Page 27 of 121 FirstFirst ... 721222324252627282930313233475777 ... LastLast

Thread: Carmelo Anthony Discussion Thread - All Things Melo

For the 3 games vs Heat:
    Melo 40.5 min/game, 2 APG
    Smith 36.7 min/game, 2.3 APG
    BD 17.7 min/game, 3.7 APG

When two major ball-handlers distributed only 4.3 APG, the team is doomed!

Here is something on isolation from Elton Brand:

According to ESPN.com’s True Hoop page, 15.8 of the Knicks' offensive plays this year have been isolation sets, by far the most in the NBA. However, the Knicks are scoring on just two-third of the isolation plays and shoot just 30.3 percent when such aplay call is made.

The Sixers rarely run isolation plays, which is exactly the way they like it. According to Elton Brand, the more different players get to handle the ball, the better the team’s defenseis…

Huh?

"When you iso a lot you don't have that shared responsibility on defense. It's kind of human nature –if you work hard to get a guy a layup, he'll want to return the favor and play harder on defense," Brand explained.

Brand, a two-time All-Star, was the focal point of the offense when he played for the Clippers and averaged upto 18 shots per game one season. Often, the offense filtered through him on the post, which Brand says didn't look like too much fun for his teammates. Truthbe told, he prefers the Sixers' style of offense.

This season the Sixers had seven different players lead the team in scoring in the first 10 games.

"There is less standing around, you feel a part of the team, you feel the movement, you feelgood," Brand said. "If one guy is shooting all the shots, unless it's ingrained in the team's role, I think defensively it hurts."

Another reason why isolation playsmay have fallen out of favor around the league is because the defenses and scouting has improved. In fact, during last week’s game against Washington, Evan Turner said the Sixers were so familiar with the other team's plays thatthey tried to beat their man to the spot when the play was called.

"Defenses have become somuch more sophisticated. We think we're at our best if the ball moves side toside because if the ball gets stuck on one side of the floor these NBA teamsjust load up," coach Doug Collins said. "Unless you're something spectacular, you're going to take a contested jump shot or you're going to be playing one on two or even one on three if they go boxes-and-elbows orsomething like that."

Of course another reason for teams struggling with isolation plays could be the lockout. Brand wondered if some go-to players were slow to get their legs going with so maybe back-to-backs and quick turnarounds.

If one thing is for sure, says Collins, the defense around the league has been solid.

"I don't know if the lockout had any effect on guys and conditioning. I know the defenses this year have been pretty consistent," Collins said. "I think every night we play teams and the defenses are ahead of the offenses in a lot of ways and that might be because we can't practice."
    [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Default maybe

Originally Posted by nyk_nyk
    Yeah it was really that easy. Lol at some of your emotional comments. We never had enough to get CP3. If Stern turned down a package including Odom and Gasol, what makes you think we had a chance? Stop the retrospective nonsense.
    Maybe CP3 maybe not, but building a team requires patience. Dolan got played by the Nuggets. Jumped too quickly because he stopped listen to Walsh, a quality basketball guy. Melo and Amare are completely incompatable. Everyone knows it but Isiah. My whole point is, it no longer matters what we say, the championship aspirations are gone. It sure was fun beating out the Bucks for a playoff spot. It should be a good race against them next year.

Originally Posted by Papajoe
    Maybe CP3 maybe not, but building a team requires patience. Dolan got played by the Nuggets. Jumped too quickly because he stopped listen to Walsh, a quality basketball guy. Melo and Amare are completely incompatable. Everyone knows it but Isiah. My whole point is, it no longer matters what we say, the championship aspirations are gone. It sure was fun beating out the Bucks for a playoff spot. It should be a good race against them next year.
    Why are you even still complainng about the Melo trade? What's done is done. Walsh? Isaiah?

You need to move on.

Funny thing is, when Melo was carrying the team you were probably the biggest fan and all excited about our star. Don't be fair weather. You must not realize how good this Miami Heat team is. Add to that we aren't better AND we don't even have our full compliment of players to compete.

If you're going to bash Melo, at least do it when we are at full strength and he doesn't have to be heavily relied upon because MIA knows if you slow him down we have no recourse.

Superstar

I though this is suppose to be a knicks forum?SMH.

Why are you even still complainng about the Melo trade? What's done is done. Walsh? Isaiah?

You need to move on.

Funny thing is, when Melo was carrying the team you were probably the biggest fan and all excited about our star. Don't be fair weather. You must not realize how good this Miami Heat team is. Add to that we aren't better AND we don't even have our full compliment of players to compete.

If you're going to bash Melo, at least do it when we are at full strength and he doesn't have to be heavily relied upon because MIA knows if you slow him down we have no recourse.

I am NOT excited when Melo is carrying the team. When he is carrying the team, he is still ISO MELO. He just got HOT and hitting his tough shots!!!! When he is in his ISO mode, he is looking down at the floor posting up or jacking up a shot. He can't see anyone else around him because he has no intention to pass the ball. What a selfish/loser of a bum. Trade him for a bag of potato please!!!

Originally Posted by Papajoe
    We don't have to change our view. This is what Melo wanted. It is his team. He dogged it the first half of the season to get his way. He won't ever change the way he plays. He can't play with Amare. He can't play with Lin. He won't listen to D'antoni. There is a reason he has been one and out in the playoffs for his entire career.

