Gotta snatch up Marion, not at all impossible

New New York

Quiet Storm
Look The Knicks do not have the ability to get back a player in a sign and trade but can still execute one in which we send out a player. We have 954k in trade exceptions, 3 million of Dolan's cash and Camby's 2 year deal that is only guaranteed 1 million next year

So Charlotte takes on Marion's deal from Dallas and Mavs comp them w/ a pick in return

They then send Marion to us for Copeland (signed with 3 million dollar first year salary) Camby, 3 million cash and trade exception!

Dallas gets that contract off books, end of story!

Charlotte gets Copeland for free when you factor in cash, exception makes deal work. They then just waive Camby and eat his 4 million dollars this year and again get a pick from Dallas.

We get a 3rd potential All NBA Defensive player in our starting 5!

totally against this small ball thing Woody plays, but it is what it is; and if we are gonna run with it then Marion is perfect. Two way player we desperately need

Give Will Bynum mini MLE, sign Lamar Odom to vet minimum and then bring back KMart

Felton/Bynum/Pablo
Shump/Priggs/Hardawaw (let himDevelop)
Marion/Odom/Melo/Novak
Melo /Stat/Kmart/Marion/Odom
Tyson/Kmart/Jordan

With this lineup intact and Healthy no team in this league worries me! Improved team without compromising future of team!

I say two 2nd rounders in a sign and trade w Suns for JR is fair as long as those picks are in the next 2 years.

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
This is actually a good idea.

We could seriously use a guy like Marion or even better a guy like Kirilenko. They would enhance our defense to be more consistent and as good as Indiana's.

New New York

Quiet Storm
I am completely indifferent when it comes to Copeland, he had some great moments for us but he is far from untradable and Marion would be a great return for him!!!! Key is that Marion only has one more year so its a low risk/high reward move considering Cope wants long term money and I think we have seen all that he is gonna ever bring to the table and its not worth eating into cap space 2 years from now.

I'll say it over and over, I do not believe in small ball, it is gimmicky, but if you have scorers and versatile defenders you can run it effectively. Marion fits that mold perfectly

Marion's athleticism allows him to guard 3's and 4's which takes Melo off the block defensively thus less banging on our most valuable player (although he is better defending the post than perimeter). Marion can knock down 3's which means a PF has to step out on either he or Melo which just opens the floor up and makes helping on Felton drives or guarding Melo very difficult

It also allows for us to play less zones because we do not have those insane mismatches too

Kmart would be key in the equation as well

Defensive lineups of Marion,Shump,Kmart,Tyson and a scorer like Melo or JR (assuming he's back) gives us punch on both ends

The deal is doable....it benefits all 3 clubs, lets hope our Front Office has such a move on its radar.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Nice idea and I don't oppose it. I think we'd be better off but who's gonna score for us

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Seba

Benchwarmer
I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but the CBA prohibits this scenario.

First of all, trade exceptions can not be agregated to outgoing salaries to make a deal. In other words, am exception worth less than the vet's minimum is useless.

Second, Chris Copeland is a restricted free agent. The only way to include him in a deal would be to sign and trade him, which would also require him not to accept any offers from other teams, but to accept our own only. As you have correctly noted, we are in no position to do sign and trade deals, for we are over the tax apron.

I would have loved to get someone like Marion too, but our only chances for improving this roster is hiring someone for the 3MM mini mid-level exception and veteran minimum deals.
We should really focus in resigning Martin, Smith, Copeland.

Rob Low

Rotation player
This would be the perfect move if we're gonna continue to play Melo at the 4. Marion would help a lot with the rebounding issues that having Melo at the 4 presents. A frontcourt with him Melo and Tyson would have no problems securing boards. Then move Shump back to the 2 and have a lineup of Felton-Shump-Marion-Melo-Tyson

New New York

Quiet Storm
I'm sorry to dissapoint you, but the CBA prohibits this scenario.

First of all, trade exceptions can not be agregated to outgoing salaries to make a deal. In other words, am exception worth less than the vet's minimum is useless.

Second, Chris Copeland is a restricted free agent. The only way to include him in a deal would be to sign and trade him, which would also require him not to accept any offers from other teams, but to accept our own only. As you have correctly noted, we are in no position to do sign and trade deals, for we are over the tax apron.

I would have loved to get someone like Marion too, but our only chances for improving this roster is hiring someone for the 3MM mini mid-level exception and veteran minimum deals.
We should really focus in resigning Martin, Smith, Copeland.

Hold up how is it violating the CBA? I'm not saying the exception is put towards Cope's salary, just towards the deal to make the numbers work which is exactly what trade exceptions allow teams to do

The cash that we send in the deal is completely within the guidelines of CBA and Charlotte can use it however they see fit, by making it the same dollar amount as Cope's salary it in essence gives Cope for free; its like I sell you a car for 40k and at the same time a cut you a check for 40k, you can use the monies however you please...this does not violate CBA in anyway

Next, no reason for Copeland not to take this deal, with a pretty strong FA class and teams being more frugal than ever a player like Copeland is not going to get a lucrative long term deal, period! He's at best a 3 million dollar a year player. He takes this deal and goes to a team that will play him significant minutes in hopes that after this deal expires he can land a more lucrative one

But a front loaded 4 year 11.5 million dollar deal for Copeland is plenty fair for him and any perspective team!

So like we both said we can not get a return on a sign and trade but we can send a player out and get a player already under contract back!

This is very possible!

Problem is Dallas thinks they can convince Marion to excercise ETO and then sign for vet minimum...we gotta get in his agent's ear about us willing to pay him his full salary while giving him just as good -if not better- chance to win than Dallas would even w/ Dwight.

New New York

Quiet Storm
This would be the perfect move if we're gonna continue to play Melo at the 4. Marion would help a lot with the rebounding issues that having Melo at the 4 presents. A frontcourt with him Melo and Tyson would have no problems securing boards. Then move Shump back to the 2 and have a lineup of Felton-Shump-Marion-Melo-Tyson

That's what I'm talking bout brotha!

If not Marion, if we are gonna play Melo at 4 we need a SF who can guard PF's on D and be effective as a SF on Offense and yes you hit it on the head, we gotta get Shump back at SG