What do you think of Bargnani?

Broadway

All Star
Looks like MWP practiced with the starters today and Bargs with the second unit. Woody was non-committal about the starting lineup so MWP might be in the starting lineup for opening day instead of Bargs.

[GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson says he is toying with the idea of starting Metta World Peace over Andrea Bargnani in the season opener on Wednesday.

"I don't yet," the coach said Monday when asked about starting World Peace or Bargnani against the Bucks. "I really don't."

It's interesting that Woodson is still wrestling with his starting five just two days before the Knicks open the regular season.
The coach was committed to using Bargnani in the starting lineup throughout the preseason.

But he may have changed his mind because of Bargnani's shooting struggles -- the forward shot just 38 percent from the floor in seven preseason games. Or, Woodson may not want to reveal his starting five publicly. If he announced his starting lineup on Monday, Milwaukee would have two days to prepare.

Woodson said after Monday's scrimmage that it was hard to evaluate his starting lineup and reserve unit because Iman Shumpert (soreness) did not practice.

Shumpert is expected to start at shooting guard on Wednesday alongside Raymond Felton at point guard. Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler are expected to round out the Knicks' front line.

If World Peace starts against Milwaukee, that would allow Anthony to shift back to power forward.
Anthony won the 2012-13 scoring title playing primarily at power forward.If Bargnani ends up in the starting lineup, Anthony would shift to small forward, where he's played most often throughout his 10-year career.

Bargnani and World Peace have vastly different skill sets. Bargnani's known as a strong perimeter shooter but a weak defender; World Peace can guard the opponent's top forward and can knock down an open perimeter shot.

"With Bargnani, we can space the floor out; he causes some type of mismatches out there," Anthony said. "With Metta, he kind of brings that defensive mentality out on the basketball court, gets us going, gets the energy going in the game. We know what to expect from both them guys, what type of games that they have. (They are) totally two different type of games."

Woodson said on Sunday that Bargnani is still adjusting to life with the Knicks on both ends of the floor. In addition to his poor preseason shooting, Bargnani seemed to struggled with the Knicks' defensive concepts in the exhibition season.

The Knicks were outscored by 65 points in 170 minutes with Bargnani on the floor.

"I really believe Andrea can be a good team defender. My whole thing is it’s our job to help him," Tyson Chandler said. "Obviously, Metta does some incredible things individually as a defender but it’s our job to help guys that are not known to be defenders."

If World Peace starts, the Knicks could have an easier time getting stops. Woodson & Co. have mentioned several times that defense is a priority going into the regular season.
New York ranked 17th last year in points allowed per 100 possessions. Their stated goal is to be a top 10 defense this year.]

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/49231/woody-may-start-mwp-over-bargnani

metrocard

Legend
[GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson says he is toying with the idea of starting Metta World Peace over Andrea Bargnani in the season opener on Wednesday.

"I don't yet," the coach said Monday when asked about starting World Peace or Bargnani against the Bucks. "I really don't."

It's interesting that Woodson is still wrestling with his starting five just two days before the Knicks open the regular season.
The coach was committed to using Bargnani in the starting lineup throughout the preseason.

But he may have changed his mind because of Bargnani's shooting struggles -- the forward shot just 38 percent from the floor in seven preseason games. Or, Woodson may not want to reveal his starting five publicly. If he announced his starting lineup on Monday, Milwaukee would have two days to prepare.

Woodson said after Monday's scrimmage that it was hard to evaluate his starting lineup and reserve unit because Iman Shumpert (soreness) did not practice.

Shumpert is expected to start at shooting guard on Wednesday alongside Raymond Felton at point guard. Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler are expected to round out the Knicks' front line.

If World Peace starts against Milwaukee, that would allow Anthony to shift back to power forward.
Anthony won the 2012-13 scoring title playing primarily at power forward.If Bargnani ends up in the starting lineup, Anthony would shift to small forward, where he's played most often throughout his 10-year career.

Bargnani and World Peace have vastly different skill sets. Bargnani's known as a strong perimeter shooter but a weak defender; World Peace can guard the opponent's top forward and can knock down an open perimeter shot.

"With Bargnani, we can space the floor out; he causes some type of mismatches out there," Anthony said. "With Metta, he kind of brings that defensive mentality out on the basketball court, gets us going, gets the energy going in the game. We know what to expect from both them guys, what type of games that they have. (They are) totally two different type of games."

Woodson said on Sunday that Bargnani is still adjusting to life with the Knicks on both ends of the floor. In addition to his poor preseason shooting, Bargnani seemed to struggled with the Knicks' defensive concepts in the exhibition season.

The Knicks were outscored by 65 points in 170 minutes with Bargnani on the floor.

"I really believe Andrea can be a good team defender. My whole thing is it’s our job to help him," Tyson Chandler said. "Obviously, Metta does some incredible things individually as a defender but it’s our job to help guys that are not known to be defenders."

