Stein: Knicks to replace Glen Grunwald with Steve Mills?

Dolan is just plagarizing the Vince McMahon / Dixie Carter same old 1% are all f*in' Skull and Bones in league with the AntiChrist storyline. We all end up working for the same inbred retards until we overthrow the system....

In that case, I would have rather have seen Eric Bishoff bought in to run this team. At least we'd have a shot at getting Worm in here to be the team mascot.

Mike

tiger0330

Legend
Two theories I saw about the shakeup. Not sure I buy into either but there has to be some reason, I hope Knicks fans get an explanation.

1. This was a move to keep Melo in NY and not letting him leave in FA.

2. It's a step to pave the way for Allan Houston to become GM.

Kiyaman

Legend
My bad, GG did hold both the president and GM titles so that wasn't the reason. Also looks like GG didn't want to go and it was simply Dolan not happy with the job GG was doing. OK Grunny didn't bring a championship to NY but to bring back a guy that failed to do so in the 10 years he had the job makes no sense.

Over the years I notice Owner Dolan likes playin GM once in a while ....

There's a big trade goin down and Gunny dont want to be apart of it ..
Or Gunny refuse to make another dum-dum Bargain trade at the end of offseason.

Gunny & Isiah go way back, the destuction of the CBA League to the CEO of the Toronto Raptors.
Remember it was Donnie Walsh who gave Isiah his first HC job.

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Over the years I notice Owner Dolan likes playin GM once in a while ....

There's a big trade goin down and Gunny dont want to be apart of it ..
Or Gunny refuse to make another dum-dum Bargain trade at the end of offseason.

Gunny & Isiah go way back, the destuction of the CBA League to the CEO of the Toronto Raptors.
Remember it was Donnie Walsh who gave Isiah his first HC job.
The team doesnt even have assets to pull a trade off.

There no trade rumors under grunwald, so there's nothing for Dolan to step into.

personally I just think Dolan doesnt like the backlash the team has been getting in the media, while the nets are being praised.

tiger0330

Legend
I read the NY Times article and that made the most sense as to why Dolan did this. Seems David Stern knew this was going to happen and was probably consulted by Dolan before he did this. Stern was highly complimentary of Mills saying he was a great manager and that he had built up a huge network of contacts of players and agents over the years. The players also have confidence in Mills since he was rumored to be the next players association president.

Looks to me like the hiring of Mills was done to put the Knicks in the best position to get Lebron or another big star in 2015. Dolan thinks Steve Mills has more potential to be Pat Riley than Grunny.

bigapple

Starter
Woodson is Glen man they both r close

Woody done much more in short time than few last coaches combined

this upcoming season is final [contract] season for Woody i dont wana know and read more :(

knickscity

Benchwarmer
Woodson is Glen man they both r close

Woody done much more in short time than few last coaches combined

this upcoming season is final [contract] season for Woody i dont wana know and read more :(

Woody will be canned on his own merit, he has shown the one trait Dolan desires....loyalty, and leaving his agent to sign with CAA was a loyalty move, since the team is literally in bed with CAA.

Knicks do well, Woody stays, Knicks stink, he'll be gone and should be.

New New York

Quiet Storm
For what it is worth David Stern has co-signed the move and spoke ambiguously about his involvement with the decision...I imagine Mills wanted back in and put in a call to Stern who got in Dolan's ear like he did with Donnie Walsh

Kiyaman

Legend
This was not a Basketball Decision

The team doesnt even have assets to pull a trade off.

There no trade rumors under grunwald, so there's nothing for Dolan to step into.

personally I just think Dolan doesnt like the backlash the team has been getting in the media, while the nets are being praised.

This was not a Basketball decision .....

He also gave up a 1st round and 2 2nd round picks for Bargnani when Toronto was literally just trying to unload his contract (Amare contract comes to mind)

that was not a bright GM decision .... u just dont give-up a future-first round pick (their worth million$), then a 2nd round too.
DEMOTION .... if we had a decent replacement. What was so URGENT?
How many days before training-camp???

