Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of Bargnani?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by DontForgetDerekHarper
    in truth the only team we won't compete well against is the Pacers because they truly are one of the last teams in the NBA that boast a legitimate front court. with that being said we almost beat them last year if we didn't forget how to make open jump shots the heat won the championship last year with bosh as their pf avg 6.6 Reb a game and no center. the spurs starting center of splitter made it to finals avg less rebounds than that with Duncan as their only low post presence. point is the league is different. I think we will fare well with melo bargs amare metta and k mart shifting at the pf with chandler at center. that's honestly better than alot of winning teams it you map it all out on paper.

people seemingly forget that we didn't lose to the Pacers last year because of our front court. we lost because we couldn't make 20+ some what wide open jump shots every single game after going up 3-0 on the Celts. we shot approximately 30% from the field.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Bosh plays needs to LeBron and Wade who average rebounds pretty well at their position and have a lot of guys who can come off the bench and rebound. Bosh isn't a bad rebounder himself, so lets understand this.

Tiago Splitter is a very good center. He can pass, defend, rebound and has ability offensively. You may to further research him.

Melo is good, but he isn't a PF. He doesn't rebound or block enough shots to play in the interior.

Defensively, it's not his position. Offensively, he has somewhat a speed and skill advantage.

Metta is a SF, out of position.

Martin and Amare are the only real PF's on the team, they're both C level players.

Spurs, Warriors, Bulls, Pacers, Nets, Clippers, Rockets, Grizzlies and T'Wolves easily have a better front court.

Superstar

Originally Posted by knicksince 93
    Jason kidd, felton, Tyson, and jr all played sub par. Those are role players and when the star is struggling you step up. They didn't do that hence the blame on them. Its not all melos fault its not even mostly his fault as to his play in addition to the role players play got us there. During the season when he played bad they stepped up. Didn't do it in the pacers series. The pacers have become the measuring stick because the team last year would have trashed the heat. They were last in guarding the 3 we were first in shooting them. Indy was first in guarding them therefore we struggled. Indy isn't better then mia but our match up with mia is much more favorable

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Then Grunny was an EPIC failure as a gm...a gm many of you wanted to laud as legit because you felt he was strapped financially making great off-season signings.

Well who brought those players here?

This also suggest it makes no sense to pay Melo $26-28mil/yr because obviously you need to surround him with Olympic Team type talent or have enough cap space and large enough exceptions to pay premium dollars for better role players.

I'll let your side of the argument twist yourselves into pretzels, trying to have it both ways.

Veteran

This was in the NY Post. Not sure if the 1st prediction is that bold, I think it's pretty obvious and I don't think it will be mid-season if the Knicks play below .500 in Dec. I just mentioned Toure Murry in that Crazy8 video thread that I liked his business like reaction to that 45 ft. 3 pointer he made, I think he's an assassin in the making.

Originally Posted by NY POST

Three Bold Predictions

- Andrea Bargnani will not rebound enough or play the kind of team and transition defense to keep him in starting lineup. Expect coach Mike Woodson to turn to Metta World Peace around midseason and have Carmelo Anthony back at power forward.

- Combo guard Toure’ Murry will turn into a sparkplug/fan favorite. Filling the role Chris Copeland did last season, Murry will eventually crack the Knicks’ rotation permanently.
    - Carmelo Anthony doesn’t win scoring title. He will, however, have his best season on the boards and on the defensive end.
    Last edited by tiger0330; Oct 28, 2013 at 17:43.

Veteran

Looks like MWP practiced with the starters today and Bargs with the second unit. Woody was non-committal about the starting lineup so MWP might be in the starting lineup for opening day instead of Bargs.

Veteran

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    Looks like MWP practiced with the starters today and Bargs with the second unit. Woody was non-committal about the starting lineup so MWP might be in the starting lineup for opening day instead of Bargs.

As it should be. Metta should be in the starting kine-up.
    Felton
    Shump
    Metta
    Melo
    Chandler

Prigs
    JR
    Bargiani
    Amare

Superstar

Originally Posted by tiger0330
    [GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson says he is toying with the idea of starting Metta World Peace over Andrea Bargnani in the season opener on Wednesday.

"I don't yet," the coach said Monday when asked about starting World Peace or Bargnani against the Bucks. "I really don't."

It's interesting that Woodson is still wrestling with his starting five just two days before the Knicks open the regular season.
    The coach was committed to using Bargnani in the starting lineup throughout the preseason.

But he may have changed his mind because of Bargnani's shooting struggles -- the forward shot just 38 percent from the floor in seven preseason games. Or, Woodson may not want to reveal his starting five publicly. If he announced his starting lineup on Monday, Milwaukee would have two days to prepare.

Woodson said after Monday's scrimmage that it was hard to evaluate his starting lineup and reserve unit because Iman Shumpert (soreness) did not practice.

Shumpert is expected to start at shooting guard on Wednesday alongside Raymond Felton at point guard. Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler are expected to round out the Knicks' front line.

If World Peace starts against Milwaukee, that would allow Anthony to shift back to power forward.
    Anthony won the 2012-13 scoring title playing primarily at power forward.If Bargnani ends up in the starting lineup, Anthony would shift to small forward, where he's played most often throughout his 10-year career.

Bargnani and World Peace have vastly different skill sets. Bargnani's known as a strong perimeter shooter but a weak defender; World Peace can guard the opponent's top forward and can knock down an open perimeter shot.

"With Bargnani, we can space the floor out; he causes some type of mismatches out there," Anthony said. "With Metta, he kind of brings that defensive mentality out on the basketball court, gets us going, gets the energy going in the game. We know what to expect from both them guys, what type of games that they have. (They are) totally two different type of games."

Woodson said on Sunday that Bargnani is still adjusting to life with the Knicks on both ends of the floor. In addition to his poor preseason shooting, Bargnani seemed to struggled with the Knicks' defensive concepts in the exhibition season.

The Knicks were outscored by 65 points in 170 minutes with Bargnani on the floor.

"I really believe Andrea can be a good team defender. My whole thing is it’s our job to help him," Tyson Chandler said. "Obviously, Metta does some incredible things individually as a defender but it’s our job to help guys that are not known to be defenders."

If World Peace starts, the Knicks could have an easier time getting stops. Woodson & Co. have mentioned several times that defense is a priority going into the regular season.
    New York ranked 17th last year in points allowed per 100 possessions. Their stated goal is to be a top 10 defense this year.]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    [GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Mike Woodson says he is toying with the idea of starting Metta World Peace over Andrea Bargnani in the season opener on Wednesday.

"I don't yet," the coach said Monday when asked about starting World Peace or Bargnani against the Bucks. "I really don't."

It's interesting that Woodson is still wrestling with his starting five just two days before the Knicks open the regular season.
    The coach was committed to using Bargnani in the starting lineup throughout the preseason.

But he may have changed his mind because of Bargnani's shooting struggles -- the forward shot just 38 percent from the floor in seven preseason games. Or, Woodson may not want to reveal his starting five publicly. If he announced his starting lineup on Monday, Milwaukee would have two days to prepare.

Woodson said after Monday's scrimmage that it was hard to evaluate his starting lineup and reserve unit because Iman Shumpert (soreness) did not practice.

Shumpert is expected to start at shooting guard on Wednesday alongside Raymond Felton at point guard. Carmelo Anthony and Tyson Chandler are expected to round out the Knicks' front line.

If World Peace starts against Milwaukee, that would allow Anthony to shift back to power forward.
    Anthony won the 2012-13 scoring title playing primarily at power forward.If Bargnani ends up in the starting lineup, Anthony would shift to small forward, where he's played most often throughout his 10-year career.

Bargnani and World Peace have vastly different skill sets. Bargnani's known as a strong perimeter shooter but a weak defender; World Peace can guard the opponent's top forward and can knock down an open perimeter shot.

"With Bargnani, we can space the floor out; he causes some type of mismatches out there," Anthony said. "With Metta, he kind of brings that defensive mentality out on the basketball court, gets us going, gets the energy going in the game. We know what to expect from both them guys, what type of games that they have. (They are) totally two different type of games."

Woodson said on Sunday that Bargnani is still adjusting to life with the Knicks on both ends of the floor. In addition to his poor preseason shooting, Bargnani seemed to struggled with the Knicks' defensive concepts in the exhibition season.

The Knicks were outscored by 65 points in 170 minutes with Bargnani on the floor.

"I really believe Andrea can be a good team defender. My whole thing is it’s our job to help him," Tyson Chandler said. "Obviously, Metta does some incredible things individually as a defender but it’s our job to help guys that are not known to be defenders."

If World Peace starts, the Knicks could have an easier time getting stops. Woodson & Co. have mentioned several times that defense is a priority going into the regular season.
    New York ranked 17th last year in points allowed per 100 possessions. Their stated goal is to be a top 10 defense this year.]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm all for World Peace starting.

He's a Knick. I love him. When he is no longer a Knick. EFF him...Go Bargnani. Go Knicks...

Superstar

Originally Posted by 3G4G
    Then Grunny was an EPIC failure as a gm...a gm many of you wanted to laud as legit because you felt he was strapped financially making great off-season signings.

Well who brought those players here?

This also suggest it makes no sense to pay Melo $26-28mil/yr because obviously you need to surround him with Olympic Team type talent or have enough cap space and large enough exceptions to pay premium dollars for better role players.

I'll let your side of the argument twist yourselves into pretzels, trying to have it both ways.
    They surrounded him with vets they thought would thrive in the playoffs when the pressure was turnt up. Unfortunately they didn't. How is that melos fault? When what he did worked for him and his teammates in the reg season.

Superstar

They surrounded him with vets they thought would thrive in the playoffs when the pressure was turnt up. Unfortunately they didn't. How is that melos fault? When what he did worked for him and his teammates in the reg season.

Because regular season is fools gold being that it's produced the same results in his 12yr career.

Are you gonna sit in front of your computer with a straight face and lie through cyberspace that every GM and player has failed Melo during such time?

PO-LICE!!!!!

never said we boasted a better front court. I just made the case that the heat have a perimeter driven pf and no center. albeit they have the best player in the world. but the bottom line is we could have beaten the Pacers if we made shots. not because of our lack of big men. it was excruciatingly horrid to watch how many wide open shots we missed that series. the one game we made shots we blew them out. let's face it. the pressure got to them last year and we couldn't rely on other things to compensate. I entirely blame our second round exit on Jr smith. as valuable as he was all season his disappearance was irreconcilable and he should have been benched.

as far as melo the NBA is a timing league. Its all about right place right time. melo in many other scenarios would have won a title by now. unfortunately he hasn't had that right time and place situation. for all we do to laud durants ability he is yet to win it all and if westbrook never fully comes back the same player he may end up 29 like melo as a scoring freak with no chip. we love Durant but people quickly forget what this league is based on. if lebron stays in clv does he have two titles? only one player in the last ten or so titles do I give individual respect for winning with only solid role players and great coaching. every other player won because there was two or more other stars picking up the slack. doing what melo is forced to do is extremely difficult. the fact they won 54 games last year with all the flaws in the world as a roster proves how truly good he is. you can't argue with it at all. you don't win it all in this league without a ridiculous supporting cast. and that's all there is to it. d rose is in a similar situation where he just doesn't have that true blue second option who can take over. Deng is solid but doesn't have the mentality to do work like a wade.

Chandler is the key to Bargnani's success. I think they could work together, and Bargnani's defence inabilities will not be as pronounced. I liked Bargnani putting the ball on the floor. He is an excellent free throw shooter. Not only that, his passing is excellent and I expect Melo and Shump to benefit from some open looks.

Veteran

Jason kidd, felton, Tyson, and jr all played sub par. Those are role players and when the star is struggling you step up. They didn't do that hence the blame on them. Its not all melos fault its not even mostly his fault as to his play in addition to the role players play got us there. During the season when he played bad they stepped up. Didn't do it in the pacers series. The pacers have become the measuring stick because the team last year would have trashed the heat. They were last in guarding the 3 we were first in shooting them. Indy was first in guarding them therefore we struggled. Indy isn't better then mia but our match up with mia is much more favorable

WOW! u can use this same EXCUSE in everyone of Carmelo Anthony NBA career in the postseason games.
    Especially, the 2009-10 postseason loss vs Utah in the first-round, having the same roster that took Melo to the WCF in the 2008-9 season.
    Funny, because the Utah first-round win over the Denver Nuggets in 2009-10, swelled-up PG-Deron Williams head to where Deron announce after the series win "he was the best PG in the NBA". LOL
    Making Utah HC Sloan wantin to slap some sense into Deron swelling-head for not seeing the Denver team did not come-out to win. Utah got SWEPT in the next round by old-man PG-Derrik Fisher... ha ha ha LOL
    was on Deron Williams...

Veteran

Question Mark

Quote Originally Posted by NY POST

Three Bold Predictions

- Andrea Bargnani will not rebound enough or play the kind of team and transition defense to keep him in starting lineup. Expect coach Mike Woodson to turn to Metta World Peace around midseason and have Carmelo Anthony back at power forward.

- Combo guard Toure’ Murry will turn into a sparkplug/fan favorite. Filling the role Chris Copeland did last season, Murry will eventually crack the Knicks’ rotation permanently.
    - Carmelo Anthony doesn’t win scoring title. He will, however, have his best season on the boards and on the defensive end.
    I will ask again .. Do we have to give D.League Bargani playingtime this season?
    Didnt we DEMOTE the GM to the back of the office to a cubicle-space for making this trade???