Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woodson: Knicks must improve on defense

Veteran

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Naaahhh J.R. is a hired gun, especially the way this team is setup now I'd prefer he not start. I want Shumpert or JR to develop properly instead of turning them into ESCAPEGOATS or pawns to be traded.
    When we drafted Tim Hardaway Jr., and resign Prigioni, there was no room on the team for JR.smith. Our next move shouldve been signing PG-Nate Robinson to challenge Felton for minutes this season. The postseason games automatically made Prigioni our starter SG in the backcourt with Felton. Shump improvement each season to play 3 position makes him our 6th man off the bench with Nate in the backcourt to give us bench points.
    GM Glen Grunwald was to blind to notice these small improvements to the team, so he was DEMOTED.

If we want to change lastseason defensive record to the 10th defensive-team in the league, then we have to change our 48 minute isolation system on offense. No more hanging out on the 3-ball line waiting for the ball, then running down court when Melo or JR miss the shot, and no Knicks competing for the offensive-rebound. When u make ur oponent use 2 to 3 players to hustle & boxout for their defenisve-rebound it gives us enough time to get back to set up our defense.
    Last year we depended on Tyson Chandler to do everything on defense without any PF help..
    If it wasnt for Jason Kidd calling defensive-plays in the 4th quarter we would not have won 54 games.

Here's our problem ....
    Last year Woodson used 24 different starting lineups, which contributed to some of the breakdowns on D.
    And that was Woody decision not injuries.

Center Tyson Chandler, for one, thinks having a set starting five will help. "I think it’s tough to adjust night in and night out, having different bodies in," Chandler said.
    We all seen how Woody would shuffle the lineup, taking Ronnie Brewer out of the starter lineup, and getting beat by 20 points in the first quarter. DNP Prigioni to get beat every quarter. Never making Melo play SF, when Sheed, K.Thomas, Amare, or K-Mart was healthy to play PF. Plus never letting Camby be our backup center the entire season.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by Kiyaman
    When we drafted Tim Hardaway Jr., and resign Prigioni, there was no room on the team for JR.smith. Our next move shouldve been signing PG-Nate Robinson to challenge Felton for minutes this season. The postseason games automatically made Prigioni our starter SG in the backcourt with Felton. Shump improvement each season to play 3 position makes him our 6th man off the bench with Nate in the backcourt to give us bench points.
    GM Glen Grunwald was to blind to notice these small improvements to the team, so he was DEMOTED.

If we want to change lastseason defensive record to the 10th defensive-team in the league, then we have to change our 48 minute isolation system on offense. No more hanging out on the 3-ball line waiting for the ball, then running down court when Melo or JR miss the shot, and no Knicks competing for the offensive-rebound. When u make ur oponent use 2 to 3 players to hustle & boxout for their defenisve-rebound it gives us enough time to get back to set up our defense.
    Last year we depended on Tyson Chandler to do everything on defense without any PF help..
    If it wasnt for Jason Kidd calling defensive-plays in the 4th quarter we would not have won 54 games.

Here's our problem ....
    Last year Woodson used 24 different starting lineups, which contributed to some of the breakdowns on D.

Center Tyson Chandler, for one, thinks having a set starting five will help. "I think it’s tough to adjust night in and night out, having different bodies in," Chandler said.
    We all seen how Woody would shuffle the lineup, taking Ronnie Brewer out of the starter lineup, and getting beat by 20 points in the first quarter. DNP Prigioni to get beat every quarter. Never making Melo play SF, when Sheed, K.Thomas, Amare, or K-Mart was healthy to play PF. Plus never letting Camby be our backup center the entire season.
    Nate would of been a better signing indeed. We're not a very fast team in terms of speed, Nate would of helped us out on the fast break more than JR can.

Did someone mention Defense .. lastseason taught me u could have some great defensive-players on your roster and become a poor defensive-team when u give 40 minutes to ISO-Melo, 33 minutes to JRsmith, and 30 minutes to Felton .. this trio of 30+ minute players are the only players that touch the ball on the offensive-end of the court.
    Will this season be any different?

My best 6 man lineup:
    C-Amare
    PF-K-Mart
    SF-Meta
    SG-Hardaway
    PG-Beno
    6th-Man Shump
    This defense/offense lineup will never happen with HC Woody getting all his instruction from ISO-Melo.
    Lastseason I waited 82 games to see HC Woody put a lineup of Camby/Amare/Copeland/Shump/Pablo on the court as a 2nd unit, which never happen.
    If u can recall, the trio Camby/Amare/and Shump came off of injury to start the season in the same month January. Why would u put Camby & Shump in the starter lineup and not our $100M player Amare? Chaotic right?

The Knicks could have the best DEFENSIVE lineup in the Eastern Conference with:
    C-Chandler
    PF-K-Mart
    SF-Meta
    SG-Shump
    PG-Pablo
    This lineup could give us STOPS after STOPS, strong offensive & defensive rebounding, what they cant do is score on isolation plays. And HC Woody's 48 minute system is scoring off of isolation plays (aka individual scoring)...
    I think Woodson knows a little more about lineups than you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Originally Posted by New New York
    some of you are missing the point completely

Individual skills do not matter when a team buys into a coach's defensive approach. Of course it makes a big difference when you have the talent to fit the approach but plenty of team's have defended well collectively when they had individuals who do/did not defend well.

Think about The Bulls who have been the standard for D the past 3 or 4 years. Deng,Noah and Butler stand out as defenders but the rest of the team does it by committee. Tibbs demands and it and they go after it on D...and a lot of it is Zone not man to man further supporting my argument that it not simply about good individual defenders....side note I hate zone Defense

So no we do not need Pablo playing 26 mins+ to help ensure that our D is solid. First off he probably could not handle it at his age and secondly there is a big difference between a guy who plays the passing lanes well and a good one on one defender so simply playing him (or any other player more) would not equate to better D

So I do not think a unit with our best 5 defensive players is necessary nor wise. In fact the best approach would be to keep at least 2 of them on the floor at all times. So Shump and TC in starting 5 and Pablo Metta and Kmart off the bench. This gives us both balance on both sides of the floor and balance between the 2 units.

So yeah we have a chance to be a top 5 defensive team if Woody holds the guys accountable like he did with turnovers last year!

Lastly JR and Melo are better defenders than they get credit for...do not get me wrong they leave much to be desired but still can defend when they are focused. So again its about Woody demanding more of them and everyone else

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Here's our problem ....

Center Tyson Chandler, for one, thinks having a set starting five will help. "I think itís tough to adjust night in and night out, having different bodies in," Chandler said.
    You lose credibility here when you mentioned we should have signed a head case like Nate Robinson. That experiment has failed miserably in the past. JR is dumb, but he's the lesser of the two evils in comparison to Nate Robinson.

Veteran

Originally Posted by JaYnYcE
    I think Woodson knows a little more about lineups than you do.

I doubt it .. I was coaching bigmen moves when the Knicks drafted Mike Woodson as a SG.
    SG-Gerald Wilkins never let Woodson get any playingtime as a Knicks.

The Knicks using Nate Robinson lockerroom tactics as a scape-goat for several of the teams 23 win seasons, was just Isiah Thomas diversion to keep fans from mentioning the clarity of the Knicks organization-mess having a coaching-staff that never got on the same-page with the players.
    Nate Robinson was the best MVP PG in two summer-league offseasons, and from 2005 to 2009 (under 3 different Knicks HC) the Knicks used a 5.8 Nate Robinson as a SG, who is the headcase in that scenario???

Nate vs JR = N8 the Great...

Veteran

The only hope for HC Woody to have a decent defensive team this year, he will have to give the defensive-coaching to Kenyon Martin, and assistant coach Darrel Walker.

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

I doubt it .. I was coaching bigmen moves when the Knicks drafted Mike Woodson as a SG.

The Knicks using Nate Robinson lockerroom tactics as a scape-goat for several of the teams 23 win seasons, was just Isiah Thomas diversion to keep fans from mentioning the clarity of the Knicks organization-mess having a coaching-staff that never got on the same-page with the players.
    Nate Robinson was the best MVP PG in two summer-league offseasons, and from 2005 to 2009 (under 3 different Knicks HC) the Knicks used a 5.8 Nate Robinson as a SG, who is the headcase in that scenario???

Kiyaman, you should get back into coaching again. You have the best insight in the sport IMO, people sleep on you because the information you present is too much for their conditioned reality.

Nate Rob would level up the Knicks with his improved defense and dynamic scoring ability to take men off the dribble and create havoc. I believe he was averaging 17 and 7 per 36 and really improved his mid range jumper and passing.

That's great that you have a coaching background. But you don't have Woodson's resume, as shaky as it might be especially when it come to the NBA playoffs.

Call it scapegoating all you want but what I see on the basketball court is an immature child that can't control his emotions. We already have that in JR, and JR just won the 6th man of the year award. That would have been foolish to drop him for Nate Robinson, who's claim to game is a summer league MVP and a multi time dunk champion in a watered down dunk contest era.

I believe we were 17th in the league (Defense) last year....we need to be in the top 10 to think we can make it to the finals. Woodson has to elevate his coaching as well as the guys improving to come close to the top10.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

This is who you want back on this team.