Knicks interested in Bobby Brown for PG spot

dasilva1079

Benchwarmer
Can shoot the 3, looks to drive, dishes to cutters, looks good to me. The only problem with the video is that it shows nothing on his D.

petescud

Starter
Looks like a good pickup for 3rd string PG....lets hope he plays decent defense....also looks like he'd be a decent backup SG

nixon7

Benchwarmer
The only article I could find which mentions defense states that:

"He has the quickness, footwork and length make him a very good pressure defender despite his lack of ideal height. when he puts his mind to it, which unfortunately he does not on a consistent basis. He can generate steals and cause fast break opportunities and has very good lateral quickness."

Seems like with the right coaching and as a third string or even fourth string PG option, he might be coaxed into improving his defensive effort. The video above shows he can definitely pass and not just score. He also seems to understand pace, flow, and has floor vision. Utterly reasonable to bring him to camp and let him compete with Toure Murry and others. I assume we could give him a vet min contract and then waive him later anyway, if we had to?

Full article:

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyo...-knicks-work-out-euroleague-star-bobby-brown/

tiger0330

Legend
The only article I could find which mentions defense states that:

"He has the quickness, footwork and length make him a very good pressure defender despite his lack of ideal height. when he puts his mind to it, which unfortunately he does not on a consistent basis. He can generate steals and cause fast break opportunities and has very good lateral quickness."

Seems like with the right coaching and as a third string or even fourth string PG option, he might be coaxed into improving his defensive effort. The video above shows he can definitely pass and not just score. He also seems to understand pace, flow, and has floor vision. Utterly reasonable to bring him to camp and let him compete with Toure Murry and others. I assume we could give him a vet min contract and then waive him later anyway, if we had to?

Full article:

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyo...-knicks-work-out-euroleague-star-bobby-brown/
I liked what I read about him in this article. You know at 28 coming to the NBA he probably knows that this would be his last chance on the big stage and he would be motivated to maintain his defensive focus in the limited minutes he gets.

He's probably more NBA ready than Toure Murry, we have 15 roster spots, stashing Murry in the D-League and signing Brown is what I would do if we can't get Aaron Brooks.

Broadway

All Star
Who cares this guy is a Bum....meanwhile the Clippers are closing on a 2yr deal with Byron Mullens for peanuts. We're chasing guys like Bobby Brown....(everyone wants to play in NYC right?) when supposedly Felton is so much better than Jeremy Lin and Pablo makes Melo so much better a player when he's on the court?

What I don't understand why haven't we explored trading Felton to the Nuggets(again yep) for Andre Miller since they have been looking to move him? That would shed Felton's salary off the 2015 books.

Before any of you crack on Richard Pryor's age...look the guy has only missed 5-6gms his entire 15yr NBA career. We probably could have asked for Miller and Stone(although Masai signed him early on) for Felton and cash. If Grunwaldo wasn't MIA and more of a savvy GM he probably could have got a deal like this completed.

Last edited:

knicksman20

Benchwarmer
Who cares this guy is a Bum....meanwhile the Clippers are closing on a deal 2yr deal with Byron Mullens for peanuts. We're chasing guys like Bobby Brown....(everyone wants to play in NYC right?) when supposedly Felton is so much better than Jeremy Lin and Pablo makes Melo so much better a player when he's on the court?

What I don't understand why haven't we explored trading Felton to the Nuggets(again yep) for Andre Miller since they have been looking to move him? That would shed Felton's salary off the 2015 books.

Before any of you crack on Richard Pryor's age...look the guy has only missed 5-6gms his entire 15yr NBA career. We probably could have asked for Miller and Stone(although Masai signed him early on) for Felton and cash. If Grunwaldo wasn't MIA and more of a savvy GM he probably could have got a deal like this completed.

I've been saying that since his college days. He looks even more like him now that he's older.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Why is Bobby Brown a bum? The only knocks on him in the past have been defense and passing, and he appears to have improved in both areas, most dramatically in the passing, floor vision, and pacing areas. Is he Chris Paul? No. But as a third string PG with upside, we could do a whole lot worse.

That said, we should look at Aaron Brooks, Toure Murry, and others during camp as well. I cannot imagine even if we give Brown a guaranteed contract for more than just training camp now, that we cannot just waive him later anyway if we decide on someone else.

Also, until we sign Kenyon Martin and CJ Leslie (neither of which are guaranteed yet) we only have 10 roster spots locked down, so there is room for two PGs and three bigs still. Assuming we do sign both, then one PG and two bigs makes more sense, but is not required.

CoolClyde

Bobby Brown: "He over-dribbled last year at summer league, and [NBA insiders] made fun of him because he was kind of clueless with the ball."

Broadway

All Star
If we're interested in rubbish, scrubbish, trash(such as Bobby Brown).....then let it chase us and not the other way around. Hearing of workouts such as Raja Bell and Bobby Brown just shows the extent of how sad the state of affairs are.

Look at how many players have declined signing here that we wanted this summer...

Brand
Brooks
Allen
Delfino
Barnes
Mayo
Ellis
Bellineli
Brewer
Bynum(Will)
Dorrell Wright
Brandan Wright
Calderon
Watson

Look we have to start carrying ourselves as a dignified and prestigious franchise. We have to start acting as if this is the Premiere place to play, although reality may suggest otherwise. There is a saying in life that says "perception is reality." The problem with us we're carry on business as if reality is reality.

We don't know how to massage the environmental climate to make it appear as if it's different. Everyone involved in the NBA, sees us as ultra transparent and vulnerable and worthy to be talked bad about. We give them ammo to do so, by the decisions we make.

Nothing will change, until we change.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
If we're interested in rubbish, scrubbish, trash(such as Bobby Brown).....then let it chase us and not the other way around. Hearing of workouts such as Raja Bell and Bobby Brown just shows the extent of how sad the state of affairs are.

Look at how many players have declined signing here that we wanted this summer...

Brand
Brooks
Allen
Delfino
Barnes
Mayo
Ellis
Bellineli
Brewer
Bynum(Will)
Dorrell Wright
Brandan Wright
Calderon
Watson

Look we have to start carrying ourselves as a dignified and prestigious franchise. We have to start acting as if this is the Premiere place to play, although reality may suggest otherwise. There is a saying in life that says "perception is reality." The problem with us we're carry on business as if reality is reality.

We don't know how to massage the environmental climate to make it appear as if it's different. Everyone involved in the NBA, sees us as ultra transparent and vulnerable and worthy to be talked down at. We give them ammo to do so, by the decision we make.

Nothing will change until we change.
Word is the Bucks are at an impasse with Jennings would you trade Felton for Jennings?

Broadway

All Star
Would you trade Shumpert for Jennings ?

Felton is a no brainer

I would contemplate it depending on what we do with Melo.....If we can trade Melo/Shump/Tyson/Bargs to get back multiple picks.

See Shumpert is due for an extension next yr by October assuming we pick up his TO that summer prior to, but Melo is due for an extension this year. I think we should be talking to Melo to figure out what we and he want to do. If we're trying to retool around Melo which would be like the 4-5th time in his career a team has attempted to do so without success then I wouldn't trade for Jennings at all because it will limit future cap space, but if both sides deem it amicable to part ways then I'm contacting the Bucks now....

I'd offer Shump/Tyson for Jennings/Illyasova/2015/2017 2nd

I'm trading Melo at the trade deadline to the Lakers(knowing that's where Melo will more likely leave) and Bargs/Felton and ask for Pau Gasol/Nash/Hill/2016 and 2018 2nd

Keep in mind after this yr because of CBA Tax restrictions we will not be able to execute any S&T during the summer unless we're under the cap. So if we have any reservations about contending...then abort the plan, it has to get done before this year concludes.

Then we'd have

Jennings/Nash(trade bait expiring)
Smith/TJ
Free Agent signing(Ariza for example)/Leslie(move him to small forward)
Illyasova/Amar'e(trade bait expiring hopefully but he's so damaged)
Gasol(1yr deal)/Hill(1yr deal)....give them competitive 1yr deals and preserve 2015 cap space.

4 future 2nd round draft picks and cap space come 2015 approximately $20-25mil

Last edited:

nixon7

Benchwarmer
It looks like Bobby Brown is gonna be happening, at least for training camp, and likely beyond:

http://www.sportsmedia101.com/newyo...-from-the-new-york-knicks-as-early-as-friday/

I have seen some Bobby Brown haters on this forum in recent days. Let's hope they are eating their hats by next Spring.

Note, that this does not necessarily mean the end of Toure Murry's chances with the team, although stashing him in the D League or China for the start of the season is always possible also.