Knicks not being aggressive for Schroeder will hurt them in the future.

metrocard

Legend
We won't see another PG prospect like this until Semaj Christon.

Mark my words.
Denis Schroeder will join the elite level PG's. Top 10 at least.

petescud

Starter
Yeah, i like the kid a lot too. Guess they figured that Hardaway will also be a NBA top player one day. Neither has played a NBA reg season game yet, so we're guessing right now....Schroeder is definitely ready to contribute though

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
I have to agree, kid's quick, athetic, has great court vision and passing ability. He's a solid shooter who can also take it to the hoop. I've always liked Schroeder and I really hoped we'd somehow get him. IMO an early RoY candidate, kid's just too good. IMO the advantage of Schroeder against Hardaway is that he played 2 years in a pro league, which means he's used to play against men, not college kids and that'll pay off as soon as he steps on an NBA court.

metrocard

Legend
Here's what fans are saying about Shcroeder

Call it an over reaction if you want to but I feel I have a good eye for talent, anyway, just saw a few Summer League games and I gotta say hopefully the Hawks matched Teague's offer sheet to trade him cause damn they coulda save a buck or two by letting him go cause this kid Dennis Schr?der looks like he's gonna be the goods. Image 6'2" broad shoulders, wiry strong build, long arms, excellent excellent defender, kid has great foot speed and able to stay with other PG's, and strong enough to not get pushed around cause these grown men were definitely trying to. Hawks should let this kid take the keys to the team and let him run the show cause he ready. I'm seeing young Gary Payton. Teague is a good player etc, not a $42M player (God bless him, he got paid) but I don't see special or that "it" factor like I see in Dennis.

Schr?der not only looked better but showed he is better, Trey looked scared and tentative, Dennis didn't, not at all. Trey got physically man handled and pushed around, Schr?der didn't. Not sure if some of you guys commenting saw the Summer League games he's played in and are just going by his stats or highlights or even worse his Nike Team clips and if so, you got him twisted. And Summer League is where Damian Lillard and other guys went out and dominated and Schr?der is showing he is far more composed than many of those vet and younger players out there competing for roster spots cause he didn't rush anything, ran the offense, knew when to push tempo and when to slow it down, and more importantly knew how to defend his position very easily. He's gonna give Teague fits in practice, hope they show y'all on NBATV Training Camp, and I think Teague is a pretty nice young PG but Schr?der could do what Teague does at 1/8th the cost and he's shown to have a higher bball IQ in my eyes as well. Shoulda let Teague go for more assets (from MIL) and signed a vet backup PG to teach Dennis, you don't keep a young $8M PG to mentor his replacement, it's counter-productive mentally and fiscally for both players fans and franchise.

Congratulations on taking Schroeder... what's scary is that while everyone can see the physical talent, that his vision and control is looking great... what's underwritten is that this guy isn't Rondo as a shooter. 40% from 3pt on over 3 attempts a game and 84% FT are great numbers for a prospect. Sure may take a year or two to adjust to the line, but he could be a legitimate outside shooter. Add in a shooting game and what can't he do?

Schr?der is a true PG . . . and NBA-quality at that. He has the vision to be special. His quickness, his hands, his extra gear are top-level. He has the understanding of a veteran as to what is going on on the court. He is composed beyond his years and is already emotionally ready to lead an NBA team. However, he does not have the body right now and may never have. I remember Kenny Anderson, who was perhaps the best pure PG I've ever seen. He couldn't star in the NBA because he didn't have the strength - and in the NBA, you have to have enough strength. No matter how good you are, you can be pushed right out of this level by stronger men. We have to wait until Schr?der gets his man's body while considering he might never get one.

I agree this kid is the future of the franchise and a future allstar imo, his game is so similar to rondos its scary. I expect Teague to get traded by next year. I know once they give Schroder the keys, hes gonna struggle at first but it will pay off. I was shocked how comfortable he looked in his first summer league game coming from another country and now playing against men I thought he would look out of place but his handles are elite, vision is elite, speed is elite, hes the real deal. looked 10x better than trey burke.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Wait...What are we basing the lack of aggression on? How can we tell how active or inactive The Knicks were in trying to land this kid?

There were reports that The Knicks had interest but he and his agent had a cutoff for positions in The Draft so you have to move on.

So should The Knicks have offered Shump, our pick and cash for a player they had not seen up close?

