Media Day and Training Camp notes

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Sorry to be excited for this, but glad we're getting closer to seeing Knicks bball. Figured I'd create a thread for people to discuss training camp news as it comes out, and anything funny/interesting from Media Say which begins in 30 min. I'm hoping for a healthy camp and preseason from our guys! The news that Stoudemire had another minor knee surgery this summer is troubling, but let's hope he makes it to the Bcats opener still healthy, I know it's easy to write him off, but I think we need to be able to get some positive performance from him. Also interested to see if any camp invites make the team, as is I like Leslie to keep roster spot as well as Jeremy Tyler despite being injured, I think they are good emergency depth young guys that have upside. With Felton, Prigs, Udrih, Shump, JR, Tim H, Melo, MWP, Stat, Bargs, Chandler, Kmart, and those 2, if we elected to not leave a roster spot open (which we may do to get a released vet at some point again) we could bring in 1 more, of course this changes if my assumptions are wrong on Leslie or Tyler. Out of guys we have for a look, I am interested in Toure Murray but not sure how he gets much court time, albeit a 15th man that should be true. I am also interested in Diogu, he's played some NBA rotation minutes in the past, and I'm interested in Aldrich. Idea is to let them sort it obviously but I'd lean towards Aldrich as I think bigs can be crucial, if Chandler goes down we need big bodies. With Shump and Jr playing some 3 I don't see Diogu doing as much, and if Felton went down you still have Udrih and Prigs and all the 2s could log emergency pg mins if needed, I see Center being the need for depth, especially with Kmart, Bargs and Stat health issues and Tyler temp shelved

tiger0330

Legend
I actually like this roster better than last years. One of the reasons I think GG was demoted was all those old guys we brought in last year, I think I read Felton said the same thing about last years team that it was too old.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
And that's what I meant by saying that Grunwald was always able to repair the damage. He realized the veteran team concept was a fail and that's the reason we look much younger this year. In a couple of month the average age dropped from almost 32 to slightly above 28. Not to mention that pickups such as Tyler or Murry are able to contribute right away.

But, to the point, I didn't really feel this offseason, I tried to follow the Knicks news, but short after the Summer League I lost my interest. But now, that we're just a month away from the season I start to feel the excitement again.
:gony:

metrocard

Legend
fs0o.jpg

Al Iannazzone @Al_Iannazzone

Woodson on J.R.'s 5-game ban. "I’m sure he will apologize to this organization and his teammates b/c we’ve made a major commitment to him."

Marc Berman @NYPost_Berman
Woodson on Bargnani: "He's in pretty good shape.'' Said he will get better during training camp. Coming off pneumonia.

Mike Woodson says he'll use training camp to experiment with lineups. Won't commit to going with a small or big lineup today. #Knicks

BVbGf1VIQAAzmAj.jpg

ef7a45b829de11e3b38022000a9e070a_7.jpg

http://instagram.com/p/e4-PGGqMJ6/

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
So Stat may not be ready for start of season now, Woodson wouldn't say for sure but sounds like he'll be held out all preseason games and possibly not ready for start of season. Of course we already have similar with JR plus suspension. Sorry to whine, but sick of every year starting and then having to adjust rotations to accomodate guys returning to court, I know it is common and coaches have to deal with injuries but I feel we NEVER have a training camp where everyone is able to get solid work in together. So it'll be a couple of weeks then some guys that may have played well will lose minutes to give to JR and Stat, not that they aren't rotation guys for us, just sucks always having to screw with rotation

tiger0330

Legend
Really sick of the Stat soap opera. I remember his agent saying in the summer his knee was 100% and then we find out he had a knee surgery in the summer a couple of months later. Bargs is going to get a lot of minutes early in the season by default with Stat out. Bargs is on the big stage now, let's hope he shines and the MSG crowd will be shouting MVP MVP for him.

WNY_Knickfan

Benchwarmer
Not huge news but Brownlee out Douglas-Roberts in, haven't seen CDR in a couple years but what I recall with Nets/wherever he wouldn't be awful way to fill out a roster either, again any of these hopefuls hopefully shouldn't play other than garbage time, but still I prefer guys I don't cringe at in case we did get thin for a stretch and needed them to play mins

Kiyaman

Legend
Really sick of the Stat soap opera. I remember his agent saying in the summer his knee was 100% and then we find out he had a knee surgery in the summer a couple of months later. Bargs is going to get a lot of minutes early in the season by default with Stat out. Bargs is on the big stage now, let's hope he shines and the MSG crowd will be shouting MVP MVP for him.

