Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: How do Knicks defend the interior with Amare, Andrea and Tyson playing big minutes?

  1. #1
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default How do Knicks defend the interior with Amare, Andrea and Tyson playing big minutes?

    Neither guy block shots.
    Knicks finished last in the NBA in blocked shots.
    Very weak in interior defense and OPP FG%.

    You can expect Amare, Andrea and Tyson to play 24-26+ minutes at LEAST and 32 minutes at MOST in between each other.

    Chandler isn't the DPOY he once was, now an average NBA defend at best...I know he was injured but we'll see if he can recover and get back to his intense playing style. He was very soft in 2013.

  2. #2
    Super Moderator RunningJumper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,967
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    A healthy Kurt Thomas.

  3. #3
    Superstar nuckles2k2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,172
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    They don't.

    They talk up the perimeter defense of Shump, and Artest, who both have to literally be vacuum-sealed to their man, because there's no help on the back end. Then when the perimeter defense starts breaking down, they'll say the team needs to "gel" and come together because of the new pieces.

    The Knicks getting cooked inside will be glossed over.

  4. #4
    Veteran petescud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,780
    Rep Power
    9

    Default

    Gotta remind us..lol

  5. #5
    Veteran bigapple's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    west poland
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    I dont see Tyson as starter anymore but this is just mine word Woody have own

    Bargniani can block much better than Tyson

    Stat playing no D and his frustration when he will be keeping ball "hands down"

  6. #6
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,395
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    I've been wondering that since they traded for Bags. The only thing Woody can do is let the opposing team score 105 points and hope the Knicks score 106.

  7. #7
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    623
    Rep Power
    7

    Default

    Our acquisitions don't address our needs but they do help or strengths... like novak wasn't guarding anyone either. And bargs may be a bad defender but his defense is still an upgrade over novak. And mwp perimeter d is above what we got from kidd and he can contribute more then kidd at 40 years old can. Yeah we still have deficiencies but mwp and bargs still make us better. Yall are gonna be surprised at bargs I'm telling yall....

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Westchester, New York
    Posts
    449
    Rep Power
    10

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    Our acquisitions don't address our needs but they do help or strengths... like novak wasn't guarding anyone either. And bargs may be a bad defender but his defense is still an upgrade over novak. And mwp perimeter d is above what we got from kidd and he can contribute more then kidd at 40 years old can. Yeah we still have deficiencies but mwp and bargs still make us better. Yall are gonna be surprised at bargs I'm telling yall....

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Totally agree, although will not address our major weaknesses, they still make us better. I also believe Barganani will be great for us and i'll put money on it that he will produce more than camby and novak combined last year. Defense didn't improve alot with the additions but still improved. And yeah stat is not a great defender but from what i remember he was still blocking more shots than chandler. Man i'll be happy to see Stat give us some minutes, no matter how many, will still be another upgrade to the team which we didn't have last year.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenwich Village
    Posts
    326
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Chandler was injured, played too many minutes per game, had too little team support, and could never afford to foul out of games, which made him too worn down and passive.

    I am expecting better team defense and considerably more backup for Chandler than last year.

    In particular, with Shumpert at the SG and MWP on the floor, I expect less switching on screens and fewer guards breaking us down, which will mean fewer rotations inside, and better interior defense overall as a result. Hardaway can also potentially help us in this regard as well.

    Team blocks last year ranged from 3.2 Miami to 6.9 Bobcats. The Knicks were at 4.0.

    Bargnani's defense improved last year, and might improve even more under Woodson. His best year in Toronto, he blocked 1.4 shots per game which is not terrible. I think with some focus and work, as well as a better system, he could get that closer to 2 per game. However, even if Chandler and Bargnani average only 1.5 blocks per game each , and Stat and Martin close to 1 each, and everyone else close to 1 total, that would mean somewhere in the realm of 5-6 blocks per game for the team, which is very respectable.

