Unofficial Official Knicks Summer League Thread

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Big Men Jerome Jordan, A.J. Matthews & Jeremy Tyler

Jerome Jordan | C | 7’0” 253 | Experience: 1 year NBA, Last Played in Philippines
Strengths: Size, Shot Blocking & Finishes Around the Basket
Weakness: Face-Up Game, Strength & Underdeveloped Low-Post Game

Center Jerome Jordan is not a new name for Knick fans. He was a member of the regular season roster back in 2011-2012. However, it was quite obvious that he was far from an NBA-ready player. He played for the Knicks summer league team last year as well.

Jordan has had a turbulent career path to say the least. He has spent time everywhere from the NBA, to the D-League, to the Philippines. He now believes that he is ready to be a part of the Knicks rotation adding a rebounding and shot-blocking presence.

As it is presently constituted the Knicks roster only has one center on it, Tyson Chandler. In theory, Jordan should be a perfect for the role as he is still young and is a low maintenance big man who provides the big body and defensive presence that is needed. The question is, can he finally turn that frame and potential into a piece that the Knicks deem suitable for use?

A.J. Matthews | C | 7’1” 215 | Experience: Rookie (Farmingdale State)
Strengths: Size, Transition Game & Rebounding
Weakness: Raw, Low-Post Game, & Motor

D-III product A.J. Matthews is one of the biggest question marks heading into the Knicks time in Vegas, both literally and figuratively. While he is listed at 7-foot-1, many scouts who saw him work out before the draft stated their disbelief and say he is more likely around 6’10”.

The big man had to play his college ball at Farmingdale State, a Division III program, because the NCAA deemed him ineligible. Matthews was dominant against lower level competition, which is something that is necessary for a small school prospect such as him. During his final year at Farmingdale he averaged 22.7 points and 16.3 rebounds, allowing him to cash in 26 double-doubles on the year.

Realistically Matthews is more likely playing to earn a spot on the Erie BayHawks, the Knicks D-League affiliate, than the Knicks regular season roster. However, he is a player to keep an eye on for the future.

Jeremy Tyler | PF | 6’10” 260 | Experience: 2 Years
Strengths: Rebounding, Athleticism & Versatile Offensive Game
Weakness: Offensive efficency, Free Throw Shooting & Shot Blocking

Incase you don’t remember Jeremy Tyler he is the player who decided to forgo his senior year of high school to go overseas. He played two seasons of professional basketball before becoming being eligible for the 2011 draft, where the Charlotte Bobcats selected him in the second round and promptly sent him to Golden State.

In his first year with Golden State he saw action in 42 games, including 23 starts. Tyler has managed to see playing time during multiple stints in the D-League in which he averaged 16.9 points and 8.5 rebounds per game.

Tyler brings two things to the hardwood that the Knicks desperately need. The first is size and the second is rebounding. With both of those assets to his credit, Tyler could very well be one of the lucky few that make the jump from the Summer League to an NBA roster.

Out of these three big men, Jeremy Tyler has to be the clear favorite... Exactly what he has to offer is what our Knicks squad needs... We need size, and with a wingspan of 7'5", he could very well be a steal of the summer league... Rebounding for the Knicks was a major problem last season, and if Tyler was to be signed that is all I would ask of him... Just rebound, second chance & hustle points would give our team a better chance to be successful... His athleticism along side lets say J.R., Hardaway & Leslie would give us another gear off the bench... Can Tyler evolve into a future starter, he has the base of what can be a dominating center for this team... If signed he would get in on the rotation being that Chandler is a walking injury waiting to happen...

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
Our team didnt play well at all:

Shump looked just plain bad.

Hardaway started out strong but then chucked EVERYTHING.

Chris Smith is a joke.

My summary of the game.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Our team didnt play well at all:

Shump looked just plain bad.

Hardaway started out strong but then chucked EVERYTHING.

Chris Smith is a joke.

My summary of the game.

Shumpert seemed to be coasting. And I dunno if its just me or not but looks like woodson and the staff want shump playing every position but his natural SG position.

Hardaway looked really good. Then looked horrible as he started taking bad shots if he could take decent shots all or most of time we got a great piece. Give him time

Other than that I was impressed with Vargas. He has a really good touch from outside for a big man.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
My main beef is they keep playing shump out of position. He's a 2 guard not a primary ball handler or a SF to that extent. He can play those positions in spurts but not for entirety

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
My main beef is they keep playing shump out of position. He's a 2 guard not a primary ball handler or a SF to that extent. He can play those positions in spurts but not for entirety

Word is Knicks wont be playing Shump at the 1 anymore.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Mike Woodson wants Iman Shumpert to improve facilitating better as a combo guard while communicating to his team mates... On the chance we need him to step in and play point guard, he needs experience... That is why they are playing him in multi positions during the summer league...

