Knicks looking to trade JR Smith

metrocard

Legend
ESPNSteinLine 3m
Story going online now from @IanBegley & I: ESPN sources say Knicks, challenging as it sounds, have begun exploring J.R. Smith trade options

JR to Detroit for Jonas Jerebko and 2nd round pick. Jerebko got 1 left plus a player option at 4.5 million. Addition by subtraction move for the Knicks. Detroit doesnt seem to conduct IQ tests prior to signings or trades

Lets do it!!!

tiger0330

Legend
Like most Knick signings the front office made their bed and must lay in it. Teams see the real JR, walk the straight and narrow for a season, play your butt off and get paid by the Knicks. I don't see how you can trade a 30% shooter making 6M a year unless you package him with Shump or Timmy or picks we don't have.

Number3

Benchwarmer
i dont think anyone will want him right now.. our best action would be to let him pick up his game so he could attract offers...

if we were to keep him.. This damn potatoe head coach.. needs to stop playin him so damn much and play Tim hard. jr

skisloper

Starter
i dont think anyone will want him right now.. our best action would be to let him pick up his game so he could attract offers...

if we were to keep him.. This damn potatoe head coach.. needs to stop playin him so damn much and play Tim hard. jr

Not a single team made JR an offer after he won 6th man award and put up his best career numbers......NOBODY WANTED HIM THEN AND NOBODY WANTS HIM NOW.....We are stuck with him ...

the ONLY reason JR's antics even effect the Knicks is because WOOdy treats him like a superstar.......
All the crap JR pulls this shoelace thing will be the straw that breaks the camels back for Woody ?????? The ONLY reason why Woody is speaking against JR is because the NBA made a big deal of it.....remember 5 days ago Woody was blaming Urich for passing to our 4th quarter PG ( JR ) AT THE TOP OF THE KEY WITH 18 SECONDS LEFT.....

WOODY EMPOWERS JRS TO BE WHO HE IS....

KingCharles34

All Star
JR to Detroit for Jonas Jerebko and 2nd round pick. Jerebko got 1 left plus a player option at 4.5 million. Addition by subtraction move for the Knicks. Detroit doesnt seem to conduct IQ tests prior to signings or trades

Lets do it!!!
deadmanny.png CsL1W.png

I wasnt sold on trading Smith until all this happened. For a month now i've thought it'd make sense to trade JR before Shump and Hardaway. Im glad theres no more Shumpert trade rumors

JR...Im still thankful for what he did last season. But ever since he disappeared in the playoffs he hasnt been the same and hes been a distraction to the team. I hope this happens, I'm about as excited as JR Smith on the 20th of April

T8pJVls.png

As the great MSGKnicks33 once said....

"F*ck Outta here"

camby.png

Last edited:

metrocard

Legend
View attachment 438 View attachment 439

I wasnt sold on trading Smith until all this happened. For a month now i've thought it'd make sense to trade JR before Shump and Hardaway. Im glad theres no more Shumpert trade rumors

JR...Im still thankful for what he did last season. But ever since he disappeared in the playoffs he hasnt been the same and hes been a distraction to the team. I hope this happens, I'm about as excited as JR Smith on the 20th of April

View attachment 440

"F*ck Outta here"

View attachment 441

Notice how we started winning when Chris Smith was waived?

I think the sooner we trade Smith, the sooner we become better.

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
View attachment 438 View attachment 439

View attachment 440

"F*ck Outta here"

View attachment 441
I was pulling for J.R. for a while. He seemed to make a lot of progress as a player and a person. I disliked Woodson as the coach more than J.R.'s play, but this dirty play, tweeting he always did that, and doing it the next game made me had it with him too. The Instagram thing about his brother also was bad.

Last edited:
JR Smith is literally untradeable under any circumstances to any team unless we are forcing another team to take him while they also steal from us yet another 1st round pick or Shump/THJ for nothing. This is literally the most unbelievable rumor in the history of sports that we are trying to shop JR today.

Kiyaman

Legend
Not a single team made JR an offer after he won 6th man award and put up his best career numbers......NOBODY WANTED HIM THEN AND NOBODY WANTS HIM NOW.....We are stuck with him ...

the ONLY reason JR's antics even effect the Knicks is because WOOdy treats him like a superstar.......
All the crap JR pulls this shoelace thing will be the straw that breaks the camels back for Woody ?????? The ONLY reason why Woody is speaking against JR is because the NBA made a big deal of it.....remember 5 days ago Woody was blaming Urich for passing to our 4th quarter PG ( JR ) AT THE TOP OF THE KEY WITH 18 SECONDS LEFT.....

WOODY EMPOWERS JRS TO BE WHO HE IS....

So so true .. :agreed: .. lastseason JR & Felton looked somewhat decent bc Jason Kidd veteran-influence to lower the "Turn-Overs" in our guard-rotation worked so well, especially in the 4th quarter of each game, where it was Kidds decision-making on the court for the final 8 minutes of a game.

There are 2 reasons why I dont believe the Knicks are shopping JR.smith:
1) ISO-Melo recruited JR.smith to become a Knicks at a time when we really didnt need JR services.
2) We dont have a president GM, or an assistant GM to make wise small trade moves.

skisloper

Starter
I'll trade a second round pick just to get JR off this team, thats how badly I want him off.

A 2nd round pick is not the incentive someone is looking for..........

JR is the spotlight solely by the way Woodson handles the situation......If Woody benches him he cannot hurt us on the court. If benching him humbles JR then maybe using him 18 minutes a game can be beneficial.....
Instead.....Woody gives JR power....its the like the more JR does wrong on and off the court the more Woody embraces him......This all lies with Woody more then JR,,,,,,this is coaching 101.

metrocard

Legend
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/knicks...rince-will-be-back-soon-enough-055612473.html

[h=1]Knicks bench J.R. Smith, but NBA's clown prince will be back soon enough[/h] By Adrian Wojnarowski3 hours agoYahoo Sport

.View gallery

J.R. Smith has been fined for tweeting, untying opponents' shoes and violating the NBA's drug program -- all this season. (AP)

Within days of J.R. Smith arriving armed with a historic $3 million contract, Zhejiang of the Chinese Basketball League had come to regret signing the clown prince of basketball. From unreasonable demands on the kind of car needed to curry him around the city, to skipping practices for shopping excursions in neighboring cities, to a relentless pattern of insubordination, Smith's bad act had never been worse.
Perhaps his greatest excess of idiocy had been a weekend of running a room service bill into the proximity of $3,000, a source with direct knowledge told Yahoo Sports. He kept ordering food, stacking piles of trays upon trays – "just to see if they would keep bringing it to the room," the source said.
All uneaten, all on the franchise's tab – all a window into a fool.
Smith would be fined more than $1 million in that lockout season in China, which is some kind of stupid considering he had gone overseas on the desperate premise of a money grab. He has come back to the States, signed two free-agent contracts with the New York Knicks and soon will push $1 million in fines for his NBA career. He's been suspended for a reckless driving death and fights and drugs. He's 28-years old, and he's learned little in his life except how to use basketball to get over on everyone again and again.
This time, it was the act of untying opponents' sneakers that cost him $50,000 and the ire of a Knicks organization that has longed enabled – even encouraged – the most mean-spirited and pointless of behavior.
Across 48 hours, the Knicks tried a different approach with Smith. First, they floated the empty threat of trading him. And then coach Mike Woodson benched him on Thursday night in a victory over the Miami Heat at Madison Square Garden.
View gallery
20140109_ajl_ae5_226-f91f0640041c0c1cb9ae1264773ef27a
The Knicks benched Smith for their victory over the Heat. (USA Today)

Smith will be back again, and the Knicks will be at his mercy. After Smith was the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year last season, he found a sparse free-agent market over the summer. And, now, with a three-year, $18 million contract, knee surgery and a suspension to start the season, the Knicks couldn't even start a trade conversation on Smith without attaching a good, young player or a first-round draft pick to him.This is a different NBA financial climate, where teams are stingier than ever on awarding long-term, guaranteed money to those as combustible and unreliable as Smith. Smith's exodus is a non-starter and the Knicks know it.
If Smith didn't have such an inflated opinion of himself, he'd probably know it, too. Everyone understands how this will go now: Smith will tell everyone that he needs to grow up, that he's let down his coach and teammates and fans. The Knicks will start to play him again, and it's just a matter of time until Smith's self-destructive act will resurface. Once again, he'll be ignorant to the score in the final seconds of a game – like the loss he cost the Knicks in Houston – or he'll get into trouble off the floor. Or probably both.
After his release from prison four years ago, Smith sat inside a New Jersey country club, and told me how the death of his close friend, caused by Smith's recklessness behind the wheel, had changed his life. From the guilt over the death, to a summer in a prison cell, to wanting his young daughter to never have to keep reading about his misdeeds, Smith vowed to be a changed man.
“I think I was a follower to an extent,” Smith told me. “If someone would ask me to do something that was on the borderline, more than likely I’d say, ‘OK, let’s go.’ Now, I think I see the bigger picture finally. …I think I need to mature and understand what I say before I say it, and what I do before I do it."
He can make it sound so sincere, but the con never ends. J.R. Smith was raised in a suburban, middle-class home with two good parents and access to an excellent education. He had a tremendous high school coaching mentor – Dan Hurley at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J. – and he has long been taught the difference of right and wrong. Smith's always loved to play the part of a tough city kid, but truth be told, he's a soft, spoiled suburban jump-shooter.
And when Smith's benching ends with these Knicks, there will be no epiphanies. No revelations. Everyone knows how this story ends with him, how the money will dry up and how he'll wish he had done everything so differently in his career. It is sad and predictable and on a collision course with cliche.
Someday, Smith will make that call to room service – insisting upon more of everything – and there will be no one to answer. J.R. Smith is 28-years old, and it is too late to threaten and punish a spoiled, suburban kid. No trade, no epiphanies, no changes. The Knicks deserve J.R. Smith, and he'll belong to them until the bitter end.

tiger0330

Legend
You know I really felt like he turned himself around last year, that he had grown up and found a home with the Knicks. I even wrote that I was impressed with his demeanor last season, looks like he was just playing for a contract.

George Karl said the Spurs or the Heat might be interested in him because they have peer pressure systems that keep guys like Beasley and Capt. Jack in line. I wish Karl was right but 30% shooters making 6M with his baggage are just not tradeable, Woj is right we're stuck with him. The question is how can the Knicks best use JR for his remaining years.

Red

TYPE-A
Obviously JR is of the weak-minded variety and Woodson is oozing passivity. Finally making a decision. A win and next game will show if he's (Woodson not JR who already proved he has peaked mentally) learned his lesson.

metrocard

Legend
J.R. Smith was raised in a suburban, middle-class home with two good parents and access to an excellent education. He had a tremendous high school coaching mentor ? Dan Hurley at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J. ? and he has long been taught the difference of right and wrong. Smith's always loved to play the part of a tough city kid, but truth be told, he's a soft, spoiled suburban jump-shooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Kiyaman

Legend
J.R. Smith was raised in a suburban, middle-class home with two good parents and access to an excellent education. He had a tremendous high school coaching mentor ? Dan Hurley at St. Benedict's Prep in Newark, N.J. ? and he has long been taught the difference of right and wrong. Smith's always loved to play the part of a tough city kid, but truth be told, he's a soft, spoiled suburban jump-shooter.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

And SG-JRsmith NBA career started in 2004 as the 18th pick in the draft by NO Hornets.
In 2005 draft the Hornets selected PG-Chris Paul (CP3) with their 4th pick, to fit in the backcourt with SG-JRsmith.
In 2005-6 season SG-JR and PG-Chris Paul started the season off as starters, within 25 games JR was reduce to a bench player.
The next season (2006-7) in Training-Camp headcoach Byron Scott barred JRsmith from the Hornets lockerroom forcing the NO Hornets to trade JRsmith with future draft picks asap to the Chicago Bulls for C-Tyson Chandler.
The Chicago Bulls accepted the JR & draft-pick trade, but never allowed JRsmith into their lockerroom, they put JR on the trading-block (same as Andrew Bynum) before he took off his NO Hornet jersey.
The Denver Nuggets picked-up JRsmith contract in 2006-7 season, plus traded for super-star combo-guard Allen Iverson to make the Denver Nuggets a 45 to 50 win season team. JRsmith never became a starter on the Nuggets and average 24 minutes of playingtime (13 pts) during 5 seasons with the Denver Nuggets.

SG-JRsmith as a Knicks from 2011 to 2014 has not had any chemistry with any of the Knicks PG on the roster in 3 seasons .. which makes me curious about Chris Smith PG skills tandem in the backcourt with a SG .. namely his brother JRsmith...

petescud

Starter
Consider JR Smith another lost soul the Knicks wasted money on...Yeah we did that before. What i don't understand is how he hid it last year to some extent