Unofficial Official Knicks Summer League Thread

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
All things Knicks summer league post here. From roster predictions, to game analysis, etc.

Here is the full schedule for the Las Vegas Summer League ( Knicks obviously included ). Including the playoff schedule:

Friday July 12
COX Pavilion
1 PM ? New York vs. New Orleans (Game 1)
6 PM ? Atlanta vs. LA Clippers (Game 2)
8 PM ? Cleveland vs. LA Lakers (Game 3)
10 PM ? Charlotte vs. San Antonio (Game 4)

Saturday July 13
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? Golden State vs. Washington (Game 5)
6 PM ? Sacramento vs. Dallas (Game 6)
8 PM ? Chicago vs. Memphis (Game 8)
10 PM ? Denver vs. Milwaukee (Game 10)

Thomas & Mack
6:30 PM ? Minnesota vs. NBA D-League (Game 7)
8:30 PM ? Phoenix vs. Portland (Game 9)
10:30 PM ? Miami vs. Toronto (Game 11)

Sunday July 14
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? New York vs. Washington (Game 12)
6 PM ? Charlotte vs. Dallas (Game 14)
8 PM ? Cleveland vs. Memphis (Game 16)
10 PM ? Atlanta vs. Miami (Game 18)

Thomas & Mack
4:30 PM ? LA Clippers vs. NBA D-League (Game 13)
6:30 PM ? LA Lakers vs. Portland (Game 15)
8:30 PM ? New Orleans vs. Milwaukee (Game 17)
10:30 PM ? San Antonio vs. Toronto (Game 19)

Monday July 15
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? New York vs. Charlotte (Game 20)
6 PM ? Cleveland vs. New Orleans (Game 21)
8 PM ? LA Clippers vs. LA Lakers (Game 23)
10 PM ? San Antonio vs. Atlanta (Game 25)

Thomas & Mack
6:30 PM ? Minnesota vs. Phoenix (Game 22)
8:30 PM ? Sacramento vs. Golden State (Game 24)
10:30 PM ? Chicago vs. Denver (Game 26)

Tuesday July 16
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? Minnesota vs. Miami (Game 27)
6 PM ? Sacramento vs. Toronto (Game 28)
8 PM ? Chicago vs. Portland (Game 30)
10 PM ? Denver vs. Washington (Game 32)

Thomas & Mack
6:30 PM ? Golden State vs. Milwaukee (Game 29)
8:30 PM ? Phoenix vs. Memphis (Game 31)
10:30 PM ? Dallas vs. NBA D-League (Game 33)

Wednesday July 17
COX Pavilion
6 PM ? #11 Seed vs. #22 Seed (Game 34)
8 PM ? #13 Seed vs. #20 Seed (Game 36)
10 PM ? #15 Seed vs. #18 Seed (Game 38)

Thomas & Mack
6:30 PM ? #12 Seed vs. #21 Seed (Game 35)
8:30 PM ? #14 Seed vs. #19 Seed (Game 37)
10:30 PM ? #16 Seed vs. #17 Seed (Game 39)

Thursday July 18
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? #7 Seed vs. #10 Seed (Game 40)
6 PM ? #6 Seed vs. Winner of Game 34 (Game 42)
8 PM ? #4 Seed vs. Winner of Game 36 (Game 44)
10 PM ? #2 Seed vs. Winner of Game 38 (Game 46)

Thomas & Mack
4:30 PM ? #8 Seed vs. #9 Seed (Game 41)
6:30 PM ? #5 Seed vs. Winner of Game 35 (Game 43)
8:30 PM ? #3 Seed vs. Winner of Game 37 (Game 45)
10:30 PM ? #1 Seed vs. Winner of Game 39 (Game 47)

Friday July 19
COX Pavilion
4 PM ? Game 34 Loser vs. Game 35 Loser (Game 48)
6 PM ? Game 36 Loser vs. Game 37 Loser (Game 49)
8 PM ? Game 40 Loser vs. Game 41 Loser (Game 50)
10 PM ? Game 44 Loser vs. Game 45 Loser (Game 51)

Thomas & Mack
6:30 PM ? Game 38 Loser vs. Game 39 Loser (Game 52)
8:30 PM ? Game 42 Loser vs. Game 43 Loser (Game 53)
10:30 PM ? Game 46 Loser vs. Game 47 Loser (Game 54)

