Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

tiger0330

Legend
Knicks were a .500 team before Melo.
With him, we were a slightly better .500 team but still got bumped in the playoffs.
So let's not overrate him.

In 2-3 seasons, I don't believe Melo will be worth that money. He'll be coming down from his prime and will be a very good complimentary player but not a guy you should rely to build your franchise on.

If Knicks don't win this season, trade Melo to a contender for draft picks and try to rebuild around two special prospects in the 2014 and 2015 draft, so we'll have a good team by 2017.

That's WAY better than being a treadmill team until 2017 where we'll have no trade pieces because we held on to overrated for too long.
I agree Metro someone needs to look real hard at our roster and take a look at the lack of draft picks and the downside of signing a guy you'll be paying 29M bucks to in his mid 30's. Maybe the best thing that happens is the Knicks go 37-45 like that ESPN analyst thinks and Melo says he wants to go to a winner and we trade him for some picks.

Broadway

All Star
Knicks were a .500 team before Melo.
With him, we were a slightly better .500 team but still got bumped in the playoffs.
So let's not overrate him.

In 2-3 seasons, I don't believe Melo will be worth that money. He'll be coming down from his prime and will be a very good complimentary player but not a guy you should rely to build your franchise on.

If Knicks don't win this season, trade Melo to a contender for draft picks and try to rebuild around two special prospects in the 2014 and 2015 draft, so we'll have a good team by 2017.

That's WAY better than being a treadmill team until 2017 where we'll have no trade pieces because we held on to overrated for too long.

He's always been hella overrated his entire career and none moreso since he transversed here to the largest market. Our fan base became too desperate and are now punch drunk over this loser.

Let this sink in for all of you who call yourselves fans. All of you are conscious of money and it's value right?

Well when we traded for Carmelo that came with a half season payment of his 2010-2011 salary which was in the neck of the woods of $17mil and we extended him at 3yrs $67mil which kicked in 2012-2013. So if you cut $17mil in half and add it to $67mil you get roughly $75mil. Now add that to the potential 5yr $130mil extension....That's a payout in 3yrs for guaranteed money to a tune of $210mil....Okay you might say no doubt a lot of money but there have been plenty of overpaid NBA players who have made that and more...to that I say true but here's the kicker...

Denver only paid Melo his rookie scale deal and 1 5yr extension deal. His rookie scale contract was about 4yrs and $15mil and his extension was 5yrs $80mil.

So in almost 9yrs of basketball he made $90mil guaranteed.... but in only 3yrs of basketball with us he'll have made $210mil of guaranteed money!!!!! Nowhere close to championship caliber/level of play

This my friends is so disturbing on every level I can think of. And as you said we won't get the best of Carmelo Anthony he'll be declining

knicksince 93

Rotation player
I agree Metro someone needs to look real hard at our roster and take a look at the lack of draft picks and the downside of signing a guy you'll be paying 29M bucks to in his mid 30's. Maybe the best thing that happens is the Knicks go 37-45 like that ESPN analyst thinks and Melo says he wants to go to a winner and we trade him for some picks.

If we go 37 and 45 he won't get traded he'll just opt out and sign somewhere else. So without melo next year how do you plan on being competitive next year? Oh you accept rebuilding, so how do we get draft picks to rebuild please explain

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

knicksince 93

Rotation player
54 wins isn't slightly better then 500 its amazing so don't short change his season by mixing it with the lockout shortened or a season in which he got traded at the deadline. In 2 years he will be on the decline BUT who's to say he won't be a complimentary player by then. Who's to say shump won't develop into a star. Who's to say we won't package jr and Tyson for draft picks, who's to say after stat contract ends we won't sign anyone? Those are likely situations and not wishing on a star like saying stat will be an all star again. What if stat opts out this upcoming off season? Yeah I know why would stat opt out of all that money, well that's easy he can just resign for that amount over the course of 3 years and we land another stat to play with a re signing melo after this season. It's not like stat will get any other deals outside the league minimum anyway so he won't be turning down any real money by his standards. Don't get tunnel vision with our team, we're not a treadmill team and that can't be backed up with any kind of facts when we've tweaked the the roster and improved in every way, each year we get better. And the credit is givin to lightly contributing role players and the various gms well give credit to the only constant and that's melo. Point is we'll acquire him and other people if needed to be. Ny(in the history of sports) have never had a problem acquiring players. Its cool yall will all be on the band wagon once the wins start to pile up

tiger0330

Legend
If we go 37 and 45 he won't get traded he'll just opt out and sign somewhere else. So without melo next year how do you plan on being competitive next year? Oh you accept rebuilding, so how do we get draft picks to rebuild please explain

You must not remember how we obtained Mr. Anthony's services, had to give Denver players plus picks. We're the only team that can sign him to a 5 year deal with 7% raises so hopefully if it comes to trading him we can SnT him for expirings and picks.

KnicksFan4Life

Benchwarmer
He's always been hella overrated his entire career and none moreso since he transversed here to the largest market. Our fan base became too desperate and are now punch drunk over this loser.

Let this sink in for all of you who call yourselves fans. All of you are conscious of money and it's value right?

Well when we traded for Carmelo that came with a half season payment of his 2010-2011 salary which was in the neck of the woods of $17mil and we extended him at 3yrs $67mil which kicked in 2012-2013. So if you cut $17mil in half and add it to $67mil you get roughly $75mil. Now add that to the potential 5yr $130mil extension....That's a payout in 3yrs for guaranteed money to a tune of $210mil....Okay you might say no doubt a lot of money but there have been plenty of overpaid NBA players who have made that and more...to that I say true but here's the kicker...

