Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your starting 5 as of right now.

Veteran

Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    Bargs isn't a bust and hes actually adding more rebounding to our starting unit then the people he's replacing from last year.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Not a bust, you should read this. What bothers me is this excerpt from the article which confirms what I read about the guy that what he likes the most about the NBA is the perks like the money, fame and endorsements and not the competition and winning.

He never played the game of basketball with any pride. As the years progressed, it was starting to become more apparent that he didn't care anymore. His passion was fading, if it was even there in the first place. Bargnani rarely presented the work ethic it took to get better and help lead this team back to the postseason. It's as if he never wanted the responsibility that came with being "the guy."

New York idolizes its tough-minded players who have a winning attitude and play with heart and the love for the game. Bargnani possessed none of those qualities as a Toronto Raptor, so I can only imagine what he's going to be like as a Knick.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

felton
    shump
    artest
    melo
    chandler

6th-jr

Superstar

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Not a bust, you should read this. What bothers me is this excerpt from the article which confirms what I read about the guy that what he likes the most about the NBA is the perks like the money, fame and endorsements and not the competition and winning.

He never played the game of basketball with any pride. As the years progressed, it was starting to become more apparent that he didn't care anymore. His passion was fading, if it was even there in the first place. Bargnani rarely presented the work ethic it took to get better and help lead this team back to the postseason. It's as if he never wanted the responsibility that came with being "the guy."

New York idolizes its tough-minded players who have a winning attitude and play with heart and the love for the game. Bargnani possessed none of those qualities as a Toronto Raptor, so I can only imagine what he's going to be like as a Knick.

I don't need to read another mans article on someone to form an opinion. Just cuz its written somewhere does that mean its validated? No because they don't specialize in basketball knowledge they are just fans just like us just with degrees in journalism. Remember vince Carter leaving Toronto he was called washed up, not caring and all. Went to Jersey resurrected his career. Bargs will do the same thing. I'm willing to bet whatever. Why play hard or care for fans who continue to insult and ridicule you? Yeah knicks may boo you but its because we care, its passion that rubs off on players. Toronto simply booed out of pure disrespect and hate. Maybe they boo him cuz he doesn't care or maybe he doesn't care because of how they boo. But what came first the chicken or the egg? Doesn't matter they're both in existence. We boo stat but not because we hate him. We are encouraging him to play how we think he can play and be better like we know he can be. They boo him because they legit think he's a scrub so why should he feel inspired to even play? I'm taking any bets bargs will be the difference player we need. I'm not saying he is gonna put us over the heat. But he will be that wing man for melo. Our 2nd leading scorer. Save this, book mark it, do whatever.

I think Bargs will be a decent back up...he won't have to be "The Guy" and can just blend in. Thats his personality from what i see. He's not a leader. We can hope he put the effort in to be liked in Ny. I think Prigs will get him involved

Veteran

My Knicks …..
    A starting-5 and our rotation is a complicated call when our HC Woodson will favor our duper-star Melo decision making of every lineup. Melo has been the most minute played Knicks since the day of Melo arrival (avg 40 mpg).
    And we rarely see any team GELLIN when Melo is in the lineup.

PG – Felton & Priginio .. equal either could be our starter
    SG- Shump & JR .. Shunp’s defense should b our 6th man
    SF- Melo & Meta .. Meta’s all-around talents will prove Melo is not a PF
    PF- Amare & K-Mart .. both perform like All-Star players without Melo
    C- Tyson & Bargani .. Tyson is a top-10 center, Bargani is a 7 yr question mark

Our 6.6 SG rookie Hardaway Jr. showed little flashes of NBA talent in a summer league game.
    He may receive consistent playingtime minutes after 35 games.

P.S. We just went through two-seasons of an injury-prone roster .. will we make it three in a row???

.450 to .500 team

Felton
    Shumpert
    Melo
    Bargnani
    Chandler

This lineup is the best because it provides quickness in Felton, defense in Shump and Tyson, and offense in Melo and Bargnani. One thing that lacked in the starting lineup last season was a 2nd go to scorer with Melo. Bargnani spreads the floor for Felton-Chandler pick and roll and it takes pressure off of Melo.

Bench:
    Prigioni
    Hardaway Jr
    JR Smith
    Artest
    Amare

Martin
    Leslie
    Toure Murray
    Jeremy Tyler

We don't have a legit backup center but Amare can now play safely at the center and be the focal point with JR if Artest or Martin is with him to help on defense. I believe Martin was great last year but he is injury prone and his offense is limited so I would lower his minutes for Hardaway JR and Artest.

We will have to live with no true back up center unless Tyler comes in at times.

Felton
    Shump
    Melo
    Barg
    Chandler

Bench:
    Beno
    JR
    Metta
    Amar'e
    Martin

Pablo, Hardaway Jr, Leslie and Tyler are all fill-ins as needed.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Woodson said that two starting spots are up for grabs....so we'll see in the preseason and training camp who wins.

I think SG/SF/C is locked up.

PG and PF will be the spots that will be fought for.

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Woodson said that two starting spots are up for grabs....so we'll see in the preseason and training camp who wins.

I think SG/SF/C is locked up.

PG and PF will be the spots that will be fought for.
    After Mike Woodson addressed a small group of reporters on Wednesday at the Knicks' practice facility, one thing was clear about next season: Carmelo Anthony, Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton would start.

But the other two spots are up for grabs.

"We've got to find two other bodies that fit that starting lineup, and who that's going to be, at this point. I don't know," said Woodson, who interacted with a group of children during the Garden of Dreams Foundation's fifth annual Dream Week, offering advice and giving them a behind-the-scenes tour of the practice center.

Woodson didn't even make any guarantees about starting Iman Shumpert, who was in the first five last season at the 3 position.

"We don't know; we've got to see," the coach said. "You've got to go in and earn a spot; that's how I look at it."

Woodson, however, complemented Shumpert's growth as a player, especially as a shooter. That should make him a candidate to start at the other guard position, especially with the team putting a great emphasis on his playmaking development this offseason. Last season, Woodson fell in favor of a two point guard backcourt, and Shump played some point guard in his rookie season.

"Iman has improved tremendously as a player," Woodson said. "He still has a long way to go being such a young player, but his jump shot has definitely improved from the time he stepped foot in this league. I've got to think that's going to continue to get better."

Woodson's openness in terms of the startling lineup could mean three things: one, he might be thinking about starting Felton and Pablo Prigioni together, which resulted in a 13-game winning streak in March; two, Metta World Peace could start at small forward; or three, Andrea Bargnani could become the main power forward, moving Anthony back to the 3. Woodson doesn't see a strict role for Melo.

"See, you guys look at 4 and 3 and 2," Woodson said. "I don't look at it like that. Melo's a player, man. I can play Melo at 2, and he'll be just fine. Then what would you guys be saying? No really, I don't know where I'm going to play him yet. I mean, I'm going to play him; I do know that."

Woodson said assembling the rotation will be a key focus for him coming training camp.

"As a coach, I'm looking forward to getting to [veteran] camp just to see where we are as a ball club and piecing it all together, because that's what it's going to take in terms of us making our run next season," he said.

Whatever Woodson decides, he said it's important there will be continuity from last season's roster.

"That means a lot," he said. "I think when you're talking about trying to build a championship team, you've got to keep the core guys in place. I mean, when you're changing up constantly, every other year or two years, it's tough. It's kind of nice to have the core group back. We think we've added some pieces that can help that core group, and it's going to be up to me to put it together, which I'm looking forward to."

12th man

Felton starting...well, hello mediocrity.

Felton - Prigioni - Artest - Anthony - Chandler as Starting Five

Superstar

We weren't mediocre last year. 10,000 plus

12th man

Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    We weren't mediocre last year. 10,000 plus

The level of PG play is medicore.

I love Woodson saying he could play Melo at the 2. That'd be pretty cool..

Felton
    Melo
    MWP
    Bargnani
    Chandler

Looks good to me

I am more interested in running a deep (10 to 12) regular rotation than in who starts.

The Knicks will be better off if no player (even Melo) regularly exceeds 30 minutes per game, keeping the core team healthy into the postseason.

That said, someone has to start.

Especially if they play to their depth, this team will be able to score 110 points or more on a regular basis, and 95+ points against top defensive teams.

The question is defense and rebounding.

To promote and achieve better defense, start the best defensive team possible along with Melo:

Chandler
    MWP
    Melo
    Shumpert
    Felton

This will help motivate bench players Smith, Stat, Bargnani, and Udrih to play consistent defense in order to see extended minutes. The other primary bench players (Prigioni and KMart), as well as the limited role players (Tyler, Hardaway, Leslie, and the final signee) will not need the added incentive.

Later in the game you can have stretches with Smith, Melo, and Bargnani in the game together. However, this will not be a very good defensive alignment. Look for a knockout offensive barrage, however.

The role players will get a chance to break the regular rotation as they devleop, as injuries occur, and if some of the primary bench players under-perform. Tyler, Hardaway, and Leslie all have the potential to be solid two-way role players, which will give the Knicks more consistency than some of the primary players who are more limited on one end or the other of the court. At the very least, this will provide pressure on those players to work harder on their weaknesses.
    Last edited by nixon7; Aug 20, 2013 at 04:29.