Kiyaman

Legend
This was not a Basketball Decision

Rick Kaplan, the agent for Marcus Camby, pounded the Knicks for their handling of former general manager Glen Grunwald, stripped of his duties four days before training camp.

The Knicks have brought back their former executive, Steve Mills, to be their new president/general manager after Grunwald retooled the club all summer. Kaplan goes way back with Grunwald, to when Camby was in Toronto.

“Steve is a great guy, but Glen’s firing is absurd,’’ Kaplan stated in a text message Friday morning to The Post. “He did a great job in a challenging environment. Turns out it was a thankless job.’’

Several league executives were genuinely shocked at the timing of the move, as was Carmelo Anthony.

“I was shocked,’’ Anthony said at a promotional event. “I never heard about it and nobody knew it was coming.’’

The Post has learned the Knicks would have made the announcement “a few days sooner’’ if not for Wednesday’s planned NBA press conference in Greenwich Village in which commissioner David Stern announced the All-Star Game was coming to New York in 2015.
Dolan was at the event and both the Knicks and NBA didn’t want the Mills-Grunwald shakeup to upstage the presser, according to sources.

But one NBA GM said Friday: “If you’re looking for logic within Dolan’s Knicks, you’re looking in the wrong place.’’

Contacted at the NBA offices, Stern defended the Knicks decision, lauding Mills, who worked with Stern in the 1990s. Stern said his inexperience running a club day-to-day is a non-factor because of his past experience as Garden’s sports president where he also oversaw the WNBA’s Liberty.

Dolan is also bringing in Mills to team with assistant GM Allan Houston to oversee a future overhaul that could begin this summer as they prepare for potential cap space in 2015 and make sure they re-sign Carmelo Anthony.

“Over the years, he has developed an enormous network of friends and colleagues of various teams,’’ Stern told The Post. “He’s dealt with a lot of players, a lot of agents. He’s a superior administrator who is going to help the team with its team business operations and I don’t mean just business.’’

“The Knicks are doing something specific and Steve fits the bill.”

Stern declined to comment on his involvement in Mills’ hire, citing “commissioner-owner privilege,’’ but acknowledged he knew of the hiring at the press conference. One league source said Dolan got Stern’s endorsement recently.

One league executive questioned Mills’ acumen, saying he hasn’t had a full-time job in sports since leaving the Garden, where some questioned his handling of the Anucha Browne Sanders situation before she filed a sexual-harassment lawsuit.

The league executive said Mills recently attempted to put together funds to buy a sports team to no avail.
Surprisingly, former Knicks president Donnie Walsh, who is a big fan of Grunwald’s, endorsed the Mills hire. Walsh has worked with both Mills and Grunwald.

When Walsh ran the Knicks, then Garden sports president Mills was demoted into more of a business than basketball role before resigning in May 2009. A source told The Post Garden chief Hank Ratner forced Mills’ exit.
Walsh disputes Mills had nothing to do with basketball decisions when he ran the show.

“I didn’t view it that way,’’ Walsh told the Post via phone from the Pacers’ offices in Indianapolis. “I felt at least with me, we talked basketball with Steve a lot. I don’t know what relationship he had with Isiah [Thomas], but we talked a lot about what I was looking at.’’

Walsh was the Pacers president last season and now is a “consultant’’ with Larry Bird aboard. Ironically, the Pacers’ second-round ouster of the Knicks partially led to Grunwald’s demise.

“He’s got a lot of ability,’’ Walsh said of Mills. “So did Glen. They’re both really smart. Steve has a lot of love and passion for basketball. He comes from a basketball world.’’

Mills, a former Princeton point guard, will forever be tagged with having hired Thomas amid an embarrassing era for the franchise.

“I was surprised because I didn’t know what was happening,’’ Walsh added. “It surprised me. First of all, I have a lot of feeling for Glen. But when I heard it was Steve I thought he’s a good guy. That’s how I reacted. I think he’ll do a good job.’’