Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: What do the Knicks do with the backup center position?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,791
    Rep Power
    15

    Default What do the Knicks do with the backup center position?

    Two other names I have heard in the mix for our backup center position are Hassan Whiteside and Jason Collins along with Hadaddi and Barron. What should the Knicks do? Stand pat or sign one of these 4 players. Rebounding has been a weakness and we could use a big that can provide that for the second unit.

    Collins despite his long career in the NBA is not a strong rebounder.

    Barron is a journeyman with low offensive efficiency but a decent rebounder.

    Whiteside is young and a 7 footer, has 12.6 RPG per 36 though in limited playing time

    Haddadi to my surprise had way better production than Collins and averaged 12.7 RPG per 36. Not sure what the problem is with him but he has bounced around a lot for a guy whose per 36 numbers look decent along with his size.

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,183
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    I thought 7.0 Bargani was going to be our backup center .... then again
    I thought Camby was going to be our backup center, till HC Woody put Camby in the starting lineup with Tyson
    I guess Woody is going to have both 7 footers Tyson & Bargani start this season.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,791
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Woody knows he can't play Bargnani at C and expect that the team is going to improve their rebounding. 7 footer that's averaged less that 5 rpg in his career, rebounding is one of his weaknesses that you have to cover for him.

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,183
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Woody knows he can't play Bargnani at C and expect that the team is going to improve their rebounding. 7 footer that's averaged less that 5 rpg in his career, rebounding is one of his weaknesses that you have to cover for him.
    We dont know if Bargani can perform as a PF?
    What if Bargani cant perform well at PF?
    The big question is what type of PF are HC Woodson looking for?
    I never like coinsidence like PF-Amare, PF-Rasheed, and PF-K.Thomas all being injured throughout the season so Melo could average 40 minutes per game at the PF spot.

    Amare is still one of the Top-3 PF in the NBA, injury-prone included.
    I'm a Knicks fan that knows that the Knicks medical-staff would not have put Amare down with multiple injuries if we didnt have Ball-Hogger ISO-Melo on the team the past 2 seasons.

    Recall in 1995-96 when we had PF-Anthony Mason start all 82 games as SF, plus taking PF-Oakley minutes too so we could run a 3 guard offense (Harper/Starks/Hubert) by HC Pat Riley, then next season HC Nelson, while our medical staff had PF-Charles Smith on the injury-list for half the season. Then HC Nelson was FIRED, and a week or two later Anthony Mason was traded for no-reason for a injured Larry Johnson who never played untill Oakley was traded in the 1998 offseason.
    Leaving the Knicks medical-staff forever in question with me

  5. #5
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    624
    Rep Power
    8

    Default

    Haha this dude can't be serious. So now the training staff if in on iso melo and they tell amare he's injured when he isn't. Haha, it's his body if we wasn't hurt he would be the one to know and wouldn't accept that. I guess they hypnotized him into thinking he was hurt. Kiya you live around ny I believe so if I'm wrong my bad but anyway you're probably a yankees fan to, like myself. And did u not see how they were trying to make it seem like arod was hurt when he wasn't and the whole story was out. Well then if this complete asinine story had some plausibility to it then it would have been leaked already. And what happened with arod they are forced to play him because he's owed all that money whether they want to or not. Why would amare accept a minute restriction if we knew he was healthy. The man has pride come on wwe kiya. Top 3pf still, smh. I wish but he's not that anymore and I'm ok with that. As long as he is there. He represents what being a knick is all about.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #6
    Fundamentally Sound ronoranina's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,758
    Rep Power
    11

    Default

    Bargnani is a stretch four. His acquisition should put Melo back at his natural position, at the 3.

    I'd like to see us start two 7 footers. I'd also like to see what Bargs can do with his length in combination with Chandler for us on the defensive end in Woodson's system.

    I think we should get Barron. The more 7 footers the better. He can rebound also. I always liked him actually.

  7. #7
    Veteran Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bronx
    Posts
    1,472
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Bargs hasn't touched the paint in three seasons. You would think a 7 footer with long arms like that would be a natural at Center, but there's no way it would work. I'm not sure who else is available, but what do you guys think of Jason Collins? He's been looking for a gig for awhile so I'm sure we could get him for the vet min. Ironically, he could be a good locker room presence

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,183
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    Haha this dude can't be serious. So now the training staff if in on iso melo and they tell amare he's injured when he isn't. Haha, it's his body if we wasn't hurt he would be the one to know and wouldn't accept that. I guess they hypnotized him into thinking he was hurt. Kiya you live around ny I believe so if I'm wrong my bad but anyway you're probably a yankees fan to, like myself. And did u not see how they were trying to make it seem like arod was hurt when he wasn't and the whole story was out. Well then if this complete asinine story had some plausibility to it then it would have been leaked already. And what happened with arod they are forced to play him because he's owed all that money whether they want to or not. Why would amare accept a minute restriction if we knew he was healthy. The man has pride come on wwe kiya. Top 3pf still, smh. I wish but he's not that anymore and I'm ok with that. As long as he is there. He represents what being a knick is all about.

    Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

    Good observation on the Yankees ....

    Im as serious as the Firing of GM Grunfield in 99, when a 11 seeded Knicks team went on a (month and a half) winning-streak run to become a 8th seeded playoff team at the end of the season .. especially when this same 11 seed to 8th seed team went all the way to the FINALS.

    GM Grunfield was a 100% right, and shouldve been rehired with a raise a couple of days before draft night, so we couldve drafted St Johns star player Meta World Peace LOL

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    7,183
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Originally Posted by Starks
    Bargs hasn't touched the paint in three seasons. You would think a 7 footer with long arms like that would be a natural at Center, but there's no way it would work. I'm not sure who else is available, but what do you guys think of Jason Collins? He's been looking for a gig for awhile so I'm sure we could get him for the vet min. Ironically, he could be a good locker room presence

    Jason Collins & Kenyon Martin hooking backup would be a great fit in a lineup with SF-Melo, SG-JR, and PG-Felton isolation plays.

  10. #10
    Member Fat Elvis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Inwood, NY
    Posts
    52
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Bargs is a SF in a center's body. Split the difference, and his most natural position is PF, though he's strictly a finesse guy. I like him in the starting lineup, where he can guard PF's, but still stretch the floor for 'Melo to post up inside on offense (and occasionally post up himself).

    Against most teams, Amar'e or Kenyon can man the PF/C positions off the bench, but for bigger teams, we need a legitimate 7-foot banger or we're exposed (as the Pacers series proved last year). That's why they picked up Jeremy Tyler, but I think they need one more guy as insurance, as most of our bigs are older/injury prone. Someone who can rebound and preferrably block a few shots, which I think is one of our biggest weaknesses right now. Hopefully Tyson's shot-blocking will return to levels of two seasons ago, as last year he was pretty mediocre.

    The only other position they might want to fill with the 15th roster spot is SF, but I'd prefer they start 'Melo at the SF, have Artest be the key SF off the bench, and play JR/Hardaway Jr/Leslie there if there are injuries. A big center is key

  11. #11
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    We should've tried to snag Fab Melo. He's a 7 footer that blocks shots which is what we need to backup Chandler.

  12. #12
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by ronoranina
    Bargnani is a stretch four. His acquisition should put Melo back at his natural position, at the 3.

    I'd like to see us start two 7 footers. I'd also like to see what Bargs can do with his length in combination with Chandler for us on the defensive end in Woodson's system.

    I think we should get Barron. The more 7 footers the better. He can rebound also. I always liked him actually.
    Haven't you been watching the NBA the last 7 years?

    Bargnani is a bad defender, he's average at post defense, but that was recently.

    He gets destroyed on the pick and roll.
    He doesn't box out.
    He doesn't defend the interior
    He doesn't block shots or help defense.
    He's not an intangibles or hustle player.

    If length was an advantage, Tim Thomas and Keith Van Horn would've been fantastic defenders for the Knicks.

    Being 7 foot doesn't make you good.
    Barron averages .5 blocks per 36 minutes. He's a 7 foot guy who's 32 years old...he rebounds at a 9 RPG game rate...it's okay, Haddadi would be a superior option.

  13. #13
    12th man
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono
    Posts
    11,260
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by knicksman20
    We should've tried to snag Fab Melo. He's a 7 footer that blocks shots which is what we need to backup Chandler.
    This is actually a great idea, looking pass aside Fab Melo's low basketball awareness. He's actually a rebounder and shot blocker. His frame and body is huge, not a skinny crackhead type 7 footer like Chandler and Barron. He's only 23 also. I believe Boston gave up on him too early.

  14. #14
    Member knicksman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    155
    Rep Power
    4

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    This is actually a great idea, looking pass aside Fab Melo's low basketball awareness. He's actually a rebounder and shot blocker. His frame and body is huge, not a skinny crackhead type 7 footer like Chandler and Barron. He's only 23 also. I believe Boston gave up on him too early.
    I know! I read yesterday he got an invite to the Mavs training camp. The Knicks should've at least looked at him. We wouldn't need him to score. We need a legitimate backup to Chandler who can hold it down defensively without giving up size.

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,791
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Originally Posted by metrocard
    This is actually a great idea, looking pass aside Fab Melo's low basketball awareness. He's actually a rebounder and shot blocker. His frame and body is huge, not a skinny crackhead type 7 footer like Chandler and Barron. He's only 23 also. I believe Boston gave up on him too early.
    Boston gave up on him too soon, Memphis cut him in 2 weeks. Let's see if he makes that Mavs roster, they really don't have a backup center so if he can't make the Mavs he probably won't make any NBA roster.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: Jun 26, 2011, 17:12
  2. Knicks looking for a backup PG
    By moneyg in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: Dec 08, 2010, 12:05
  3. And the Knicks Backup Center is.....
    By MSGKnickz33 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Nov 23, 2008, 19:22
  4. Replies: 37
    Last Post: Oct 07, 2008, 09:36
  5. Best Backup Point Guard for Knicks
    By Peach_NYK_21 in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: Mar 24, 2005, 17:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •