Chris Smith makes team and Tyler CUT!

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
We got the 6th man on the cheap ??????????NOBODY NOT A SINGLE TEAM OFFERED HIM A CONTRACT FOR ANY MONEY........NO TEAM OFFERED A DEAL.....say that 20 times to yourself and just maybe you will realize we DID NOT GET HIM ON THE CHEAP.

I disagree. Perhaps no other team offered him a deal because they knew he was willing to sign for less with the Knicks, so they didn't want to offer him a much higher deal. Whether or not we got him on the cheap will be determined by how he plays over the course of his contract, and what we could have gotten instead of him for the money. Based on his numbers last year, I think he will more than earn the money the Knicks will give him.

Signing his bro, however... not a smart move. Not for financial reasons, and not even just for who should be on the roster instead. I'm more concerned about how players will perceive the move - favoritism etc. Just doesn't seem like a move that will encourage players to play their hardest. You have to reward the most deserving player, or morale and motivation will drop.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
sorry. but seriously who cares. not Tyler nor diogu Powell blah blah blah Leslie or smith will make an impact on this team. you're acting like we signed Chris smith as our starting two guard for the year. and stop with the oh the nets signed kirilenko crap. we got world peace who is just as valuable if not more valuable than kirilenko. we got the NBA sixth man on the cheap. resigned Pablo and k mart. drafted a stud in Timmy Jr and traded crap for bargnani. i think we made some significant moves this offseason. does that mean we are contender no. but no one we keep or cut on the bottom of the bench this year is going to shift us into the next tier of NBA winners.

in short. stoppppp your cryingggg and enough with these god awful threads

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Great post. This should pinned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

tiger0330

Legend
sorry. but seriously who cares. not Tyler nor diogu Powell blah blah blah Leslie or smith will make an impact on this team. you're acting like we signed Chris smith as our starting two guard for the year. and stop with the oh the nets signed kirilenko crap. we got world peace who is just as valuable if not more valuable than kirilenko. we got the NBA sixth man on the cheap. resigned Pablo and k mart. drafted a stud in Timmy Jr and traded crap for bargnani. i think we made some significant moves this offseason. does that mean we are contender no. but no one we keep or cut on the bottom of the bench this year is going to shift us into the next tier of NBA winners.

in short. stoppppp your cryingggg and enough with these god awful threads

What you say is true that an end of the bench guy isn't going to make much of a difference. Knicks fans are just bitching because Chris Smith didn't deserve a spot, he played fewer minutes in the preseason than everyone except CDR so how does he beat out anyone when he wasn't even on the court.

skisloper

Starter
What you say is true that an end of the bench guy isn't going to make much of a difference. Knicks fans are just bitching because Chris Smith didn't deserve a spot, he played fewer minutes in the preseason than everyone except CDR so how does he beat out anyone when he wasn't even on the court.

It sends a wrong message to the Knicks Players. I know people will say that does not matter but just watch this team implode.....I spend every second of every game being a Knicks fan but when the Team makes decisions that you know are just wrong its hard to cheer for those decisions....The goal is to win a championship and thats tough to do with poor decision making.....

As for someone saying other teams did make an offer because they knew JR wanted to stay with the Knicks....come on and be real.....If JR was offered a contract that his numbers reflect he would have bolted....Teams dont just look at numbers they look at a players profile and JR after the Knicks won the conference title what he is made of by elbowing Terry and partying during the playoffs which lead to a terrible pacer series....

Why is so difficult for people to realize to WIN we need WINNERS.

Look at Copeland last year......If Chris Smith did hurt his Knee is it possible Copeland does not make the Knicks last year. Its moronic.

Kiyaman

Legend
Preseason play is meaningless.

Aldrich blocks shots and gets rebounds. Ike gives up rebounds Amare style and doesn't play defense.

