Page 18 of 106 FirstFirst ... 12131415161718192021222324384868 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

Veteran

Originally Posted by TakMan
    I don't disagree with the whole Chinese basketball not progressing. However you have contradicted yourself by saying it's a Communist country that "is strictly based off open n free trade, between global corporations." China is as Communist as the U.S.A (i.e not at all.)
    There's a Communist, one party political system that runs the country and economy.

That the, ie the communists, have accepted parts of free trade and economic policies that defy a strict definition of communism is for their survival and military strength, and strength to maintain the overarching Communist party and totalitarian government.

Sure, it's not a pure "communist" country, like we aren't a pure "capitalist" country. But those lone definitions never apply and fit like a glove.

So idk how you can say that China is not Communist in any way...

Veteran

Originally Posted by TR1LL10N
    Well, I'm a liberal and in no way will I be defending this countries long history of inequality, hypocrisy or misdeeds. I will say that democracy is a messy system that constantly evolves. Our system was setup and evolved in such away that we can self correct unlike other systems that are designed to squelch a movement before it really has a chance to begin.

That said, there is no way you can compare what our government wrongly did to the Panthers to that of Communist China's crackdown in Tienanmen Square. Just the imagery alone of tanks rolling down the square dispersing peaceful protests was worse. Let alone the covered up fatalities and complete media black out on the subject enforced even decades later. China suffers from a suppression of thought and lacks a means to lift that self imposed veil even in the 21st century amidst the information age. I predict continued record growth for China for another decade or so and then a tipping point that can send them spinning out of control if the powers there don't lift up the burgeoning middle class that will demand the same rights and protections that most of the industrialized world takes for granted.
    Exactly. +1 all ur posts on this.

One word classifications never fit like a glove. Like the US being a pure "capitalist" country. Sure, technically China doesn't abide by some static, pure definition of communism, but they have a standing one party Communist political party...who runs the government....and controls the entire economy.

And that, at the end of the day, is why pro athletes will never want to be there and china bball wont ever truly prosper like it would in western Europe/USA.

That they don't strictly live up to utopic Marxism ideals is besides the point.
    Last edited by iSaYughh; Apr 11, 2011 at 13:53.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Toons
    wtf am i reading????????
    An educated conversation, not just a slamfest. I know its hard to believe to since we haven't had anything remotely like this on this board in years. When I joined intelligent talk was a daily thing and was the main reason I stuck around KO.COM. Props to everybody involved!!!!

Brooklyn N.Y.........Alexandria,Egypt in the blood

16 game winners, thats insane, and he's only 26. most clutch player in the L since Jordan and i see no reason why melo can't finish ahead of jordan as the most clutch player ever by the time melo calls it a career. all he needs now is a couple of rings

Veteran

Originally Posted by TakMan
    I dunno mate, violence is a very complex entity. Is there really a way of measuring it? For example, the overt violence that shocked many in Tienanmen square, resulted in the death of several hundred (short-term) and the long-term reform of the Chinese Communist Party. A small victory for the Chinese people at a great expense. What happened to the Black Panther Party (BPP) and subsequently the Black communities through U.S Government and F.B.I actions was a very different type of violence, with similar results that are being felt even today. The BPP had established free schools, free breakfast programs, 'patrolling the police' programs, free vaccine programs, and a number of other community organisations that were rapidly growing by the end of 1969. They were creating an identity within ghettos that was markedly different to that of the past. Riots and despair, police brutality and dead end poverty were gradually being replaced with communal solidarity, reinforced identity, autonomy, and ultimately, hope for a better future that did not rely on institutional, and social reform (that was not really happening) Around ten people including Bobby Hutton, and Fred Hampton Jr were murdered by the police. This may not compare to events in China. Also when Police put into force the COINTELPRO relating to 'extremist organisations', they burned down Panther branches and violently dismantled communal institutions set up by the Panthers in collaboration with local communities. The immediate effect of that violence numbered very few victims. While this was happening, the F.B.I also permitted drug lords to import class 'A' drugs into the ghetto (well documented from scholarly work and declassified government archives) in order to complement the dismantling of community foundations. Now let's consider the long-term consequences of this 'lower scale' violence (compared to Tienanmen) Today around one in nine young (20-34) black males are (many times wrongly) incarcerated. The same figure for young white males is one in thirty. Drug abuse is rampant in many of the poorer communities, and gang violence coupled with police brutality is prevalent. This atmosphere of poverty, crime, and despair is a direct result of a large scale attack that was violently enforced by the U.S government, targeting what was a fringe group (BPP membership never exceeded 10,000 people) that was one the rise, just because their rhetoric and model of community development was left-wing (coupled with the fact that they were representing a much hated significant minority group). Imagine what the crackdown would look like today, had they numbered hundreds of thousands, much like the protesters of Tienanmen square. This is why I think it's incredibly difficult to quantify violence. Remember there's more weight added when we are talking about a 'Democracy' inflicting this level of violence. They are rightfully placed on a different measure, as factors such as hypocrisy also enter the equation. Apologies for the rambling, and I promise to shut up about this for the foreseeable future, as even discussing Fraudulent accusations of so called fraudulent players is more relevant to this forum than this discussion. Basically I guess you can call me a fraud at the end of the day.
    +1. What our government did to the Panthers was probably worse because it was covert action. As alluded to above you had the FBI infiltrating a group that was mainly there to teach black pride and uplift the community. We speak of the Eddy Curry's of the world as "lazy", but who was there to teach him a positive work ethic and healthy eating habits. Obesity and the health dangers associated with it are a plague on the black community since we were left to eat the scraps of the pig. We actually have embraced being unhealthy with the "real women have curves" movement instead of physical education and good eating habits. I know many wrongs have been committed against all types of people, but chattel slavery against blacks distinguished itself because of the brutality and long term effects on a race thus earning the name "Peculiar Institution."

