Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Knicks want Monta Ellis

Veteran

Originally Posted by RunningJumper
    Not saying Ellis is who we need, but he's not the same player as J.R. He's a much more willing passer and played PG well when Curry was out a lot in the 2011-2012 season.
    Agreed!!! better than JR.. can spell the PG spot for 8-10 min a game if needed.. JR is a step above artest mentally.. knucklehead status.. JR needs contant discipline to stay in it mentally. not sure he can be trusted...if the rumors are true... id welcome a JR for ellis sign and trade in a NY minute....

Ummm i might not know about about Ellis personally, but i had this dude in my fantasy league team and his stats were off the chain. 30 to 40 points per game multiple times, multiple steals, the guy might not shoot the best but to me he is way way better than JR...

Superstar

I'd give it 3 months before you guys are exploring trade options for him if we signed him. How about targeting good character players for once? Is that so much to ask for?

Originally Posted by Rob Low
    I'd give it 3 months before you guys are exploring trade options for him if we signed him. How about targeting good character players for once? Is that so much to ask for?
    Bucks want JR so this is realistic IF we can do sign and trade

well we did play a lot of two point guard rotations, so if keeping with that theme it could work...

Felton racks up the fouls quickly, if we don't land Brooks or Prigioni goes back to Spain it might be the only available option...

S&T J.R. & S&T Ellis + trade exception of $1 M, could offer him $6.5 M max for first season roughly a 3 yr $21 M deal, he would be leaving around $9 M to play for a contender over 3 years on the table...

The Bucks are reportedly interested in J.R.'s services and if the Knicks feel they would be better off with Ellis, this could be the end game...

Lurker

Why is everyone considered JR 2.0? No one hardly comes close to the lack of discipline that JR has. He doesn't look to pass, his shot selection is horrible, can't dribble and he just doesn't learn from his stupid mental mistakes.

Both Ellis & Hardaway Jr. look to get to the basket first (and do it well) and can move the ball around. The offense doesn't stall with these guys going Iso. They both can make a lot of things happen. I also don't see the "ballhog" label for Ellis, see his 6 assist a game to JR's 2, especially considering he was basically their only scoring threat. I think you'll see his numbers increase tremendously once he goes someone with a Legit #1 scorer (ie Melo)

Superstar

Originally Posted by steve09ru
    Why is everyone considered JR 2.0? No one hardly comes close to the lack of discipline that JR has. He doesn't look to pass, his shot selection is horrible, can't dribble and he just doesn't learn from his stupid mental mistakes.

Both Ellis & Hardaway Jr. look to get to the basket first (and do it well) and can move the ball around. The offense doesn't stall with these guys going Iso. They both can make a lot of things happen. I also don't see the "ballhog" label for Ellis, see his 6 assist a game to JR's 2, especially considering he was basically their only scoring threat. I think you'll see his numbers increase tremendously once he goes someone with a Legit #1 scorer (ie Melo)
    Right. He shoots alot but he doesn't settle and and he passes. He wouldn't start l. I'd take him over jr.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Well, there was a rumor going around that the only reason the Knicks got Andrea Bargnani was to ship him out in another 3 team deal on July 10th.

Monte would immediately be moved again or some speculate that Daivd Lee is still a possibily -- The bottom line is that playoff time in the Eastern Conference needs another player that is long, and plays defense. We all so the importance of Kwahi Leonard's rebounding and defending....we need a player like this in the playoffs......

Matt Barnes and Andre Iguodala are better fits for our roster because the can rebound and defend......

Not Monte Ellis ---

Lurker

Originally Posted by richtree
    Well, there was a rumor going around that the only reason the Knicks got Andrea Bargnani was to ship him out in another 3 team deal on July 10th.

Monte would immediately be moved again or some speculate that Daivd Lee is still a possibily -- The bottom line is that playoff time in the Eastern Conference needs another player that is long, and plays defense. We all so the importance of Kwahi Leonard's rebounding and defending....we need a player like this in the playoffs......

Matt Barnes and Andre Iguodala are better fits for our roster because the can rebound and defend......

Not Monte Ellis ---
    I agree that Monta Ellis won't solve the lack of rebounding and interior D but he will solve the lack of the 2nd scoring option. Sure JR could score but he only did that (and he struggled with that at times) and did not make players around him better. I'd much rather have Ellis than JR because of Ellis' ability to drive and pass. He is also not a bad defender (2.5+ steals per game) which can improve the transition offense as well.

Woodson likes to run a two point guard set... Right now we have one point guard on the roster, with a Q.O. yet to be signed by Prigioni... But this isn't a marriage that our team should try to make work... We already have two volume shooters, if we do indeed re-sign J.R. Smith along with Carmelo Anthony there won't be enough possessions to spread around for Monta to be a factor...

Unless they feel J.R. is gone and are willing to move Felton for Ellis than it could be a possibility... But I don't see Felton being a bargaining chip in any trades this off-season...

This rumor, is to keep the door open -- just in case...

Originally Posted by richtree

Not Monte Ellis ---
    dont even know if this is possible.

I believe Alan Hahn said there is a 90 day period a team has to wait after acquiring a player.

But lets assume I am wrong. Then this is a ballsy deal.

David Lee would be a perfect fit. He is the rebounding machine we need and someone that can spread the floor and hit long mid range shots. He won't space the floor as well as Bargnani but Lee is so much better, an all star actually.

Originally Posted by steve09ru
    I agree that Monta Ellis won't solve the lack of rebounding and interior D but he will solve the lack of the 2nd scoring option. Sure JR could score but he only did that (and he struggled with that at times) and did not make players around him better. I'd much rather have Ellis than JR because of Ellis' ability to drive and pass. He is also not a bad defender (2.5+ steals per game) which can improve the transition offense as well.
    Ellis shot 41%....that is not a good 2nd scoring option

Originally Posted by Paul1355

I believe Alan Hahn said there is a 90 day period a team has to wait after acquiring a player.
    Only for free agents, after a trade a player is dealable for upto 24 hours.

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    Only for free agents, after a trade a player is dealable for upto 24 hours.
    ok then...i hope u are right...if u are then I tip my hat to Glen Grunwald for pulling off something here. I guess GS is waiting to miss out on Howard to then pull trigger on NY deal for maybe Bargnani and Chandler?

Lee and Bogut for Bargnani and Chandler? I dont even know what the deal would be.

Originally Posted by Paul1355
    ok then...i hope u are right...if u are then I tip my hat to Glen Grunwald for pulling off something here. I guess GS is waiting to miss out on Howard to then pull trigger on NY deal for maybe Bargnani and Chandler?

Lee and Bogut for Bargnani and Chandler? I dont even know what the deal would be.