Page 17 of 124 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223374767 ... LastLast
Results 241 to 255 of 1850

Thread: Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

  1. #241
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    wtf am i reading????????

  2. #242
    Member JeffVanGundyPLEASE!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    136
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    a great conversation

  3. #243
    is the Bo$$ Toons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Bahamas
    Posts
    2,379
    Rep Power
    13

    Default

    in the wrong thread, on a sports forum

  4. #244
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by Toons
    in the wrong thread, on a sports forum
    Come on dude, if anything we are elevating one of the most idiotic and rhetorical threads created on KO. Do we really need to continue discussing what is clearly obvious, that Melo is in no way shape or form a fraud?

  5. #245
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by TakMan
    Definitely far more democratic than China. But let's not forget our History as well. When times were tough for the U.S, they did not hesitate to turn up the repression under the pretence of a supposed ideological threat. We had the threat of 'Anarchy' in the turn of the 20th Century which allowed police powers to implement a shoot to kill policy on workers who went on strike. There was the McCarthy era in the 50's, and let's not forget the institutionalised racism that existed way into the second half of the 20th century, and still exists in many (southern mainly) States with the passive consent of the local authorities. The war during the late 60's and early 70's, declared on the Black Panther Party who was using democratic and legal means to lift the Black community out of poverty (both economic and intellectual) was-at least- as bad as what happened in Tienanmen square in China in the late 80's.

    Well, I'm a liberal and in no way will I be defending this countries long history of inequality, hypocrisy or misdeeds. I will say that democracy is a messy system that constantly evolves. Our system was setup and evolved in such away that we can self correct unlike other systems that are designed to squelch a movement before it really has a chance to begin.

    That said, there is no way you can compare what our government wrongly did to the Panthers to that of Communist China's crackdown in Tienanmen Square. Just the imagery alone of tanks rolling down the square dispersing peaceful protests was worse. Let alone the covered up fatalities and complete media black out on the subject enforced even decades later. China suffers from a suppression of thought and lacks a means to lift that self imposed veil even in the 21st century amidst the information age. I predict continued record growth for China for another decade or so and then a tipping point that can send them spinning out of control if the powers there don't lift up the burgeoning middle class that will demand the same rights and protections that most of the industrialized world takes for granted.

  6. #246
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by JeffVanGundyPLEASE!
    a great conversation
    +1

  7. #247
    Member PaPZ187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by Sprewell-Houston
    Melo has been legit for the last 5-6 years. I haven't seen him play like **** once since beeing a Knick. Yeah he's had his fair share of problems adapting to this team, but even then he's scored 20 or more all the time. Now he's just on a killing spree. Melo is the type of guy who could put up a streak of 10 consecutive 40pt games if he really wanted to.
    He's probably the most talented scorer the Knicks have ever had (maybe second behind Bernard King).
    He is without question the most talented scorer the Knicks have had in the 28 years I have been alive. We have had some good ones in Houston, Spree, Ewing, and more recently Amare but none of these guys are on Melo's level when it comes to scoring.

    Melo can hit the 3, take his man off the dribble, post up, isolate, got a solid mid range jumper, the guy does it all. Not to mention he is as clutch as they come.....I heard a stat yesterday that in the past 5 years or so he has the most go ahead baskets in the final seconds of the 4th quarter/OT than anyone else playing the game today. The mans just on another level.

  8. #248
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by PaPZ187
    He is without question the most talented scorer the Knicks have had in the 28 years I have been alive. We have had some good ones in Houston, Spree, Ewing, and more recently Amare but none of these guys are on Melo's level when it comes to scoring.

    Melo can hit the 3, take his man off the dribble, post up, isolate, got a solid mid range jumper, the guy does it all. Not to mention he is as clutch as they come.....I heard a stat yesterday that in the past 5 years or so he has the most go ahead baskets in the final seconds of the 4th quarter/OT than anyone else playing the game today. The mans just on another level.
    16 of them since 2003 - 2004, I think.

  9. #249
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by GoNYK127
    16 of them since 2003 - 2004, I think.
    I'm pretty sure it's more than that since he has like 4 already as a Knick.

  10. #250
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    78
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    I'm pretty sure it's more than that since he has like 4 already as a Knick.
    Nope. Just watched it again on the rerun of the game, 16 FGs with 10 seconds or less since the '03 - '04 season. He actually has the most in the NBA too.

  11. #251
    Member PaPZ187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Lawrence, MA
    Posts
    471
    Rep Power
    6

    Default

    Originally Posted by GoNYK127
    Nope. Just watched it again on the rerun of the game, 16 FGs with 10 seconds or less since the '03 - '04 season. He actually has the most in the NBA too.
    Yup, and 5 of those have come this year (most in the NBA). The man is as clutch as they come, and at only 26 years old he will have many more opportunities to close out games in orange and blue!

  12. #252
    Superstar WrongIslander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, England
    Posts
    579
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by GoNYK127
    Nope. Just watched it again on the rerun of the game, 16 FGs with 10 seconds or less since the '03 - '04 season. He actually has the most in the NBA too.
    Would have thought Kobe but he only has 15.

  13. #253
    Superstar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    658
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Well, I'm a liberal and in no way will I be defending this countries long history of inequality, hypocrisy or misdeeds. I will say that democracy is a messy system that constantly evolves. Our system was setup and evolved in such away that we can self correct unlike other systems that are designed to squelch a movement before it really has a chance to begin.

    That said, there is no way you can compare what our government wrongly did to the Panthers to that of Communist China's crackdown in Tienanmen Square. Just the imagery alone of tanks rolling down the square dispersing peaceful protests was worse. Let alone the covered up fatalities and complete media black out on the subject enforced even decades later. China suffers from a suppression of thought and lacks a means to lift that self imposed veil even in the 21st century amidst the information age. I predict continued record growth for China for another decade or so and then a tipping point that can send them spinning out of control if the powers there don't lift up the burgeoning middle class that will demand the same rights and protections that most of the industrialized world takes for granted.
    I dunno mate, violence is a very complex entity. Is there really a way of measuring it? For example, the overt violence that shocked many in Tienanmen square, resulted in the death of several hundred (short-term) and the long-term reform of the Chinese Communist Party. A small victory for the Chinese people at a great expense. What happened to the Black Panther Party (BPP) and subsequently the Black communities through U.S Government and F.B.I actions was a very different type of violence, with similar results that are being felt even today. The BPP had established free schools, free breakfast programs, 'patrolling the police' programs, free vaccine programs, and a number of other community organisations that were rapidly growing by the end of 1969. They were creating an identity within ghettos that was markedly different to that of the past. Riots and despair, police brutality and dead end poverty were gradually being replaced with communal solidarity, reinforced identity, autonomy, and ultimately, hope for a better future that did not rely on institutional, and social reform (that was not really happening) Around ten people including Bobby Hutton, and Fred Hampton Jr were murdered by the police. This may not compare to events in China. Also when Police put into force the COINTELPRO relating to 'extremist organisations', they burned down Panther branches and violently dismantled communal institutions set up by the Panthers in collaboration with local communities. The immediate effect of that violence numbered very few victims. While this was happening, the F.B.I also permitted drug lords to import class 'A' drugs into the ghetto (well documented from scholarly work and declassified government archives) in order to complement the dismantling of community foundations. Now let's consider the long-term consequences of this 'lower scale' violence (compared to Tienanmen) Today around one in nine young (20-34) black males are (many times wrongly) incarcerated. The same figure for young white males is one in thirty. Drug abuse is rampant in many of the poorer communities, and gang violence coupled with police brutality is prevalent. This atmosphere of poverty, crime, and despair is a direct result of a large scale attack that was violently enforced by the U.S government, targeting what was a fringe group (BPP membership never exceeded 10,000 people) that was one the rise, just because their rhetoric and model of community development was left-wing (coupled with the fact that they were representing a much hated significant minority group). Imagine what the crackdown would look like today, had they numbered hundreds of thousands, much like the protesters of Tienanmen square. This is why I think it's incredibly difficult to quantify violence. Remember there's more weight added when we are talking about a 'Democracy' inflicting this level of violence. They are rightfully placed on a different measure, as factors such as hypocrisy also enter the equation. Apologies for the rambling, and I promise to shut up about this for the foreseeable future, as even discussing Fraudulent accusations of so called fraudulent players is more relevant to this forum than this discussion. Basically I guess you can call me a fraud at the end of the day.

  14. #254
    Member keyser soze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    bay area, california
    Posts
    391
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Originally Posted by Knicksfansince92
    Superstar??? No Allstar, yea but he is surely not worth what we gave up and he is already acting like a Prima-donna. $65 Million extension Kid refuses to play D makes $1,600 a minute while on the court but doesn't want to pay attention for a full game. I'm tired of this Guy know and what's crazy Denver reconstructed their team the way we should have imagine AMARE on that team instead of KMART They are easily Finals contenders.
    I wish we could cut fans

  15. #255
    Hannibal Lecter TR1LL10N's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Dark side of the Moon
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    12

    Default

    Originally Posted by TakMan
    I dunno mate, violence is a very complex entity. Is there really a way of measuring it? For example, the overt violence that shocked many in Tienanmen square, resulted in the death of several hundred (short-term) and the long-term reform of the Chinese Communist Party. A small victory for the Chinese people at a great expense. What happened to the Black Panther Party (BPP) and subsequently the Black communities through U.S Government and F.B.I actions was a very different type of violence, with similar results that are being felt even today. The BPP had established free schools, free breakfast programs, 'patrolling the police' programs, free vaccine programs, and a number of other community organisations that were rapidly growing by the end of 1969. They were creating an identity within ghettos that was markedly different to that of the past. Riots and despair, police brutality and dead end poverty were gradually being replaced with communal solidarity, reinforced identity, autonomy, and ultimately, hope for a better future that did not rely on institutional, and social reform (that was not really happening) Around ten people including Bobby Hutton, and Fred Hampton Jr were murdered by the police. This may not compare to events in China. Also when Police put into force the COINTELPRO relating to 'extremist organisations', they burned down Panther branches and violently dismantled communal institutions set up by the Panthers in collaboration with local communities. The immediate effect of that violence numbered very few victims. While this was happening, the F.B.I also permitted drug lords to import class 'A' drugs into the ghetto (well documented from scholarly work and declassified government archives) in order to complement the dismantling of community foundations. Now let's consider the long-term consequences of this 'lower scale' violence (compared to Tienanmen) Today around one in nine young (20-34) black males are (many times wrongly) incarcerated. The same figure for young white males is one in thirty. Drug abuse is rampant in many of the poorer communities, and gang violence coupled with police brutality is prevalent. This atmosphere of poverty, crime, and despair is a direct result of a large scale attack that was violently enforced by the U.S government, targeting what was a fringe group (BPP membership never exceeded 10,000 people) that was one the rise, just because their rhetoric and model of community development was left-wing (coupled with the fact that they were representing a much hated significant minority group). Imagine what the crackdown would look like today, had they numbered hundreds of thousands, much like the protesters of Tienanmen square. This is why I think it's incredibly difficult to quantify violence. Remember there's more weight added when we are talking about a 'Democracy' inflicting this level of violence. They are rightfully placed on a different measure, as factors such as hypocrisy also enter the equation. Apologies for the rambling, and I promise to shut up about this for the foreseeable future, as even discussing Fraudulent accusations of so called fraudulent players is more relevant to this forum than this discussion. Basically I guess you can call me a fraud at the end of the day.
    You will not get an argument from me and the institutionalized racism that still goes on today is a stain on America. That said, I'm sure the average black person has a better quality of life than the average Chinese. (as a white upper middle class American I can only assume) It's an educated assumption but an assumption none the less. I certainly know we have more upward mobility, better income even for the working poor and better resources for the indigent. China has one political power that is more concerned with retaining power and expanding their economy than caring about human rights. So yes, Tienanmen lead to reform but those reforms are still decades behind what most industrialized nations enjoy with regards to human/worker rights.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 568
    Last Post: May 22, 2013, 20:42
  2. Carmelo Anthony Appreciation Thread (revised)
    By MeloforMayor in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Apr 20, 2012, 18:05
  3. Carmelo Anthony Appreciation Thread
    By MeloforMayor in forum NY Knicks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Apr 18, 2012, 22:15
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr 29, 2011, 18:01

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •