Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Crazy⑧s

Evacuee
Melo POTW Honors Highlights

Since Carmelo Anthony returned in Texas to start the new year, coming off a three-game absence from a sprained ankle, the Knicks have been golden ? compiling a 5-1 record.

The NBA recognized the Knicks? new winning ways Monday when Anthony was named Eastern Conference Player of the Week for his three victorious performances from Jan. 6- Jan. 12.

Anthony, as much with his leadership as his scoring, keyed wins over the Pistons, Heat and 76ers in that span. He ranked second in the conference in points (27.0) and steals (2.33) and third in minutes (39.2).

Anthony?s best game came against Miami. He connected on 12 of 24 field goals en route to 29 points, and added eight rebounds and five assists in a 102-92 win last Thursday.

He had 34 points and four steals in a 89-85 squeaker against Detroit, hitting the game-sealing trey with two minutes to go. And he filled the box score again in Philly with 18 points, nine rebounds and seven assists.
It was the first in-season NBA award for the Knicks in 2013-14.

http://nypost.com/2014/01/13/carmelo-earns-nba-honor-for-knicks-undefeated-week/

Kiyaman

Legend
WOW! The press is doing it again .. Melo's double-double performance has the Knicks on a 5 game win streak.

Melo gets Player of the week in the East ..
Ra Ra Ra Ra Ra
I wonder where the press were when Melo's double-double performance had us Knicks on a 9 game losing streak this season.

I must have missed something in the Texas 3 game swing when Iman Shumpert were our MVP of all 3 games (even JR blunder loss, when Woodson DNP K-Mart for Tyson Chandler in Houston.).
K-Mart being able to have a complimentary-performance on the boards with Stat/Barg/Melo on both ends of the court deserve for carmelo anthony to admitt it was a big team performance for us to pull out 6 wins in the last 7 games to lead to our 5 game win streak.

Anthony, as much with his leadership as his scoring, keyed wins over the Pistons, Heat and 76ers in that span. He ranked second in the conference in points (27.0) and steals (2.33) and third in minutes (39.2).

Melo's So-Call leadership without giving his teammates any compliment for accepting "player of week award" forgot our next 4 games are vs Charlotte, Indiana, Clippers, and Brooklyn .... funny kind of leader "I got mine, what about yours" attitude.
Melo learn nothing from the 3-13 start...

Kiyaman

Legend
No matter what you think of the guy, his style is beautiful to watch.

Yeah u right .. how quick we forget ISO-Melo's great double-double performance in our nine (9) game losing-streak to give us a 3-13 start having a easy schedule with 8 games at home.
Your right, Melo's style in the 4th quarter of a game is so beautiful to watch .. when ur the Knicks oponents fan.

u forgot our 10 pt lead disapeared last night when Woodson yelled at K-Mart for beefing with the reffs, something Melo have a habit of doing when the ball is in play...

Broadway

All Star
Yeah u right .. how quick we forget ISO-Melo's great double-double performance in our nine (9) game losing-streak to give us a 3-13 start having a easy schedule with 8 games at home.
Your right, Melo's style in the 4th quarter of a game is so beautiful to watch .. when ur the Knicks oponents fan.

u forgot our 10 pt lead disapeared last night when Woodson yelled at K-Mart for beefing with the reffs, something Melo have a habit of doing when the ball is in play...

There's nothing beautiful about watching Melo's game he was a near disaster down the stretch last night. But his game isn't the only one that's wretched. Melo is playing better all around these past 4,5gms or so...that's all cool and all but his main faults will ultimately do himself and this team in, in the end. The streak continues and we may be on pace to reach ESPN's lofty goal of an overall 37-45 record.

Kiyaman

Legend
The Knicks organization should only offer Melo a contract if he takes a pay-cut, develop our young guards, try to re-sign Chandler at a price that fits with his health history (with the lack of good defensive centers we need him), try to keep a couple of older veterans such as Prigioni and K-Mart, and if we're gonna sign somebody who is not THAT young to kind of a big deal, sign someone such as David Lee who is a great and versatile team player and has a very good health history. Even without J.R. and our team looking a lot better lately, I still wouldn't risk keeping Woodson. He's too biased and has done other foolish things.

I do think the Knicks are fine with their guards right now. It's the coaching that hurt the team.

PG- Prigioni, Felton, Udrih, Murry

SG - Shump, THJ

Got a solid mix of everything there, youth with potential, veterans, and very good/great ball movement from Prigioni.

Murry has played well on both sides of the court. I've been wanting him to get a chance since pre-season. Hopefully he continues to get at least solid minutes.

Great points ....
ISO-Melo dont get to talk about another contract, untill after the 2014-15 playoffs (He's career first-rounder).
If Melo walks, good riddance. With no melo we could try to trade for Linsanity, before Kidd gets the Nets to trade Deron for Linsanity & Casppi this summer.

I agree our guards are decent (Murry/Beno/THJ/Shump), but JRsmith have to be cut or traded asap.

Mike Woodson can not be our headcoach in 2014-15 season (he has no strategic game plan).

Tyson Chandler & Felton production must improve in this postseason games, or be traded on draft-night in June.
The Knicks being able to get ambidextrous David Lee complimentary team service back in a Knicks uniform to grab rebounds would be a winning start for the Knicks.

Kiyaman

Legend
There's nothing beautiful about watching Melo's game he was a near disaster down the stretch last night. But his game isn't the only one that's wretched. Melo is playing better all around these past 4,5gms or so...that's all cool and all but his main faults will ultimately do himself and this team in, in the end. The streak continues and we may be on pace to reach ESPN's lofty goal of an overall 37-45 record.

Without the right decision-making veteran PG in the 4th qtr., Melo will always be a disaster down the stretch.
Melo always want the ball to early on offense to hold for 8 seconds to get double or tripple team in crunchtime (Melo's ISO moves is alright in the early part of the game, not the 4th qtr.).
Iverson, Billups, and Kidd prove that to be a FACT.

jimkcchief88

All Star
No matter what you think of the guy, his style is beautiful to watch.

No Metro these cats ain't basketball fans that can appreciate Melo's style, they are just haters. Bottomline. And these haters are about to get their wish. You cannot turn on Chicago radio with hearing about Melo to the Bulls. And if that happens that means another rebuilding project to suffer through with more GM's, coaching carousels, and busted draft picks. There is no quick turnaround in the Association, unlike the NFL, because there are so few superstars and Melo is one of them. Suck it haters:(

Kiyaman

Legend
No Metro these cats ain't basketball fans that can appreciate Melo's style, they are just haters. Bottomline. And these haters are about to get their wish. You cannot turn on Chicago radio with hearing about Melo to the Bulls. And if that happens that means another rebuilding project to suffer through with more GM's, coaching carousels, and busted draft picks. There is no quick turnaround in the Association, unlike the NFL, because there are so few superstars and Melo is one of them. Suck it haters:(

u think Melo's a super-star too .. not me LMAO
When Dolan fired GM Grunwald, then Melo anounce going FA .. the tanking and rebuilding project was set.

The cheap-cheap Bulls are not going to touch Melo's max contract. The Bulls offered Deng a extension contract of $10M per. Was Deng wrong for turning it down?
The Jordanless Bulls didnt go to the playoff untill the season they drafted Deng.
Deng has been the Bulls quiet captain, and lockerroom leader for 9 seasons.

Cleveland is going to invest a nice 4 to 6 year $$$ contract into veteran Deng.
So Deng could bring some veteranship on the court, plus to tutor some bigman chemistry into rookie Anthony Bennett, and 2nd season Triston Thompson.

Compare Deng career stats with Melo career stats, then compare their defense, and leadership performance to get teammates on the same-page. Big Difference.

jimkcchief88

All Star
u think Melo's a super-star too .. not me LMAO
When Dolan fired GM Grunwald, then Melo anounce going FA .. the tanking and rebuilding project was set.

The cheap-cheap Bulls are not going to touch Melo's max contract. The Bulls offered Deng a extension contract of $10M per. Was Deng wrong for turning it down?
The Jordanless Bulls didnt go to the playoff untill the season they drafted Deng.
Deng has been the Bulls quiet captain, and lockerroom leader for 9 seasons.

Cleveland is going to invest a nice 4 to 6 year $$$ contract into veteran Deng.
So Deng could bring some veteranship on the court, plus to tutor some bigman chemistry into rookie Anthony Bennett, and 2nd season Triston Thompson.

Compare Deng career stats with Melo career stats, then compare their defense, and leadership performance to get teammates on the same-page. Big Difference.

Did I somehow miss the Bulls winning multiple championships with Lu???? Nope and that's why the Bullies let Lu walk and are gunning for Melo. The Association is a Superstar driven league and Melo is a top five player, like him or hate him.

metrocard

Legend

When will you recognize Melo's great defensive play this season? He's made tons of stops and blocks at times we needed it and has gave us great effort defensively.

How come you never talk about that?

metrocard

Legend

You can't be very bright if you thought this roster was going to be any better than a bottom seed in the East. It has to do with the make up of the roster, not Melo. Melo is a superstar and by far the best player on this team, probably the biggest gap between best player and 2nd best player in the NBA.

with Durant, theres Westbrook and Ibaka

with LeBron, theres Wade and Bosh

with Duncan, theres Parker, Leonard, Ginobili and the best bench in the league

with Aldridge, theres Lillard, Batum

with George, theres Hibbert and West

with Paul, theres Griffin

with Harden, theres Howard

every superstar has someone really good or close to their caliber to play next to.

Melo has Chandler, JR Smith and Felton, by the far the worst supporting cast in the NBA.

Please man, you make me sick with these soft and weak Melo-hate post that have no reasoning at all.

Broadway

All Star
You can't be very bright if you thought this roster was going to be any better than a bottom seed in the East. It has to do with the make up of the roster, not Melo. Melo is a superstar and by far the best player on this team, probably the biggest gap between best player and 2nd best player in the NBA.

with Durant, theres Westbrook and Ibaka

with LeBron, theres Wade and Bosh

with Duncan, theres Parker, Leonard, Ginobili and the best bench in the league

with Aldridge, theres Lillard, Batum

with George, theres Hibbert and West

with Paul, theres Griffin

with Harden, theres Howard

every superstar has someone really good or close to their caliber to play next to.

Melo has Chandler, JR Smith and Felton, by the far the worst supporting cast in the NBA.

Please man, you make me sick with these soft and weak Melo-hate post that have no reasoning at all.

Here you go with another one of your broken hearted replies. Team wins Melo glory 54win season rah-rah-rah no Running Mate no Star...... following season we swap what was presumed garbage in Novak/Camby/useless picks<-------(notice the picks aren't actual players) and Kidd and Sheed retire to coach. Turn those replacements into Bargs/THjr/Beno, yet we sit 8gms under .500 and now it's....BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT Melo has no star to play with whan whan whan whan apologize apologize apologize apologize....

Get this little man lame arse talk out of here. You can't have it both ways son, sorry you can keep stomping your feet and throwing your toys across the room it doesn't change the actual factuals.

Last time I checked Melo is playing with a DPOY and a 6MOY and a point guard who's supposed to be better than Jeremy "THAT RIDICULOUS CONTRACT" Lin.

Can't say most of that about those from the list of players you provided by other teams not in case you want to say the awards were overrated and if so is winning a scoring title once in a 12yr career of hella chucking.

At the time of Chandler and Smith receiving them, fans were throwing hissies and whatnot at the idea of them not winning them in the season's they did.

So once again you can stamp down to trump up all you want to protect your huggable binkie but your veneer is EXPIZOED!

Last edited:

jimkcchief88

All Star
Here you go with another one of your broken hearted replies. Team wins Melo glory 54win season rah-rah-rah no Running Mate no Star...... following season we swap what was presumed garbage in Novak/Camby/useless picks<-------(notice the picks aren't actual players) and Kidd and Sheed retire to coach. Turn those replacements into Bargs/THjr/Beno, yet we sit 8gms under .500 and now it's....BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT BUT Melo has no star to play with whan whan whan whan apologize apologize apologize apologize....

Get this little man lame arse talk out of here. You can't have it both ways son, sorry you can keep stomping your feet and throwing your toys across the room it doesn't change the actual factuals.

Last time I checked Melo is playing with a DPOY and a 6MOY and a point guard who's supposed to be better than Jeremy "THAT RIDICULOUS CONTRACT" Lin.

Can't say most of that about those from the list of players you provided by other teams not in case you want to say the awards were overrated and if so is winning a scoring title once in a 12yr career of hella chucking.

At the time of Chandler and Smith receiving them, fans were throwing hissies and whatnot at the idea of them not winning them in the season's they did.

So once again you can stamp down to trump up all you want to protect your huggable binkie but your veneer is EXPIZOED!

And there you have folks....Another Jeremy Lin fan STILL pissed the Knicks didn't overpay the D-Leaguer. I thought we cleared all you guys out of here last year but I guess it comes back like the clap. Go troll the Rockets boards where you belong. This is KO.COM.

Broadway

All Star
And there you have folks....Another Jeremy Lin fan STILL pissed the Knicks didn't overpay the D-Leaguer. I thought we cleared all you guys out of here last year but I guess it comes back like the clap. Go troll the Rockets boards where you belong. This is KO.COM.

ROTFLOLMNOP90x....!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Jeremey is a nice piece to have building towards something in the future but I also was tempered on him and did not get caught up in LINSANITY! I thought he might be an above average starting point guard or a very good backup coming off the bench. I had his peak production specd at 14-16ppg 6-7ast so no I wasn't pigging out on him. I usually try to stay as level headed as possible no matter who plays here highs or lows.

Problem is we need to dispose of those who want to hold on to false hopes, mythical dreams, fairytale aspirations on a player who's game is reaching prehistoric levels of a passing generation.

Go find another Guido to join your Kiddy Camp.

metrocard

Legend

You make this too easy.
Well it's not one of your best, but lets dig in deep on this; I think you need it.

Bargs is trash
Beno is trash
Hardaway Jr. is a rookie.

So you prove nothing there, they're horrible replacements and will never compare to what George, James, Durant, Aldridge etc have.

Melo lead his team to 54 wins with no running mate, that team wasn't even that strong. It was a gimmicky team that got exposed in the playoffs, but the fact is Melo was our leader offensively and without him we barely even make the 8th seed that season.

This conversation is about teammates, not Melo. You know better than anyone how great Melo is, even this season he has shut you up; he's playing better all around than last year(better rebounds, defense, passing and still averaging 26-27 ppg).

The fact is, Melo's supporting cast is weak.

You said "Chandler was DPOY",
That was two seasons ago.

Ever since that he's been average on defense (ranked 15th amongst centers in the NBA last year in interior defense) and this season he's been injury prone and unable to stay healthy. Chandler isn't a strong supporting cast for Melo, Chandler is too fragile like your argument.

6th man of the year, you're talking about JR Smith? Wait a minute, are you desperately trying to make a case for JR Smith being a worthy running man for Melo? Way to kill your argument to complete instant death. R.I.P.

Any Knick fan with logic would known that Felton was never better than Lin just based on the fact Lin is better off the pick and roll and can play defense.

However, Lin is an average PG, he's below Goran Dragic. I'm mentioning guys like Parker and Westbrook, but you mention guys like Lin.

Don't you see where this argument stands?

It will always favor Melo.
Melo suffers from playing with a low tier supporting cast and you continue to help the argument by pointing these things out consistently.

I would not say you do this all time, but sometimes you post without thinking what may support which argument is presented. You have to consider your points before you throw them out there.

Weak supporting cast = no playoff successful.

Never in the history of the NBA one player has made the finals with a weak supporting cast. Not even Iverson, who had Mutumbo who's 3 times the player Chandler is and elite defensive players at all positions from Lynch to McKie to Bell to Snow and even had Theo Ratcliff as a back up center who gave them 3.7 blocks per game. That team had an identity.

Broadway

All Star
but let's dig deeper,

lol It's not that deep

So in a nutshell….Bargs/THJr/Beno/Artest/Murry/Aldrich<<<<<<<Kidd/Novak/Camby/Sheed/Kurt/Copeland is what you're saying?

I'm saying not much has changed in terms of basketball talent roster wise from last year to this year.

You're trying to handicap tremendously and I'm not letting you. Stop looking at end results and using this to surmise actual talent level. Melo is working with the same caliber of talent if not more... than last year. Especially when you consider Amar'e and K-Mart having more floor time at this point than last year.

It's real simple and here's the problem...What the team lacks is "leadership/accountability/3pt shooting/clutch genes"….this year from last year.

Here's the thing, even if the pendulum swung more favorable your side of argument….it's not 24gm swing in the win-loss column talent for talent. No one would ever agree with you here…no one. The injuries have essentially evened out last year to this year.

Broadway

All Star
I do agree with you in this sense the roster is not good, including Melo…. this year and last year. Last year you were fooled because they won 54gms(I never was), that team played way above their heads. Hence where we're at today supports what I see last year and this year. We're not good. Period! Never was.

Melo's numbers are the same this year and last year(slight increases in a few areas) pretty much as are Amar'e/K-Mart's/Barg's. Everyone else basically has the same numbers except Smith and TimBug Jr cancels out Shump's poor play(although Shump's numbers are almost exactly identical).

So if the absence of Kidd or "J.R. stack hotel trays until they stop bringing me food while uniting shoes Smith" is the difference in a 24gm W-L swing season-to-season, then obviously we traded for the wrong so called star(Melo) and shouldn't pay him 5yrs $130mil on top of what we've already given up to acquire him going forward

or

You could put it this way…replacing Kidd and J.R. should be relatively easy in the grand scheme of putting pieces around Melo so he can win, hence why hasn't anyone figured it out in 12yrs?

Melo is supposed to be the payoff/the difference…. not J.R. Smith.

Oh and the list you made if Melo needs a "RUNNING MATE" "SOMEONE TO RUN WITH" "A ROBIN TO HIS BATMAN"…lol

And the best the league has to offer is a 30yr old maxed out Rondo in 2015 or a maxed out Kevin Love who plays the same position as Melo and is a better PLAYER…...then cut your losses before repeating the same disaster we have the past 3yrs.

Last edited:
The fact is, Melo's supporting cast is weak.

Weak supporting cast = no playoff successful.

Never in the history of the NBA one player has made the finals with a weak supporting cast. Not even Iverson, who had Mutumbo who's 3 times the player Chandler is and elite defensive players at all positions from Lynch to McKie to Bell to Snow and even had Theo Ratcliff as a back up center who gave them 3.7 blocks per game. That team had an identity.
This basically sums up why this season has been such a train wreck. I really hate to be pessimistic but since the summer I already felt like this wasn't going to be our year. The FO did not do a good job of putting quality role players around Melo. I thought Udrih was a good signing but he hasn't lived up to my expectations. We have no backup center, Kenyon is too small to play center, Amare and Bargs are too soft and can't rebound even if there lives depended on it. That is way too much pressure on Chandler and we all know how injury prone he is, it was just bound to happen sooner or later. How can we possibly ever win a chip with a huge hole in our roster like that?. I'm sorry but an over the hill Ron Artest "MWP", a soft 7 footer who doesn't rebound, and Udrih are not good enough additions to be considered championship contenders. The only way I saw our team being a championship contender was if Amare proved everyone wrong and started playing like he was in his first season as knick and if JR Smith or Shump put up all star like numbers. Even with all this said I will never stop believing in our team though and in my mind anything is still possible.