Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want JR Smith back on the Knicks?

Superstar

Originally Posted by metrocard
    JR Smith isn't a serious basketball player. He's 27, but still has the same mind he did when he was 18. He surrounds himself with too many distractions and is probably one of the most active instagram/twitter NBA users in the league. He uses a lot of his free time doing mindless activities and never reforming his game.

JR Smith has Vince Carter type talent but Tim Thomas work ethic.
    His performance in the playoffs was a ticket on his way out of New York.

His scoring is great and horrible all at once. For him to be on, he needs two or three bad games. Defensively, he fell off from where he started.

The reports of JR buying weed, cocaine and drinking liquor at the clubs is something this franchise should not have to deal with. JR Smith really doesn't deserve a penny from the Knicks. He needs to grow up into a man and leave all that partying crap alone.
    Amen

First he threw that elbow that caused the suspension that we seemed to never recover from as a team (imagine he didn't do that and we swept the celtics and had more time to rest up for the pacers). Then instead of being on his best behavior and trying to redeem himself he goes out and plays like crap and goes to the club the night before we play the Pacers and does god knows what. I don't wanna see him near this team come next year.

Excellent Question...1. J.R. made a huge mistake elbowing a flopper like Terry and that made what should have been an easy series with Boston a nail biter. Against Indiana JR had a serious knee injury which required drainage but I am not suggestiong that even with Melo healthy and JR healthy the Knicks would have beaten Indiana, TYSON was exposed as second rate against HIBBERT. There back court was significantly better than ours and with Danny Granger back...much better than ours. So my first choice is a great trade for JR and if not then a short contract at 5.3 million for maybe 2 years. Missing next year will be KIDD, CAMBY, NOVAK which was11.5 million in contracts for nothing we needed going forward. Bargnani may flourish under Woodson...as a back up for Tyson. Kenyon does not bring enough offense but he saved our season last year to be sure. His game is like Birdman's. So if we can trade for a quality deal for JR that's fine. JR does not understand team basketball.

No b/c you can not depend on him.

Bottom line, not many NBA players are willing to chop their salary in half in order to win, especially when it would be easy to leave...

J.R. could disappear now, get his huge contract & not have to worry about getting booed in a Knicks uni again...

Instead, he took the flack and is still taking it, hoping he gets to suit up in the orange and blue again to prove to himself, his teammates, and the fans that he can be exactly what the Knicks need him to be...
    To me, that is a man the Knicks want and need in uniform at MSG...

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

This forum amazes me man really does. Do you want to sign a player for 5.8 that you can possibly move if you end up having an actual problem or do you want to let that player walk for nothing? This is the NBA any player who makes less than 6 million and is under 30 with upside is always valuable.

★The Floor General★ Knicks4Life_1985's Avatar

The same teams now that are calling JR are going to be open to trading for him this year or next year. But let a mother ****er on this board tell you nobody is offering JR anything...........

I must be retarded

Veteran

Originally Posted by Knicks4Life_1985
    The same teams now that are calling JR are going to be open to trading for him this year or next year. But let a mother ****er on this board tell you nobody is offering JR anything...........

I must be retarded

So far JR has not been offered any deal. Based on what we read its the Pistons and the Bucks who have shown some interest........ODD how for a guy who was the 6th man of the year is not being chased by more and some of the top tier teams............JR is not a winner and he proved that in the playoffs........why in the world would you want him on the team..Lets see because our coach lets him shoot 18 times and whether he hits or misses he still plays 36 minutes........Do you think other teams dont see that..........The ONLY teams offering him a deal will allow him to start......other teams who would use JR off the bench would be afraid because as soon as JR is held accountable he becomes a total pain in the ass to the team , coaches and the organization......

You are not retarded that you dont see that but you do have your NY blinders on,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOOK AT THE PLAYOFFS WHEN IT REALLY MATTERS!!!!!!!

Knicks need to sign JR.... he isn't perfect but they need his scoring regardless of the erractic nature of it

Just like Laundry Fields, JR was a no show during times of adversity. And thank goodness we had those times to really find out what some of these guys are made of.

The problem with JR is the stubborness of this coach who was hell bent on proving he could control JR, turn him into a reliable star, and that JR's best role was as 6th man.

Now while I must say JR did fulfill his 6th man duties, he still lacks what I'm personally looking for and that's a consistent defender and smart player who makes sound decisions. Without these traits no one can convince me JR is in demand.

Picture a top coach like Phil or Pop coaching JR... he wouldn't even had the chance to chuck so much, hence his contribution is over-inflatted ala what happens in D'Antoni's system.

Nope. No thank you. If you can't guard your man, you can't play. Defense wins games.

Kyle Korver please.

Originally Posted by Ewing
    Kyle Korver please.
    He's a Brooklyn Net.

Originally Posted by Red
    Just like Laundry Fields, JR was a no show during times of adversity. And thank goodness we had those times to really find out what some of these guys are made of.

The problem with JR is the stubborness of this coach who was hell bent on proving he could control JR, turn him into a reliable star, and that JR's best role was as 6th man.

Now while I must say JR did fulfill his 6th man duties, he still lacks what I'm personally looking for and that's a consistent defender and smart player who makes sound decisions. Without these traits no one can convince me JR is in demand.

Picture a top coach like Phil or Pop coaching JR... he wouldn't even had the chance to chuck so much, hence his contribution is over-inflatted ala what happens in D'Antoni's system.

Nope. No thank you. If you can't guard your man, you can't play. Defense wins games.
    Defense isnt JR's game, however he did improve on it and had games when he was a pest defensively. I would shake my head when he would foul someone at 3 point line, guy makes basket and its a 4 point play...but he isn't Steve Novak out there and is average on D.

His rebounding was impressive. There were games when he had 10 rebounds along with double digit points. For a bench player those numbers are fantastic.

His problem is that Woodson puts too much trust in him when he is having off nights and that JR doesn't drive to the hoop enough.

If JR just changed his offensive approach to being more aggressive rather than finesse then he would be an all star.

If you want defense put in Shump, if you want versatile scoring put in Smith.

I dont mind either way but I do think it'd be best if we let him go. That boy Shumpert is ready to shine

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    I dont mind either way but I do think it'd be best if we let him go. That boy Shumpert is ready to shine
    Shumpert's per 36 min average is just at 12 ppg. He shot only 41% fg, however is 3 point % was 37 so that has improved. I hope the reason his fg% was so low was because of trying to get back from knee injury, but he had trouble finishing and driving to the hoop which he shouldnt struggle with because of his size and strength as a guard.

He is not ready to be the 2nd option. He has yet to prove that he can consistently score at a high level. I have more trust in JR as our second option because he is just offensively talented. Shump is a better overall player because of his defensive prowess.

Bargnani should be our second option right now.

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Originally Posted by KingStarbury3
    Deadass, shumpert is gonna be a force next season. I'm expecting a breakout, meaning: all defensive first team votes and most improved player. Regardless of whether JR is back or not, shumpert will have to be our #2 option if we wanna have a shot at MIA next year.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2