    Stat is not great with the defensive footwork and rotations, but can block shots. I actually like Jerome Jordan defensively, and think he is under-rated offensively. I would have liked to see us land Dalembert, but Tyrus Thomas is still worth a look IMHO (or some other backup shot blocker). I am less sure about Jeremy Tyler and Earl Barron defensively, although they do provide us with some offensive options we lack otherwise. At worst whatever younger backup bigs we select, they still provide Chandler with some minutes on the bench.

    That means Chandler can play much more aggressively for fewer minutes which should make him more effective when he is on the floor.

  10. #10
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by nixon7
    Chandler was injured, played too many minutes per game, had too little team support, and could never afford to foul out of games, which made him too worn down and passive.

    I am expecting better team defense and considerably more backup for Chandler than last year.

    In particular, with Shumpert at the SG and MWP on the floor, I expect less switching on screens and fewer guards breaking us down, which will mean fewer rotations inside, and better interior defense overall as a result. Hardaway can also potentially help us in this regard as well.

    Team blocks last year ranged from 3.2 Miami to 6.9 Bobcats. The Knicks were at 4.0.

    Bargnani's defense improved last year, and might improve even more under Woodson. His best year in Toronto, he blocked 1.4 shots per game which is not terrible. I think with some focus and work, as well as a better system, he could get that closer to 2 per game. However, even if Chandler and Bargnani average only 1.5 blocks per game each , and Stat and Martin close to 1 each, and everyone else close to 1 total, that would mean somewhere in the realm of 5-6 blocks per game for the team, which is very respectable.

    Stat is not great with the defensive footwork and rotations, but can block shots. I actually like Jerome Jordan defensively, and think he is under-rated offensively. I would have liked to see us land Dalembert, but Tyrus Thomas is still worth a look IMHO (or some other backup shot blocker). I am less sure about Jeremy Tyler and Earl Barron defensively, although they do provide us with some offensive options we lack otherwise. At worst whatever younger backup bigs we select, they still provide Chandler with some minutes on the bench.

    That means Chandler can play much more aggressively for fewer minutes which should make him more effective when he is on the floor.

    Even with Chandler playing his best defense, probably is...Tyson is not a shot blocking center.

    So we will look to Martin and Bargnani to be our shot blockers?

    I don't know how comfortable I feel with that.

    OKC has Ibaka/Perkns

    Miami has Chris Anderson/Joel Anthony...even Wade, LeBron and Bosh get involved defensively with the interior defense.

    Nets have Brook Lopez and Garnett next to him

    Bulls have Joakim Noah/Taj Gibson

    Rockets have Dwight Howard and ASIK...jesus.

    Warriors have Andrew Bogut

    Clippers have DeAndre Jordan...Pistons have Andre Drummond

    even the Bucks have Larry Sanders...Hornets got Anthony Davis...I can go on and on, it seems like the Knicks will finish last in shot blocks this season.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,782
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    Even with Chandler playing his best defense, probably is...Tyson is not a shot blocking center.

    So we will look to Martin and Bargnani to be our shot blockers?

    I don't know how comfortable I feel with that.

    OKC has Ibaka/Perkns

    Miami has Chris Anderson/Joel Anthony...even Wade, LeBron and Bosh get involved defensively with the interior defense.

    Nets have Brook Lopez and Garnett next to him

    Bulls have Joakim Noah/Taj Gibson

    Rockets have Dwight Howard and ASIK...jesus.

    Warriors have Andrew Bogut

    Clippers have DeAndre Jordan...Pistons have Andre Drummond

    even the Bucks have Larry Sanders...Hornets got Anthony Davis...I can go on and on, it seems like the Knicks will finish last in shot blocks this season.

    Metro .... there is one thing u left out in this thread, "how many minutes will Melo play at the 4 spot per game?".
    Having Melo at the 4 spot for 30 minutes per game makes the Knicks an offensive team, with little to no-defense at all when we will add a no-defensive talent JR.smith to the rotation to average 30 minutes too.
    We will have several players in our main rotation lineup, who has never committed to team-defense in their NBA career at a consistent basis, this makes the best defensive players on the team look like ****T.