Saturday July 20
Thomas & Mack
4 PM ? Game 40 Winner vs. Game 46 Winner (Game 55)
6 PM ? Game 42 Winner vs. Game 45 Winner (Game 56)
8 PM ? Game 41 Winner vs. Game 47 Winner (Game 57)
10 PM ? Game 43 Winner vs. Game 44 Winner (Game 58)

Sunday July 21
Thomas & Mack
6 PM ? Game 55 Winner vs. Game 56 Winner (Game 59)
8 PM ? Game 57 Winner vs. Game 58 Winner (Game 60)

Monday July 22
Thomas & Mack
9 PM ? Game 59 Winner vs. Game 60 Winner (Game 61)

Our roster includes: ( co

Iman Shumpert _ PG/SG/SF
Tim Hardaway Jr_ SG/SF
C.J Leslie_ SF/PF
Eloy Vargas_ C
A.J Matthews_ C
Jerome Jordan_ C

if you know of anyone else that will be participating please post.

Who do you expect to make the team? (Shumpert and Hardaway not included, obviously) I presonally think Leslie ultimately makes the team for a couple of reasons:

1. his contract is partially guaranteed so he will be a part of our training camp. That being said he should have a great outing in summer league and make our team. In my opinion he will take Copes spot on the roster/rotation and that was part of the reason we drafted him. His game is still evolving, his defense is noteworthy. given the 7'1 wingspan he gets to a lot of shots that others would have trouble with and can recover from blow-bys better than most. His offense around the basket is exceptional his J will need to evolve for him to truly become a solid rotation guy for years to come.

heres a scouting report on Leslie

On to Hardaway, i didnt know much about his game at first -- but i liked the pick. I watched a few of his college games ( thanks youtube ) and saw the finals live. He can play. Flat out. You see it in his movement he may not be the most consistent but a lot of rookies suffer from those growing pains. His offense is better than most, and when hes on his game he was arguably the best player on that 2nd place Michigan team. Coaches all raved at how he sacrificed his game for the team, and all said he could've improved his stock had he played selfishly. However, he chose to win instead. still got his and the team made the final four as a result. That says something about the player. I personally would like to see him put the ball on the floor more, cause watching his scouting, his drive to the basket is too good. He's explosive and when he's on his game he's lights out from the perimeter. when hes struggling he reverts to a spot-up shooter. sounds like we got a Jr at the tip and a Novak when he's off. his defense is above average and playing next to a menace like Shumpert will help his defense look that much better.

Cant find much on A.J but i think the most likely 2 to make the team in when we open in November are,

C.J Leslie and A.J Matthews.

** look out for shumpert, this guy is gonna make a huge leap much like the one we saw George make this year** our flat out #2 option next year is Shumpert. Melo sees it and we all saw his full potential flash at times vs the celtics and vs the pacers. now he just gonna put it all together, and cook!

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Dope thread, Prince.

Looking forward to see a lot of prospects via Pelicans/Hornets/Wizards

thanks bro, you know me gotta come in every now and again and shed some knowledge hahaha. Definitely those squads got a lot of talent competing on that team. Will be interesting to see.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Prince .. Nice Thread
Metro .. where's the stats to the Knicks 64, Bulls 93, SL game

I hope Grunwald is not waiting for the SL games to end, to start looking for the 3rd & 4th tier FA to fill in the (6) empty roster spots .. its not our low budget money that are keeping decent FA away from signing with the Knicks ..
its the untold story of ISO-Melo & ISO JR system (Nuggets & Knicks) that has been keeping FA distant from signing with the Knicks ............ (recall Marbury and our 2 FA name JJ)

This is what we are looking at on July 8, 2013

1) Tyson (finally wants no more of the ISO-Melo system)
2) Amare (never wanted to be a part of the ISO-Melo system)
3) Bargani (a soft injury-prone $12M per player, r we serious?)
4) Shump (has been lost in the ISO-Melo system for 2 season)
5) Felton (has not been enjoying the ISO-Melo system)
6) Pablo (happy to get a 2nd season in the NBA at age 36)
7) Hardaway Jr. (in for a big surprise-surprise his first NBA season)
8) JR.smith (a 6th Man no team want on their roster)
9) ISO-Melo (the Knicks hire/fire supervisor above Grunwald & Woodson)
10) ???
11) ???
12) ???
13) ???
14) ???
15) ???
Lastseason we had a total of 19 players on our roster, inwhich 9 of those players played in 50 games lastseason...

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Hardaway Jr. and Leslie will suit up in Las Vegas for the Knicks' summer league team...,

The rest of the roster includes J’Covan Brown (Texas), Justin Brownlee (St. John's), Terrence Jennings (Louisville), Jerome Jordan (D-League), A.J. Matthews (Farmingdale State), Tony Mitchell (D-League), Toure Murry (D-League), Iman Shumpert, Chris Smith (J.R.'s younger brother), Jeremy Tyler (D-League) and Eloy Vargas (overseas)...

Out of these players:

Jerome Jordan & Jeremy Tyler should be signed on one year deals...

If Knicks could sign two Veteran Min. contracts for one big man and one wing player then use the remaining of the MLE on a PG... These two front court players could be impressive and utilized with quality minutes... Tyler is more intriguing than Jordan but we can only hope...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
We just signed Hardaway JR ( no **** ) today to a rookie deal but the interesting turn was signing Leslie to a contract as well. Seems like this guy is a safe bet to make the team next season and get some burn. I'm looking forward to watch this guy play. Seems like my prediction is coming full circle

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Definitely brother, thanks. Things are getting better and my families all ok. This too shall pass.

Shump is playing because he wants to keep consistency with his offensive game. The more he plays at this point the more he gets better on the offensive ends. This will only help shumpert. He will be a huge option next season. Allstar close numbers; I'm calling it

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Update** add chris smith to the list of summer league players. I for one would be tight if he gets a roster spot over Leslie. Although Leslie's contract runs to at least a training camp invite

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Chris Smith is such a goober ass joke, aint no way this clown signs. If he does, the Knicks dont wanna win.

metrocard

Legend
Chris Smith is such a goober ass joke, aint no way this clown signs. If he does, the Knicks dont wanna win.

I lived next to the guy for two years at Manhattan College, saw him play, train and workout on a daily basis.

Not really sure how the Knicks can use him

Low efficiency 6"3 SG...might as well give Rashad McCants a try out.

Kiyaman

Legend
Definitely brother, thanks. Things are getting better and my families all ok. This too shall pass.

Shump is playing because he wants to keep consistency with his offensive game. The more he plays at this point the more he gets better on the offensive ends. This will only help shumpert. He will be a huge option next season. Allstar close numbers; I'm calling it

Do anyone know the site where the summer-games stats are .. will Shump play in all the SL games?

Do anyone know the site where the summer-games stats are .. will Shump play in all the SL games?

Kiya --- no words man--- no words This ISO MELO is getting out of control, knicks finally have a star who demands shots per game as we have been jealous of kobe, Jordan, wade, dirk, etc for years and you have nothing but negative things to say. Melos offense is not his problem, im shocked that's what you choose to complain about, stars are supposed to isolate and take over games, that's what melo does. if you want to knock him then knock other flaws, but stop with the ISO crap its getting old and its so uncalled for.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Article on the current summer league roster:

http://www.postingandtoasting.com/2...he-2013-knicks-las-vegas-summer-league-roster

Excerpt of the article:

No Player Pos Ht Wt Born College/Country 2012-13 Team Yrs Pro
4 J'Covan Brown G 6-1 197 Feb. 14, 1990 Texas/USA Rethymno/Greece R
13 Justin Brownlee F 6-7 219 Apr. 23, 1988 St. John's/USA San Diego/ABA R
5 Tim Hardaway Jr. G 6-6 205 Mar. 16, 1992 Michigan/USA Michigan/NCAA R
45 Terrence Jennings F 6-10 230 Nov. 2, 1988 Louisville/USA Iowa/NBDL R
44 Jerome Jordan C 7-0 253 Sep. 29, 1986 Tulsa/USA Los Angeles/NBDL 1
25 C.J. Leslie F 6-9 200 Jun. 25, 1991 North Carolina State/USA North Carolina State/NCAA R
40 A.J. Matthews C 7-0 215 Jun. 30, 1989 Farmingdale State/USA Farmingdale State/NCAA R
18 Tony Mitchell F 6-6 216 Aug. 7, 1989 Alabama/USA Fort Wayne/NBDL R
17 Toure Murry G 6-5 199 Nov. 8, 1989 Wichita State/USA Rio Grande/NBDL R
21 Iman Shumpert G 6-5 220 Jun. 26, 1990 Georgia Tech/USA NY Knicks/NBA 2
32 Chris Smith G 6-2 195 Oct. 13, 1987 Louisville/USA None R
30 Jeremy Tyler F 6-10 260 Jun. 12, 1991 Tokyo Apache/Japan Golden State/NBA 2
35 Eloy Vargas F 6-11 244 Dec. 30, 1988 Kentucky/USA San Lazaro/Dominican Republic R

NOTE: The Tony Mitchell is a different player than the one the Knicks were considering drafting.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Kiya you can find the stats on nba.com and Knicks.com not sure which websites would have them; although I'm sure adthe would have em. Shumpert is said to play in all games, however, don't expect to seem him beast. Rather watch him coast. He's playing for the reps and keep game shape fresh and get games under his belt.

Considering we have 5 spots on the roster left I would assume we invite Leslie, Smith and Matthews with (hopefully) Leslie and Matthews making the team

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Best bet, since Lesle already has a contract in place he will make the team... Leslie's ability to play the 3 or 4 with his athleticism and fearlessness to drive in the lane makes him intriguing to our lineup... Just look at it like this we upgraded from Chris Copeland and got C.J. Leslie...

Tyler and Matthews can be depth at both the 4 and the 5 spots... Both Tyler and Matthews are athletic young big men that could focus on second chance points while collecting rebounds... Something we don't have is an effective rebounding big man... Yes we do okay on rebounds but having a player or two focused on just that, would give a boost to both the offensive and defensive sides of the court...

Leaving the need at the 3 to be filled (Raja Bell or MWP)...
I'd prefer MWP over Bell, think Meta would fill a bigger need at the wing... From both perimeter and post defense that is complemented by his outside shooting would do us justice... Could he start at the 3 with Anthony at the 4, yes... His perimeter defense tandem up with Shumpert would be interested to see...

While signing Brooks at PG (Billups could still be an option)...
Also at PG, rather see Brooks than Billups... Like everyone says Billups is a walking time bomb injury waiting to happen, maybe staying clear is the smart thing to do...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Best bet, since Lesle already has a contract in place he will make the team... Leslie's ability to play the 3 or 4 with his athleticism and fearlessness to drive in the lane makes him intriguing to our lineup... Just look at it like this we upgraded from Chris Copeland and got C.J. Leslie...

Tyler and Matthews can be depth at both the 4 and the 5 spots... Both Tyler and Matthews are athletic young big men that could focus on second chance points while collecting rebounds... Something we don't have is an effective rebounding big man... Yes we do okay on rebounds but having a player or two focused on just that, would give a boost to both the offensive and defensive sides of the court...

Leaving the need at the 3 to be filled (Raja Bell or MWP)...
I'd prefer MWP over Bell, think Meta would fill a bigger need at the wing... From both perimeter and post defense that is complemented by his outside shooting would do us justice... Could he start at the 3 with Anthony at the 4, yes... His perimeter defense tandem up with Shumpert would be interested to see...

While signing Brooks at PG (Billups could still be an option)...
Also at PG, rather see Brooks than Billups... Like everyone says Billups is a walking time bomb injury waiting to happen, maybe staying clear is the smart thing to do...

I do agree that we upgraded with Leslie over Copeland. While Copeland was the better perimeter shooter, Leslie is a more complete basketball player and he provides defense and athleticism at the 3-4 positions. Which we were lacking come playoff time.

New New York

Quiet Storm

Hey man wasn't aware you am the fam are going through things...this too shall pass is the best way to look at it! Also know God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Hey man wasn't aware you am the fam are going through things...this too shall pass is the best way to look at it! Also know God doesn't give us anything more than we can handle

No no my families all great. I was referring to my family in Egypt. With all the protests that goes on over there best I could do is hope they all ok. And thankfully, to this point, everyone's doing good.