Source: New York Knicks Split on Signing Earl Barron

bigapple

Starter
but he have to play not to have chicke @ bench. During playoffs he was playing only 1 game vs Celtics few mins.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I would love for him to finally get this contract. He never failed us, and the coaches still want him. I don't know if there's better options, but this would have something special to it.

tiger0330

Legend
His problem is he shoots 36% from the floor. 36% is horrible especially for a 7 footer that's taking a lot of shots in the paint.

tiger0330

Legend
True, he's not going to shoot a lot but it causes you hesitate on signing a guy especially since he's not dominant on the other end. I was all for signing him until Metro posted his offensive numbers, didn't realize his career FG% was so low (albeit on not that many shots).

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
True, he's not going to shoot a lot but it causes you hesitate on signing a guy especially since he's not dominant on the other end. I was all for signing him until Metro posted his offensive numbers, didn't realize his career FG% was so low (albeit on not that many shots).
I'd only hesitate if there was somebody better available. This is a 15th man, not the first guy off the bench for one of the starters. No idea why he and Camby weren't used in the Playoffs. We weren't stacked with scorers, but those two could have gotten the Knicks a lot more opportunities.

How is Barron's defense?

Kiyaman

Legend

Earl Barron is still a part-time NBA player (poor agent), didnt Earl Barron average a double-double as a Knicks with David Lee & Nate Robinson as a bigman pickup at the end of a season when we had bigman-coach Mark Aguire on our staff.
A PG decision-making controls the high-scoring of a bigman .. Mark Jackson & Ewing, Nash & Amare, Felton & Amare, Linsanity & Tyson Chandler. Earl Barron has been a PT contract player hired for rebounds not offense.

tiger0330

Legend
I'd only hesitate if there was somebody better available. This is a 15th man, not the first guy off the bench for one of the starters. No idea why he and Camby weren't used in the Playoffs. We weren't stacked with scorers, but those two could have gotten the Knicks a lot more opportunities.

How is Barron's defense?
His defense is nothing special. He is what he is a borderline D-League player with enough skills to occasionally get a callup from an NBA team. I can see why Grunwald isn't excited about signing the guy.

nixon7

Benchwarmer
Woodson is going on intangibles. Grunwald is crunching the numbers.

I do not think this is a major rift, just the normal process of due diligence.

Once camp is over, I have to believe that Woodson and Grunwald will get together and come to an agreement, no matter which way this goes.

I love me some Earl and I hope that he ends up on the team, but I also have no problem letting a bunch of other guys compete for that last spot, as well as waiting on the waiver wire for the unexpected opportunity.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Woodson is going on intangibles. Grunwald is crunching the numbers.

I do not think this is a major rift, just the normal process of due diligence.

Once camp is over, I have to believe that Woodson and Grunwald will get together and come to an agreement, no matter which way this goes.

I love me some Earl and I hope that he ends up on the team, but I also have no problem letting a bunch of other guys compete for that last spot, as well as waiting on the waiver wire for the unexpected opportunity.
We could also offer Barron an un-guaranteed contract right?