Do you want JR Smith back on the Knicks?

metrocard

Legend
993065_10151765804463410_1657175280_n.jpg

nixon7

Benchwarmer
That is kind of a trick question. I would not mind him on the team for another one year deal. Perhaps even in perpetuity for several years worth of one year deals.

However, I would never want to see him signed for a longer term contract, because I would not trust him to maintain any discipline then (just as I would never let him be a starter).

Given all the above, it seems unlikely that he would be with the team next year. Some knucklehead will be willing to sign him for several years and promise him a starting role, so therefore good luck, have a great career, somewhere else.

New New York

Quiet Storm
For the right price, sure.

We hated the streak shooting at 2.5 million imagine if he gets a lucrative long term deal

JR is the type of player Isiah overpayed so we gotta keep that in mind if Grunny lets him go!

Rob Low

Rotation player
If we can get someone that can score off the bench that's not a mental midget then no I don't want him anywhere near the team. At the same time I don't wanna lose him for nothing

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
No, I wouldn't sign him for a dollar. One of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league and overall just never seems to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
but his talent won us a few games, so unless we can pull the Tyreke trade, yes I want him back.

petescud

Starter
Kinda crossed on JR. He did fall apart at the worst time (playoffs)...if he was himself, i really think we would had advanced

Oldtimer

Rotation player
We can sign JR for four years up to approximately $5M a year despite being over the cap with or without him. I assume we could sign him to fewer than four years with the same $5M a year maximum. If we do not sign him, we cannot use his money on anyone else. We have the minimums and the mini-midlevel exception whether we sign JR or not. $5M a year is not too out of line. I think that Toronto gave Landry Fields a $20M four year deal. I doubt we will be able to keep JR and limit him to two years. I expect he is going to get pretty good offers from other teams but perhaps not enough that it would make a significant financial difference to him. We could be the beneficiaries of a home team discount. For all his flaws, I think we have to try to sign him. Otherwise we get nothing.

Paul1355

All Star
We can sign JR for four years up to approximately $5M a year despite being over the cap with or without him. I assume we could sign him to fewer than four years with the same $5M a year maximum. If we do not sign him, we cannot use his money on anyone else. We have the minimums and the mini-midlevel exception whether we sign JR or not. $5M a year is not too out of line. I think that Toronto gave Landry Fields a $20M four year deal. I doubt we will be able to keep JR and limit him to two years. I expect he is going to get pretty good offers from other teams but perhaps not enough that it would make a significant financial difference to him. We could be the beneficiaries of a home team discount. For all his flaws, I think we have to try to sign him. Otherwise we get nothing.
good post...if J.R's contract doesn't hurt our chances of free agency this year then why not try to retain him for 5 mil a year? He is worth that amount. The years are the only thing. You would hope anywhere from 1-3 years max since he is in his late 20's and in his prime. However, Woodson needs to put more trust in other players as he does with J.R.

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer

For this reason alone, i would try to sign him for the max that we can pay him. He is a freaking knuckle head but at least he is better than the money we threw away on jerome james and eddy curry. Is it enough to keep him? who knows, but if you don't try it's not like you can use the money to sign anyone else as we are over the cap.

metrocard

Legend
JR Smith isn't a serious basketball player. He's 27, but still has the same mind he did when he was 18. He surrounds himself with too many distractions and is probably one of the most active instagram/twitter NBA users in the league. He uses a lot of his free time doing mindless activities and never reforming his game.

JR Smith has Vince Carter type talent but Tim Thomas work ethic.
His performance in the playoffs was a ticket on his way out of New York.

His scoring is great and horrible all at once. For him to be on, he needs two or three bad games. Defensively, he fell off from where he started.

The reports of JR buying weed, cocaine and drinking liquor at the clubs is something this franchise should not have to deal with. JR Smith really doesn't deserve a penny from the Knicks. He needs to grow up into a man and leave all that partying crap alone.

Rob Low

Rotation player
JR Smith isn't a serious basketball player. He's 27, but still has the same mind he did when he was 18. He surrounds himself with too many distractions and is probably one of the most active instagram/twitter NBA users in the league. He uses a lot of his free time doing mindless activities and never reforming his game.

JR Smith has Vince Carter type talent but Tim Thomas work ethic.
His performance in the playoffs was a ticket on his way out of New York.

His scoring is great and horrible all at once. For him to be on, he needs two or three bad games. Defensively, he fell off from where he started.

The reports of JR buying weed, cocaine and drinking liquor at the clubs is something this franchise should not have to deal with. JR Smith really doesn't deserve a penny from the Knicks. He needs to grow up into a man and leave all that partying crap alone.

Amen

First he threw that elbow that caused the suspension that we seemed to never recover from as a team (imagine he didn't do that and we swept the celtics and had more time to rest up for the pacers). Then instead of being on his best behavior and trying to redeem himself he goes out and plays like crap and goes to the club the night before we play the Pacers and does god knows what. I don't wanna see him near this team come next year.

DrB

Benchwarmer
Excellent Question...1. J.R. made a huge mistake elbowing a flopper like Terry and that made what should have been an easy series with Boston a nail biter. Against Indiana JR had a serious knee injury which required drainage but I am not suggestiong that even with Melo healthy and JR healthy the Knicks would have beaten Indiana, TYSON was exposed as second rate against HIBBERT. There back court was significantly better than ours and with Danny Granger back...much better than ours. So my first choice is a great trade for JR and if not then a short contract at 5.3 million for maybe 2 years. Missing next year will be KIDD, CAMBY, NOVAK which was11.5 million in contracts for nothing we needed going forward. Bargnani may flourish under Woodson...as a back up for Tyson. Kenyon does not bring enough offense but he saved our season last year to be sure. His game is like Birdman's. So if we can trade for a quality deal for JR that's fine. JR does not understand team basketball.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Bottom line, not many NBA players are willing to chop their salary in half in order to win, especially when it would be easy to leave...

J.R. could disappear now, get his huge contract & not have to worry about getting booed in a Knicks uni again...

Instead, he took the flack and is still taking it, hoping he gets to suit up in the orange and blue again to prove to himself, his teammates, and the fans that he can be exactly what the Knicks need him to be...
To me, that is a man the Knicks want and need in uniform at MSG...

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
This forum amazes me man really does. Do you want to sign a player for 5.8 that you can possibly move if you end up having an actual problem or do you want to let that player walk for nothing? This is the NBA any player who makes less than 6 million and is under 30 with upside is always valuable.