The word is Shumpert will only play in the next two summer league games and will likely miss the playoffs because he's leaving for China on Monday for an NBA-sanctioned trip...

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
I guess but at this point I feel playing him out of position is stunting his potential. He needs to play his natural position so he could blossom to the superstar we know he is/will be.

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
I guess but at this point I feel playing him out of position is stunting his potential. He needs to play his natural position so he could blossom to the superstar we know he is/will be.

By chance they play him at the SF position at times he could be utilized as a Point Forward, but this would be on the case if he was able to consistently communicate with the team while being able to handle point guard duties... It is better that they do it now in the summer league then try to correct it during the season...

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Three Aces: Which Knicks Stepped Up Against The Pelicans?

By Ben Horney, Knicks fan since '94

After each game during Summer League, we'll choose the three best performances as the Three Aces of the game and break down what made them successful. There were plenty of positive signs in today's loss to the Pelicans, but the following three really stood out.

Tim Hardaway Jr.: 13 points (4-of-12 shooting, 1-6 from three), 5 rebounds, 3 assists.

Hardaway burst out of the gate aggressively, scoring 10 first half points. His first bucket came on a catch-and-shoot from the right baseline off of an inbounds play. As the game continued, Hardaway, perhaps due to fatigue, began relying on his outside shot rather than attempting to attack the rim. It was an up-and-down performance that should ultimately leave Knicks fans hopeful. His game seems NBA-ready, he just needs more reps.

Jeremy Tyler: 10 points (4-of-9 shooting), 11 rebounds

Tyler was very active in the paint, grabbing 11 total rebounds, five of which were offensive. He exuded a strong inside presence, something that the varsity Knicks might even be able to use once the regular season begins. He was third on the team with 10 points, and appeared to become more comfortable with his role as the game went on. If Tyler can keep this sort of play up, his future can be bright.

Toure Murry: 11 points (4-of-6 shooting), 3 rebounds, 2 assists.

Scoring 11 points in just over 12 minutes of action off the bench, Murry dazzled in his Knicks debut. Particularly awe-inspiring was a drive midway through the third quarter, when Murry split a pick-and-roll, drove to the lane and pump-faked before finishing with a beautiful finger roll to give the Knicks a two-point lead. Murry may have earned himself some more minutes going forward in this one.

Its encouraging to see that the Knicks aren't looking to acquire wheel chair granny players like last year and are hoping that some steady play from these youngins to earn a shot at this years current roster... I really do hope that Tyler is consistent, he could have massive role behind Chandler... T.H. Jr. & Leslie need to continue to elevate their game to be ready to compete for an 82 game season, but so far so good...

CoolClyde

^totally agreed, Horney dude! good posts all around....

I thought Iman was def coasting, not really cutting it as PG, other than alley-oop to Timmy JR.
I'd rather see I-man doing what he does best, driving and thriving, then dishing...

Leslie showed some athleticism, but not much else. looks like a young Scottie Pippen, long and lean.
he had one great play where he motored to the basket, so he's got potential...

I liked Tyler's game, seems to be a bruiser, he picked it up as game progressed, he's got the
body and the skills to make training camp for sure.

Toure Murry had one of the best moves of the game, he was scoring and I wasn't even aware of it,
as the announcers were bullsh*tting left and right and not providing commentary, but it was great
to hear Clyde and Breen again on MSG. I'd like to see more Toure.

I liked Alan Hahn talking to Doc Rivers, his son Austin was easily the best player on the floor, that
kid's got game. i expect him to be a major player this year with greater bulk and confidence, too
bad he's not on the Knicks.

the other bigs made their presence felt, that guy McMorrow (sp?) is a fu*cking mountain of a man,
and Eloy (Leroy?) Vargas had a nice touch, but I don't think either one's making training camp, unless
their game improves threefold the next few days.

Expect Jerome James to play next few games, I'm exciting to see if he's improved and can be the #1
bruiser backup behind Chandler. I think he's better than Jeremy Tyler, but we shall see...

a shame how the squad kinda punked out towards the end of the game and let the Pelicones win.
i know these games don't mean squat, but i hated watching summer Knicks shoot and miss and lose,
reminds me of NBA team. hardly any passing the whole game, everyone thinks they're Melo.
guess everyone wants to make the team, but sometimes passing the ball and making the right
play is really the way to make everyone better, and get noticed. IMHO.

erivera

Benchwarmer
I liked Alan Hahn talking to Doc Rivers, his son Austin was easily the best player on the floor, that
kid's got game. i expect him to be a major player this year with greater bulk and confidence, too
bad he's not on the Knicks.

