Thread: ESPN picks Knicks to finish 5th in East

Lightbulb ESPN picks Knicks to finish 5th in East

ESPN asked 215 people who contribute to the network's NBA coverage to predict the records for Eastern Conference teams in 2013-14.

The outlook for the Knicks? ESPN's panel believes New York will take a step back this coming season.

The panel predicted that the Knicks will win 48 games -- six fewer than last year -- and will finish fifth in the conference.

New York finished second in the East last season and won the Atlantic Division title for the first time since 1994. The Knicks also won a first-round playoff series for the first time since 2000.

The prediction doesn't necessarily reflect a belief that the Knicks have gotten worse. The team may well have improved this summer by adding Andrea Bargnani, Metta World Peace and Beno Udrih.

But teams such as Chicago (Derrick Rose), Indiana (Luis Scola) and Brooklyn (Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce) will welcome new faces next season that may push them ahead of the Knicks.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

the way to change their word/mind/opinion is one

as many fans can dream for now but personally i want this to make happen

to beat da heat @ MSG same way which Dallas beat Lakers in game 3 2011 magic year by Dallas

as Kobe said they were hitting 3 after 3 after 3 after 3.It was devastation

so if Heat and Spurs could score one devastation Knicks can do same thing to Heat

Knicks done devastation also to Jordan's Bulls during their all time record 96 season 72-10 they simply blew out Bulls by 32.

personaly dont care what ESPN says bout Knicks their world is heat nothing more but i dont know besides Knicks which team they hate also.

The truth is that no one knows anything until we get to training camp and the season.

There are seven new players on this team. Players often take large steps forward or backwards when joining new teams, especially young developing players, but also veterans who have new roles and expectations in the new system.

Three of the eight returning players did not play for a majority of last season (Amar'e, KMart, and Shumpert) and therefore were not a part of the predominant style of play used last year. KMart was principally used as a backup center last year and will likely see all his time at forward this year. Shumpert was used primarily at small forward last year and will likely be the starting SG this year. The difference between Amar'e for one month and Amar'e for six months of the season will be a huge X-factor.

Prigioni will be in his second year with the team and with the NBA. He could play worse (age) or dramatically better (experience, chemistry, clearer understanding of his role). Chandler was clearly hurt and ineffective at the end last season. Will he have a major bounce back year (better team support) or be slowly on the decline? JR Smith played very well and then collapsed at the end of the year. It turns out he was playing on one knee at the end of last year and just had major surgery. Will he come back even better than last year, or take several steps backwards?

That leaves only two rotation players whom we more or less know what to expect from (Melo and Felton).

Basic questions such as style of play and depth of rotation are not only unanswered but possibly not even decided yet by the coaching staff.

Team chemistry, effort, focus, commitment, communication, and leadership are still to be determined.

Yet somehow the experts at ESPN know that the Knicks are going to win 6 fewer games this season than last season? Please.

The reality is that the Knicks could plausibly win anywhere between 30 to 60 games next year, and no expert can really predict better than that.

I predict 51 wins this year, as more teams are becoming more balanced teams (Wiz, Pistons, Cavs etc) ....

Superstar

We'll see about that

Superstar

And they had us 6th last year. Behind heat, celtics, net, pacers, sixers haha. I got us second

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran

Actually I think ESPN's predictions last year were pretty accurate. Pity the poor Nets, paying 87M in luxury tax and mortgaging your future away and you're predicted to come in 4th in the conference is a fail.

Superstar

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Actually I think ESPN's predictions last year were pretty accurate. Pity the poor Nets, paying 87M in luxury tax and mortgaging your future away and you're predicted to come in 4th in the conference is a fail.

Good link but this shows you can't get caught up into them. They look at the previous years team and base it off that. Pacers at 8tghPredictions never factor in natural player development. They never thought p George would break out like that and they aren't expecting shump to breakout. Well I am

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Knicks finish anywhere from 3-5.

I don't see them playing better than Indiana or Miami, who are the top 2 teams.

The fact that Indiana has Granger/Scola coming off the bench makes them very scary and deep. Did we forget Copeland?

Somethings Indiana's offense wasn't that strong and struggle because George and Hibbert are STREAKY scorers.
    With Granger/Copeland/Scola coming in, it makes their scoring a lot better.

The development of Paul George who I envy his skill set (6"10 that can pass, rebound, shoot, elite athleticism, handles, toughness) and is now working on his midrange game. I can't believe we may see the day that Paul George becomes a top 10 player.

If Indiana is serious about a title, they should try to package George Hill/Danny Granger for an elite level PG. (maybe Rondo?)

Superstar

Exactly where I have them finishing

Superstar

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Knicks finish anywhere from 3-5.

I don't see them playing better than Indiana or Miami, who are the top 2 teams.

The fact that Indiana has Granger/Scola coming off the bench makes them very scary and deep. Did we forget Copeland?

Somethings Indiana's offense wasn't that strong and struggle because George and Hibbert are STREAKY scorers.
    With Granger/Copeland/Scola coming in, it makes their scoring a lot better.

The development of Paul George who I envy his skill set (6"10 that can pass, rebound, shoot, elite athleticism, handles, toughness) and is now working on his midrange game. I can't believe we may see the day that Paul George becomes a top 10 player.

If Indiana is serious about a title, they should try to package George Hill/Danny Granger for an elite level PG. (maybe Rondo?)

I was referring to Paul George as the 3rd best small forward in the league end of December last year and was getting laughed at by some Knick fans. He has Lebron James skillsets, just not as strong/dynamic/cerebral yet but he's rapidly closing gaps on fools.

Indy is only team in east that can really compete with da heat

since last year Indy are totaly focused how to stop heat. Thats why they scoring some downs to loosing teams like 76ers.

Knicks have to find clue how to beat Bulls i dont remember when Knicks won last time @ UC

time will show everything and woodson now MUST use entire roster not limit to just 3 subs per game.
    limitation 2 20 mins with STAT opens spot for bench.

i am counting alot for Udrih & Shump Andrea too.

JR who already scored pay [9mln $ already on his account] will b playing with pressure.

espn rankings are stupid. they create this stuff so they can bring their "experts" on first take and break it down and skip and stephen a can scream and yell about it.