Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Broadway

All Star
Both the Melo and Deron Williams trades were considered crazy rumors until they actually happened. Lebron leaving Cleveland was a crazy rumor until it happened. It's entirely possibly we trade Melo in a blockbuster trade. Regardless of your feelings are about Melo, he is far and away the biggest star player that is currently on a go nowhere losing team, who also happens to be in the last year of his contract. There is no reason we can't look at the 10 to 12 teams in the league who think they have a chance at winning this year and make a sweet deadline deal to get 1st round picks and/or young assets. What we shouldn't be doing is looking to swap him for already high paid players on other teams. Our Front Office is garbage, but our team can easily make a good Melo trade happen if they wanted to do it.

No Deron and Melo rumors were no farfetched at the time…they both had circumstances prior to that led up to them being believable.

Deron got Sloan to quit, Jazz were not playing well

Melo would not sign extension with Denver and asked to be traded

Lebron leaving Cleveland give me a break that was believable to the extent he was entering free agency and looking forward to it, for crying out loud.

My personal feelings about Melo have nothing to do about this rumor having legs.

Do I think it's possible Melo could be traded? Yes because we're a bad team, he's entering free agency and there's a possibility we could lose him for nothing.

Do I think the Knicks and Clipper rumor has legs….No because I don't think the Clippers are remotely interested in trading Blake and Doc Rivers has major say in who stays and who goes and they are winning games, about 5-6gms back of having the best record in Basketball.

Broadway

All Star
So I guess the KNICKS beat the Spurs last night on the road in spite of Melo's 27-10 line. Lol:)

Remember we beat the Spurs last year with Kidd and a few yrs prior to with Wilson Chandler's big game? I mean the Spurs aren't infallible they can be beaten. No team goes 82-0. Those who experience losses throughout the season can look at their schedule and point out games they should have never dropped. It happens, kudos to them for playing like a TEAM, maybe for the 5th time this season out of 30+

No Deron and Melo rumors were no farfetched at the time…they both had circumstances prior to that led up to them being believable.

Deron got Sloan to quit, Jazz were not playing well

Melo would not sign extension with Denver and asked to be traded

Lebron leaving Cleveland give me a break that was believable to the extent he was entering free agency and looking forward to it, for crying out loud.

My personal feelings about Melo have nothing to do about this rumor having legs.

Do I think it's possible Melo could be traded? Yes because we're a bad team, he's entering free agency and there's a possibility we could lose him for nothing.

Do I think the Knicks and Clipper rumor has legs….No because I don't think the Clippers are remotely interested in trading Blake and Doc Rivers has major say in who stays and who goes and they are winning games, about 5-6gms back of having the best record in Basketball.

If you saw Deron to the Nets and Melo to the Knicks, as well as Lebron leaving the Cavs, by January 4th of each of those seasons, you should open a 1-900 number business for telling the future.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't mean that it was rumored, I mean that you knew it was likely going to happen by that time in each of those seasons. Melo to the Knicks and Deron to the Nets both happened in the end of February, until that time it was all speculation at best and Knicks fans were told that we were dreaming. Lebron didn't announce he was leaving the Cavs until the Summer, no way anyone knew for sure what he was going to do until the minute he did it.

Last edited:
And, for what it's worth, Melo has already announced he is going to be a free agent. Melo leaving the Knicks seems a lot more likely than it was Lebron leaving his home town and winning Cleveland team a few years ago.

Broadway

All Star
If you saw Deron to the Nets and Melo to the Knicks, as well as Lebron leaving the Cavs, by January 4th of each of those seasons, you should open a 1-900 number business for telling the future.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't mean that it was rumored, I mean that you knew it was likely going to happen by that time in each of those seasons. Melo to the Knicks and Deron to the Nets both happened in the end of February, until that time it was all speculation at best and Knicks fans were told that we were dreaming. Lebron didn't announce he was leaving the Cavs until the Summer, no way anyone knew for sure what he was going to do until the minute he did it.

Maybe not Deron to the Nets but let's keep it real..the discussion of Deron to the Nets wasn't really talked about at all. The Jazz did not make it clear he was available nor did any major market teams show interest publicly going after him. But no doubt when Sloan quit speculation grew that he could be moved. You'd have a point if Deron to Nets news broke 4-5mos prematurely to him being traded there but it wasn't. I'm referring more to the stories being premature to reality

Miller kept it nip and tuck though meanwhile the Nugz(Masai and Kronk) didn't because they knew they had Nets/Knicks as bargaining chips therefore making it as public as possible to drive up Melo's trade price.

As far as Melo is concerned yes it was believable he would come here because his reps/Nugz made it public he wanted to be in New York. The Melo to New York rumors were rampant at season's begin all the way near deadline.

Sorry this isn't even remotely the same comparison of Melo Knicks/Clipper talk. It would be one thing if say Wojo was introducing this talk but can't be taken too seriously with Broussard. Melo has to opt out in order to get the most money so not quite the same as a Lebron exodus. I believe there is a chance Melo could leave still but it doesn't make the fabricated Melo/Blake rumor true.

I'm trying to educate in stories being premature versus reality. I mean seriously I've never heard an insider use the approach of teams "discussing internally" and both team being more interested in not making a move. That's a red flag of BS if I ever saw one. This is nothing more than social media getting the best of the Imaginary Glorified reported story. This talk was birth via internet.

Maybe not Deron to the Nets but let's keep it real..the discussion of Deron to the Nets wasn't really talked about at all. The Jazz did not make it clear he was available nor did any major market teams show interest publicly going after him. But no doubt when Sloan quit speculation grew that he could be moved. You'd have a point if Deron to Nets news broke 4-5mos prematurely to him being traded there but it wasn't. I'm referring more to the stories being premature to reality

Miller kept it nip and tuck though meanwhile the Nugz(Masai and Kronk) didn't because they knew they had Nets/Knicks as bargaining chips therefore making it as public as possible to drive up Melo's trade price.

As far as Melo is concerned yes it was believable he would come here because his reps/Nugz made it public he wanted to be in New York. The Melo to New York rumors were rampant at season's begin all the way near deadline.

Sorry this isn't even remotely the same comparison of Melo Knicks/Clipper talk. It would be one thing if say Wojo was introducing this talk but can't be taken too seriously with Broussard. Melo has to opt out in order to get the most money so not quite the same as a Lebron exodus. I believe there is a chance Melo could leave still but it doesn't make the fabricated Melo/Blake rumor true.

I'm trying to educate in stories being premature versus reality. I mean seriously I've never heard an insider use the approach of teams "discussing internally" and both team being more interested in not making a move. That's a red flag of BS if I ever saw one. This is nothing more than social media getting the best of the Imaginary Glorified reported story. This talk was birth via internet.

Fair enough.

bigapple

Starter
You have some of the more difficult posts to understand and some that really don't make sense. This was a poor example by you. In the Rockets game Terrence Jones was issued a tech also for having an even lesser emotional reaction after scoring on their end. No ESPN does not hate the Knicks nor does any other outlet. Your mind is playing tricks on you as Ghetto Boys once told us.

u r mostly complaining on this board after some1 other

dont read it when u dont get it i watched this game and i saw it commentators too [ i was watching in as CSN feed]

Terrence Jones scores tech for same thing i am comparing this call to Bosh vs Blazers if u havent seen that go check NBA League pass.

and ESPN hate Knicks

google for it and u will see it if u dont care go watch other teams.

Paul1355

All Star
GUYS wake up and smell the coffee! We suck and Melo is nearing 30 years old. He wants to win. Not lose in embarassing fashion game after game.

Put yourself in his shoes and stop thinking like a fan...

Play on an A level team with superstar help or play on a C level team with no help. Come on. Money doesn't matter when you play with your best friends that are all stars with you, just look at the Heat.

Broadway

All Star

Just like I knew would be the case.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-fyi-20140105,0,572469.story#axzz2pUicxrfy

Doc Rivers denied the Los Angeles Clippers' part in possible trade talks involving Blake Griffin and termed the speculation about Carmelo Anthony as "so stupid."

"My whole issue with any of that ... is that that network to me reports a story that they created and then they do reports on it for the next two days, on a story that they created," Rivers said. "But it's stupid."

Rivers said he did not need to talk to Griffin about the rumors. Griffin leads the Clippers in scoring (22.1) and minutes played (36.6), and he is second in rebounding (10.6) and assists (3.1).

"I didn't say a word about it," said Rivers, who is also the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations and has the last word on trades. "I just thought it was such a non-story."

When I post. take it as me playing Chess fellas seriously

metrocard

Legend
I mean I know your defense mechanisms are kicking in to protect the love of your life but was this your line of reasoning when we were on the brink of striking out in free agency and ultimately turned our attention to Amar'e? I mean the same could be said of him too.

