Official Andrea Bargnani (aka Bargnana, the Italian Banana) Thread

CoolClyde

<Andrea Bargnani (pneumonia) will not participate in the Eurobasket tournament.

The event doesn't start until September 4, so it's a little disheartening that He has been ruled out two weeks prior to that. This has been one of the strangest stories of the offseason and Bargnani can be considered questionable for training camp. Toughness and an ability to play through pain has never been one of the Italian's strong-suits.>

http://www.sportando.net/eng/nation...rgnani-won-t-play-eurobasket-in-slovenia.html

question: why is he called II Mago? as in Mr. Magoo?

opinion seems to be split amongst KO posters as to whether Bargnana will be an asset to #Knickstape,
or just another C-level player. I am amongst the positive opines, believing that a change of atmosphere
will lead to a return to his former glory of 15-17 ppg and other intangibles he brings to the team as a
7-footer who can spread the floor and hit 3's.

I'd like to point out a couple of KO threads, where members spoke highly of the Italian Banana:
(2010) Bargnani is better than Gallo:
http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/...gnani-is-better-than-Gallo&highlight=bargnani

and
(2013 pre-trade) Stoudemire for Bargnani
http://www.knicksonline.com/forums/showthread.php?13859-STOUDEMRE-for-BARGNANI&highlight=bargnani

however, this news of his bout with pneumonia brings with it a harbinger of ill portent. Does this have anything to do with his overall health or constitution? is this a lingering condition associated with past woes?

or is this just a nasty cold that shouldn't have anything to do with his prowess as a potent player?

Let's just hope he takes care of himself, and gets well for NYK training camp.
Fu*ck the Eurobasket tournament.:2cents:

Broadway

All Star
If he gives us 12/4 I'll be mildly surprised. Out of all the reclamation projects let's hope his is more Sprewell like and not Lee Nailon like.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
If he gives us 12/4 I'll be mildly surprised. Out of all the reclamation projects let's hope his is more Sprewell like and not Lee Nailon like.

I'll say he is gonna average at last 15 points book it

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

orangeblobman

Rotation player
bargnanana

he's gonna come back, drop the buckets, bring the old swag back,

i see him reaching something like 75-85% of his peak

tiger0330

Legend
Don't like that he got pneumonia in the middle of the summer, plus he's going to miss out on pre-training camp in Greenburgh.

I am a skeptic about the guy and this latest "injury" does not dispel my skepticism.

you guys need to watch his 2010 play. He was half decent and at least an effective center. hopefully u get him this season.

bigapple

Starter
he was playing only for Toroto short time there was no talented players like in Knicks there wasnt some1 like MELO who can scre 25+ in each game so in NY there will be alot easier to score to pass to drive.............

tiger0330

Legend
Article from CBS Sports about Bargnani vs. Novak.

When the Knicks traded for Andrea Bargnani, a lot of us ****ed our heads. It didn't make much sense, to be perfectly honest. A non-defender, non-rebounding big man that focuses on offense and wants to stretch the floor but has struggled with his shot? Is there anything that is less of what they need?
Our offseason report was pretty much one big head-scratch. It's not necessarily bad. It's just weird.
So trying to figure out how Bargnani will fit in is kind of difficult. Knicks blog KnickerBlogger took a swing at it and the idea is something we've touched on, but it's still kind of interesting to explore.
And that's the Novak problem, in a nutshell. The inherent spacing value his shooting brings is undermined by his inability to capitalize on overzealous closeouts. Defenses know this, and actively run him off the three-point line with full sprint closeouts and without consequence. And because they're running at top speed, they can stretch their coverage distance. The result is more help on the strong side, reducing the threat of a, say, Carmelo Anthony drive. Novak's essential spacing purpose is rendered moot.
Enter Andrea Bargnani. Say what you will about his offensive repertoire, but at the very least he's fully capable of punishing defenders who rush towards him too quickly.
Because he's more than a spot-up shooter, defenders play him differently -- or at least treat him as a viable threat in other offensive functions besides standstill shooting. That's what Louis Scola does here, trying (and failing) to close out with choppy steps to prevent a drive.
And the benefit of this defensive technique is two-fold: First, that Bargnani -- should he receive the ball on a swing or kick out -- will actually have room to shoot, with defenders closing out more cautiously. And second, that Bargnani can actually, well, drive the ball to the basket and make something happen.

Novak essentially had to be removed from the equation for the Knicks in the playoffs, playing just 5.6 minutes per game due to his defensive liabilities once it was clear teams had figured out how to scheme him on the other end.
But is $23 million over two years too much for a Steve Novak upgrade? Sounds obvious, right?
Except that if you're a title contender without any sort of concern for price, you overpay for role players. The Clippers have shelled out money over the past three years to get Chris Paul weapons to use. The Heat have tossed whatever they can scrape together to get shooters and defenders. You're not looking for major upgrades if you're already a title contender. You want to find that component that makes the engine just the extra little bit faster and more efficient enough to win the title.
This is about as close as I think I'm going to get to "Why the Knickst traded for Andrea Bargnani without going to "they thought his hair looked good" or waiting for him to become an All-Star this season.

Kiyaman

Legend
Is Bargani earning 5 X his worth each season? $10M per
Is Bargani considered soft as butter as a bigman in the NBA?

Seven seasons in the NBA averaging 15 pts, 1 ast, 5 rb, 43% fg shooting, in 30 minutes per game.

petescud

Starter
I'm hoping he just wanted out of Toronto, and figured if he played like crap, they'd trade him. I liked his offensive game a few years back. Before Derosen, he was their main weapon on offense.

The Barg's trade has being hammered out but as iam new around here id just like to weigh in and say that this is a fresh start for him while there is zero pressure to be a star he can just come in and hit open shots which we all know he can do.

Teams will have to focus so much on Melo, JR, Amare, Ray driving and hopefully more of Shumpert this season which means Not everyone can be guarded so i think this is where Barg comes in through the shadows and quietly fill up the scoring column.

Kiyaman

Legend
O.K. lets throw some FACTS up .. we gave up three times the talent for less money than Bargani worth .. Novak premeter shooting was a easy trade to half the teams in the league at $4M, Camby's bigman services plus veteranship service on the bench/practice/lockerroom for any young bigman team in the league was an easy trade at $4.5M this offseason. Q.Brick was a FA.

Novak is dangerous as ex-player Steve Kerr with a wide-screen from Tyson, or a quick-screen from Jared Jefferies (Kerr had Rodman, Duncan, and Malik Rose screen for him to shoot 50% from 3-ball line.), when teammate screens like that any HC would give Novak 7 to 12 shots per game from the 3 ball line in just 24 minutes.
Novak did well shooting 43% from the 3-ball line without any screens during the 2012-13 season (all Knicks screens and picks were set for Melo & JR, none for Novak or a slashing Felton.). Novak's catch n shoot got quicker, and may burn us in the season.

Bargani has 7 seasons in the league, Bargani's past 5 seasons with Toronto the team stayed under .500 record each season.
Bargani's first two seasons with Toronto, starting PG TJ-Ford lead C-Rasho & PF-Bosh to .500 & above record seasons.
In Bargani's 7 yr career the topic of BUST came up more than being a contribution player on the Toronto Rapters.

Kidd Karma

Benchwarmer
He's a floor stretcher, gives Melo room to operate on the block or slashing to the hole. When JR disappeared, it became obvious, Melo still needed another shooter on the floor. I think between Chandler and Iman, they will be able to mask Bargnani's defense.