Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Elton Brand vs KMart

Superstar

I have a question. We have signed Prigioni for about $2M a year. This is at least somewhat over the veteran's minimum -- assuming Prigioni, as a second year player, is eligible for a "veteran's" minimum. I am not sure just how much of our mini-midlevel exception we have used up. My question is whether the mini-mid level stands alone and cannot be added to a veteran's minimum or other minimum for a single player. In other words, do we have to use minimums and mini-mid levels separately or can they be combined.? If a team cannot increase an allowed "minimum" by dipping into whatever may be left of a mini or other mid level, then, given we paid a portion of the mini-mid level for Prigioni, we probably cannot pay either Brand or Kmart an amount that is appreciably different from a veteran's minimum. I am not sure we can get either one for the amount we likely have available.

Knicks need more fight on the glass and more scoring true K-mart was huge impact and playoffs exp

Brand better scorer ad rebounder

no choice from mine side this team need both but cant have.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Oldtimer
    I have a question. We have signed Prigioni for about $2M a year. This is at least somewhat over the veteran's minimum -- assuming Prigioni, as a second year player, is eligible for a "veteran's" minimum. I am not sure just how much of our mini-midlevel exception we have used up. My question is whether the mini-mid level stands alone and cannot be added to a veteran's minimum or other minimum for a single player. In other words, do we have to use minimums and mini-mid levels separately or can they be combined.? If a team cannot increase an allowed "minimum" by dipping into whatever may be left of a mini or other mid level, then, given we paid a portion of the mini-mid level for Prigioni, we probably cannot pay either Brand or Kmart an amount that is appreciably different from a veteran's minimum. I am not sure we can get either one for the amount we likely have available.
    The taxpayer MLE and vet min exception can not be combined, you can't use the two to sign a player say making 4M.

The Prigoni signing only used 1.5M of the MLE because part of his contract is performance based, performance based incentives are counted against the cap only if the NBA rules that they are likely to occur and we still have 1.7 of our MLE left to spend on other FA's.

You're right what we have left of the MLE is not much different than what KMart or EB can get as vet min players. The 2103-2014 min salary for vets with 10 years experience is 1.4M, 300K is probably a joke for vets like EB and KMart that are coming off of 10M plus yearly contracts.

Either will work far as i'm concerned...

Originally Posted by KnicksFan4Life
    I would lean towards taking Brand if I had to choose. He's not the defender K-Mart is but he does rebound and can score in the post which are two things the Knicks need. Also in either scenario I don't think K-Mart or Brand are the starters anyway. I think Bargs should start because he would space the floor better and he would not get in the way as much with Melo as K-Mart, Brand, and Stat would. So the question really becomes would you rather have a Brand and Stat or K-Mart and Stat as your bigs coming off the bench. Even in this case I would lean towards Brand slightly. But like DrB said I would love to have both.
    2nd Time today I'm on board with you my man. While K-mart brings that energy that you just cant quantify Elton brings the skills and smarts that we could have really used against indy. The energy thing is so important in the regular season but when in those 7 game battles teams find a way to offset that or flat out shut it down.
    Brand is a solid big defender with a nice jumper and rebounding ability, More of a glue guy with a higher IQ. Kind of a younger Kurt Thomas but more aggressive and slightly more athletic. Also agree either comes off the bench in favor of the Barngburner.

Something tells me though, as other teams complete their rosters after the Dwight fall-out some team will see brand as a good piece and offer him more money and or years than we can.

Originally Posted by Rob Low
    Gimme K Mart all day.
    +1

Love the energy KMart brings off the bench, plus he is a more versatile defender and can back up Tyson at the 5.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

Veteran

I'm starting to worry that we're going to strike out on both these guys. On top of that, Francisco Garcia just signed with the Rockets. That leaves Carlos Delfino and Dahntay Jones left as possible 3's that had our interest at some point. If we walk away getting none of these guys, a frontcourt rotation of Chandler, Melo, Stat, Bargnani, and Shump is fine, but completely lacks any flexible without a proven enforcer, a 2nd big who can rebound/play D, a wing who can consistently shoot the 3, or another forward who can play anything resembling solid perimeter defense.

Are we going to hope Hardaway J.R. and CJ Leslie are both league ready when the season starts?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by New New York
    Such a weak thread you posted twice in it...interesting

I've never seen someone who craves so much attention!

SMH.

I posted in it to notify you it was a weak thread.
    Stop crying.

Veteran

Originally Posted by htr10
    I'm starting to worry that we're going to strike out on both these guys. On top of that, Francisco Garcia just signed with the Rockets. That leaves Carlos Delfino and Dahntay Jones left as possible 3's that had our interest at some point. If we walk away getting none of these guys, a frontcourt rotation of Chandler, Melo, Stat, Bargnani, and Shump is fine, but completely lacks any flexible without a proven enforcer, a 2nd big who can rebound/play D, a wing who can consistently shoot the 3, or another forward who can play anything resembling solid perimeter defense.

Are we going to hope Hardaway J.R. and CJ Leslie are both league ready when the season starts?
    Brand looks unlikely, supposedly he has other offers. One positive is Cisco signed a vets min deal with the Rox which is way under the market for him, guess he's looking for a ring. I'm hoping KMart is grateful we recycled him from the scrap heap last season and signs with us for the vet's min.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    I posted in it to notify you it was a weak thread.
    Stop crying.
    3rd post and counting in my "weak thread". I read a weak thread everyday I simply don't post is how I let it be known...again you crave the attention so you can't do that

But I'm going to have to instruct you to kindly hop off my penis, your full cooperation with this instruction is completely necessary and greatly appreciated

thanks.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by New New York
    3rd post and counting in my "weak thread". I read a weak thread everyday I simply don't post is how I let it be known...again you crave the attention so you can't do that

But I'm going to have to instruct you to kindly hop off my penis, your full cooperation with this instruction is completely necessary and greatly appreciated

thanks.
    How can I hop off something so small?

It's against physics. Use your little brain.

As a sohpmore, Prigioni was eligible for something around 700k as the vet's minimum. That's why we had to give him a part of the MLE. The rest of it could be useful to attract an European player?

Originally Posted by Oldtimer

Veteran

Brand signed with the Hawks. People have been expecting him to sign with a contender but Brand is not about winning, he's about the paycheck. I am sure ATL offered him the most money.

Let's see if we can land KMart, he's a piece we need when we have 2 soft PF's like Stat and Bargnani.

Veteran

For some reason I see K-Mart signing in January for $2M with the Brooklyn Nets .. i have a feelin

The difference between Elton Brand and Kenyon Martin is that one cares about money while the other cares about winning.