Denver only paid Melo his rookie scale deal and 1 5yr extension deal. His rookie scale contract was about 4yrs and $15mil and his extension was 5yrs $80mil.

So in almost 9yrs of basketball he made $90mil guaranteed.... but in only 3yrs of basketball with us he'll have made $210mil of guaranteed money!!!!! Nowhere close to championship caliber/level of play

This my friends is so disturbing on every level I can think of. And as you said we won't get the best of Carmelo Anthony he'll be declining

You can pretty much say this about any star player who has never won a championship. To single out Melo is ridiculous. Kevin Garnett made close to a 190M with the Wolves and never sniffed a championship. Every star player whether they win championships or not is going to get paid the same amount of money. That's the way the CBA works.

bigapple

Starter
MELO free agency down to Knicks/Lakers

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...ints-decision-knicks-lakers-article-1.1488684

many post says Knicks shoudl dump MELO

but

MELO wants to play with Pringles again?

all know that Lakers are Bryant team.

personally i see just msg from MELo that he just wana stong roster that can compete
with Heat Pacers and Bulls

i saw some highlights Bulls Rose he is doin just same things as Lebron driving into the paint like John Wall
and still only what u can do is +1

knicksince 93

Rotation player
anti-fan Any fangirl/boy who purports to be a fan but who is actually engaged in dissing down, covertly or overtly, the object of a fandom, often for hidden agendas of their own; any fan who approaches their fan subject from the viewpoint of hiding their criticism under a false facade of appreciation; anyone offering veiled criticism as 'friendly' advice; anyone offering unwanted critiques, analysis or opinions which are thinly or poorly-veiled attacks or backstabbing. Anti-fans often purposefully start flame wars. Key style of an anti-fan is to appear reasonable and concerned at all times, often quoting dubious "sources" in their arguments.

theres like 4 in this thread alone.

metrocard

Legend

competitive?

Being a treadmill team isn't competitive.

Indian Pacers are competitive, they actually challenged and almost bumped Miami out of the playoffs.

Why should we give up our value in the future for a treadmill team status? 3-5 seed but not a real contender against Miami.

We have a nice team, a team that can win games and look good in the regular season.

But can you honestly look throughout this roster and say it's enough to get by the Heat?

Indiana Pacers use to be a treadmill team, but they have two big time prospects in Hibbert and George who are now all stars, very dynamic...all NBA defenders who can pass well from their position and score when they need to.

We don't have that.

We have Amare, Chandler, World Peace, Martin, Anthony, Felton, Prigioni and JR Smith..most of these guys been pro for over 10 years already. The time is now, not later. Theres nothing to gain from here IMO if we continue to "competitive" it's fake, not productive as a franchise.

I rather us be competitive with a promising future, not a dead future.

Kiyaman

Legend
You can pretty much say this about any star player who has never won a championship. To single out Melo is ridiculous. Kevin Garnett made close to a 190M with the Wolves and never sniffed a championship. Every star player whether they win championships or not is going to get paid the same amount of money. That's the way the CBA works.

Melo has never been as GREAT as Kevin Garnett on a Basketball court ....
The KG Wolves went 10 years without a draft-pick .. the Wolves havnt seen playoff since KG

WVKnickfan

Rotation player
Am I the only one on here that wants him gone? I said it when we traded for him that it was a huge mistake and guess what it was.The guy has done NOTHING since he got here and will do nothing for the rest of his career.Yes he has all the talent in the world but whats talent worth when you don't win any rings? He plays no defense,plays no team ball, and shoots way to much for this team to even think about having chemistry on the court. This team would have been better if we kept the players we had before the trade with all of our draft picks. I for one cannot wait till he leaves New York.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
Yup, it's Carmelo's fault. Had nothing to due with injuries on this team. Let's not forget he's gonna be retiring soon. We should trade him for Derek Fisher since he knows how to win.

Kiyaman

Legend
Am I the only one on here that wants him gone? I said it when we traded for him that it was a huge mistake and guess what it was.The guy has done NOTHING since he got here and will do nothing for the rest of his career.Yes he has all the talent in the world but whats talent worth when you don't win any rings? He plays no defense,plays no team ball, and shoots way to much for this team to even think about having chemistry on the court. This team would have been better if we kept the players we had before the trade with all of our draft picks. I for one cannot wait till he leaves New York.

:agreed::agreed::agreed:

I too .. wanted to stay far from the chaotic Melo-Trade (he wanted out of a team that took him to the conference-finals).

Metro .. was right in his comment on Knicks could not afford to give Melo such a high salary extended contract at that age (a couple of season injuries), while having NO draft picks to build around him. We will have to depend on the FA market throughout Melo's new contract. Plus Melo's career had several All-Star teammates that Melo's style of play could never mesh or gell with for 10 straight years. Melo is a high scoring lockerroom cancer.

Surprise suprise .. we could determine if Melo is a KEEPER a week before the 2014 February trading-deadline, by what our record look like. Injuries doesnt matter .. If our record dont look like a contender teams record then TRADE-TRADE-TRADE Melo quickly in February.
Surprise suprise Melo!!!

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer

Since Melo arrived we won a division title and advanced past the first round for the first time in over a decade. He could do more, but to say he's done nothing is lying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free