If World Peace starts, the Knicks could have an easier time getting stops. Woodson & Co. have mentioned several times that defense is a priority going into the regular season.
New York ranked 17th last year in points allowed per 100 possessions. Their stated goal is to be a top 10 defense this year.]

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/49231/woody-may-start-mwp-over-bargnani

tumblr_mrjuwl65T81rm63dwo1_500.jpg

I'm all for World Peace starting.

knicksince 93

Rotation player
Then Grunny was an EPIC failure as a gm...a gm many of you wanted to laud as legit because you felt he was strapped financially making great off-season signings.

Well who brought those players here?

This also suggest it makes no sense to pay Melo $26-28mil/yr because obviously you need to surround him with Olympic Team type talent or have enough cap space and large enough exceptions to pay premium dollars for better role players.

I'll let your side of the argument twist yourselves into pretzels, trying to have it both ways.

They surrounded him with vets they thought would thrive in the playoffs when the pressure was turnt up. Unfortunately they didn't. How is that melos fault? When what he did worked for him and his teammates in the reg season.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Broadway

All Star
They surrounded him with vets they thought would thrive in the playoffs when the pressure was turnt up. Unfortunately they didn't. How is that melos fault? When what he did worked for him and his teammates in the reg season.

Because regular season is fools gold being that it's produced the same results in his 12yr career.

Are you gonna sit in front of your computer with a straight face and lie through cyberspace that every GM and player has failed Melo during such time?

PO-LICE!!!!!

never said we boasted a better front court. I just made the case that the heat have a perimeter driven pf and no center. albeit they have the best player in the world. but the bottom line is we could have beaten the Pacers if we made shots. not because of our lack of big men. it was excruciatingly horrid to watch how many wide open shots we missed that series. the one game we made shots we blew them out. let's face it. the pressure got to them last year and we couldn't rely on other things to compensate. I entirely blame our second round exit on Jr smith. as valuable as he was all season his disappearance was irreconcilable and he should have been benched.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

as far as melo the NBA is a timing league. Its all about right place right time. melo in many other scenarios would have won a title by now. unfortunately he hasn't had that right time and place situation. for all we do to laud durants ability he is yet to win it all and if westbrook never fully comes back the same player he may end up 29 like melo as a scoring freak with no chip. we love Durant but people quickly forget what this league is based on. if lebron stays in clv does he have two titles? only one player in the last ten or so titles do I give individual respect for winning with only solid role players and great coaching. every other player won because there was two or more other stars picking up the slack. doing what melo is forced to do is extremely difficult. the fact they won 54 games last year with all the flaws in the world as a roster proves how truly good he is. you can't argue with it at all. you don't win it all in this league without a ridiculous supporting cast. and that's all there is to it. d rose is in a similar situation where he just doesn't have that true blue second option who can take over. Deng is solid but doesn't have the mentality to do work like a wade.

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Chandler is the key to Bargnani's success. I think they could work together, and Bargnani's defence inabilities will not be as pronounced. I liked Bargnani putting the ball on the floor. He is an excellent free throw shooter. Not only that, his passing is excellent and I expect Melo and Shump to benefit from some open looks.

Kiyaman

Legend
Jason kidd, felton, Tyson, and jr all played sub par. Those are role players and when the star is struggling you step up. They didn't do that hence the blame on them. Its not all melos fault its not even mostly his fault as to his play in addition to the role players play got us there. During the season when he played bad they stepped up. Didn't do it in the pacers series. The pacers have become the measuring stick because the team last year would have trashed the heat. They were last in guarding the 3 we were first in shooting them. Indy was first in guarding them therefore we struggled. Indy isn't better then mia but our match up with mia is much more favorable

WOW! u can use this same EXCUSE in everyone of Carmelo Anthony NBA career in the postseason games.
Especially, the 2009-10 postseason loss vs Utah in the first-round, having the same roster that took Melo to the WCF in the 2008-9 season.
Funny, because the Utah first-round win over the Denver Nuggets in 2009-10, swelled-up PG-Deron Williams head to where Deron announce after the series win "he was the best PG in the NBA". LOL
Making Utah HC Sloan wantin to slap some sense into Deron swelling-head for not seeing the Denver team did not come-out to win. Utah got SWEPT in the next round by old-man PG-Derrik Fisher... ha ha ha LOL
was on Deron Williams...

Kiyaman

Legend
Quote Originally Posted by NY POST

Three Bold Predictions

- Andrea Bargnani will not rebound enough or play the kind of team and transition defense to keep him in starting lineup. Expect coach Mike Woodson to turn to Metta World Peace around midseason and have Carmelo Anthony back at power forward.

- Combo guard Toure’ Murry will turn into a sparkplug/fan favorite. Filling the role Chris Copeland did last season, Murry will eventually crack the Knicks’ rotation permanently.
- Carmelo Anthony doesn’t win scoring title. He will, however, have his best season on the boards and on the defensive end.

I will ask again .. Do we have to give D.League Bargani playingtime this season?
Didnt we DEMOTE the GM to the back of the office to a cubicle-space for making this trade???

knicksince 93

Rotation player
WOW! u can use this same EXCUSE in everyone of Carmelo Anthony NBA career in the postseason games.
Especially, the 2009-10 postseason loss vs Utah in the first-round, having the same roster that took Melo to the WCF in the 2008-9 season.
Funny, because the Utah first-round win over the Denver Nuggets in 2009-10, swelled-up PG-Deron Williams head to where Deron announce after the series win "he was the best PG in the NBA". LOL
Making Utah HC Sloan wantin to slap some sense into Deron swelling-head for not seeing the Denver team did not come-out to win. Utah got SWEPT in the next round by old-man PG-Derrik Fisher... ha ha ha LOL
was on Deron Williams...

Huh???

clumsy

Rotation player
After ZaZa backed him down yesterday and hit the fade in his face in the 1st quarter i gave up all hope on this dude.

He does help Melo with spacing, but man is his defense abysmal. He also can't rebound for anything, i really have no idea how he has been in the league so long....A big with SG skills in a Center's body?

bigapple

Starter
anyway i still got my own word he is way better than Novak in this trade. He will be play alot more time Novak was mostly playing garbage time in blow out games of just 4-5 minutes total in intense games.

petescud

Starter
Bargs needs to work on his game....if he wants to he can be a good player. He must had been lazy this summer and not practiced much

Red

TYPE-A
never said we boasted a better front court. I just made the case that the heat have a perimeter driven pf and no center. albeit they have the best player in the world. but the bottom line is we could have beaten the Pacers if we made shots. not because of our lack of big men. it was excruciatingly horrid to watch how many wide open shots we missed that series. the one game we made shots we blew them out. let's face it. the pressure got to them last year and we couldn't rely on other things to compensate. I entirely blame our second round exit on Jr smith. as valuable as he was all season his disappearance was irreconcilable and he should have been benched.

I see things different.

Our demise began when coach made the same mistakes D'antoni does; he decided to make Melo a 4, and went with small-ball.

This in effect played right into a team like IND hand. In effect we neutered ourselves based on the dumb toni notion that
1. Offense trumps defense
2. Coach is smart enough to reinvent the wheel

Lets look at our 5 players and what happens when 1 is out of position.

Felton can't be relied on to guard his man
Pablo/Kidd can't be relied on to guard 2's
Shump off surgery isn't and can't effectively guard 3's
As Metro said Melo can't guard the 4
That leaves TC. Offensively he was useless and
seems to catch "the flu" 10x's a year!

So tell me who is left to play D? When a Lance Stevenson runs through us in the fashion he did... Where was this defensive coach he was billed as? Just like D'antoni he talked the talk but couldnt show and prove. ALL he proved was he thought the 3 would win it for us. As Duke said. . You live by the 3 you die by it. Do you think it was a coincidence we lead the league in 3's after Mda left? Nope.

KingCharles34

All Star
It looked like Bargnyawny was startin to get going in the 2nd half of the Bulls game. Aside from that hes been a disappointing piece of trash. We really need him to step up and score some points. Our offense has looked really bad so far but we also gotta keep in mind that at least as of last year the Bulls and Bucks were 2 of the better teams defensively and we're missing JR Smith

And although Bargn's shot has been terrrble teams are still respecting him so he is helping us stretch the floor. If he can just start hittin them open shots I wouldnt have a problem with him

Fat Elvis

Benchwarmer
I know tonight was just one game, but he showed why we went out and got him. Don't forget, all we did was trade Novak for him. Let's see if he can be consistent at all.

tiger0330

Legend
I know tonight was just one game, but he showed why we went out and got him. Don't forget, all we did was trade Novak for him. Let's see if he can be consistent at all.
It was never about the players we gave up, it's those picks esp. that 2016 first rounder which may go to Denver since they can swap pics with us that year and Toronto may get Denvers pick. He'll get a chance to prove himself after last night, with TC out he'll be the starting 5 and will play big minutes and in crunch time. Heres hoping he becomes a star.

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Barg is a tipical europian finesse skilled offensive player. If we compare him to Novak, i think Barg is 10 times better. Novak was a pure shooter, probably better 3 point shooter, but he couldnt create his own shot, rebound or block shots. He was very week physically and was owned by opposition easily. On the other hand, Barg, even though he is not a physical specimen, he can hold his own against other players, can create his own shot, rebound, block shots, run the floor very well for a tall player. He proved it yesterday vs Bobcats. He just needs to stay agressive. If he continues to play like that,then we have pretty good offence going with him, Melo and JR.
Woody has to, no he must demand from everybody to share the ball, move it to find the open man. No forcing shots.
As i said before, we have very good offensive and difensive players. The only weekness of this team is the coach and the point guard.
Untill we bring The real coach and the real point guard, i dont see us winning anything. Unfortunately.