Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's next for Knicks? Free agency

Default What's next for Knicks? Free agency

NBA teams began negotiating with free agents at 12:01 a.m. Here is what's on the New York Knicks' to-do list:

Re-sign J.R. Smith. The Sixth Man Award winner agreed, along with his family, to first meet with Knicks coach Mike Woodson and the team's front office on Sunday night to discuss Smith's future in New York.

Two factors that would keep Smith from returning are if he wants to start and if he wants to make more than $5.58 million, the max the Knicks can offer him with early Bird rights. The Detroit Pistons, Milwaukee Bucks and Phoenix Suns are prepared to bid for Smith's services.

Keep Pablo Prigioni and Chris Copeland. Both players are now restricted free agents after receiving qualifying offers from the Knicks.

In an ideal world, the Knicks would split up their mini mid-level exception of $3.18 million to sign both players, but Copeland could demand more than that amount alone. He could have up to eight teams making offers. At least two, the Bucks and New Orleans Pelicans, are prepared to make attractive bids for Copeland, according to a league source. When free agency officially tipped off, the Utah Jazz and Los Angeles Lakers were the first two teams to inquire about Copeland, a league source told ESPNNewYork.com.

Retain Kenyon Martin. A source close to K-Mart told ESPNNewYork.com that he's "confident" the power forward wants to return. The biggest hurdle is the Knicks likely only being able to offer the veteran's minimum.

Add another point guard and big man. Point guards could include Aaron Brooks, A.J. Price, Sebastian Telfair, Jamaal Tinsley and Earl Watson. A league source said the Knicks are interested in Brooks, who was recently waived by the Rockets and is represented by Leon Rose, whose clients include Andrea Bargnani, Carmelo Anthony and Smith.

Bigs could include Andray Blatche, Elton Brand, Samuel Dalembert, Lamar Odom, Shavlik Randolph, Anthony Tolliver, Chris Wilcox and Brandan Wright.

A league source said Spurs big man DeJuan Blair will not be a candidate for the Knicks because of their limited financial flexibility. Chris Andersen is another intriguing prospect, but he wants to return to Miami.

Though they don't have much room to spend, "the Knicks never do what you think they will do," another league source said. As the Andrea Bargnani trade proved, that's certainly true.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I've been watching every tweet, stream, website for anything Knick related and it's a ghost town. There is no direction right now...

I agree with most of that basically. I would love it if we could get Delfino somehow.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    What I hope:

We make defensive a priority this off season and get a more dynamic PG to pair up with Melo.

What I expect:
    We'll get good players, but we won't address our shot blocking needs and we'll keep Felton at PG.
    This.

We're doing nothing.

Tony Allen would be a great defense piece but we're ignoring a 2nd CONSISTENT scorer to accompany Melo and no starter caliber PG. *Felton is a quality NBA guard and would be a fantastic back-up*

It seems like we're just going to hope this squad does something and gear up in 2015, which is bullsh!t to have to go through...AGAIN.

Tyreke Evans is out. Signed a retardedly big contract with the Pelicans.

Superstar

I'm all in on the Allen bandwagon then. Having him and Shump out there on the wing would be an absolute nightmare for opposing teams

Resign JR, give Copeland 3 mil mini mid level, sign Pablo and Martin to vet minimum.....get a PG that is quick and can slash like Aaron Brooks or Sebastian Telfar as a 3rd PG option.

Get a center to clog the paint like Samuel Dalembert.

If you can't get JR or Cope then try a sign and trade.

after the knicks get JR (hopefully) then the target should be Aaron Brooks and then a d and 3 SF

For the most part, I agree with this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

We are SOOO strapped for cash, we are going to have to make some big reaches because not alot of value is going to come from Vet min guys..

So why not take a gamble?

and yes I'm being serious...

Superstar

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    We are SOOO strapped for cash, we are going to have to make some big reaches because not alot of value is going to come from Vet min guys..

this is a joke right

Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    this is a joke right
    i mean why not, this is looking more and more like a take a risk kinda year...

Do Sign and trades for both JR and Copeland for trade exceptions totalling about 9 million, give it and rights to CJ Leslie to Dallas for Marion; if Dallas strikes out w Dwight they go into rebuild mode and cap space and prospect is fair compensation

sign Will Bynum for 2 year MLE deal

Andrea cash and right to swap picks in 2015 for Lee; Golden State is not too found of Lee's contract -neither am I but I'd take it for the sake of building a power house. But Lee does not have the value many think he does

Re sign Kenyon and Pablo

Felton/Bynum/Priggs
    Shump/Priggs/Hardaway (let him develop)
    Melo/Marion
    Lee/Stat/Melo/Marion
    Tyson/K Mart/Lee

JR's scoring is made up by comitee and depth is just sick!

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS

lol as much as I would love it...there is a reason he is not playing int he NBA anymore....he just wasnt committed due to his ego

Tyrus Thomas will be a free agent July 10th, being amnestied.