    C-Tyson Chandler gives us 28 solid minutes of low-post defense on a consistent basis.
    PF-Kenyon Martin gives us 28 solid minutes of low-post defense on a consistent basis.
    SF-Meta World Peace gives us 28 solid minutes of defense on the perimeter, man to man, and low post.
    SG-Iman Shump gives us 30 solid minutes of perimeter & man to man defense.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Smithtown
    Posts
    239
    Rep Power
    3

    Default

    Originally Posted by dasilva1079
    Totally agree, although will not address our major weaknesses, they still make us better. I also believe Barganani will be great for us and i'll put money on it that he will produce more than camby and novak combined last year. Defense didn't improve alot with the additions but still improved. And yeah stat is not a great defender but from what i remember he was still blocking more shots than chandler. Man i'll be happy to see Stat give us some minutes, no matter how many, will still be another upgrade to the team which we didn't have last year.
    Nobody plays defense during the regular season except in the fourth quarter of tight games. In that regard the Knicks did play shut down D when they had too. This Knicks team is much better than last years even healthy...Sheed, Camby , Thomas were liabilities over a long season as Pierce and Garnett will be for the NETS. We need to develop Hardaway Jr. and Tyler as well as C.J as that's the future with Shumpert, Melo and Felton....

  13. #13
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Metro .... there is one thing u left out in this thread, "how many minutes will Melo play at the 4 spot per game?".
    Having Melo at the 4 spot for 30 minutes per game makes the Knicks an offensive team, with little to no-defense at all when we will add a no-defensive talent JR.smith to the rotation to average 30 minutes too.
    We will have several players in our main rotation lineup, who has never committed to team-defense in their NBA career at a consistent basis, this makes the best defensive players on the team look like ****T.


    C-Tyson Chandler gives us 28 solid minutes of low-post defense on a consistent basis.
    PF-Kenyon Martin gives us 28 solid minutes of low-post defense on a consistent basis.
    SF-Meta World Peace gives us 28 solid minutes of defense on the perimeter, man to man, and low post.
    SG-Iman Shump gives us 30 solid minutes of perimeter & man to man defense.

    With the core of Shump, Peace, Martin and Chandler anchoring the defense...I can feel confident that Knicks will be top 5 defensively. I just hope Felton has a strong season defensively.

  14. #14
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    6,782
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    With the core of Shump, Peace, Martin and Chandler anchoring the defense...I can feel confident that Knicks will be top 5 defensively. I just hope Felton has a strong season defensively.

    Having a strong veteran defensive core of "Tyson, K-Mart, MWP, and Beno" on the roster to enhance the defensive skillz of Pablo/Shump/Hardaway/and Tyler automatically makes us a winning .500 plus team, if HC Woody starts the season off with a defensive-mind set.

  15. #15
    Member 21 Shump Street's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    402
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    Having a strong veteran defensive core of "Tyson, K-Mart, MWP, and Beno" on the roster to enhance the defensive skillz of Pablo/Shump/Hardaway/and Tyler automatically makes us a winning .500 plus team, if HC Woody starts the season off with a defensive-mind set.
    Beno is hardly anything above an 'okay' defender and has been constantly flamed for his ability to get beat by his man, do agree with you on all other points though.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: Feb 21, 2013, 09:46
  2. Amare cleared to play 30 minutes
    By smokes in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Jan 22, 2013, 18:15
  3. Tyson Chandler playing through fractured hand
    By smokes in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Apr 07, 2012, 03:25
  4. Tyson Chandler playing through...
    By BachaCho in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Feb 29, 2012, 06:11
  5. D'antoni needs to monitor Tyson's minutes or....
    By CoolRunnings in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Feb 11, 2012, 15:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •