicks are becoming the Neohawks and likely will be second round bound at least until 2015.

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
Man he is a D leaguer at his core.... he might be smart but the knicks need players and everyone here talking trash about JR are just emotionally motivated. Knicks are going from a 54 win team back to a 47 win team.... I am a stat's guy. Iman was 10.6 RSB40 and 3.3 S40 in college and was rightfully underrated. Bum Hardaway Jr has never scored over 20 P40 or posted an RSB40 over 7.0. His S40 has been below 1.0. He is a significantly inferior player to Iman and the only draft pick the knicks will have until 2015. Bruh's Grunwald f*cked up and used the pick on a good character player.... F*cking only good thing about this draft is the Nyets set themselves up to suck more than us in the upcoming years.....

Yea but Iman had the ball in his hands alot more in college. Hardaway played next to a ball dominating PG in Burke. He could not have the same type of impact as Iman.

Wargames

Starter
Yea but Iman had the ball in his hands alot more in college. Hardaway played next to a ball dominating PG in Burke. He could not have the same type of impact as Iman.

Man that is going to be the justification alongside him doing well in the combine and you might be right.... but I'm telling ya'll he isn't a JR replacement and their are tons of signs he isn't going to contribute at a high level at all.... He's just a last name right now

metrocard

Legend

Disagree.
No evidence that proves Tim is a good defender. He gets beat one on one, especially against slashers and he doesn't close out against 3pt shooters. Dude is 100% crap defensive.

His shooting isn't even that great.

42% FG 36% 3pt 75% FT
41% FG 28% 3pt 71% FT
43% FG 37% 3pt 69% FT

He has no mid range game or no slashing game and his 3pt game isn't that strong enough for him to be a threat...He can develop things as he grows but Hardaway wasn't a need.

Shumpert can fill the void that is JR Smith by playing 10-12 extra minutes and play 34 minutes per game. We didn't need a SG that desperately...

if we did, Ledo would of been a superior option. By far.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
The kid just got drafted and some of you are already saying he sucks.Thank about what you are saying? the kid has yet to step on the court in a knicks jersey so give him a chance. I personally think he is still a year or two away from showing what he can really do on the court.When he does get to the level that he can play I see him becoming a good player that will help the knicks for a very long time.

New New York

Quiet Storm
ok so what are the positives...

well he played solid ball in a well respected system!

Jalen Rose raved about his work ethic

I just don't get this pick frankly!

I'm not bashing him, but I just don't get how this helps, now they say take best available rather than what you need so it appears we were at least doing that

Well, lets just wait and see.

mafra

Legend
Right before Stern announced the pick, I quickly reviewed who the "best available top 10 options' for the Knicks were, and I mumbled to myself: "if I were GM what direction would I go in?" I waivered for the briefest of moments before I muttered the name "Hardaway."

The answer was obvious to me... Sure, we probably took the safest route and passed on some higher ceiling players... But the Knicks are built to win NOW.

Let's face it, the pool we were picking from were these players: Bullock, Crabbe, Franklin, Ledo and Hardaway. I think we passed on Franklin because we preferred a player who does at least 1 thing really well, as opposed to a guy who does a lot of things pretty well. We needed a shooter. Somebody to bang down outside shots. Compliment Melo and run in Woody's offense. We employed the 3 guard sets... So a combo guard who can shoot the 3 was what the draft presented when our number was up... So, based on our needs and the BPA...Hardaway was our choice.

I think we crossed Ledo off the list because he is still, in essence, a high schooler. He might be the better player in 4 years... But Hardaway will help more next May. Then, it was six in one hand and a half dozen in the other We probably felt Crabbe didn't face as much "pressure" in his situation as did Bullock and Hardawy playing at UNC and Michigan.

Since Franklin, Ledo and Crabbe went later on... I think a lot of teams felt what Grunwald felt... And so we were justified... The question then boils down to Hardaway or Bullock, who went next. Both are shooters from big time programs who will contribute their rookie years. Did we chose wisely?

I THINK THE REASONING WAS SOUND THOUGH. We grabbed the tougher player. Bullock is more finesse. Hardaway has the pedigree, and thus possesses a better understanding of what he needs to succeed at this level... He is a better defender and is more athletic. Better at creating his own shot. I watched a lot of both players last few seasons.

Tim Jr entered college with the weight of expectations, was a starter all 3 years in school... Performed well in the tourney, hit big shots...

I think this pick is akin to the Charlie Ward pick. Another first rounder from the mid 20s. He will be more than just a rotation piece. He may not be great but he will have his moments. He was the best option.

metrocard

Legend
The kid just got drafted and some of you are already saying he sucks.Thank about what you are saying? the kid has yet to step on the court in a knicks jersey so give him a chance. I personally think he is still a year or two away from showing what he can really do on the court.When he does get to the level that he can play I see him becoming a good player that will help the knicks for a very long time.

He sucks because he wasn't anything special in college. He barely improved as a player from his Freshman year...he doesn't address any of our weaknesses.

It was a weak pick.

Why must we be optimistic about everything?

Wargames

Starter

your right i will fall back and give him a chance .... I was hoping for more but at #24 honestly we didn't do that bad.....

Also that built to win now stuff is BS when we can't even get out the second round...

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
We grabbed the tougher player. Bullock is more finesse. Hardaway has the pedigree, and thus possesses a better understanding of what he needs to succeed at this level... He is a better defender and is more athletic. Better at creating his own shot. I watched a lot of both players last few seasons.

You couldn't be more wrong.

Bullock is about 3 levels above Hardway in shooting and toughness. Bullock averages almost 7 rebounds a game at UNC. Hardway was averaging 3-4 rebounds per game. Even though Bullock is a corner 3pt shooter, he moves around the floor and especially around the rim.

Hardaway only takes 14% of his shots at the rim and he doesn't take it hard to the basket, he averages 3 FTA per game, lowest amongst all SG prospects in the draft.

Bullock easily attacks the glass more than Hardaway does, has super intangibles.

Bullock defended the opposing team's best scorers...superior defender to Tim Hardaway who's far way from being a better defender than anyone in this draft. If you think Hardaway is a better defender then please show me 4 games where Hardaway had his defensive presence felt on the perimeter because perimeter defense is one of his major weaknesses.

Hardaway's shot selection is trash and he's very inconsistent.

Hardaway isn't even good at creating his own shot, you're making this stuff up.
Tim can create a shot, but most of the time it isn't a good one.
Contested and whacky floaters are most of his shot creations.
He's athletic but not explosive or quick enough with his moves to beat the average NBA defender.
His moves are average in ISO/PR...thus making him predictable than unstoppable.

I give Hardaway respect for being athletic and scoring off the dribble.

But this isn't anything close to Charlie Ward, A level defensive PG who can distribute and nail the 3. Charlie Ward went on to be an important role player/starter for the Knicks 22-28 minute per game player.

We have Shumpert.

What's the need for Hardaway? especially considering Hardaway is average as it gets. He possesses no real strength.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
What's the need for Hardaway? especially considering Hardaway is average as it gets. He possesses no real strength.

they might of reached but the potential is there, he has the pedigree and they believe his athleticism will make-up for his decent shooting ability...

now he won't splash next season might be a two or three seasons before he shows up as a consistent piece in our rotation...

this pick was an investment into the future, can't complain but hope it works out...

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
I heard ALOT of moaning and groaning when Shumpert was picked. And look how well he turned out. I think Tim will help in a big way. All he has to do is not disappear like Kidd, Steve and JR did. He will find himself open very often. Make teams pay and this pick is justified.

petescud

Starter
I think its a good pick @ 24....i didn't expect even him honestly...this kid has huge upside imo with his work ethic. One of the guys on Facebook says he played with him in HS and he's got game and def upside. His dad is tough on him, he has very good work ethic...i see him 2 years away from being a really good player from what i've seen