Roy Hibbert will dominate Tyson this season

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger0330

Legend
Hibbert is swolled up and it ain't PhotoShop according to his coach Frank Vogel. Have to respect him more than TC for putting the work in, can't even get Chandler to go to Hakeems camp because he thinks he has nothing to learn from the Dream.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...ier-roy-hibbert-looks-to-be-physical-presence

After signing a four-year, $58 million contract in the summer of 2012, Roy Hibbert struggled coming out of the gate for the Indiana Pacers. In the first month of the season, Hibbert made only 38.4 percent of his shots in 16 games. That number slowly improved throughout the season, some feel because a wrist injury that stopped bothering him as much, and by the time the playoffs came around, Hibbert was looking to show a dominant presence in the paint for a Pacers' team with lofty goals of taking down the Miami Heat.
Perhaps a taste of being a dominant presence inside against the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference finals is what's motivated him to become even more of a giant than he already is. After posting a photo on Instagram that made him look to be Gheorghe Muresan's size, everybody has taken notice of the bulkier version of Hibbert, even his coach Frank Vogel. From Pacers.com:
?I think he's got some photographers from Men's Fitness on there doctoring them up or something because he looks pretty big in those pictures, doesn't he? Naw, I'm just kidding. I saw him yesterday in my office. He's really bulking up and really excited about just being even more of a physical presence, especially on the offensive end ? really pounding defenders down low and playing our identify of smash-mouth basketball.?​
Hibbert was a monster against the Heat in the ECF when he averaged 17.0 points and 9.9 rebounds. He made 51.1 percent of his field goals and nearly doubled his per game free throw attempts (2.8 to 5.4). The Heat went small against Hibbert, hoping to use their quickness and team defense to make up for the lack of size and create mismatches on the other end. It ended up working with the Heat winning in seven games before winning their second straight title, but I'm sure the feeling of pushing people around and dominating with size and power was inspirational for Hibbert.

He's improved in nearly every season of his career since joining the league. Although his offense struggled in the early parts of last season, he didn't let it affect him from leading the top defense in the NBA by being a great paint protector, allowing his teammates to defend more aggressively in front of him. If he can keep that defensive presence while adding a powerful post game to play the type of bully ball that his teammate David West shows on a nightly basis, this could be a huge year for Hibbert -- both in impact and physical appearance.

c8WX4RN.jpg

petescud

Starter
Hibberts a beast, no doubt. Look at the arms/legs on the guy. Wouldn't he manhandle anyone other then D12. Chandler is a good center, but he's not in their league. Move on with the comparisons

Hibberts a beast, no doubt. Look at the arms/legs on the guy. Wouldn't he manhandle anyone other then D12. Chandler is a good center, but he's not in their league. Move on with the comparisons

Tis is why we got bargnani.

Believe it or not. Playing him at center completely takes hibbert out of the game. Same as bosh did in the playoffs where vogel had to bench him in the fourth quarters because Miami went small. How can you keep hibbert on the floor in the fourth quarter of a close game with our center standing 25 feet out leaving the paint open like the red sea. And unlike bosh. You have to guard bargnani out there or hell hit 5+ threes a game if he's open all day. This was the x factor smart move that championship teams make in the offseasoneven if bargs doesn't light it up this year. Just his presence spreads the floor and takes the Pacers biggest advantage out of the game. Big arms and big legs can't stop a t.
Three pointer.

New New York

Quiet Storm
Are they gonna be doing MMA on the court?

Hibbert got off on us in the series mostly due to our Zone D

one on one Tyson played him much better than people realize but the numbers were so lopsided it looked like dominance

If we go MWP in starting 5 (meaning we can play man) and Tyson plays him straight up Hibbert averages no more than 13 ppg

Tyson struggles against bigs who can stretch the floor w Jumpers and put the ball on the floor...back to the basket dudes Tyson can handle any of them excluding no one!!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Funny you should mention MMA, the dude standing in front of Hibbert with his fist clenched is a boxer and Tim Duncan's trainer.

Not sure if Hibbert used Duncan's trainer to get so jacked but there is a noticable difference in his muscle mass from the end of the season to now. Just when you need Metro he's not around, he could comment on Hibbert's training regimen.

petescud

Starter
He def looks 7'5 ish....Isn't Duncan 7', and he looks like 5" shorter...on a side note, i think our team performs on the same level or better then last year, even with the team upgrades....Go KNicks

bigapple

Starter
imagine that Knicks can have some1 like Hibbert that can shot can have close playing style like Howard can block can shot FT.

btw Bargniani can shot 3 too. Some europeans are better than CHanlder :teeth:

Kiyaman

Legend
And HC Woody gets a PASS

Stop putting Hibbert above Tyson .. they both are equally dominant

In the Indiana series ....
Pacers HC Vogel played 2 centers, and 3 PF in thier rotation ....
We-Knicks played 5 guards, 1 SF, 1 PF, and 1 center in our rotation throughout the series ....

The top question Knicks-fans should be asking other Knicks-fans during the offseason:
Why did Headcoach Woodson DNP a healthy Camby & Amare during the Indiana Pacers series?
Especially after Kurt Thomas & Rasheed Wallace bowed-out of the postseason games.
Did it occur to anyone that we used the same exact strategy, tactics, and same rotation of players in the Pacers series as we did in the Celtics series .. as if HC Woody didnt see the difference between the two teams...

Rob Low

Rotation player
Tyson's not on Hibbert's level. Not only does Hibbert have more heart but he's better on offense and defense.

petescud

Starter
The top question Knicks-fans should be asking other Knicks-fans during the offseason:
Why did Headcoach Woodson DNP a healthy Camby & Amare during the Indiana Pacers series?
Especially after Kurt Thomas & Rasheed Wallace bowed-out of the postseason games.
Did it occur to anyone that we used the same exact strategy, tactics, and same rotation of players in the Pacers series as we did in the Celtics series .. as if HC Woody didnt see the difference between the two teams...

Rarely do i agree with you. Though this time you hit the nail on the head. I too thought that Indy didn't beat us. We beat us. Playing the same BS way every night and not playing healthy bigs, even for 5 min a half. I really didn't see Indy as the better team. Our coaching was terrible that series and Woody needs to make adjustments better this year

ronoranina

Fundamentally Sound
He does look fit to stomp a mud hole in centers across the league.

Tyson when healthy can handle anyone down low.

I agree w Kiya that we got out hustled and muscled by the whole Pacers front court. Woody shoulda made adjustments sooner in the series. Not having a plan to implement and involve our bigmen properly was one factor that cost us the series. Tyson being injured obviously was problematic as well.

tiger0330

Legend
He does look fit to stomp a mud hole in centers across the league.

Tyson when healthy can handle anyone down low.

I agree w Kiya that we got out hustled and muscled by the whole Pacers front court. Woody shoulda made adjustments sooner in the series. Not having a plan to implement and involve our bigmen properly was one factor that cost us the series. Tyson being injured obviously was problematic as well.
Tyson didn't do well against Yao in his career and Hibbert at 7'2" and what looks to be 285-300 lbs. now is as close as you come to the size of Yao these days. So far Tyson has played better than Hibbert in their head to head match ups but it will be interesting to compare their stats this season to see if the added bulk and practice this off-season gives Hibbert the advantage. Here are Yao's, Hibbert's and Tyson's head to head stats in their games over their careers.
PlayerGWLGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Yao Ming13761331.07.714.1.5460.00.2.0004.65.6.8221.66.98.51.30.21.12.23.520.0
Tyson Chandler13671028.93.37.2.4620.00.1.0002.54.8.5323.36.29.50.90.40.91.43.59.2
PlayerGWLGSMPFGFGAFG%3P3PA3P%FTFTAFT%ORBDRBTRBASTSTLBLKTOVPFPTS
Roy Hibbert10641021.74.28.7.4830.00.01.72.3.7392.23.35.51.20.21.21.53.710.1
Tyson Chandler1046930.53.67.0.5140.00.03.85.4.7044.35.59.80.50.61.81.22.611.0

New New York

Quiet Storm
Funny you should mention MMA, the dude standing in front of Hibbert with his fist clenched is a boxer and Tim Duncan's trainer.

Not sure if Hibbert used Duncan's trainer to get so jacked but there is a noticable difference in his muscle mass from the end of the season to now. Just when you need Metro he's not around, he could comment on Hibbert's training regimen.

Hibbert also looks heavier....he doesnt look lean just bigger and he's not the quickest player to begin with

But who's been the biggest, strongest player in The NBA for the past 5 years...Dwight and Tyson D's him up well. And Hibbert does not have the athletic ability of Dwight!

Hibbert benefited from a less than 100% Tyson and a smaller Knick lineup in the playoffs! Don't get me wrong Hibbert is a All Star Caliber Center...but man some of yall are talking like he's the next Wilt!

Here's the facts...dude only shot better than .500 in one round of the playoffs and that was against Miami and their paper thin front court! He put up 13 10 rebs and 3 blks against us and that is impressive but his shooting pct sucks for a low post player (.468).

Ok he got bigger and will be more of a presence...but he will be slower too...slower to rotate...slower off the ground! This aint our fathers NBA fellas big men now shoot deep jumpers and 3's as well as playing above the rim

I leave you with this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsjBV9kO2ls

CoolClyde

the very fact that this thread exists is total conjecture based upon the fact that Hibbert played well in the playoffs, and Chandler was still injured from a neck injury and more. just because Hibbert is bigger now, and has put on muscle and poundage means he's going to dominate? a healthy Chandler plays well against anyone, and if Knicks have more than 1 defensive/rebounding personality in the paint, I wouldn't sweat it, and surely wouldn't create an entire thread based on an opinion that puts down the NYK.

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
the very fact that this thread exists is total conjecture based upon the fact that Hibbert played well in the playoffs, and Chandler was still injured from a neck injury and more. just because Hibbert is bigger now, and has put on muscle and poundage means he's going to dominate? a healthy Chandler plays well against anyone, and if Knicks have more than 1 defensive/rebounding personality in the paint, I wouldn't sweat it, and surely wouldn't create an entire thread based on an opinion that puts down the NYK.

There is WAY too much Tyson Chandler hate on this site. He's so heavily relied upon to be the focal on the glass and in the lane for the Knicks, he is by far our best pick setter and roller which adds more so to the physicality of the game he plays. We rely on him defensively so much, I'd say it's equal to what we rely on from Melo offensively in terms of being the guy.

For the second straight year last season, Tyson went in to the playoffs under 100%. This year I believe he was worse than last.

And there are f*ckwits here yelling trade!? Give some credit where it's due, and don't begrudge someone for their shortcomings when they, Tyson, were often times the only person fighting up to as many as 3 Pacers for a rebound off another of our maniacal ISO misses.

If we're prepared to make excuses for others after the 2nd round, why can't Chandler be afforded any? Get the man a reliable, hardy backup and judge him when the timing is fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.