Now had the Knicks passed on this kid like we did w Rondo to draft Balkman than that is a completely different story but who can blame a team for not trading up, or for all we know being able to trade up

and you are also assuming teams in front of us wanted our assets over Schroder...Donnie Walsh said it best in regards to trades "Anyone can draw up a trade when talking at a Sports Bar, now get another GM to agree to your terms"

So for all we know Glen could have called teams ahead of us before or even during the draft and teams simply were not interested....its no one's fault that we did not end up with this kid, this won't "hurt" us because we had no affiliation with him!

Bringing in Isiah as GM hurt us
Not being able to sign Lebron 2010 hurt us
trading away Ewing Hurt us
Again Drafting Renaldo Balkman over Rondo hurt us
Weiss over Artest hurt us
Frye over Bynum hurt us
Bringing in Chris Childs over Tim Hardaway Sr. hurt us
and so on...

but these are all moves that were either missed opportunities or poor choices but not being able to move up to get a player is not such a blown opportunity.

I suppose you may be saying you wished we had been able to draft him, in which case I'd have to agree, he would have been a great pickup but so would have Kyrie Irving 3 years ago!

Sometimes things are just out of your control, that's life!

metrocard

Legend
The Knicks Front Office failed us with their inactivity within the NBA Draft and their inability to address our interior defense and ball movement weakness as a team.

well the reports on the Knicks looking into Schroeder? Most draft reports are just speculation.
Schroeder was projected anywhere from 8 to 24. T
his was one of the most unpredictable drafts in the past decade.
Knicks need an interior defender/shot blocker or a young PG to replace Felton.
Atlanta got that within two picks.
If Knicks were really serious about their biggest weaknesses, then it would be a priority.
A championship franchise doesn't move on and accept their weaknesses and go into the season with the weakness unanswered. Knicks need to run themselves like the Spurs, then we'll be a respectable franchise and not get stomped by teams like the Pacers or Miami or punked by Pierce/KG in the playoffs.

Knicks make it seem like resigning JR Smith was such a priority when it really contradicts Shumpert's development and playing time.
Iman is a SG
JR Smith is a SG.
so we draft another SG in Tim Hardaway.

Makes sense, so you ask if Knicks should of traded Iman Shumpert? Well, it seems so if they drafted another SG. Unconfirmed "reports" are saying Iman Shumpert is unhappy with what the Knicks are doing this off season.

It seems like Knicks scouting goes as far beyond in scouting C level pros in Euro and sign them to a short contract.
I have nothing against as it has helped us out a lot with Prigioni and Copeland. Maybe Bobby Brown can do something for us being another off the bench plug (as if Smith, Bargnani, Stoudemire and Hardaway isn't enough.) Lottery teams are willing to make moves and it's not like Knicks have terrible pieces.

I personally wouldn't trade Shumpert straight up, but for draft picks and get Schroeder and Nogueira, I would pull the move off in an instant. I much rather have high potential prospects at PG and C than just one at SG.
That's my way of thinking. Balance. This team isn't balance and the Knicks FO has done a terrible job in making an effect in doing so. You make the Draft and Off Season your opportunity to shake up your roster and build it for the best chance to compete.

I would of traded

Shumpert

for

DeShawn Stevenson

Hawks
Teague/Williams/Mack
Shumpert/Hardaway Jr./Jenkins
Korver/Cunningham
Milsap/Brand/Scott
Horford/Muscala

Knicks
Prigioni/Felton/Schroeder
Smith/Stevenson/
Anthony/World Peace
Martin/Bargnani
Chandler/Stoudemire/Nogueira

I believe these prospects will be top 10 players in this draft, and will work their way into 20+ minutes into an NBA lineup soon.

Rob Low

Rotation player
I've been keeping an eye on him and he's been looking great out there. Nogueira was also looking very good. He blocked everything inside. He's not as raw as some people have been saying. The hawks had a great draft day.

tiger0330

Legend
What was the reason this kid fell to 17 in draft? He's been playing better than Trey Burke. He really looks good even if it's only summer league.

metrocard

Legend
What was the reason this kid fell to 17 in draft? He's been playing better than Trey Burke. He really looks good even if it's only summer league.

He got a bad rep from his coach in Germany, off the court he shows off a lot of swag...but he pretty much kicks ass in the gym and in training.

His game is very mature for a 19 year old, his long arms and broad shoulders will make him an excellent defender.

His weakness is finishing at the rim and being foul prone. I remember they said the same thing about Stephon Curry so it can be correctable.

He reminds me of Leandro Barbosa with PG skills and Avery Bradley defense.