10/31/13: New York Knicks @ Chicago Bulls (8:00 pm)

petescud

Starter
I was begging for Hardaway Jr. to get the ball.

call me crazy, but i thought the same thing....and guess what, that wouldn't had been expected...When Melo took that shot it reminded me another guard we had that blew a championship ..back in the day..he was off all game too

On a side note, i think we are as good as the Bulls....though i think we'd play the Heat better then they did

Last edited:

mafra

Legend
Carmelo was brutal in the 4th yesterday and followed that up with another choke job tonight. I understand his thinking to some extent - because he has so much faith in his ability to shoot - that it's better to stay outside where he has space/separation, as posed to going down low where he's surely to get hacked (and he'll never got the call).

But he fails to realize he misses these "game-on-the-line" shots far more often than he hits one. He may be one of the best at doing it, but we're still talking 33% or something. In baseball those may be good odds....

For the most part, he has himself to blame because he constantly cries foul to the refs, and this distracts him. Arguing calls isn't professional and it does nothing to help you get a call later... So why foolishly belabor the fact?

Also, he is a big forward. Ergo, of course guards get the call more bc of the simple style differences (how they attack the rim).

Carmelo still doesn't get it. His best bet in these situations is a quick, decisive first step attacking basket or defender. Just like what Rose did. Do not let defense set, and cause your base to get stationary. And stop settling! Take the pass and attack. But he isn't coordinated like a guard, or can he handle ball or his control his body. He knows a turnover, charge, no-call or something bad is the likely outcome.

I can live with the shot he took at end of game though. It was an open look. He choked. I think the previous 4 touches though were a disgrace. Another turnover in a clutch situation. I absolutely hate those spin corner fadeaway jumpers.

Bottom line, Anthony has been ice cold both games and when it got down to it in these fourth quarters... He takes the easy way out and pulls up for jumpers. Carmelo is a streaky shooter. It's not like he is a pure shooter. I don't want him take long range shots with the game on the line.

i think Dolan released those expectations as a shot at Carmelo tho. Meaning if he cannot deliver this season, with his best team yet, then he can opt out and run.... Because he won't be worth a max contract as he enters his thirties. Worst thing for the Knicks is to be a second round team for 4 years. I agree too.

Last year things broke perfectly for this team to get to Eastern Conf Finals. Melo couldn't deliver.

And the idiot starts out this campaign by opening his big mouth, talking nonsense about free agency? How dumb can a guy be? Did the weight of that impact his performance the last 48 hours? Let's face it, when Rose is in top form again, Bulls will be blowing us out by 25 points.

i admit the officials were terrible again. Phantom travel on Anthony took 2 points away, Felton never got a call while Kirk gets to the line if you blew on him. That Reach-in foul on CHi shouldn't have been called b/c it spoiled a NYk fast break. That cost us 2 points.

... and Woodson was awful again with his rotation and lack of any semblance of coaching down the stretch.

What we've learned is we are not good enough to beat MIA, InDY or Chi in a 7 game series. We have no answer in the half court set except ISO to Melo, which doesn't work. We will never get calls from refs, and our coach crumbles when we need him most. Expecting the results to change when you deploy the same strategy is insane. It's exactly why Woody and Melo have been disasters in the playoffs. Basketball is all about movement. You get stagnant, you lose.

Sure, we'll win 48-52 games. If we get a top 3 seed, we probably win a playoff series. Then it will all come crumbling down. Shump will never be more than a tease, STAT is done.

i so hope I am wrong. I hope Bargs and JR are enough to compliment Melo, and that Felton and TC stay healthy and that Shump and Hardaway become stars. And that Melo goes DIRK for us and has a miraculous run come June. But, if it were my money, If we lose in the first or second round again and Melo opts out.... I don't give him the max. I let him walk. He will look like a fool, for forcing himself out of Denver to come here and then running away. I let him walk. I suck for a season, get a top pick and clear the payroll and reset everything.

I am just tired of this Melo-drama. It's ugly basketball. And he's just not that good. And even if he were a top 10 player in the NBA, he still needs a sidekick. We do not have a second star. We don't even have a third star. We have some good players.... But that's not enough.

It's the Ewing era all over again. The early 90s. We know CHI, Indy and MIA are going to best us... We watch anyway.... But no matter what happens the next 80 games.... We know it's coming. Melo goes ice cold in June. 6-23. Clank, brick, and then we go home.

