Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

bigapple

Starter
Heat will not win without LEBRON u have to know that NBA is caring for Lebron calling for him as much +1 as possible. NBA / ESPN loves Lebron thats why now u have King James brand

i dont know if there is MELO brand

Broadway

All Star
Paul George is a better PLAYER(was last year too) than Melo...Melo is the better SCORER....

Give me the better PLAYER 1000000 times out of 10. What has been stated could be applied to so many players according to criteria advancing playoff series

You Melo Lobbyist/Apostles have to stop, you look foolish drumming up such discussion.

Listen honest question had the Knicks surrounded the likes of Gallo/Chandler/Fields along with other young talent in the drafts ahead while making good free agent moves would they have advanced further/won more games? The obvious answer here is YES!

The very excuse being made in this thread for Melo?

But the whole point of acquiring Melo.... he's supposed to make things easier for the franchise because the sum of him is greater than multiple parts right? The obvious answer here is NO!

Appears to me the franchise failed the young players we had then as much as they are failing the players we have now.

This isn't about any singular player and until many of you stop looking at the game of basketball in vacuum(from an individual player perspective) the better you'll be able to accurately assess what's going on.

jimkcchief88

All Star
About damn time. Melo is the most versatile scorer in the NBA. Anyone who argues differently has no clue about basketball. There is a reason that team USA, with all it's talent, runs it's offense thru Melo. He just needs some help to take the pressure off. No one can win a Chip alone. Even Jordan needed Pip. And Co. The venom should be directed at STAT's 20 million making, bench sitting a**. Could have and should have kept David Lee for HALF the $$$:(

Weissenberg

Grid or Riot
Not re-signing David Lee and offering Amare a max contract was probably the worst basketball and salary related move the post-Zeke Knicks have ever made and it's yet another example of this franchise's lack of long term strategy. Looking at Amare's/Lee's 2009/10 stats and their salaries from 2010 onwards there is no legitimate reason to make such a move. It just doesn't make any sense. What we did was basically getting an older Lee with lack of rebounding skills, a pair of bad knees and twice as much on his salary. WTF?

Broadway

All Star
About damn time. Melo is the most versatile scorer in the NBA. Anyone who argues differently has no clue about basketball. There is a reason that team USA, with all it's talent, runs it's offense thru Melo. He just needs some help to take the pressure off. No one can win a Chip alone. Even Jordan needed Pip. And Co. The venom should be directed at STAT's 20 million making, bench sitting a**. Could have and should have kept David Lee for HALF the $$$:(

Stephen Jackson A.K.A. "Strip Club Terrorist" once told us..."He Makes Love To Pressure"....

As the saying goes "Pressure Bust Pipes"....Melo is being paid to absorb such pressure.

OTOH so do other players in this league...they need help too including young players pre-trade who many fans crapped on and never gave as much rope as they this Chipmunk of an Albatross in Melo.

metrocard

Legend
Paul George is a better PLAYER(was last year too) than Melo...Melo is the better SCORER....

Give me the better PLAYER 1000000 times out of 10. What has been stated could be applied to so many players according to criteria advancing playoff series

You Melo Lobbyist/Apostles have to stop, you look foolish drumming up such discussion.

Listen honest question had the Knicks surrounded the likes of Gallo/Chandler/Fields along with other young talent in the drafts ahead while making good free agent moves would they have advanced further/won more games? The obvious answer here is YES!

But the whole point of acquiring Melo.... he's supposed to make things easier for the franchise because the sum of him is greater than multiple parts right? The obvious answer here is NO!

Appears to me the franchise failed the young players we had then as much as they are failing the players we have now.

This isn't about any singular player and until many of you stop looking at the game of basketball in vacuum(from an individual player perspective) the better you'll be able to accurately assess what's going on.

Paul George is the better all around player, but he isn't coming to New York and Melo is what have now.

Melo can play as good as George, we've seen it and Melo has been playing at the all star level longer than George has. George only had 1.5 seasons playing like this, so it's pretty premature, but I'll allow it. He's skillful but his length and athleticism helps him get to that next level. When he hits Melo's age I don't think he'll be producing these type of numbers. Just a projection into the future, don't put too much stock in it.

Well...

Fields is a fraud, rides the bench as a 10th man.

Chandler and Gallo are great two way SF's but are extremely injury prone.

Faried is a beast and we get out rebounded every night. He would be a major plus to us.

Plus all the cap space we can have to operate from and not be chained down by the salary cap like we always are.

I would love that scenario, even with a crappy Fields, two injury prone SF's, a rebounding prospect and cap space over Melo. I wouldn't make the Denver-NY trade and just waited till Melo became a free agent.

But sadly the reality is, we have Melo and no cap space and one of the weakest rosters in the NBA currently.

It's up to us as fans to move forward and look ahead of what awaits us.

Lercher, letting Lee go was the Knicks losing their heart and soul. If we remember, not only Lee gave us points and rebounds, he was a very vocal leader and gave 100% on the court(well not defensively but you get it). He's been through the Marbury/Isiah wars and the Gallo Season. Trading him was a braindead move and Knicks have been a braindead franchise longer than any NBA franchise out there.

Broadway

All Star
Paul George is the better all around player, but he isn't coming to New York and Melo is what have now.

Melo can play as good as George, we've seen it and Melo has been playing at the all star level longer than George has. George only had 1.5 seasons playing like this, so it's pretty premature, but I'll allow it. He's skillful but his length and athleticism helps him get to that next level. When he hits Melo's age I don't think he'll be producing these type of numbers. Just a projection into the future, don't put too much stock in it.

Well...

Fields is a fraud, rides the bench as a 10th man.

Chandler and Gallo are great two way SF's but are extremely injury prone.

Faried is a beast and we get out rebounded every night. He would be a major plus to us.

Plus all the cap space we can have to operate from and not be chained down by the salary cap like we always are.

I would love that scenario, even with a crappy Fields, two injury prone SF's, a rebounding prospect and cap space over Melo. I wouldn't make the Denver-NY trade and just waited till Melo became a free agent.

But sadly the reality is, we have Melo and no cap space and one of the weakest rosters in the NBA currently.

It's up to us as fans to move forward and look ahead of what awaits us.

Lercher, letting Lee go was the Knicks losing their heart and soul. If we remember, not only Lee gave us points and rebounds, he was a very vocal leader and gave 100% on the court(well not defensively but you get it). He's been through the Marbury/Isiah wars and the Gallo Season. Trading him was a braindead move and Knicks have been a braindead franchise longer than any NBA franchise out there.

If it's about moving forward and what's best for THE KNICKS then it's our responsibility as an organization to sit down with Melo and have a heart-to-heart....

Looking at everything for what it is...sorry it's too difficult to rebuild-retool around Melo and he needs to be told this. He can't get his money from us with no picks and limited cap space and expect to win anytime soon. Melo isn't young anymore either. He has lots of mileage and he will start breaking down(already is actually)... it's part of NBA nature.

He can have his money but he has to be willing to accept a trade to a team he's comfortable moving to and a team that can adequately accommodate us with assets.

I say the most realistic destination at the moment is Portland because with their hot start I think they are hungry to ensure they make the playoffs and have a small chance to make noise. They have assets we could use.... most certainly could use.

Last edited:

Broadway

All Star
Melo to Portland?

I'm down as long as we get Batum in return.

Batum would be nice but I doubt they'd offer him. They'd probably want to keep him long term.....

We could receive something along the lines of....

Thomas Robinson
Wesley Matthews
Mo Williams
Robin Lopez
2015 1st no protection
2018 Top 5 protected
2015 2nd
2016 2nd

Melo
Aldrich
Hardaway Jr. or Shump

That's more than likely a realistic trade. We get a young asset to evaluate who was a lottery pick, we get future assets, we get a legit starting caliber point guard on the cheap, we preserve 2015 cap space. To be honest I wouldn't want Batum(he banks $12mil in 2015) as I would prefer to leave the cap space open to outright sign and-or trade that off-season.

tiger0330

Legend
ESPN Insider article on Melo.

[h=1]What execs really think of Melo[/h] [h=3]Knicks star's me-first attitude will prevent him from winning a title[/h]
Updated: November 14, 2013, 3:30 PM ET
By Chris Broussard | ESPN Insider

nba_g_anthony_gb2_576.jpg
Lintao Zhang/Getty ImagesCarmelo Anthony needs to look himself in the mirror, some team execs say.
The New York Knicks enter tonight's game against the Houston Rockets with a disappointing 3-4 record. While it's way too early to panic, it's not too early to say this: Even when the Knicks right themselves (and I firmly believe they will), they have only a decent chance of getting out of the first round and no chance of getting past the second.
Hence, the Knicks' superstar, Carmelo Anthony, is doomed for yet another postseason of failure. In his 10 previous NBA seasons, Anthony, to his credit, has made the playoffs every year. But just twice has his team advanced past the first round. This kind of perennial failure begs so many questions.
So how much of the blame for that should fall on Melo? What does that say about him as a player? What's he missing, if anything? Can he lead a team to a championship, or even to the NBA Finals? What type of team would fit best around him? Should he leave New York next summer in search of a better chance to win it all? Is he really just a star masquerading as a "superstar'?'
To answer these questions, I turned to four long-time league executives who were granted anonymity so they could share their true opinions.

[h=3]Eastern Conference executive No. 1[/h]
In short: This particular executive says Anthony picked up some bad habits while he was in Denver. Is he a winner? Sure, but is he Batman or Robin?

"I like Melo. I like that he competes. He obviously can score at a high level. People forget that when he got drafted by Denver, the Nuggets had won 17 games the year before. And he immediately turned them into a playoff team and took them to the playoffs every year he was there. He took a 17-win team and led them to 43 wins. So he can win and make a team better. I think his problem is that he went to Denver, which was a dysfunctional franchise at that time, so he picked up some bad habits and didn't learn what it takes to really win in this league. If he had gone to a better organization with a truly professional environment coming out of the gate, he would have learned and been more professional. He won big in college (leading Syracuse to the National Championship in 2003). He won big in high school at Oak Hill. He's been a winner all his life.
ny_g_carmelo-anthony_mb_288x162.jpg
Jim McIsaac/Getty ImagesAnthony scores because he has no qualms about taking his shot.

"But early on in Denver, he probably saw some bad habits and was allowed to get away with his bad habits -- like if he was five or 10 minutes late for a shootaround, or if he missed a team event somewhere. As a leader, you can't do that because you have to be able to get on guys when they do those things. He probably never learned that. And after leading a team from 17 wins to 43 wins, he probably thought winning in the NBA was a little easier than it really is, and he never was made to understand what it takes to get to the next level. He didn't learn the little things, the finer points of playing defensively - understanding that you have to make consecutive plays on defense if you really want to get it done. Things like that. So now, 10 years into the league, he's probably Robin on a championship team instead of Batman. He has Batman talent, but the intangibles are missing. And I think part of that is because of what he was introduced to when he came into the league with Denver… "As far as next summer, if I were him, I'd stay in New York and hope I can attract some more help. I think he has to put his feet in the concrete now and look at himself in the mirror. He knows where he's coming up short. I believe he's smart enough to recognize that. If Kobe Bryant was younger, it'd be great for Melo to go play with him in L.A. because Kobe could get him to do the things he doesn't want to do right now. He'd have to listen to Kobe. But Kobe's older now and doesn't have enough left to help Melo win it. Overall, all these people talking crazy about Carmelo, saying he's not a winner -- ask them if they would take him on their team. You wouldn't get many people saying 'No.'"

[h=3]Eastern Conference executive No. 2[/h]
In short: There's no denying Carmelo Anthony is a selfish player. The possessions and statistical inefficiency bear that out. And this executive agrees.

"He's a great player, but he's also a selfish player. That's just how he is. I don't think he'll look at himself in the mirror and say, 'What am I not doing? What am I doing that's keeping us from winning?' Again, I'm not saying he's not a great player. He's a phenomenal player. He's just selfish. He likes the glamour and the big time. Why else would he have left Denver for New York? That Denver team he was on was better than New York. But he wanted the show and the glamour. It wasn't about winning…
" All the talk about where he'll go next year -- if he goes somewhere else, that puts more pressure on him to win. It's going to follow him. I don't know if he'll have the guts to leave. If he leaves, he better win wherever he goes.
" -- Eastern Conference team executive​
"For him to win, he has to have the right team around him. But finding the right team for him is very hard. You really have to get five Tyson Chandlers -- guys that play like Chandler but play at the other four positions. You need guys who will cater to Melo, guys who don't need the ball, guys who don't care about shooting a lot, guys that can make spot-up jump shots. Those are the type of guys Melo needs because he's not looking to be a team player. He's going to be a gunner and just shoot. If you have those type of guys around him, maybe he can win it. But the way I see it, he might end up being 33 years old after he matures a little bit and on a team with a guy or two who's better than him, and then he'll win it…
"All the talk about where he'll go next year -- if he goes somewhere else, that puts more pressure on him to win. It's going to follow him. I don't know if he'll have the guts to leave. If he leaves, he better win wherever he goes. If he stays, he can get the most money from New York and then at some point, demand a trade if he has to.''

[h=3]Western Conference executive No. 1[/h]
In short: Anthony can score, but can he win? This executive says Melo needs help.

"I actually think that, for whatever reason, Melo's always gotten a pass. At the end of the day, he's been in the league long enough where, if he was really a winner and about winning, he'd have figured it out by now. He's had enough time to do that now. He should be able to say, 'Ok, this is not working. I've got to figure it out. I've got to take it upon myself as a superstar to try something else. Try to be a facilitator, make plays for other guys, or like Kobe and LeBron, get some stops. Every team I'm on is bad defensively, let me make more of a commitment defensively.' If he was really about winning, there's more he could do…
"Is he overrated? As a scorer, he's not overrated. He's a professional scorer. And as a winner -- that's what it's all about, right? -- he's not rated highly. I mean, this is his 11th season. It's time to win something. He went to the conference finals one time when Chauncey Billups was still good and they had some pieces around them. As a guy without some pieces around him, Melo doesn't get it done because he doesn't make anybody else better. He's going to play the way he plays, but the team's not going to have much success. I don't know if he can be the best player on a championship team. Yeah, he might lead the league in scoring but he's also up there in points allowed. If you're getting points on one end, you can't be giving up just as many on the other end. To win, Melo needs a team full of defenders -- dirty, grimy, tough guys. He needs a veteran point guard like Billups who can tell him what he needs to do and has the authority to back it up. He needs some shooters, too, because he's not going to change his game.''

[h=3]Western Conference executive No. 2[/h]
In short: This executive offers a past player comparable to Anthony. But Stephon Marbury probably isn't the guy you want to be compared to.

"I love him as a player. I just don't think he's your alpha male. He can't be your No. 1 guy. He's kind of like Clyde Drexler. As the alpha male in Portland, Clyde never got over the top. But when he went to Houston and was the No. 2 guy to Hakeem Olajuwon, he won. Melo's too much about himself to be the No. 1 guy. He's not malicious in his approach or anything. He's just not about winning. He's about getting his, and doing it his way. I would love to have him as a second guy. But as your alpha male? He's not going to win anything like that. He's kind of like the 2013 version of Stephon Marbury. He's not as bad as Stephon, but he's got Steph tendencies.''

While they acknowledge his elite skills, these are some harsh words for Anthony. With him, there's no question that he can score and is a great player on his own. But as a team player, it looks like there remains plenty of questions.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Hes a movie of the week, a one hit wonder.

Ive had enough of him. Hes one of the most versatile and powerful scorers, no doubting that, but hes one dimensional. He cannot/will not defend. If egos could block shots he would be the best shot blocker in the league.

Id prefer a team full of guys willing to do the dirty work and give their all for each other, not themselves.

NicksKnicks

Rotation player
Anyone got Donnie "the garbage man" Walsh's number? Hes good at getting rid of bad contracts...

And also good at signing bad ones....

We are fcuked for a few more years as usual

metrocard

Legend
Can Melo win shouldn't the question.

Basketball is a team game. Melo can definitely win with the right team. That same goes with any superstar that's in the NBA not named LeBron.

bigapple

Starter

forgot something?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swjxOFlhcx0

move to 2:30

KingCharles34

All Star
*Signs in to Team Melo*

5 star thread

Carmelo gets so much unfair criticism. In my opinion hes far from a selfish ball hog and probably leads the league in hockey assists. Theres been so many times where I've seen him set his teammates up with easy shots and they miss. We have too many weak and incompetent pieces on this team.

I agree especially with Woodson and Felton being major culprits. Im still a big JR fan so I might be a little biased.

Time to reunite the MeloMafia, together we can castrate Woody and help bring Carmelo a better supporting cast