Chris Copeland Open To Rejecting Lucrative Offers For Knicks Return

metrocard

Legend
[h=3]Chris Copeland Open To Rejecting Lucrative Offers For Knicks Return[/h]Jun 29, 2013 2:52 PM EDT
Copeland_Chris_nyk_121120.jpg
Just last year, Chris Copeland rejected substantial proposals from clubs to fulfill his desire to play in the NBA. After a breakout season with the New York Knicks, Copeland knows he?ll once again have to pass up larger offers for his hope: a return to the Knicks.
European powerhouse FC Barcelona has elevated its pursuit of Copeland and wants to start negotiations on a lucrative contract for the 6-foot-8 forward, league sources told RealGM. Copeland will listen to all potential suitors, but still, he?s made clear his willingness to return to the Knicks even if they aren?t able to match his most pricey offer.
?Returning is very much an option,? agent John Spencer told RealGM. ?He turned down several options to play, turned down enormous money to get an NBA opportunity last year. He wants to play and wants to contribute. The Knicks are a good organization, with Mike Woodson and the list goes on.
?There?s a chance another team will potentially pick him up, obviously, but the Knicks gave Chris the opportunity to play and he?s loyal because of that.?
Copeland, 29, had scoring outbursts throughout the Knicks? season, dropping seven 20-point performances including pouring in 55 points over the final two games of the regular season. When given increased minutes in the Eastern Conference semifinals, Copeland averaged 6.2 points on 55 percent three-point shooting.
Several NBA teams are expected to chase Copeland in free agency, but he told reporters at season?s end he only envisions himself as a Knick. To remain with the Knicks, Copeland, a restricted free agent, would have to accept the mini mid-level exception as the most the franchise can offer.

Oldtimer

Rotation player
We have only the mini-MLE -- about $3.1M -- and veterans' minimums -- less than $2M -- for free agent signings. Copeland is not saying he will take less than $3M. We also need to re-sign Prigioni. We need another PG. I expect that we will sign Prigioni. I do not think we can keep both Prigioni and Copeland.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Hopefully Chris stays, and how he can still make good money would be signing a 1 year with a Player Option like J.R. has been doing then after this season declaring for free agency - bird rights!!! I know its a stretch to think that way but if he is a loyal guy eventually the Knicks will be able to giving him a good pay day... Just wondering on the J.R. front if he is planning to only take another 1 year + P.O. to get to the 3rd year bird rights to get max pay day or if he is looking for a four year deal this year???

If Cope stays then I am alright if J.R. leaves... Copeland to be our new 6th man???

Paul1355

All Star
We have only the mini-MLE -- about $3.1M -- and veterans' minimums -- less than $2M -- for free agent signings. Copeland is not saying he will take less than $3M. We also need to re-sign Prigioni. We need another PG. I expect that we will sign Prigioni. I do not think we can keep both Prigioni and Copeland.
We can keep them both. Prigioni is observing the qualifying offer of just under a Million which is what he made last year. He was good but at most he is a 1.5 mil- 2 mil player. He likes NY and would rather play here for just under a mil than somewhere else.

Cope might be harder to retain. If someone throws money at him, say the Pelicans, then I would understand if he bolts. He barely had a job last season and even when he played so well, Woodson still benched him because of his philosphy of not trusting rookies. If I was Cope, I would resent that Woodson could of played me most of the season and chose to stuck it out with other guys like Novak that never performed. I would resent that in the playoffs I was hitting pull up 3 pointers when no one could score and still didnt get the minutes i deserved. If someone gave me more money and said I could start or get for sure minutes then I would leave.

But if the Knicks give him 3 mil a year for a couple years and Woodson tells him that he is def in rotation then that is different. Less money for more fame and a chance to be part of something special in NY.