Exactly!
    +1

Originally Posted by Cuckoo
    For the 3 games vs Heat:
    Melo 40.5 min/game, 2 APG
    Smith 36.7 min/game, 2.3 APG
    BD 17.7 min/game, 3.7 APG

When two major ball-handlers distributed only 4.3 APG, the team is doomed!

Here is something on isolation from Elton Brand:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
    The Sixers rarely run isolation plays, which is exactly the way they like it. According to Elton Brand, the more different players get to handle the ball, the better the team’s defenseis…

Huh?

"When you iso a lot you don't have that shared responsibility on defense. It's kind of human nature –if you work hard to get a guy a layup, he'll want to return the favor and play harder on defense," Brand explained.

Brand, a two-time All-Star, was the focal point of the offense when he played for the Clippers and averaged upto 18 shots per game one season. Often, the offense filtered through him on the post, which Brand says didn't look like too much fun for his teammates. Truthbe told, he prefers the Sixers' style of offense.

This season the Sixers had seven different players lead the team in scoring in the first 10 games.

Well said and quoted!

Originally Posted by orangeblobman
    LOL, nice.

Melo is a bum.
    I think you ought to change your name to "buttonpusherman"!

Because you try very hard to be one.

What gives you the authority to call anyone a bum?

Do you know Carmelo Anthony in person?
    Do you have a relationship with him, and know how he behaves off the court?

Really? We're blaming these losses on Melo? What about the other guys we're paying? They all get a pass?

As far as I can see, Melo is working the hardest out there (with the exception of Chandler).

Originally Posted by CalBunny
    I am NOT excited when Melo is carrying the team. When he is carrying the team, he is still ISO MELO. He just got HOT and hitting his tough shots!!!! When he is in his ISO mode, he is looking down at the floor posting up or jacking up a shot. He can't see anyone else around him because he has no intention to pass the ball. What a selfish/loser of a bum. Trade him for a bag of potato please!!!
    I can tell you don't watch many Knicks games.

Veteran

Originally Posted by Sage
    Really? We're blaming these losses on Melo? What about the other guys we're paying? They all get a pass?

As far as I can see, Melo is working the hardest out there (with the exception of Chandler).
    I agree. I'm not blaming one player, the Heat have shown they're a far better team. Just pissed about all those pre-playoff comments about how deep we are, we'll be dangerous in the playoffs yadda yadda yadda.

I don't expect the team is going to pull any rabbits out of the hat and win this thing but please win game 4 and not go zero for 12 years w/o winning a playoff game.

Melo is just not a team player or a leader. When things go bad look how quick this doritos eating balloon deflates. Chandler should lead this team and get rid of the overpriced celebrities.

I can tell you don't watch many Knicks games.

I can tell you have vision problem. I can tell when iso Melo is going to just shot the ball. As soon as i saw him drop his head, i knew he is not going to pass the ball. Are you even watching the first 3 games? He is still trying to prove to everyone that he is da man, this is his team. He wants to be like Kobe, but he is not good enough. He needs to stop his selfish iso play, Knicks will never content for a title when he plays like this.

Originally Posted by CalBunny
    I can tell you have vision problem. I can tell when iso Melo is going to just shot the ball. As soon as i saw him drop his head, i knew he is not going to pass the ball. Are you even watching the first 3 games? He is still trying to prove to everyone that he is da man, this is his team. He wants to be like Kobe, but he is not good enough. He needs to stop his selfish iso play, Knicks will never content for a title when he plays like this.
    Learn how to analyze the game properly before making such stupid comments. I refer you to:

PLEASE READ AND PAY ATTENTION!

Originally Posted by nuckles2k2
    If Baron walks it up, eats up 6-7 seconds doing so; keeps his dribble while looking around, Miami is denying Melo all the way out past the 3 point line, he finally gets the ball with about 13 seconds left on the clock, he's now standing at the free throw line extended (way out on the wing), he looks up, and he sees Novak blanketed, Tyson fronted, Baron on the other god damn side of the court -- opposite free throw line extended, and JR desperately trying to get away from Wade or Chalmers....what does Melo do? Is it selfish for him to try to get his own shot there? Where does he apply his truly unselfish mind, and go with the ball?

And in scenarios where Melo is being fronted about 18 feet from the cup, why does Baron....after he expends the 6-7 seconds walking it up...why does he take another 2-3 seconds trying to make the perfect lob pass to Melo behind the man fronting him? Now once again, Melo finally gets the ball, 13-14 seconds on the shot clock, he's either blitzed with another defender, sent baseline so the help can meet him at the rim, or he faces up, and sees what I described in the previous paragraph.

What is he to do?

To avoid those situations, the team needs to get into it's offense quicker. I don't want to blame Baron, because he's trying. But if he's not gonna push in transition, then he needs to attack in the half court set a bit more....I counted Baron getting to the rim twice in the game yesterday. Once for a floater, and the other where he shook Miller. Conversely, Lin lived in the paint.

LOL did that guy actually say he wanted d'antoni here? why so we can still lose?

this team was thrown together, is extremly inexperenced, had no offseason together, and a lot of you dont realize this but amare and melo never had an offseason together.

i like our roster, we just played a much hungrier, healthier, and more experienced team