What about the idea of paring Blake with say Rondo in 2015(the kind of point guard that would compliment Blake) or does Rondo's 2015 arrival only make sense or probable if Melo is here?<---------------(twist yourself into a pretzel…. trying to talk yourself out of this direct question)

Is 2015 Free Agency splash rebuild mythical in general? Could Blake not attract players to New York the same way Melo enormously has<----------Pun intended…lol

Doesn't Melo's game/success depend on who's playing point guard? lol

Didn't Blake get his numbers playing with a washed up Baron Davis, rookie Eric Bledsoe, undersized 2 guard Eric Gordon, misfit Mo Williams, misfit Randy Foye etc etc before Chris Paul's arrival?

Relax take a deep breath the story is about as falsified as it gets, although personally I wish it had some real legs and/or strong knees…this story is weaker than Kenyon legs and Amar'e knees though.

I think you're overrating Rondo and Blake. Rondo just came off a serious injury, why do the Knicks have to be thirsty for guys with serious injury history?

It seems like you haven't learn from our past failures and just want to repeat the past.

Who is Blake tho? He's a flopping softy who's not even liked by most of the league, protected and pushed by the NBA but really isn't all that.

TableBL.jpg

Ask yourself this.

How far can a team go with Blake Griffin as their go to guy? Blake isn't even better than Elton Brand when Brand was a clipper.

Blake isn't a two way player, nor he's a player on Melo's calibur.

in the playoffs Blake can get exposed and he's horrible at interior defense. Blake is an actual PF so interior D is important where Melo is a perimeter player who has post skills.

Watch Blake get exposed for FREE by former Knick Zach Randolph

metrocard

Legend
It's really not Melo's fault that the Knicks haven't been able to do anything with him...it's Amare's fault.
Signing Amare to that contract AFTER Phoenix chose not to because of his knees is the front office's fault.
Amare is the reason why the Knicks have been in salary cap hell.
We can't make any real roster changes. Amare has killed our roster flexibility.

I guess it's Melo's fault if you thought he was a LeBron, or KD, or CP3 level player, you thought wrong. He's a top 5-10 player which means he's a very good player that needs a decent amount of help if he's to lead his team to a title, and the Knicks just haven't given him that, because of Amare.

He did have an excellent situation in Denver(strong team with depth, young talent, won 50 games every season) that he forced his way out of though, which is his fault.

NY was clearly not a better situation than Denver, especially since NY gutted their team in order to acquire Melo.
He wanted NY because of the market and the spotlight.
Eventually...we had to know this would happen, we may have been blinded by the light of having a superstar on our team and believing we can contend with the best. The 2012-13 season a high and we're addicts looking for another shot. We won't get it anytime soon and it's time to start with reality.

Melo isn't the problem, but the plan was one of the worst ways to go about chasing a championship. Melo to NY was just for pure entertainment.

Melo could of been apart of a winning team in New York, but not via the trade with Denver where Knicks lose their future draft picks, cap space and best young players. This all started with Amare and it got worse from there. We were running on an injured ankle and this season that ankle complete gave out forever.

paris401

Starter
metro... good post... unfort amar'e aint amar'e any longer... never will be...and the pity is he is a hard worker n a heady player... unlike some others on the roster...

KingCharles34

All Star
If Carmelo played in the late 70's/early 80's, he'd be considered an even greater player then Dr. J was

I don't really get how some of these dudes say their Knicks fans but their in here typing up essay's on why they hate Carmelo

I think he's shown alot of effort to become a better all around player. I don't have the exact numbers and I'm short on time but I'm almost 100% sure the following is all accurate

Career high rebounds
Career high offensive rebounds
Career high blocks
Career high FT%
Career low turnovers

bigapple

Starter
GUYS wake up and smell the coffee! We suck and Melo is nearing 30 years old. He wants to win. Not lose in embarassing fashion game after game.

Put yourself in his shoes and stop thinking like a fan...

Play on an A level team with superstar help or play on a C level team with no help. Come on. Money doesn't matter when you play with your best friends that are all stars with you, just look at the Heat.

How u wana win when your team plays no defence if you see how many space is between any payers from oppoentns and Knicks defenders

look @ Bargniani JR when he is playing there is +- even 3-5 metres space

Tyson STAT they dont play any d

look @ Pacers and Heat D this is man to man D they will send u to half court or even out of bounds

look @ Norris Cole he is young but good coached for D

i rememebr when Bulls passed Nets 4-3 in playffs then 1st game vs Heat 2nd round game broadcasted by TNT Steve Kerr 1st words

look @ Miaami Defence

Knicks are worst besides Shump and JR no one is playing D

so how do u expect that one elite player will win in such team

even Cavs Lebron era were better Ilgauskas many offensive rebs Shannon Brown they benn in playoffs when Knicks sux.

skisloper

Starter
And, for what it's worth, Melo has already announced he is going to be a free agent. Melo leaving the Knicks seems a lot more likely than it was Lebron leaving his home town and winning Cleveland team a few years ago.

MELO DOES NOT HAVE BALLS TO GO INTO FREE AGENCY.............HE WILL SIGN A MAX CONTRACT WITH THE KNICKS WHEN HE CAN............come on guys this is like JR will learn to be a team player....people d not change their stripes..
MELO in NY equals a MAX CONTRACT and NY spotlight
Melo in FA is no sure thing of where he winds up and for what price...

MELO WILL BE KNICK LIKE IT OR NOT FOR THE NEXT 5 YEARS

RunningJumper

Super Moderator
I think the Melo hate or dislike comes from his max contract. There might others reasons too, but the thing that I might get caught up in in not being satisfied with Melo's performances is his contract.

Let's chop a few million off his contract now. He was last season's scoring champion, was a big part in the 54 win season, was a big part of getting the Knicks to game 6 of the second round of the Playoffs, and this season he stepped up big time in rebounding.

Is he a ballhog? No. Is there times where he should have passed? Yes. Al Harrington was a ballhog, and being with D'Antoni didn't help, much like Woodson and J.R. is bad (much worse than D'Antoni and Harrington, D'Antoni loved the three ball way too much and didn't seem to be biased towards Harrington). You know why people don't/didn't bring Harrington up as much as Melo? 'Cause Melo is a max contract player who is labeled a lot as a superstar. Forget the max contract, forget the superstar label, what he is is an exceptional player.

Melo also plays hurt a lot. I know it's easy for us, including myself, to look past at, because we see better players play better even while hurting, but it's not fair to compare Melo to others players. Melo is an exceptional player regardless, on a team that has lost a lot of key players from last season, J.R. has regressed massively for whatever reason, and Woodson is a terrible coach.

Melo isn't perfect, he has flaws which holds him back as being a true max contract player, but he's an exceptional NBA player.

The team has played a lot better since the little break, and if it continues, Melo could get a chance to get a lot of deserved praise since he will be getting a lot more help from his teammates.

paris401

Starter
I think the Melo hate or dislike comes from his max contract. There might others reasons too, but the thing that I might get caught up in in not being satisfied with Melo's performances is his contract.

Let's chop a few million off his contract now. He was last season's scoring champion, was a big part in the 54 win season, was a big part of getting the Knicks to game 6 of the second round of the Playoffs, and this season he stepped up big time in rebounding.

Is he a ballhog? No. Is there times where he should have passed? Yes. Al Harrington was a ballhog, and being with D'Antoni didn't help, much like Woodson and J.R. is bad (much worse than D'Antoni and Harrington, D'Antoni loved the three ball way too much and didn't seem to be biased towards Harrington). You know why people don't/didn't bring Harrington up as much as Melo? 'Cause Melo is a max contract player who is labeled a lot as a superstar. Forget the max contract, forget the superstar label, what he is is an exceptional player.

Melo also plays hurt a lot. I know it's easy for us, including myself, to look past at, because we see better players play better even while hurting, but it's not fair to compare Melo to others players. Melo is an exceptional player regardless, on a team that has lost a lot of key players from last season, J.R. has regressed massively for whatever reason, and Woodson is a terrible coach.

Melo isn't perfect, he has flaws which holds him back as being a true max contract player, but he's an exceptional NBA player.

The team has played a lot better since the little break, and if it continues, Melo could get a chance to get a lot of deserved praise since he will be getting a lot more help from his teammates.

1st metro with a common sense post, and now another one...

STOP IT.... I can't take logical/common sense postings...

Kiyaman

Legend

The Lebron leaving Cleveland rumor started 2 yrs before he left.
In 2008, Knicks new GM Donnie Walsh announced his "2010 Plan" which included Lebron coming to New York.