Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you want JR Smith back on the Knicks?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Default Do you want JR Smith back on the Knicks?

That is kind of a trick question. I would not mind him on the team for another one year deal. Perhaps even in perpetuity for several years worth of one year deals.

However, I would never want to see him signed for a longer term contract, because I would not trust him to maintain any discipline then (just as I would never let him be a starter).

Given all the above, it seems unlikely that he would be with the team next year. Some knucklehead will be willing to sign him for several years and promise him a starting role, so therefore good luck, have a great career, somewhere else.

For the right price, sure.

We hated the streak shooting at 2.5 million imagine if he gets a lucrative long term deal

JR is the type of player Isiah overpayed so we gotta keep that in mind if Grunny lets him go!

Superstar

If we can get someone that can score off the bench that's not a mental midget then no I don't want him anywhere near the team. At the same time I don't wanna lose him for nothing

No, I wouldn't sign him for a dollar. One of the lowest basketball IQ's in the league and overall just never seems to get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too inconsistent,too much trouble, seems to sink under pressure.

but his talent won us a few games, so unless we can pull the Tyreke trade, yes I want him back.

Kinda crossed on JR. He did fall apart at the worst time (playoffs)...if he was himself, i really think we would had advanced

Superstar

If we can get Tony Allen,Carlos Delfino, or Tyreke Evans then I don't want him back

Superstar

We can sign JR for four years up to approximately $5M a year despite being over the cap with or without him. I assume we could sign him to fewer than four years with the same $5M a year maximum. If we do not sign him, we cannot use his money on anyone else. We have the minimums and the mini-midlevel exception whether we sign JR or not. $5M a year is not too out of line. I think that Toronto gave Landry Fields a $20M four year deal. I doubt we will be able to keep JR and limit him to two years. I expect he is going to get pretty good offers from other teams but perhaps not enough that it would make a significant financial difference to him. We could be the beneficiaries of a home team discount. For all his flaws, I think we have to try to sign him. Otherwise we get nothing.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    We can sign JR for four years up to approximately $5M a year despite being over the cap with or without him. I assume we could sign him to fewer than four years with the same $5M a year maximum. If we do not sign him, we cannot use his money on anyone else. We have the minimums and the mini-midlevel exception whether we sign JR or not. $5M a year is not too out of line. I think that Toronto gave Landry Fields a $20M four year deal. I doubt we will be able to keep JR and limit him to two years. I expect he is going to get pretty good offers from other teams but perhaps not enough that it would make a significant financial difference to him. We could be the beneficiaries of a home team discount. For all his flaws, I think we have to try to sign him. Otherwise we get nothing.
    good post...if J.R's contract doesn't hurt our chances of free agency this year then why not try to retain him for 5 mil a year? He is worth that amount. The years are the only thing. You would hope anywhere from 1-3 years max since he is in his late 20's and in his prime. However, Woodson needs to put more trust in other players as he does with J.R.

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    For this reason alone, i would try to sign him for the max that we can pay him. He is a freaking knuckle head but at least he is better than the money we threw away on jerome james and eddy curry. Is it enough to keep him? who knows, but if you don't try it's not like you can use the money to sign anyone else as we are over the cap.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    by the way, the picture is hilarious !

Metro I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

JR Smith isn't a serious basketball player. He's 27, but still has the same mind he did when he was 18. He surrounds himself with too many distractions and is probably one of the most active instagram/twitter NBA users in the league. He uses a lot of his free time doing mindless activities and never reforming his game.

JR Smith has Vince Carter type talent but Tim Thomas work ethic.
    His performance in the playoffs was a ticket on his way out of New York.

His scoring is great and horrible all at once. For him to be on, he needs two or three bad games. Defensively, he fell off from where he started.

The reports of JR buying weed, cocaine and drinking liquor at the clubs is something this franchise should not have to deal with. JR Smith really doesn't deserve a penny from the Knicks. He needs to grow up into a man and leave all that partying crap alone.