Still a Fraud

Originally Posted by Knicksfansince92
    Still a Fraud
    He played well last night, but is a fraud - yes.

BTW: Where was Stoudemire AGAIN?

Melo is a fraud, no doubt about it, but Stoudemire is a fraud fraud fraud.

A fraud times 3!

Next season, keep waiting donchris's Avatar

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a fraud. Anthony is the best or second best scorer in the league. (Possibly 2nd to Kevin Durant) I've been on the fence on D'Antoni, but the Knicks problems are lack of a traditional floor general point guard and coaching. There's no doubt about it. There is no excuse for a team chucking up 30 3 pointers. That's a coaching issue. I've watched games where Amare barely touches the ball or when he does get it, it's at the top of the ****ing key. So the best power forward in the east (struggling but still the best) who is usually very effective in the paint gets the ball in a position to take the toughest 3 point shot in the game of basketball. Why not just pass him the ball to take a half-court shot? Again, these are all coaching issues.

Allowing Melo to take 30 shots per game: coaching issue.
    Handing to keys to the offense over to Tony Douglas after 10 basically failed games early on: coaching issue.

I'm sure you can make a much larger list than this. Here's a thought, make Melo run the point. Just in a game against a ****ty team to see what happens. He's got to get better at making the team better.

Final thought: Driving the ball inside has to be a constant effort. Teams that play inside get to the fowl line more often which can be a game changer. How the **** are you getting to the line when you jack up 30 "3s"?

12th man
    Far far away from the orgy that consist of clyde, 8's, rady, smokes and rono

Originally Posted by donchris
    I wouldn't go as far as calling him a fraud. Anthony is the best or second best scorer in the league. (Possibly 2nd to Kevin Durant) I've been on the fence on D'Antoni, but the Knicks problems are lack of a traditional floor general point guard and coaching. There's no doubt about it. There is no excuse for a team chucking up 30 3 pointers. That's a coaching issue. I've watched games where Amare barely touches the ball or when he does get it, it's at the top of the ****ing key. So the best power forward in the east (struggling but still the best) who is usually very effective in the paint gets the ball in a position to take the toughest 3 point shot in the game of basketball. Why not just pass him the ball to take a half-court shot? Again, these are all coaching issues.

Allowing Melo to take 30 shots per game: coaching issue.
    Handing to keys to the offense over to Tony Douglas after 10 basically failed games early on: coaching issue.

I'm sure you can make a much larger list than this. Here's a thought, make Melo run the point. Just in a game against a ****ty team to see what happens. He's got to get better at making the team better.

Final thought: Driving the ball inside has to be a constant effort. Teams that play inside get to the fowl line more often which can be a game changer. How the **** are you getting to the line when you jack up 30 "3s"?

I disagree with Melo's scoring being that high. I'll take Rose, Griffin, Love, Aldridge, and James scoring over Melo.

Melo is shooting 39%. Don't believe he'll finish the season like that, BUT we're about almost half way into the season. Efficiency > Volume. I rather see Melo get to the free throw line, his shot selection and shooting accuracy has hurt us.

KnicksonLIN.com

I don't like how Melo is playing.

He's shooting like a cross between Chauncey Billups and Tyler Hansbrough.

Amar'e Stoudemire is playing like he deserves 8 million/yr and not the
    20 million he's getting.

I want to see how they play after Antoni gets thrown in a dumpster.
    I don't want to trade anyone yet.

But Jello and SHAT are playing like they belong in Turkey.

Melo still hasn't found his place on this Knicks team and J lin has lead us to 2 straight wins while Chandler has looked like our real Capt.
    **** you can even see how the team listens to Jefferies and huddles around him
    I'm not saying trade Melo yet but we only got him for 2 more years if next year he's ****ty we can move his expiring and Big NAME contract for some good pieces similar to what DEN did

Originally Posted by metrocard
    Melo is shooting 39%. Don't believe he'll finish the season like that, BUT we're about almost half way into the season. Efficiency > Volume. I rather see Melo get to the free throw line, his shot selection and shooting accuracy has hurt us.
    I blame injuries for the inaccuracy. The shot selection, that's just his brain frying.

Hoping that when he gets back by March, he'll have some practice with Lin and Chandler and won't be getting 35+ MPG. (Pretty sure that's what gave him more injuries. Unless his body absolutely totally crapped out, then we're in trouble.)

Default Calling all Melo defenders.

It's been a while since I posted on here as work has me bogged down but after last night i am breaking my long held silence.

I can't take it anymore. EC Player of the Month, a great April. But we finished this season pretty close to the six seed where we'd be against a pacers team we could beat. Why aren't we there? Because Melo didn't like the coach and quite frankly I'm effing sick of this.

Never before in my life have I seen a Knicks player quit on his teammates, admit he quit on his teammates and then have all forgiven when he actually gave half of a crap on this team. This guy is a nine year vet, but he needs a coach to come in and hold his hand and check on him like a freaking six year old?

This guy is a joke. Say what you want about amare who has not had a great year, he never quit on this team and these fans.

And maybe if Carmelo cared for more than half a year we wouldn't be getting embarrassed by Miami.

Watch out, bro.

You are now a "hater"; the scum of the universe.

Melo is G-d, he can do no wrong.

Honestly, I've been around the block here enough and have had enough unpopular opinions here that I am not concerned what any of his defenders say.

I posted this for another Knicks site a while ago, and it holds true now. And maybe if Melo didn't quit, we'd be looking at a six seed or better.

Here are the facts: It is Carmelo Anthony’s 9th season in the league. He makes upwards of $18 million every year. He nearly disgraced himself and acted selfishly in Denver to force his way to New York in time to sign a hefty extension. He will turn 28 this year. And he had to actively ask Mike Woodson to hold him accountable.

Yes, a man with nearly a decade of experience in the NBA with a maximum contract needs to be monitored like a 6-year-old boy. How does a Melo fan rationalize that? I am not making up that Carmelo Anthony did not try under Coach D’Antoni – he actively admitted it. Where have we seen this sort of “I’m going to do what I want to do, and try when I feel like it” mentality in New York before? Stephon Marbury. Steph quit on Larry Brown and quit on Isiah Thomas – and yet always seemed to be absolved by the MSG faithful of any wrongdoing. We ignored Steph crying his way out of Minnesota when KG got paid more than him, we ignored how willing the Nets and the Suns were to get rid of a guy that was supposed to be superstar.

It was never Steph’s fault. Always everybody else’s. How’s that for accountability?

And now we are seeing the same thing with Carmelo.

The fact that Carmelo lacks the self-motivation to actually give half of a crap on a defense reeks not only of the selfishness we saw from Steph, but of the selfishness we saw from Carmelo just over a year ago when he held the Denver Nuggets hostage to get a trade done.

Carmelo begged for this, he begged for the spotlight, he begged for the impatient nature of the New York media (really, guys, how many Knicks games have you really watched if you are begging for the media to show patience?). And what did Carmelo do when he got here?

He quit.

He gave up.

He stomped his feet until a new coach came in to monitor him. Like a child.

The fact that he needs monitoring, that he needs to be held accountable by some third party to actually give a damn is what is scary about Carmelo. Not the missed shots – eventually they should start falling just by simple regression to the mean. He is a professional athlete, an experienced one. Why should he “need” a tough coach to play well? If he’s the superstar worth the bounty that the Knicks paid for him, shouldn’t he be self motivated to actually care to win for the city he pushed to come to and he “grew up” in (I use the term “grew up” loosely – he moved away from New York at 8)?

I am sick of the excuses for Carmelo, just like I was sick of the excuses for Stephon Marbury. Carmelo has now quit on two of his previous coaches, one of whom took shots at him the second he stepped on the plane to New York. Eventually, we as fans have to realize: maybe the player is the problem, and not everybody else.

I want to believe Melo can turn it around, can get himself motivated, to want to be the superstar we all want him to be. But right now, he seems to care more about himself than he does the mental health and chemistry of the other 14 guys on the floor.

I wonder what the excuse will be when he quits on Mike Woodson.