Wow! if someone wouldve offered me a 1 to 100 odds on Chris Smith making the Knicks during training camp .. I wouldve kept my dollar in my pocket. I guess the half a mill salary to Chris will be coming out of bigbru JR.smith new $20M contract, call it a big brother gift. lol

The Knicks will need the TRIO of "Amare, K-Mart, Meta" in their reg-season rotation to play .500 b.ball ....
This trio front line .... if given the chance to be in the same-lineup for just 8 minutes per game will gell within 5 to 10 games.
Will HC Woody put that trio-foward lineup on the court for 8 mpg? HELL to the NO!
Why not???

and we are still yammering away about this guy? how do you know he's not a great practice player. has good chemistry. plays tough practice defense. knocks down jumpers. a championship team has specific players built for preparing teams starting units for games. maybe Chris smith runs the plays while diogu can't move fast enough and cdr chuck's up shots all day. god man. you guys are turning into frank isolas secret clone stock pile exaggeration after exaggeration.

skisloper

Starter
and we are still yammering away about this guy? how do you know he's not a great practice player. has good chemistry. plays tough practice defense. knocks down jumpers. a championship team has specific players built for preparing teams starting units for games. maybe Chris smith runs the plays while diogu can't move fast enough and cdr chuck's up shots all day. god man. you guys are turning into frank isolas secret clone stock pile exaggeration after exaggeration.

he made the team because he is JR'S brother and one has to wonder how stupid can an organization be to reward JR with a contract for his brother when he has pissed on the organization,,,,,why do we keep kissing JR'S ass.....he should be held accountable....Woodson will lose this team because he spends more time rewarding those that mess up then those that dont...Coplenad sitting in the playoffs and Prigioni sitting in the playoffs.....its always easier to tolerate a coaches or managments mistakes if they learn from it but the siging of chris smith is just another indication of us not setting a winning environment by making players accountable.

nyk_nyk

All Star

C'mon man stop with this nonsense. If you claim to know basketball then you and everyone else can clearly see that Chris Smith is not on an NBA level. You try and discount Ike but he's done triple the amount of work CS has done in the pre-season. Also, I don't think you get what it means to retain young players with potential even if they are on the end of the bench. It means they will be developed and at some point will be given more of a chance to make an impact. In some cases, these guys actually turn into good role players. While the Knicks are in win now mode, you still need to retain assets for the future. Part of being a successful franchise is to plan for the future as well as managing the present. I don't know how good Tyler can be but he was very impressive in summer league and showed some good big man skills. Plus he's only 22!

tiger0330

Legend
Smith's 500K contract becomes guaranteed tonight at 5PM. That's charity and maybe part of a side deal cut as part of JR's deal with the Knicks. I have seen guys with more talent like JLin in Houston and Golden State who was cut because his contract was going to be guaranteed after a certain date.

all I'm saying is we don't know why they kept smith. what I do know is who gives a rats ass who we keep at the depth of our bench. maybe the Knicks realize that Jr smith is undeniably critical to our success as he only viable second option who can create their own shot which is invaluable during.the playoffs. so maybe from a psychological emotional support stance Chris smith was the best signing we made if it helps Jr feel supported and mentally stable. I am almost positive that the team and coach agreed with the move as well because if it helps one of our best players it helps the team. this thread needs to close. cry baby nonsense over an end of the bench barely dressing for a game non role player. its ridiculous.

JaYnYcE

Benchwarmer
I'm hearing some buzz that JRjr will get his money and will most likely get cut once Tyler is healthy; where the Knicks will most likely send him to Erie.

skisloper

Starter
all I'm saying is we don't know why they kept smith. what I do know is who gives a rats ass who we keep at the depth of our bench. maybe the Knicks realize that Jr smith is undeniably critical to our success as he only viable second option who can create their own shot which is invaluable during.the playoffs. so maybe from a psychological emotional support stance Chris smith was the best signing we made if it helps Jr feel supported and mentally stable. I am almost positive that the team and coach agreed with the move as well because if it helps one of our best players it helps the team. this thread needs to close. cry baby nonsense over an end of the bench barely dressing for a game non role player. its ridiculous.

invaluable in the playoffs.....U are correct but for the opposing team,,,,,Nice watching JR lose his man in Indiana as the 24 second shot expired....Now we have his brother so he will be happier....lets also give him candy and smiley face stickers when he does well..

this is the NBA why do the Knicks have to be such morons

tiger0330

Legend
Skisloper - I thought you might want to read this. Just confirms what Knicks fans know about Dolan and the MSG front office and their 50 years of futility.

