Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Unofficial Official Knicks Summer League Thread

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

Kiya you can find the stats on nba.com and Knicks.com not sure which websites would have them; although I'm sure adthe would have em. Shumpert is said to play in all games, however, don't expect to seem him beast. Rather watch him coast. He's playing for the reps and keep game shape fresh and get games under his belt.

Considering we have 5 spots on the roster left I would assume we invite Leslie, Smith and Matthews with (hopefully) Leslie and Matthews making the team

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Best bet, since Lesle already has a contract in place he will make the team... Leslie's ability to play the 3 or 4 with his athleticism and fearlessness to drive in the lane makes him intriguing to our lineup... Just look at it like this we upgraded from Chris Copeland and got C.J. Leslie...

Tyler and Matthews can be depth at both the 4 and the 5 spots... Both Tyler and Matthews are athletic young big men that could focus on second chance points while collecting rebounds... Something we don't have is an effective rebounding big man... Yes we do okay on rebounds but having a player or two focused on just that, would give a boost to both the offensive and defensive sides of the court...

Leaving the need at the 3 to be filled (Raja Bell or MWP)...
    I'd prefer MWP over Bell, think Meta would fill a bigger need at the wing... From both perimeter and post defense that is complemented by his outside shooting would do us justice... Could he start at the 3 with Anthony at the 4, yes... His perimeter defense tandem up with Shumpert would be interested to see...

While signing Brooks at PG (Billups could still be an option)...
    Also at PG, rather see Brooks than Billups... Like everyone says Billups is a walking time bomb injury waiting to happen, maybe staying clear is the smart thing to do...

Originally Posted by gmf1369
    Best bet, since Lesle already has a contract in place he will make the team... Leslie's ability to play the 3 or 4 with his athleticism and fearlessness to drive in the lane makes him intriguing to our lineup... Just look at it like this we upgraded from Chris Copeland and got C.J. Leslie...

Tyler and Matthews can be depth at both the 4 and the 5 spots... Both Tyler and Matthews are athletic young big men that could focus on second chance points while collecting rebounds... Something we don't have is an effective rebounding big man... Yes we do okay on rebounds but having a player or two focused on just that, would give a boost to both the offensive and defensive sides of the court...

Leaving the need at the 3 to be filled (Raja Bell or MWP)...
    I'd prefer MWP over Bell, think Meta would fill a bigger need at the wing... From both perimeter and post defense that is complemented by his outside shooting would do us justice... Could he start at the 3 with Anthony at the 4, yes... His perimeter defense tandem up with Shumpert would be interested to see...

While signing Brooks at PG (Billups could still be an option)...
    Also at PG, rather see Brooks than Billups... Like everyone says Billups is a walking time bomb injury waiting to happen, maybe staying clear is the smart thing to do...

I do agree that we upgraded with Leslie over Copeland. While Copeland was the better perimeter shooter, Leslie is a more complete basketball player and he provides defense and athleticism at the 3-4 positions. Which we were lacking come playoff time.

Originally Posted by DaTPRiNCE
    Definitely brother, thanks. Things are getting better and my families all ok. This too shall pass.

Shump is playing because he wants to keep consistency with his offensive game. The more he plays at this point the more he gets better on the offensive ends. This will only help shumpert. He will be a huge option next season. Allstar close numbers; I'm calling it

Hey man wasn't aware you am the fam are going through things...this too shall pass is the best way to look at it! Also know God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle

Originally Posted by New New York
    Hey man wasn't aware you am the fam are going through things...this too shall pass is the best way to look at it! Also know God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle
    No no my families all great. I was referring to my family in Egypt. With all the protests that goes on over there best I could do is hope they all ok. And thankfully, to this point, everyone's doing good.

Default Big Men Jerome Jordan, A.J. Matthews & Jeremy Tyler

Jerome Jordan | C | 7’0” 253 | Experience: 1 year NBA, Last Played in Philippines
    Strengths: Size, Shot Blocking & Finishes Around the Basket
    Weakness: Face-Up Game, Strength & Underdeveloped Low-Post Game

Center Jerome Jordan is not a new name for Knick fans. He was a member of the regular season roster back in 2011-2012. However, it was quite obvious that he was far from an NBA-ready player. He played for the Knicks summer league team last year as well.

Jordan has had a turbulent career path to say the least. He has spent time everywhere from the NBA, to the D-League, to the Philippines. He now believes that he is ready to be a part of the Knicks rotation adding a rebounding and shot-blocking presence.

As it is presently constituted the Knicks roster only has one center on it, Tyson Chandler. In theory, Jordan should be a perfect for the role as he is still young and is a low maintenance big man who provides the big body and defensive presence that is needed. The question is, can he finally turn that frame and potential into a piece that the Knicks deem suitable for use?

