Jr Smith resigns with the New York Knicks........oh boy

Ghostowl

Benchwarmer
I didn't mean combined. But individually in 2013 Melo is a better player than both

What? No..

Parker is an amazing point guard that can put up 20+ points and 8+ assists easily on any given night. Speedy, good shooter, good defense, good basketball IQ..pretty much everything you can ask your PG to be.

Duncan, on the other hand, holds even more court presence than Parker. Even while old, he can still out-rebound the young guys and easily get 10 boards and 15 points a night.

Melo, is a scoring champion, who excels at, scoring. Other than that, he doesn't assist, he's a mediocore rebounder for his size, and subpar defender.

I'd rather have players that take efficient shots, plays good defense, and excels at passing / rebounding rather than a player that gets 30 points a night on 25 shots and doesn't excel in anything else.

I still think Melo is the most important Knick on the team and easily the best player here. But to compare him to Duncan / Parker and saying he's better is a bit of a stretch.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
Everyone has watched the Nets seemingly make improvements to their roster. On paper they look like they're ready to take on the Heat. Bulls will have D Rose back and Indy now has some playoff experience. Where does this leave the Knicks? I don't think last years squad can compete on the highest level, let alone win a championship. Melo needs a Pippen and like it or not, right now that is JR Smith.

I'm not sure who the Knicks are trying to be as a team. Do they want to be a strong defensive team with a presence in the post or a run and gun jack up threes team? They need to figure out their identity before making any major roster changes. I still think trading Chandler should be on the table, but if you do this is an entirely different team with Shump as the only defender.

Paul1355

All Star
Everyone has watched the Nets seemingly make improvements to their roster. On paper they look like they're ready to take on the Heat. Bulls will have D Rose back and Indy now has some playoff experience. Where does this leave the Knicks? I don't think last years squad can compete on the highest level, let alone win a championship. Melo needs a Pippen and like it or not, right now that is JR Smith.

I'm not sure who the Knicks are trying to be as a team. Do they want to be a strong defensive team with a presence in the post or a run and gun jack up threes team? They need to figure out their identity before making any major roster changes. I still think trading Chandler should be on the table, but if you do this is an entirely different team with Shump as the only defender.
The Knicks are trying to be a team that teaches defensive principles led by Woodson with a free flowing offense of guys that have potential to light it up any night.

I cant really say if knicks are a half court or fastbreak team but they are def a jump shooting team.

Paul1355

All Star
Mani Ginobili was getting paid almost twice as much as JR to be a sixth man.

Amare is getting paid 20 mila year to be a 7th man.

J.R is getting paid 5 mil a year to be a 6th man....so it is really not that bad when you compare the other deals out there per dollar value.

J.R just needs to attack the rim more.

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
I guess Kiyaman and the rest of you guys were right. There were no better offers out there for JR.

Wonder if he'll opt for the early bird rights deal or sign a 1 year deal to get a bigger payday when the Knicks have his bird rights.

That's b/c all the other teams aren't as dumb as the knicks and they let him walk just like the Knicks should have done.We already have one ball hog in Melo we didn't need another!! This is why the knicks never win anything!! :barf:

Last edited:

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
This would not be a case of addition by subtraction. Who gives away pieces for nothing? This move does not effect our cap and in 2015 FA we will have loads to spend and only have 3 or 4 cap friendly deals with room to add 2 max players. What more do you people want. We have no money this year therefor no way to drastically improve our team.

You guys are acting like JR ****ed your Bitch or something

skisloper

Starter
This would not be a case of addition by subtraction. Who gives away pieces for nothing? This move does not effect our cap and in 2015 FA we will have loads to spend and only have 3 or 4 cap friendly deals with room to add 2 max players. What more do you people want. We have no money this year therefor no way to drastically improve our team.

You guys are acting like JR ****ed your Bitch or something
In year 3 he gets 6 million and we don't need that on our books. Now someone tell me that jr is a trade asset. He was not offered one firm deal from any other team. Does anyone know why or care to guess ?

Red

TYPE-A

This is the D'Antoni question; one that should've been answered years ago. Run & Gun "jack up threes" is a short-term regular season mentality that does not work in the playoffs and championships.

On the other hand, defense does win, and JR Smith's weakness as well as the Knick's weakness is defense. In fact by Woodson blatantly reducing his defensive accountability principles in favor of undisciplined chucking the D'Antoni effect has taken place.

Even you no longer know their identity, and Paul thinks we can do both; run & gun + defend. That is nearly impossible save for the Heat. Can we rely on JR to defend or Woodson to shift everyone out of position to get "more shooters on the floor"?

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
That's b/c all the other teams aren't as dumb as the knicks and they let him walk just like the Knicks should have done.We already have one ball hog in Melo we didn't need another!! This is why the knicks never win anything!! :barf:

You don't know anything. For all you know the offers he was receiving were comparable to what the Knicks were offering so he decided to stay. Yeah the Knicks are dumb for bringing back a guy who won the 6th man of the year award. Who does that?

Knicks4Life_1985

★The Floor General★
How do people here know what this man was offered / what he turned down. Do you post or tell people your job offers that your turn down? I am not saying the man got better offers because I would be lying as I am not an NBA agent.:smokin:

skisloper

Starter
How do people here know what this man was offered / what he turned down. Do you post or tell people your job offers that your turn down? I am not saying the man got better offers because I would be lying as I am not an NBA agent.:smokin:

Jr dad says it. Jr was told no team would offer 8 a year. Every jr fan thought jr would be offered more money then the knicks can in this weak fa class Jr being 6 man everyone thought for sure he would be offered more money.

He has a bad attitude, low bball iq and is beyond bad on defense.
Yes he scores and only scores.

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
Jr dad says it. Jr was told no team would offer 8 a year. Every jr fan thought jr would be offered more money then the knicks can in this weak fa class Jr being 6 man everyone thought for sure he would be offered more money.

He has a bad attitude, low bball iq and is beyond bad on defense.
Yes he scores and only scores.

No team offering 8 a year is not the same as not getting any offers. His defense was actually pretty solid last year so I don't know what games you were watching.

skisloper

Starter
No team offering 8 a year is not the same as not getting any offers. His defense was actually pretty solid last year so I don't know what games you were watching.

Defense solid? Pacers game he lost his man for an easy lay up twice in 4th quarter as the 24 second clock ran out.
He did not receive an offer for more then the knicks did. Korver got more!! That says what people think of jr

p0nder

Starter
I understand that this was a good mover operations wise. JR is a fan favorite, easily marketable and makes highlight reels, plus we got him for a song and multiple years (unless he is traded? good trade bait with this contract).

But I'm a fan of making the right Basketball moves. and JR hurt this team in the playoffs and I'm not sure we can count on him. If we removed him from the equation we could have had copeland back, prigs back, tim hardaway jr off the bench, etc. He will eat into those minutes and shot attempts that could go to a higher percentage scorer (Amar'e, Melo, Felton).

I am not convinced that he's going to help us more then harm us with his distractions off the court, his 3 ball chucking and his Iso plays. JR is streaky as hell. If he ever got his head on straight and possessed the killer edge and competitive streak that players like MJ and Magic had he'd be one of the best in the league. But can he get there? or will we get more inconsistency from a drama queen?

Personally, I like JR as a player and a person. If JR get's it going then we're unstoppable. I think that Woodson has found a way to get through to him but only time will tell on this.

donchris

Next season, keep waiting
This is the D'Antoni question; one that should've been answered years ago. Run & Gun "jack up threes" is a short-term regular season mentality that does not work in the playoffs and championships.

On the other hand, defense does win, and JR Smith's weakness as well as the Knick's weakness is defense. In fact by Woodson blatantly reducing his defensive accountability principles in favor of undisciplined chucking the D'Antoni effect has taken place.

