Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Roy Hibbert will dominate Tyson this season

Veteran

Originally Posted by ronoranina
    He does look fit to stomp a mud hole in centers across the league.

Tyson when healthy can handle anyone down low.

I agree w Kiya that we got out hustled and muscled by the whole Pacers front court. Woody shoulda made adjustments sooner in the series. Not having a plan to implement and involve our bigmen properly was one factor that cost us the series. Tyson being injured obviously was problematic as well.
    Tyson didn't do well against Yao in his career and Hibbert at 7'2" and what looks to be 285-300 lbs. now is as close as you come to the size of Yao these days. So far Tyson has played better than Hibbert in their head to head match ups but it will be interesting to compare their stats this season to see if the added bulk and practice this off-season gives Hibbert the advantage. Here are Yao's, Hibbert's and Tyson's head to head stats in their games over their careers.
    Player G W L GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 13 7 6 13 31.0 7.7 14.1 .546 0.0 0.2 .000 4.6 5.6 .822 1.6 6.9 8.5 1.3 0.2 1.1 2.2 3.5 20.0
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 13 6 7 10 28.9 3.3 7.2 .462 0.0 0.1 .000 2.5 4.8 .532 3.3 6.2 9.5 0.9 0.4 0.9 1.4 3.5 9.2
    Player G W L GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 10 6 4 10 21.7 4.2 8.7 .483 0.0 0.0 1.7 2.3 .739 2.2 3.3 5.5 1.2 0.2 1.2 1.5 3.7 10.1
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] 10 4 6 9 30.5 3.6 7.0 .514 0.0 0.0 3.8 5.4 .704 4.3 5.5 9.8 0.5 0.6 1.8 1.2 2.6 11.0

Prediction: Hibbert will be banned from basketball for using PEDs.

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Funny you should mention MMA, the dude standing in front of Hibbert with his fist clenched is a boxer and Tim Duncan's trainer.

Not sure if Hibbert used Duncan's trainer to get so jacked but there is a noticable difference in his muscle mass from the end of the season to now. Just when you need Metro he's not around, he could comment on Hibbert's training regimen.
    Hibbert also looks heavier....he doesnt look lean just bigger and he's not the quickest player to begin with

But who's been the biggest, strongest player in The NBA for the past 5 years...Dwight and Tyson D's him up well. And Hibbert does not have the athletic ability of Dwight!

Hibbert benefited from a less than 100% Tyson and a smaller Knick lineup in the playoffs! Don't get me wrong Hibbert is a All Star Caliber Center...but man some of yall are talking like he's the next Wilt!

Here's the facts...dude only shot better than .500 in one round of the playoffs and that was against Miami and their paper thin front court! He put up 13 10 rebs and 3 blks against us and that is impressive but his shooting pct sucks for a low post player (.468).

Ok he got bigger and will be more of a presence...but he will be slower too...slower to rotate...slower off the ground! This aint our fathers NBA fellas big men now shoot deep jumpers and 3's as well as playing above the rim

I leave you with this

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

the very fact that this thread exists is total conjecture based upon the fact that Hibbert played well in the playoffs, and Chandler was still injured from a neck injury and more. just because Hibbert is bigger now, and has put on muscle and poundage means he's going to dominate? a healthy Chandler plays well against anyone, and if Knicks have more than 1 defensive/rebounding personality in the paint, I wouldn't sweat it, and surely wouldn't create an entire thread based on an opinion that puts down the NYK.

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    the very fact that this thread exists is total conjecture based upon the fact that Hibbert played well in the playoffs, and Chandler was still injured from a neck injury and more. just because Hibbert is bigger now, and has put on muscle and poundage means he's going to dominate? a healthy Chandler plays well against anyone, and if Knicks have more than 1 defensive/rebounding personality in the paint, I wouldn't sweat it, and surely wouldn't create an entire thread based on an opinion that puts down the NYK.
    There is WAY too much Tyson Chandler hate on this site. He's so heavily relied upon to be the focal on the glass and in the lane for the Knicks, he is by far our best pick setter and roller which adds more so to the physicality of the game he plays. We rely on him defensively so much, I'd say it's equal to what we rely on from Melo offensively in terms of being the guy.

For the second straight year last season, Tyson went in to the playoffs under 100%. This year I believe he was worse than last.

And there are f*ckwits here yelling trade!? Give some credit where it's due, and don't begrudge someone for their shortcomings when they, Tyson, were often times the only person fighting up to as many as 3 Pacers for a rebound off another of our maniacal ISO misses.

If we're prepared to make excuses for others after the 2nd round, why can't Chandler be afforded any? Get the man a reliable, hardy backup and judge him when the timing is fair.

Superstar

Tyson is getting worse every year and Hibbert is only getting better. The chances of him dominating Chandler next year are very high.

All that weight gain will come back to haunt Hibbert. If he was playing fine last year and so dominate why more mass??? Didn't Amare put on more muscle as Knick?? Worked out great for him, huh??? I saw a MMA reference here..... Anybody who follows the sport knows more mass is not always a plus. Your body has to work extra hard to feed that muscle. No MMA elite is a raging muscle packed dude. Don't believe me?? Research.

Superstar

He doesn't look any bigger to me just more defined and his conditioning is probably a lot better. Defending him is gonna be a nightmare for us.