Expect Jerome James to play next few games, I'm exciting to see if he's improved and can be the #1
bruiser backup behind Chandler. I think he's better than Jeremy Tyler, but we shall see...

not sure, but i feel like the msg broadcast doubles up as the nba tv broadcast because why would hahn be interviewing guys who don't really matter to the knicks like monty williams or doc.

also it's jerome jordan. don't even remind of that fat slob jerome james.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
Jerome Jordan, like Chris Smith is trash. I pray that Tyler and McMorrow take his minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoolClyde

also it's jerome jordan. don't even remind of that fat slob jerome james.

ahahahaha.... wtf was i thinking? damn! too many jeromes and jeremy's, tyler's and tyson's.
my mind is blown! i don't think Jerome Jordan is trash, but i agree Chris Swish is total trash,
who's not even worth getting garbage time... we'll see to(mc)morrow.

tiger0330

Legend
Would have loved to see TH have a more efficient scoring game. My fear in drafting him was he was going to be a high volume low efficiency scorer and his first game did not dispel that.

Kiyaman

Legend

Thanx for the update on summer league stats, but NBA.com and Knicks.com ussually never have them.

Woodson's foolishness has been stunting the growth of Iman Shumpert by playing him out of position for two straight seasons .. this is one of the reason I want to see the SL games stat-sheet to see the strong & weak areas of each SL team .. which SL team are strong at the guard position, or foward position, or center position.

I recall the Knicks SL games in the 2005 to 2008 where the Knicks always had the top-3 PG in the SL games in Nate Robinson, but in the regular season games the Knicks forced Nate Robinson to play all his minutes at the SG position. Making the Knicks a consistent 23 win season team playing all its players out of their natural position.

This past regular season we forced Shump to play at the SF position, when Shump rehab training last offseason was strictly as a combo-guard after his ACL surgery. bc during Shump rookie season we were weak at the PG spot with Douglas, Bibby, and Davis playing sloppy in the ISO-Melo system.

Shump played his best NBA basketball as a
backcourt SG next to PG-Lin running the point.
This makes Shump a NBA SG, not a G/F or a Combo-guard early in his career.
Rookie Hardaway JR, is a SG the first 3 seasons of his NBA career.
For Shump & Hardaway to become decent G/F, the Knicks should have a primary PG on the court in the SL games when both Shump & Hardaway are in the same lineup .. this way Shump & Hardaway get a chance to communicate and GELL as Defensive-G/F in a lineup during the few SL games.

The 2 future draft picks the Knicks gave away to Toronto, couldve been used on draft night to get us a decent young primary PG out of the 2013 draft class for Shump & Hardaway growth as Knicks.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Thanx for the update on summer league stats, but NBA.com and Knicks.com ussually never have them.

Woodson's foolishness has been stunting the growth of Iman Shumpert by playing him out of position for two straight seasons .. this is one of the reason I want to see the SL games stat-sheet to see the strong & weak areas of each SL team .. which SL team are strong at the guard position, or foward position, or center position.

I recall the Knicks SL games in the 2005 to 2008 where the Knicks always had the top-3 PG in the SL games in Nate Robinson, but in the regular season games the Knicks forced Nate Robinson to play all his minutes at the SG position. Making the Knicks a consistent 23 win season team playing all its players out of their natural position.

This past regular season we forced Shump to play at the SF position, when Shump rehab training last offseason was strictly as a combo-guard after his ACL surgery. bc during Shump rookie season we were weak at the PG spot with Douglas, Bibby, and Davis playing sloppy in the ISO-Melo system.

Shump played his best NBA basketball as a
backcourt SG next to PG-Lin running the point.
This makes Shump a NBA SG, not a G/F or a Combo-guard early in his career.
Rookie Hardaway JR, is a SG the first 3 seasons of his NBA career.
For Shump & Hardaway to become decent G/F, the Knicks should have a primary PG on the court in the SL games when both Shump & Hardaway are in the same lineup .. this way Shump & Hardaway get a chance to communicate and GELL as Defensive-G/F in a lineup during the few SL games.

The 2 future draft picks the Knicks gave away to Toronto, couldve been used on draft night to get us a decent young primary PG out of the 2013 draft class for Shump & Hardaway growth as Knicks.

Agreed. Shumpert is our future. I see what woodson and the staff are doing though,; getting shump reps at the pg so he could handle it in games in spurts-- which I don't mind. Shump, Jr and hardaway for a stretch run is a good look. But at the same time I want to see shumpert play his natural position so his offensive game can really blossom.

Btw, if you want stats on the summer league games there's NBA gametime app that you can download on your phone.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Tim hardaway is nice! Say what you guys will. I'm still a like skeptical of his shot selection but his game is oozing with talent. Saw a couple of dunks and a 3 finished with 9 through the first quarter. Dudes gonna have an important role for us this season I like em