Even you no longer know their identity, and Paul thinks we can do both; run & gun + defend. That is nearly impossible save for the Heat. Can we rely on JR to defend or Woodson to shift everyone out of position to get "more shooters on the floor"?

I agree that a good balance of offense and defense wins championships. But you need a good mix in your roster and a good bench with clutch shooters and defenders. The resigning of Smith ensures that we don't get any worse off than we were last season. It was a good move out of necessity, but it's not an improvement.

On the other hand, the team chemistry should be improved. If they think that Amare will come back strong and Shumpert will be more of a contributor offensively then leave the roster in tact and make only minor tweaks. But if you don't buy into that make a significant trade ASAP. The way the league is now, I'd take a 6'9 scorer and play him at center over a 6'11 defender that contributes nothing offensively.

TruOrngnBlu

Benchwarmer
I understand that this was a good mover operations wise. JR is a fan favorite, easily marketable and makes highlight reels, plus we got him for a song and multiple years (unless he is traded? good trade bait with this contract).

But I'm a fan of making the right Basketball moves. and JR hurt this team in the playoffs and I'm not sure we can count on him. If we removed him from the equation we could have had copeland back, prigs back, tim hardaway jr off the bench, etc. He will eat into those minutes and shot attempts that could go to a higher percentage scorer (Amar'e, Melo, Felton).

I am not convinced that he's going to help us more then harm us with his distractions off the court, his 3 ball chucking and his Iso plays. JR is streaky as hell. If he ever got his head on straight and possessed the killer edge and competitive streak that players like MJ and Magic had he'd be one of the best in the league. But can he get there? or will we get more inconsistency from a drama queen?

Personally, I like JR as a player and a person. If JR get's it going then we're unstoppable. I think that Woodson has found a way to get through to him but only time will tell on this.

The Beauty in all this is JR was signed as a bird right's exception!! As in exception to the rule. That rule being we are over the cap limit and can only offer 1yr contracts at the minimum salary. Meaning had we let him walk that scenario walks with him. The money we used on him could only be used on him (NOT COPE or anyone else) cause we had his bird rights. What we should be doing is kissing the hairy bean bag of whoever made the rule that we could only sign him up to 5.7 mil, cause we surely would have bid against ourselves and overpaid. Then he'd be sitting on the books in 2015 owed 9mil and been that much harder to move.

If anyone saw the deal GSW pulled off today dumping all that salary on Utah, you witnessed exactly how there will be someone that would take an expiring JR smith contract at the price of 6mil provided he remains serviceable at minimum.

lilman_bklyn

Rotation player
People who sh!t on this deal I feel don't know anything about basketball and are at the most fair weather knick fans. Last season on 12 guards scored more points than JR. and only 2 grabbed more rebounds, yes he had a bad playoff series against the pacers, so the solution for you guys is to get rid of him because of 6 games? I guess every player who has a bad few games should cut? JR Smith signing for that price is a steal for the Knicks. I'm sure you guys would have given your left and right nut for any of the other guards averaging 18 and 5. (westbrook wade harden and kobe) He got better from last season to this season, why would you doubt it happening again? the people who says he doesn't play defense are stupid and that's all I will give them. Great signing by the Knicks. JR welcome back

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
People who sh!t on this deal I feel don't know anything about basketball and are at the most fair weather knick fans. Last season on 12 guards scored more points than JR. and only 2 grabbed more rebounds, yes he had a bad playoff series against the pacers, so the solution for you guys is to get rid of him because of 6 games? I guess every player who has a bad few games should cut? JR Smith signing for that price is a steal for the Knicks. I'm sure you guys would have given your left and right nut for any of the other guards averaging 18 and 5. (westbrook wade harden and kobe) He got better from last season to this season, why would you doubt it happening again? the people who says he doesn't play defense are stupid and that's all I will give them. Great signing by the Knicks. JR welcome back

Plus 1 on this. And for only 5 mil a season over 4 years that's a bargain

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2