Superstar

Call me a twitwit then because we don't need him to win. Melo missed time we struggled, Felton missed time we struggled. Chandler missed time we flourished. He doesn't contest shots he doesn't box he can't score, gets horsed(not just in the playoffs) in the regular season too. It was just easily over looked because we were winning. His production can easily be replaced. In fact all he's good for is the tip out that counts as an offensive rebound to give us second chance opportunities well on an offense that was 3rd in efficiency there aren't that many second chance opportunities needed therefore his greatest strength is our least needed thing. He frauded us.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    Call me a twitwit then because we don't need him to win. Melo missed time we struggled, Felton missed time we struggled. Chandler missed time we flourished. He doesn't contest shots he doesn't box he can't score, gets horsed(not just in the playoffs) in the regular season too. It was just easily over looked because we were winning. His production can easily be replaced. In fact all he's good for is the tip out that counts as an offensive rebound to give us second chance opportunities well on an offense that was 3rd in efficiency there aren't that many second chance opportunities needed therefore his greatest strength is our least needed thing. He frauded us.

I'm gonna try and be nice here in the face of sheer ignorance..

Dude Tyson IS the focal point of our defense. He doesn't always get the block, but Tyson is very good at challenging/ changing shots. He has an awesome presence that can be duplicated by few players in the league. Plus he rebounds in double digits. He IS one of the best rebounders on the league, easily.

Alot of what you and others reference regarding him looking bad against Indiana is due IMO to him not being healthy and a strategy of us playing small alot of times in the face of a quality bigman rotation.

Basically Tyson had too much to worry about against Indy. How do you guard Hibbert properly while also having to worry bout Melo's man cleaning (whether he was guarding the four or the three, George killed us on the glass too) the glass on a miss? Or how do you front Hibbert or come out to the foul line against him, when you have to rotate back to close down the paint because Felton and Prigs can't stay in front of Hill or Stevenson? Tyson could only do so much. Factor in the fact he wasn't right injury-wise an you have some issues to consider.

You're just looking at Tyson and not seeing other factors on the court that were impacting the game for him defensively regarding his responsibility in the face of increasing needs.

Veteran

I gave Tyson credit in his head to head stats with Hibbert, TC so far has gotten the better of their matchup but this is Chandler's 13 year in the league. No one gets better after 12 years in the league and most have noticeable fall offs.

I just admired Hibbert for all the work he put into the weight room and statements like "you don't get better by playing with scrubs" when asked about practicing with Duncan, Splitter and Mahnini as to a reason Hibbert will best Chandler in the coming years. Hibbert still has a lot to prove but his upside is there, Chandler's is not.

Veteran

Originally Posted by CoolClyde
    Oh give me a break, lighten up dude this is the summer. FYI, this is what makes the front page on CBS in the off-season.

Dude Tyson IS the focal point of our defense. He doesn't always get the block, but Tyson is very good at challenging/ changing shots. He has an awesome presence that can be duplicated by few players in the league. Plus he rebounds in double digits. He IS one of the best rebounders on the league, easily.

Alot of what you and others reference regarding him looking bad against Indiana is due IMO to him not being healthy and a strategy of us playing small alot of times in the face of a quality bigman rotation.

Basically Tyson had too much to worry about against Indy. How do you guard Hibbert properly while also having to worry bout Melo's man cleaning (whether he was guarding the four or the three, George killed us on the glass too) the glass on a miss? Or how do you front Hibbert or come out to the foul line against him, when you have to rotate back to close down the paint because Felton and Prigs can't stay in front of Hill or Stevenson? Tyson could only do so much. Factor in the fact he wasn't right injury-wise an you have some issues to consider.

You're just looking at Tyson and not seeing other factors on the court that were impacting the game for him defensively regarding his responsibility in the face of increasing needs.

Bingo!!!!

Dallas would gladly trade any player not named Dirk for Tyson

Gregg Popovich,Tommy Tibbs and Doc Rivers (the 3 best coaches in NBA) would cry tears oof joy to have Tyson anchoring their Dyet we got posters wanting to trade him because while being sick and coming off an injury he didn't play so well

Superstar

Tyson chandler doesn't challenge shots, how many times last year was someone going in for the layup and he dodges out of the way?with and without foul trouble. No Tyson chandler and we still get to the second round last. If he was so important to us how come we flourished without him when we went down. If he was really that good then it's no way a 36 year old sitting on the couch for a half a season and do exactly what he did. That proves he is replaceable. If he is the center of our defense then we are in trouble. Our guards got beat so bad of the dribble last year, his job is to help. But he's a horrible help defender so he's useless to greatest weakness and useless because of our greatest strength as I mentioned in my previous post.

Superstar

Originally Posted by New New York
    Bingo!!!!

Dallas would gladly trade any player not named Dirk for Tyson

Gregg Popovich,Tommy Tibbs and Doc Rivers (the 3 best coaches in NBA) would cry tears oof joy to have Tyson anchoring their Dyet we got posters wanting to trade him because while being sick and coming off an injury he didn't play so well
    Dumb post. If those coaches would scream oof, well the spurs would put him across from Duncan would do basically everything he doesn't do. And no thibs would not have that same approach because he has noah who's waaaaaay better then t.c. him and Jerome Jordan are the same player with different levels of experience. That statement has no weight as the teams you picked have the worst starting centers in the league. Tiago splitter and deandre. Who wouldn't want tyson chandler over them.