A.J. Matthews | C | 7’1” 215 | Experience: Rookie (Farmingdale State)
    Strengths: Size, Transition Game & Rebounding
    Weakness: Raw, Low-Post Game, & Motor

D-III product A.J. Matthews is one of the biggest question marks heading into the Knicks time in Vegas, both literally and figuratively. While he is listed at 7-foot-1, many scouts who saw him work out before the draft stated their disbelief and say he is more likely around 6’10”.

The big man had to play his college ball at Farmingdale State, a Division III program, because the NCAA deemed him ineligible. Matthews was dominant against lower level competition, which is something that is necessary for a small school prospect such as him. During his final year at Farmingdale he averaged 22.7 points and 16.3 rebounds, allowing him to cash in 26 double-doubles on the year.

Realistically Matthews is more likely playing to earn a spot on the Erie BayHawks, the Knicks D-League affiliate, than the Knicks regular season roster. However, he is a player to keep an eye on for the future.

Jeremy Tyler | PF | 6’10” 260 | Experience: 2 Years
    Strengths: Rebounding, Athleticism & Versatile Offensive Game
    Weakness: Offensive efficency, Free Throw Shooting & Shot Blocking

Incase you don’t remember Jeremy Tyler he is the player who decided to forgo his senior year of high school to go overseas. He played two seasons of professional basketball before becoming being eligible for the 2011 draft, where the Charlotte Bobcats selected him in the second round and promptly sent him to Golden State.

In his first year with Golden State he saw action in 42 games, including 23 starts. Tyler has managed to see playing time during multiple stints in the D-League in which he averaged 16.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.

Tyler brings two things to the hardwood that the Knicks desperately need. The first is size and the second is rebounding. With both of those assets to his credit, Tyler could very well be one of the lucky few that make the jump from the Summer League to an NBA roster.

Out of these three big men, Jeremy Tyler has to be the clear favorite... Exactly what he has to offer is what our Knicks squad needs... We need size, and with a wingspan of 7'5", he could very well be a steal of the summer league... Rebounding for the Knicks was a major problem last season, and if Tyler was to be signed that is all I would ask of him... Just rebound, second chance & hustle points would give our team a better chance to be successful... His athleticism along side lets say J.R., Hardaway & Leslie would give us another gear off the bench... Can Tyler evolve into a future starter, he has the base of what can be a dominating center for this team... If signed he would get in on the rotation being that Chandler is a walking injury waiting to happen...

Our team didnt play well at all:

Shump looked just plain bad.

Hardaway started out strong but then chucked EVERYTHING.

Chris Smith is a joke.

My summary of the game.

Originally Posted by NY17KNICKS
    Our team didnt play well at all:

Shump looked just plain bad.

Hardaway started out strong but then chucked EVERYTHING.

Chris Smith is a joke.

My summary of the game.
    Shumpert seemed to be coasting. And I dunno if its just me or not but looks like woodson and the staff want shump playing every position but his natural SG position.

Hardaway looked really good. Then looked horrible as he started taking bad shots if he could take decent shots all or most of time we got a great piece. Give him time

Other than that I was impressed with Vargas. He has a really good touch from outside for a big man.

I missed the game....sounds like i didn't miss much. I'm sure the next game they will look better

My main beef is they keep playing shump out of position. He's a 2 guard not a primary ball handler or a SF to that extent. He can play those positions in spurts but not for entirety

My main beef is they keep playing shump out of position. He's a 2 guard not a primary ball handler or a SF to that extent. He can play those positions in spurts but not for entirety

Word is Knicks wont be playing Shump at the 1 anymore.

Superstar

Tyler was looking good out there. I'd give him an invite to training camp

Mike Woodson wants Iman Shumpert to improve facilitating better as a combo guard while communicating to his team mates... On the chance we need him to step in and play point guard, he needs experience... That is why they are playing him in multi positions during the summer league...

The word is Shumpert will only play in the next two summer league games and will likely miss the playoffs because he's leaving for China on Monday for an NBA-sanctioned trip...

I guess but at this point I feel playing him out of position is stunting his potential. He needs to play his natural position so he could blossom to the superstar we know he is/will be.

I guess but at this point I feel playing him out of position is stunting his potential. He needs to play his natural position so he could blossom to the superstar we know he is/will be.

By chance they play him at the SF position at times he could be utilized as a Point Forward, but this would be on the case if he was able to consistently communicate with the team while being able to handle point guard duties... It is better that they do it now in the summer league then try to correct it during the season...