Last edited:

petescud

Starter
Your right...I live in Florida now, and i see the Heat play quite a bit. Not a fan, though i respect the tandem of LBJ and Wade. They both make the players around them better. And the heat play ball movement bb, aside from their amazing alley oops. I wish we could swing the ball more and rely less on 1 player. My favorite plays these days is a TC alley oop. lol

mafra

Legend
BBall all is all about ball movement, what Melo-ball resembles is game of horse on the playground.

I do like how we are taking less threes this season, and Melo stuffed the stat sheet. Steaks, assists, rebounds and all.

But... You cannot have a PF run the offense... This is what guards do.

Melo will have to stay on blocks or attack the hoop and live with not getting calls. If he accepts it, doesn't complain, things will begin to sway his way.

In all seriousness, it was Shump who was flat out dreadful tonight. Forces way too much. And where was Udrih?

theknicks3

Benchwarmer
Melo was the one who got us back in this game in the third quarter. He played all game against two of the better defenders in the league (Butler and Deng), not to mention Noah in the post.

I actually like what I saw from this game. Chandler is beasting so far. Bargnani showed he can do something - definitely a confidence player, and Felton is slashing and fearlessly attacking the rim. Likewise Hardaway is running the floor well, and Shumpert's was excellent. He just has to attack the rim more.

All in all, we're a better team than last year. We just need a defensive power forward.Hopefully Martin can play a few ga,es/

PaPZ187

Benchwarmer
You need Doc Rivers or Popovich in those situations. ISO ISO jab step jab step ISO ISO jab step jab step step back step back pump fake pump fake.....

CLANK!!!!!!

Living in Boston area and having a chance to see a good amount of Celtics games during their past run......Doc would run ISO Pierce similar to what we ran with Melo atleast 75% of the time in those situations.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

LeFlume

All Star
When you're down by 1 Why go for a three pointer? It was plenty of time to drive to the basket. I Don't get that last play at all. Smh

bigapple

Starter
Why always MELO is finisher
why they cant pass ball to fastest Timmy
why no one was driving into paint
that why Knicks loose that game

Rose game winner was just lucky

some baskets by Bulls made when their foot was out of bounds refs calls nothing bout that.

Kiyaman

Legend
I was begging for Hardaway Jr. to get the ball.

I too, was hoping we gave that shot to the rookie THJ to welcome him into the NBA .. TEAM-BALL

5 sec left in game n we need a 2-ball to win, heres the inbound play, Tyson screen for Melo, and Melo screen for Rookie THJ for the quick catch n shoot shot, win or lose its a team-ball play.
Anything under 10 sec should be a team-ball play, never a one on one isolation play, especially when Melo have 42 minutes in the game. HC Woodson gave this 1 point win to the Bulls with poor substitution, and poor game-decision plays.
Bulls scored 46 points in the paint compared to our 24 points in the paint. The Bulls cant afford to get any of their 4 bigmen in foul-trouble .. that's how it was easy for us to go on a 9-0 run to take the lead in the 4th qtr..

This game prove the Chicago Bulls are not as good as the Knicks this season ....
This game was in the Chicago Bulls home, we played the night before in NY, and we had twice the depth with much better talented players off our bench.
The Chicago Bulls sold their self-out in the offseason by not resigning cheap-labor "Nate Robinson & Bellinelli" to give them 20 points off the bench.

How long are we gonna let Woodson sell us out by giving our $100M player (who keep saying he is 100% healthy) 6 minutes in the 1st half of the game, and 5 minutes in 2nd-half of the game (warm-up minutes).
Plus give one of the NBA's top team-leadership players "Kenyon Martin" 4 minutes per game in the 2 games???

Kiyaman

Legend
Living in Boston area and having a chance to see a good amount of Celtics games during their past run......Doc would run ISO Pierce similar to what we ran with Melo atleast 75% of the time in those situations.

There were never any ISO-plays in Doc Rivers (top passing-skillz) BIG-3 plus Rondo .. Ray Allen was the catch n shoot closer

Kiyaman

Legend
The unspoken word (of reason) why so many Knicks-Fans accepted Amare coming off the bench lastseason .. because
Melo & Amare are a bad tandem on the court.
Lastseason, and now this season, everytime Woodson put Amare on the court, Melo is on the court too.
What makes this real bad, as soon as Amare comes on the court, Melo becomes our primary PG leading the point.
When I seen this last night in the first-half, and then in the 2nd-half it only brang back memories of lastseason.
If we r going to keep freezing Amare out of the offense with this move .. we need to trade him.

Did Melo need to play 42 minutes lastnight in a low scoring game, that was the end of a back to back?
Did Melo do anything to stop the Bulls from scoring 46 points in the paint?
The Bulls had a 10 point lead at the end of the first quarter, and held that 10 point lead to start the 4th quarter.
It was Felton & THJ inside-scoring that started the 9-0 Knicks run in the 4th qtr. to take the lead.

