Dolan Expects Knicks To Win It All Now!!!!!

Broadway

All Star
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...w-york-knicks-owner-expects-championship-year

[[[[[NEW YORK -- Not many pundits believe the New York Knicks can win the NBA title this season.
But team owner and Madison Square Garden executive chairman James Dolan expects them to do so.

In a recent meeting with the coaching staff and some team executives, Dolan said he believes the Knicks have enough talent to win a title and that he expects them to do so this season, league sources with knowledge of the owner's message during the meeting confirmed.

"He told them he believes they have enough talent to win it all," one source said, "and he expects it to happen this year."

The Knicks won 54 games last season, finished in second place in the Eastern Conference and won a playoff series for the first time in 13 years.
But many teams in the upper crust of the conference improved in the offseason.

The Chicago Bulls have 2010-11 league MVP Derrick Rose back after he missed last season following ACL surgery. The Brooklyn Nets added veterans Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett to a deep roster, and the Indiana Pacers -- who defeated the Knicks in the second round of the playoffs -- added Luis Scola and expect to have forward Danny Granger back.

Due largely to salary cap restrictions, the Knicks had a quiet offseason relative to those teams. They added 7-foot sharpshooter Andrea Bargnani, re-signed reigning Sixth Man Award winner J.R. Smith and signed free agents Metta World Peace and Beno Udrih.

Based on those offseason moves, many NBA pundits predict that the Knicks will finish no higher than fifth in the East.
That's why, according to sources, Dolan's expectations left some staffers in the meeting with an uneasy feeling.

"A few people were a bit surprised, taken aback. But he's the owner. He has a right to expect it," one source said.

The meeting was first reported by the New York Daily News.
It's certainly understandable that Dolan would expect New York to win a title this season. The Knicks, who last won it all in 1973, have the second-highest payroll in the league behind the Nets, according to basketball-reference.com.

Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov, incidentally, expects his team to win it all this season as well.
For what it's worth, Knicks coach Mike Woodson has said several times that he thinks the Knicks have enough talent to compete for a title. But Dolan's expectation could put additional pressure on the coach, the players and team executives this season.

An added layer to Dolan's title expectation is that the owner wanted to employ younger players at the end of the roster.
According to sources with knowledge of the team's thinking, Dolan directed the front office to keep younger players with the final roster spots so that they can develop within the organization.

Some members of the team's hierarchy had hoped to keep veteran players in the last three roster spots, particularly if the expectation is for the Knicks to win now.

Ultimately, New York kept three training camp invitees on the 15-man roster: 23-year-old guard Toure' Murry, 26-year-old guard Chris Smith, the younger brother of J.R. Smith, and 24-year-old center Cole Aldrich. They cut 30-year-old veteran forwards Ike Diogu and Josh Powell.]]]]]

Broadway

All Star
A little too late to be beating the "Win Now" drum. This is what he should have publicly revealed when he traded for Carmelo Anthony. I remember when the trade went down...for what we gave up...... I said "3 Peat or Bust" and I meant it to the degree that we should be legitimately contending every yr-the trade's inception.... and we haven't.

You see Dolan now realizes how important it is to have young assets, to maintain longevity and/or rebuild properly. Too bad we spent a decade of throwing them away with no definitive plan or reason for doing so.

It's not going to end well and when it does....this time I hope Dolan makes heads roll top to bottom showing he truly is an exec that cares. I guess he has to start somewhere...shoulda, coulda, woulda,... as the saying goes.

Last edited:

tiger0330

Legend
You guys should read the article I posted in the Chris Smith made the team thread. Metro liked it so much he said I should start a new thread for it, basically it faults the management or the lack of it compared to organizations like the Spurs and OKC. Miami took care of business against the Bulls yesterday and they did it easy, I don't think any of the starters played 30 minutes, balanced scoring across the board because they're able tto get good role players like Ray Allan and Battier while we get has beens and never was players like Bargnani. What we need this season is 3 pt shooting, that is a big weapon for Miami and Novak and Cope aren't here any longer so JR, Melo, Felton, Shump and Hardaway have to step up.

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
With a healthy Amare we could have a chance... but right now we look terrible at the four; overpaid and useless Bargnani and Amare + K-Mart who are about to alternate games and stay on a strict minute limitation. Also, we have pretty much no backup at the center position. I also ain't sure about our PGs, they're solid, but it's too far from championship caliber players.

Broadway

All Star
With a healthy Amare we could have a chance... but right now we look terrible at the four; overpaid and useless Bargnani and Amare + K-Mart who are about to alternate games and stay on a strict minute limitation. Also, we have pretty much no backup at the center position. I also ain't sure about our PGs, they're solid, but it's too far from championship caliber players.

I keep hearing fans say "If Amar'e was healthy"....well let's keep it real a healthy Amar'e doesn't REBOUND or play DEFENSE...So NO! We wouldn't have a chance. Even when he managed to get on the floor relatively healthy he and Melo didn't mesh consistently well with Tyson.

Not to mention Amar'e's health issues were documented and known well before we paid $100mil, therefore the "If Amar'e was healthy" doesn't fly.

I could easily say "If we didn't sign Amar'e, not traded for Carmelo and held on to our assets we'd have a chance." I mean what does "have a chance" really mean? It's such a vanilla rationalization.

Broadway

All Star
You guys should read the article I posted in the Chris Smith made the team thread. Metro liked it so much he said I should start a new thread for it, basically it faults the management or the lack of it compared to organizations like the Spurs and OKC. Miami took care of business against the Bulls yesterday and they did it easy, I don't think any of the starters played 30 minutes, balanced scoring across the board because they're able tto get good role players like Ray Allan and Battier while we get has beens and never was players like Bargnani. What we need this season is 3 pt shooting, that is a big weapon for Miami and Novak and Cope aren't here any longer so JR, Melo, Felton, Shump and Hardaway have to step up.

Yes I saw your post, good stuff. I wish you had a link with it. The main thing that struck home in the article...the Spurs managed/maximized their assets when they already established a foundation and a winning culture. Basically coming to reason just because we're contenders/champions/dynasty doesn't mean we have to devalue/squander what's left of what we have, to move forward. They used them to add to the foundation making it stronger.

What we did.... was not establish a solid foundation, producing mediocre win-loss results.... while dumping every future asset in the fold.

So Bass Ackwards!!!!!

Last edited:

skisloper

Starter
Yes I saw your post, good stuff. I wish you had a link with it. The main thing that struck home in the article...the Spurs managed/maximized their assets when they already established a foundation and a winning culture. Basically coming to reason just because we're contenders/champions/dynasty doesn't mean we have to devalue/squander what's left of what we have, to move forward. They used to them to add to the foundation making it stronger.

What we did.... was not establish a solid foundation, producing mediocre win-loss results.... while dumping every future asset in the fold.

So Bass Ackwards!!!!!
DOLAN will always choose a team that contends in their divison rather then biting the bullet and rebuilding.............No need for our draft picks because thats for the future...Dolan runs the knicks as a year to year design and anything before that year or after that year is irrelevant in his thinking............DOLAN will sign MELO to a max 130 million dollar contract and feel like he beat out every other team to do it.....sad for us fans because KNICKS only win a title if we get LUCKY not because of strategy or planned moves.

Kiyaman

Legend
uh oh .. Mike Woodson's job is in jeopardy a month after receiving a extension (he need Amare & K-Mart now).

Someone told Dolan, "on the 3rd year of paying a BIG-3 salary, plus Bargs $10M, u should be in the ECF".
I dont think Dolan was joking...

Kiyaman

Legend
Im still not sold .. WTF made Dolan have such high-expectation to make that statement to Knicks-Brass, and coaching-staff?
Dolan never made a statement like that under GM Layden $100M salary-cap, or GM Isiah $100M salary cap.
Why now???

Does Dolan want to play GM again? so he could strip the Knicks naked like the poor LOTTERY Milluakie Bucks did this offseason by changing management, changing coaching-staff, and changing all the players. The Bucks will be lucky to win 20 games this season.
Remember in 2015-16 season Dolan will only have Prigioni & Shump salary locked.

petescud

Starter
Tell you what. So far seems a few east teams who were written off already (Celtics and 76ers) look pretty good so far....scary, especially since these 2 teams have cap room

KingCharles34

All Star
Delusional....

We gotta good team and Ill be happy if we can make it back to the 2nd round. But I got the Heat, Pacers, and Bulls ahead of us. And probably the Nets too but I dont think the Nets are as good as those other 3 teams. We might be on their level.

Adding KG and Pierce doesnt completely wipe away the memory of the Bulls with half their team missing beating the Nets in the 1st round last year.

Does Dolan watch the Knicks or just skim through the games?

petescud

Starter
I blame terrible end game coaching on the Bulls loss the other day...I think we are every bit as good as the Bulls. If we win that game, the Bulls would be 0-3 right now, and we'd be 2-0