Five rule changes for 2013-14

gmf1369

Benchwarmer
Jared Zwerling | ESPNNewYork.com

On Thursday, the NBA Board of Governors approved five rules changes for the upcoming 2013-14 season. Each of them was recommended by the NBA?s Competition Committee at its meeting on June 12.

The first three involve instant replay, which now be can used:
  • When reviewing a block/charge play to determine whether the defender was inside or outside the restricted area, officials will now be permitted to reverse a charge call, or uphold a blocking call, when the defender was outside the restricted area but was not set when the offensive player began his upward shooting motion.
  • To determine whether an off-ball foul occurred before or after a player has started his shooting motion on a successful shot attempt, or before or after the ball was released on a throw-in.
  • During the review of any instant replay situation to permit the officials to assess the appropriate penalties of any unsportsmanlike and unnecessary acts (e.g. flagrant fouls) that are observed during the instant replay reviews.

Additional rules modifications include:
  • On clear path to the basket fouls, it will no longer be considered a clear path foul if at any point before the foul is committed the defender who commits the foul is positioned ahead of the offensive player in the frontcourt.
  • A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Nice find! Props to you. Wonder how these changes were made to help Miami cover the blow of every team in the east get better. Hahaha

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
They need to do something about carrying and traveling. It would not shock me if the reason why it's "the era of guards" is because of how loose those rules have become. It's not just the guards who constantly get away with it, but yeah.

johnk812

Rookie
"
  • A team on offense will lose possession if its player leaves the floor and does not immediately return to the floor, unless he is injured, attempting to save the ball or in other extenuating circumstances.

Ummm...what? I can't even think of an example for this one lol.

Does that mean the Pacers would have lost possession of the ball when Artest went HAM in the Palace? 'Cause I figured that much was a given lol.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
"

Does that mean the Pacers would have lost possession of the ball when Artest went HAM in the Palace? 'Cause I figured that much was a given lol.
I was wondering what this rule change is too. Are they talking about when a player in the game is off the ball on the out of the bounds area to get around players while the game is going?

DaTPRiNCE

The Knicks are Back
Bring back the hand check. Make defensive play/players relevant again. Defense in the 80-90's was brutal cause it was a defensive game. Now if you look at a player the wrong way its a foul

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I was wondering what this rule change is too. Are they talking about when a player in the game is off the ball on the out of the bounds area to get around players while the game is going?

Kind off they're talking about teams like the nuggets who are horrible at shooting so how do they get to the hole with a very smooth way... they space out the floor but instead of going to the perimeter they'll go out of bounds and the defender basically follows him there to avoid illegal defense and the floor is so open from then on anybody could break their man down 1 on 1.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y72LBKdViI