Good point all-around .. At $10M per. Bargani is a 30 minute player.
Take one guess who 30 min playingtime Bargani is taking? I wouldve gave it to Copeland.
A week after the Bargani trade was finalize in July, the Knicks media hit us off with some bs news about Amare only being able to play 20 minutes per game.
Two months later after swallowing the Amare 20 minute rule, the Knicks media hit us off with some more bs opera news about our $100M player (Amare) having a secret surgery behind our backs 3 months ago.
All the surprise-surprise Knicks media news on Amare-opera is indirect news of a no-show Amare in the 2013-14 season.

These are the 13 players under-contract to begin training-camp
What we got ....
at center we got .. Tyson, Amare, Bargani
at PF we got .. Kenyon Martin, injured Tyler
at SF we got .. Melo, Meta
at SG we got .. Shump, JR, Hardaway
at PG we got .. Felton, Prig, Beno
I put these players in there natural-position ?.
How HC Woody rotation/substitution format plays out with certain players performing out of their natural position will be on Woody.
Example: Shump/ JRsmith are not point-forward, Meta/Melo are not PF, and Kenyon Martin/Tyler are not centers.
When we substitute to run a small-ball lineup of 3 guards, and 2 forwards during a game it should not change our players main position.
Our postseason presence prove that.

Kiyaman

Legend
Im hoping we give Tim Hardaway Jr. at least 28 minutes of playintime in preseason games.
We have 2 job opening for 6 tryouts .... which one u like???

#45 6.11 C- Cole Aldrich
#50 6.9 F/C- Ike Diogu
#20 6.9 F/C- Josh Powell
#25 6.9 PF- C.J. Leslie
#34 6.7 SF- Chris Douglas-Roberts
#23 6.5 SG- Toure' Murry

Thanx Gunny .. all 3 of our PG are signed for the season .. no pressure

tiger0330

Legend
Looks like Chandler agreed with my thread about training with Hakeem was a waste of time. Seems he declined Hakeem's camp in the summer to work on a 15ft jumper and hook shot all summer.

Last season, Tyson Chandler took 362 shots inside 5 feet of the rim (hitting 66.3 percent) and 38 shots from outside 5 feet (hitting 39.5 percent). The man is not a jump shooter.
Chandler is a smart veteran now however and he sees which way the game is evolving — big men who can step out and knock down a midrange jumper to help space the floor have great value.
So Chandler spent a chunk of his summer working on his jump shot, he told Marc Berman of the New York Post, via Sulia:
Chandler has worked on the jumper all offseason. He declined to attend Hakeem Olajuwon’s big man camp, feeling the jumper is more important in the modern-day game than scoring in the post. “I think it can be deadly,” he said. “If you can knock down that mid-range jump shot, it exploits a lot of bigs, makes them come away from the basket where they’re not comfortable.”
Very true, it pulls a big away from protecting the rim. Something Chandler knows about all too well.
Teams are going to let Chandler have a face up jumper from the elbow relatively uncontested until he shows he can make it regularly, but if he can it will tweak how teams defend the Knicks.
That said, this is not going to be some major weapon for the Knicks — Chandler is very good on the roll and he should do that mostly off the pick, not pop. If Chandler takes one midrange jumper a game, that’s about max. If you’re trying to get the most efficient offensive shot you can, Chandler from the midrange is never going to be it.

Last edited:

Kiyaman

Legend
Looks like Chandler agreed with my thread about training with Hakeem was a waste of time. Seems he declined Hakeem's camp in the summer to work on a 15ft jumper and hook shot all summer.

So now the NBA is turning into a perimeter shooting league where 7.1 bigmen want to shoot Jumpshots .. what happen to the bigman hook-shot, or the Darrel Dawkins break'em Dunk.
Could u imagine a 7.1 Shaq only shooting jumpshots? ha ha ha ha ha LMAO

tiger0330

Legend
So now the NBA is turning into a perimeter shooting league where 7.1 bigmen want to shoot Jumpshots .. what happen to the bigman hook-shot, or the Darrel Dawkins break'em Dunk.
Could u imagine a 7.1 Shaq only shooting jumpshots? ha ha ha ha ha LMAO
We'll see where this goes. But TC has been working like a madman on his jumper in camp, staying after practice to work on it. I think I read he's taking like 600 shots a day.

Kiyaman

Legend
We'll see where this goes. But TC has been working like a madman on his jumper in camp, staying after practice to work on it. I think I read he's taking like 600 shots a day.

I liked Tyson scoring early in the 2012-13 season when he was receiving PnR from Felton, Kidd, and Pablo.
It worked well having a 3rd man Brewer screening off Tyson defender.
It will work well again with Meta or Leslie screening off Tyson defender.
7.1 Tyson like Noah will always have to run out to the perimeter to receive a pass when oponents double-team his teammates ..
should Tyson shoot his offseason practice jumpshot with 7 seconds or more remaining on the shot clock?
or should Tyson pass the ball to the open man like Noah does?