Jonathan Topaz said:
Cutting Jeremy Tyler, which the Knicks did on Friday, will likely have zero impact on the 2013-2014 season. Tyler has bounced around on the end of NBA benches, in the D-League and abroad. He is injured. He also, as Robert astutely points out, might rejoin the team very shortly, as it is unlikely that a team will bother to pick up a marginal, injured player.
In other words, in the grand scheme of things, Friday’s roster moves — in which the Knicks kept Chris Smith in favor of several clearly superior players, including Tyler and Ike Diogu – will likely prove irrelevant.
But in some ways, this is precisely the point. Friday was just the latest in a line of examples of an ownership that clearly doesn’t sweat the small stuff, a front office that doesn’t appreciate its assets or how tiny details can make an impact.
To illustrate the point, let’s throw out a few examples:
The Knicks bid against themselves to trade for Carmelo Anthony. I really, really don’t want to get into it. It’s obviously a trade you do again. But, after the deal, John Hollinger wrote, “Anthony became the first player in memory to issue a trade demand and then list one team that he’d accept a trade to.” The Knicks had the clear upper hand, yet ownership, transfixed by Anthony’s star power, threw in extra pieces almost at will to a leverage-less Nuggets team. What began as a deal centered around Wilson Chandler and a smaller, second piece turned into Danilo Gallinari, Timofey Mosgov, a first-round pick (in this year’s loaded draft), two second-rounders, $6 million in cash and exchanging Raymond Felton for Chauncey Billups. The same Billups whose onerous contract required the Knicks to amnesty him for the team to sign Tyson Chandler.
The Knicks trade three players and two second-round draft picks for Marcus Camby.Camby was 38 at the time of the deal.
The Knicks don’t attach a team option to Chris Copeland’s deal. Copeland was a 28-year-old rookie who bounced around Europe for years and had few, if any, NBA suitors. Don’t think that team option — a no-downside move that would have enabled the Knicks to keep Cope this year — would have been a dealbreaker for him.
The Knicks trade a first-round pick and two second-round picks in the Andrea Bargnani trade. Like the trade or not, like Bargnani or not — it doesn’t take 3 draft picks to get Raptors GM Masai Ujiri to say yes.
The Knicks cut Ike Diogu and Jeremy Tyler to keep Chris Smith.
These unnecessary add-ins, oversights and concessions are all small. But they point to a front office that has a track record of a reckless and cavalier attitude toward the tiny details. When you make enough of these decisions, one is bound to hurt, or at least a combination of these moves will. It’s just a late first-round pick. It’s just a 15[SUP]th[/SUP] man. It’s just a backup center. It’s just a guy who’s shown a bit of flash in the preseason. Sometimes, that perspective is important. But these decisions build up, and show clearly that ownership is far too flippant about draft picks and smaller assets.
The most successful and lauded franchises expressly care about this stuff. The Spurs are a model franchise because they run a player development system explicitly designed to maximize players’ strengths and minimize their flaws. San Antonio is a small market and, thanks to prolonged success, the team has had late-round draft picks for more than a decade. But they scour the league for overlooked players and second-round picks and take any small advantage they can get.
Some — even the vast majority — of those reclamation projects and extra assets the Spurs take on don’t work out. Most 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] round picks don’t turn into Manu Ginobili or DeJuan Blair. And most excuse-me trade thrown-ins don’t turn out to be, in the case of the Magic, Tobias Harris.
But some do. Anyone who watched second-round pick (46[SUP]th[/SUP] overall) and twice-cut Danny Green and undrafted Gary Neal wreak havoc on the Heat in Game 3 of the NBA Finals knows this.
Perhaps most tragically, the Knicks are exactly the type of team that should benefit on the margins. New York offers the biggest market in the country and is one of the most attractive places in the league to play. Rotation players like Metta World Peace and Beno Udrih take discounts to play for the team. The Knicks should seize an advantage on the margins of a salary-cap league, not lose one.
The Knicks begin their season tomorrow, and this will likely soon be forgotten. And maybe that’s healthier — basketball is fun, the Knicks will be good, Jeremy Tyler and Ike Diogu almost certainly won’t affect this season.
But know this: The best front offices understand that every asset has some value, potential or otherwise. The small stuff matters, and catches up to you eventually. The Knicks haven’t yet figured that out.