Kiyaman

Legend
The unspoken word (of reason) why so many Knicks-Fans accepted Amare coming off the bench lastseason .. because
Melo & Amare are a bad tandem on the court.
Lastseason, and now this season, everytime Woodson put Amare on the court, Melo is on the court too.
What makes this real bad, as soon as Amare comes on the court, Melo becomes our primary PG leading the point.
When I seen this last night in the first-half, and then in the 2nd-half it only brang back memories of lastseason.
If we r going to keep freezing Amare out of the offense with this move .. we need to trade him.

Did Melo need to play 42 minutes lastnight in a low scoring game, that was the end of a back to back?
Did Melo do anything to stop the Bulls from scoring 46 points in the paint?
The Bulls had a 10 point lead at the end of the first quarter, and held that 10 point lead to start the 4th quarter.
It was Felton & THJ inside-scoring that started the 9-0 Knicks run in the 4th qtr. to take the lead.

xk3smith

Benchwarmer
Does anyone on this thread remember the Knicks just played back to back?? Think they did well for
1. Still trying to gel together
2. Missing JR who is a big part of the offense
3. Just playing a hard fought victory, hopping on a flight and playing one of the top defenses in the NBA

It's only the second game. GIVE IT SOME TIME!!!!

Broadway

All Star

I recall at least 3gms out of he past 3 yrs against us, Doc has drawn up plays to beat in those situations. Garnett and Pierce dropping daggers. I also recall Ray Allen winning at least 2-3gms for the Celtics in the clutch... over the same stretch.

So I stand by what I said. I was referring more to drawing up plays out of timeouts and Doc is widely regarded as one of the best in the business. I could care less how many games you say you watched. Obviously you haven't watched enough or your memory is failing you tremendously

But just for you let's go down memory lane.....

&

Last edited:

groundpilot

Benchwarmer
Carmelo was brutal in the 4th yesterday and followed that up with another choke job tonight. I understand his thinking to some extent - because he has so much faith in his ability to shoot - that it's better to stay outside where he has space/separation, as posed to going down low where he's surely to get hacked (and he'll never got the call).

But he fails to realize he misses these "game-on-the-line" shots far more often than he hits one. He may be one of the best at doing it, but we're still talking 33% or something. In baseball those may be good odds....

For the most part, he has himself to blame because he constantly cries foul to the refs, and this distracts him. Arguing calls isn't professional and it does nothing to help you get a call later... So why foolishly belabor the fact?

Also, he is a big forward. Ergo, of course guards get the call more bc of the simple style differences (how they attack the rim).

Carmelo still doesn't get it. His best bet in these situations is a quick, decisive first step attacking basket or defender. Just like what Rose did. Do not let defense set, and cause your base to get stationary. And stop settling! Take the pass and attack. But he isn't coordinated like a guard, or can he handle ball or his control his body. He knows a turnover, charge, no-call or something bad is the likely outcome.

I can live with the shot he took at end of game though. It was an open look. He choked. I think the previous 4 touches though were a disgrace. Another turnover in a clutch situation. I absolutely hate those spin corner fadeaway jumpers.

Bottom line, Anthony has been ice cold both games and when it got down to it in these fourth quarters... He takes the easy way out and pulls up for jumpers. Carmelo is a streaky shooter. It's not like he is a pure shooter. I don't want him take long range shots with the game on the line.

i think Dolan released those expectations as a shot at Carmelo tho. Meaning if he cannot deliver this season, with his best team yet, then he can opt out and run.... Because he won't be worth a max contract as he enters his thirties. Worst thing for the Knicks is to be a second round team for 4 years. I agree too.

Last year things broke perfectly for this team to get to Eastern Conf Finals. Melo couldn't deliver.

And the idiot starts out this campaign by opening his big mouth, talking nonsense about free agency? How dumb can a guy be? Did the weight of that impact his performance the last 48 hours? Let's face it, when Rose is in top form again, Bulls will be blowing us out by 25 points.

i admit the officials were terrible again. Phantom travel on Anthony took 2 points away, Felton never got a call while Kirk gets to the line if you blew on him. That Reach-in foul on CHi shouldn't have been called b/c it spoiled a NYk fast break. That cost us 2 points.

... and Woodson was awful again with his rotation and lack of any semblance of coaching down the stretch.

What we've learned is we are not good enough to beat MIA, InDY or Chi in a 7 game series. We have no answer in the half court set except ISO to Melo, which doesn't work. We will never get calls from refs, and our coach crumbles when we need him most. Expecting the results to change when you deploy the same strategy is insane. It's exactly why Woody and Melo have been disasters in the playoffs. Basketball is all about movement. You get stagnant, you lose.

Sure, we'll win 48-52 games. If we get a top 3 seed, we probably win a playoff series. Then it will all come crumbling down. Shump will never be more than a tease, STAT is done.

i so hope I am wrong. I hope Bargs and JR are enough to compliment Melo, and that Felton and TC stay healthy and that Shump and Hardaway become stars. And that Melo goes DIRK for us and has a miraculous run come June. But, if it were my money, If we lose in the first or second round again and Melo opts out.... I don't give him the max. I let him walk. He will look like a fool, for forcing himself out of Denver to come here and then running away. I let him walk. I suck for a season, get a top pick and clear the payroll and reset everything.

I am just tired of this Melo-drama. It's ugly basketball. And he's just not that good. And even if he were a top 10 player in the NBA, he still needs a sidekick. We do not have a second star. We don't even have a third star. We have some good players.... But that's not enough.

It's the Ewing era all over again. The early 90s. We know CHI, Indy and MIA are going to best us... We watch anyway.... But no matter what happens the next 80 games.... We know it's coming. Melo goes ice cold in June. 6-23. Clank, brick, and then we go home.

Great post. You are right about Dolan. He may not be as dumb as we think. His announcement about winning it all expectation is a direct shot at Melo. Deliver now or get lost.
How many times we have to go down at the end of a close game with Melo taking a jump shot?
We only needed 1 point to send it to the OT. And what does our coach do? Even my dog knew who was going to take the last shot.
What an ugly game and what an ugly finish. We could still win this game as DRose was just terrible, lucky rainbow shot at the end, Tyson missing a critical free throw.
We are too predictible on the offensive end. Cant beat top teams that way.

skisloper

Starter
Great post. You are right about Dolan. He may not be as dumb as we think. His announcement about winning it all expectation is a direct shot at Melo. Deliver now or get lost.
How many times we have to go down at the end of a close game with Melo taking a jump shot?
We only needed 1 point to send it to the OT. And what does our coach do? Even my dog knew who was going to take the last shot.
What an ugly game and what an ugly finish. We could still win this game as DRose was just terrible, lucky rainbow shot at the end, Tyson missing a critical free throw.
We are too predictible on the offensive end. Cant beat top teams that way.

After we tied the game the next 2 possessions were ISO MELO........After we seemed to have a nice flow I do not know why we went to ISO MELO and I wonder if Coach Woodson called it out.......

Coaches coaching against the Knicks must love it......with the Knicks getting the last shot its always the same play with Melo getting the ball and shooting from the same spot......Why Melo does not drive on that play and opens the possibility of getting fouled I just do not know............

When JR comes back what happens with Hardaway.....

Its also only a matter of time until the AMARE situation blows up......I hate Amare's contract and hate his defense but this 11 minute crap is just garbage........Either bench him or play him.....I mean what can a player possibly due every pther game in 11 minutes except disrupt the flow of a game......

NY17KNICKS

★Melo Mafia★
It's easy to blame Melo for the ISO play but maybe we should get a head coach that is actually in control of his players?

Our defense is good under Woodson yes but he's proven that's clueless with rotation and clearly our offense lives and dies by Melo and the 3 ball. Being a Melo fan, even I'm getting sick of the constant feeding to Melo down the stretch when clearly we were rolling and there was open players to pass to. Melo can get it done, you forget that but there was better opportunities but if the coach is constantly blowing him it's hard to wonder why we lose. Woodson is our next stop gap.

skisloper

Starter
It's easy to blame Melo for the ISO play but maybe we should get a head coach that is actually in control of his players?

Our defense is good under Woodson yes but he's proven that's clueless with rotation and clearly our offense lives and dies by Melo and the 3 ball. Being a Melo fan, even I'm getting sick of the constant feeding to Melo down the stretch when clearly we were rolling and there was open players to pass to. Melo can get it done, you forget that but there was better opportunities but if the coach is constantly blowing him it's hard to wonder why we lose. Woodson is our next stop gap.

Woodson did the same thing with Joe Johnson in Atlanta.........I do not think you can blame Melo .
Woody coaches scared and thats why he never gets him team too far in the playoffs despite how well they do in the regular season.....He ALWAYS resorts to the safest option so MELO goes ISO ......OR if JR is 1-10 in the first half in Woodsons mind eventually JR will get hot.....Woodson never plays into the equation what damage is alrady done to get a player hot...